• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overrated developer?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Rare, because they haven't done anything worthwhile in years. They were great back in the NES days though.

Bioware, on one hand I can see and acknowledge all the work they put into their games, even though I don't appreciate it nearly as much as others do. On the other hand, I think they need to learn something called polish, and also how to make a game more exciting and visually appealing. I mean you got lots of Jedis and sci-fi aspects but fights still look boring, cutscenes are drab and you run around talking a lot of the time. Looking at the some of the cool action scenes from the Star Wars movies, KOTOR is a disappointment in that regard. There's no flash or well-directed action, it's like a dry documentary of Star Wars.
I have yet to play Jade Empire, so I can't comment on that.

I would kind of say Bungie as well, because I never understood the high praise they recieved with Halo 2 (online gaming doesn't interest me though). But then, I thought Halo was great so it kind of evens out. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Rockstar - Only one good franchise, and I wouldn't even call that one "good". Tries to be so over the top with violence, that they forget to make a decent game. But they are the media's darling.

Rare - Overrated ever since Battletoads. All flash and zero substance.

Blizzard - Maybe it's because I don't like hack and slashes or RTSes, that I don't really care for their games, but everyone else seems to swoon whenever a new Blizzard game comes out.

Neversoft - One-trick pony.

Bungie - I haven't played any of their non Halo games, but the Halo series has to be one of the most overrated game series of all time.

Ceb

What the fuck is up with the Rockstar hate? First of all, you can't just bunch together all of the divisions. If you're dissing GTA, then we're talking about "Rockstar North". Personally, I think anyone who outright hates GTA is a bit looney to begin with, but when you piss on all their efforts as DMA Design... then you're absolutely batshit insane.

Some of my picks:

Bioware
Sonic Team
Ubisoft Montreal

Tiktaalik

Ceb said:
What the fuck is up with the Rockstar hate? First of all, you can't just bunch together all of the divisions. If you're dissing GTA, then we're talking about "Rockstar North". Personally, I think anyone who outright hates GTA is a bit looney to begin with, but when you piss on all their efforts as DMA Design... then you're absolutely batshit insane.

It's not about hate. I don't hate Rockstar, but the thread is about overrated developers. You can still make good games and be terribly overrated. I think alot of people think that Rockstar North is overrated because even though Grand Theft Auto is a good game, it's still really buggy, has crappy graphics, and Rockstar is just milking the franchise. Regardless of this alot of people talk about Rockstar in very high regard, whereas I think Rockstar is still very unproven.

Ceb said:
What the fuck is up with the Rockstar hate?

What,did you expect people would actually list who they thought are overrated, as opposed to listing developpers that they hate, yet that many people seem to love? Know GAF much? :D

As far as my opinion goes, most games are overrated, so that would make most developpers overrated in my mind as well. :p

snaildog

ThongyDonk said:
so in this one thread we have 8 people who clearly need to seek medical attention for claiming Nintendo are over rated when they are clearly the biggest selling software house of all time, and Widely respected as the greatest games developer.
DOn't argue the fact cos you're just proving yoursleves to be stupid.

What are you on about? The fact that Nintendo sell a lot of games and are widely respected are reasons for them to be considered overrated, not against. I like the Zelda series as much as anyone, but their output this gen has been mediocre overall in my opinion.

To people saying Bioware: have you actually put some decent time into the Baldur's Gate games? They're really the most polished, open-ended, and enormous RPGs to come out in years and years. From impressions I've read, most console gamers give up early because of the interface and the complexity.

KOTOR was a decent RPG-lite, sort of a bridge between western and eastern tastes, and got overwhelming reviews; not as good as BG but still mostly deserving of the praise. I haven't played Jade Empire yet.

Regniws

One word can sum this up... Rare... and whoever is making "Duke Nukem Forver" the Neverending never going to be made game

jarrod

Banned
Oh god, so many... looking at the JP side...

Sonic Team~ What a spectacular fall from Saturn. Not only that, Naka's assholicism managed to drive away talent in other Sega teams even. Shitty Renderwared Sonics annually is not what Sega needs. :/

Nintendo EAD~ Ditto for these guys and N64. From setting the standard to barely keeping up in just a year. Please, please, please let Twilight Princess be good.

KCET~ Same story for these guys and PSone. Suikoden, Silent Hill and Castlevanaia are a joke these days.

Artoon~ These guys made Panzer Dragoon, Sonic CD and NiGHTS once upon a time? Really?

SCEI Team Ueda~ Though I get the feeling SotC will bring this one crashing to reality.

Square Enix Division 1~ FFX-2 and the entire Kingdom Hearts concept are crimes against humanity.

Omega Force~ Let's make the same shitty game 12 times! Thanks Japan!

Team Ninja~ Shut the fuck up asshole! Your games are shit!

Kojima Studios Productions~ At least he makes worthwhile GB games. The problem here is the fanbase though, I just can't understand how this one trick wonder inspires such zealous worshippers.

Monolith Soft~ What a non-event these guys turned out to be. Rememeber when Xenogears was considered good?

Level 5~ Dark Cloud was videogame scat. Period.

User 406

Banned
Nintendo
Sega, except for AM2, and that's only when AM2 is working on Virtua Fighter like they should be
Shiny
Naughty Dog
Treasure
Climax
Team Ninja
Namco's Ace Combat team
Criterion
id
Polyphony when they're not working on GT like they're supposed to (Omega Boost sux!)
Capcom as of the last year or so
SCEE Team Soho

Sega - I give them props for the Super Monkey Ball series but they are on the decline. Sonic just isn't fun 3d. I can't exactly judge there other games on the Xbox but from the PS2 and Gamecube you can tell they are getting sloppy. Their games used to be like magic, but it seems to have rubbed off.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
jarrod said:
Square Enix Division 1~ FFX-2 and the entire Kingdom Hearts concept are crimes against humanity.

I <3 you. Basically, if I was a dictator and people liked Kingdom Hearts, WOE TO THEM AND THEIR PEOPLE.

And somehow...I didn't know that about Artoon. And it's very depressing.

shpankey

not an idiot
pcostabel said:
Bungie
Team Ninja
Bioware
Visual Concepts
MGS
id Software
Epic
Rare
Mistwalker

Mistwalker? :lol They haven't even released anything yet. And your list reads like someone who really hates the Xbox. ;)

shpankey said:
Mistwalker? :lol They haven't even released anything yet. And your list reads like someone who really hates the Xbox. ;)

Mistwalker has gotten a ton of hype for a company lead by a guy that hasn't made a game in over 10 years.

SolidSnakex said:
Mistwalker has gotten a ton of hype for a company lead by a guy that hasn't made a game in over 10 years.
So, they're still not rated? Anticipation != ratings

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SolidSnakex said:

But, those were some damn good games... Much better than a lot of the Square side of S-E puts out recently (see all the Kingdom Hearts hate in this thread). I'm looking forward to Mistwalker's games most out of anything revealed on next gen.

shpankey

not an idiot
SolidSnakex said:
They still haven't released a game yet. For all we know, their game could be the greatest ever. How about we actually play a game from a dev before we conclude they're overrated?

Picking Mistwalker as overrated when they've just started and before anything's released is the epitome of fanboyism. He just picked every developer that helps the Xbox's image no matter what... the giveaway is Mistwalker.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Mistwalker has gotten a ton of hype for a company lead by a guy that hasn't made a game in over 10 years
Well, that wasn't exactly by choice, that's just the way the JP game industry works (moving from director to producer)... besides, at leat Sakaguchi's surrounding himself with talent. Hopefully he manages to rescue Matsuno too.

jarrod said:
Well, that wasn't exactly by choice, that's just the way the JP game industry works (moving from director to producer)... besides, at leat Sakaguchi's surrounding himself with talent.

Talent like Artoon, the company you listed above as overrated? :)

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Talent like Artoon, the company you listed above as overrated? :)
I was thinking more along the lines of Toriyama and Uematsu, plus I think there's something up with his constant praising of Matsuno. Artoon was Microsoft's decision (and only for coding support at that, not game design).

Razoric

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

How can you call a company overrated when you havent even played one of their games yet? At least wait till they release their first game my god. :lol

duckroll

Most overrated developer ever? GAF.

They always talk as if they know so much about game development and the industry and so on. They trash talk other developers more than Itagaki and put Kutaragi to shame when downplaying other systems. Yet for all that crap they have yet to produce anything worthwhile or good. :lol

jarrod

Banned
Himuro said:
Oh yeah, i forgot Oni. Yeah I'd have to say Bungie is pretty overrated.

Goddamn Oni was awful.

Ducky that hurt my feelings.
Well to their credit, Oni was handled by a seperate Bungie studio than Halo (which was shut down following the MS purchase iirc).

spliced

Sega - They have made a few really good games, but most of the stuff the develop is meh.

Naughty Dog - Creators of random generic platformer with a well marketed name.

Namco - Kinda like Sega, a couple gems but not much else.

Razoric said:
How can you call a company overrated when you havent even played one of their games yet?

That's exactly why people consider them overrated. They haven't actually done anything yet they've gotten alot of hype.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's exactly why people consider them overrated. They haven't actually done anything yet they've gotten alot of hype.
Problem being, to be "overrated" they'd have to have some actual product to base that conclusion off. They don't yet. You can't be "overrated" until you're "rated".

Seems pretty clear to me where the MistWalker detractors allegiances fall already though. Not shocking that Game Republic isn't getting the same treatment either. ;)

jarrod said:
Problem being, to be "overrated" they'd have to have some actual product to base that conclusion off. They don't yet. You can't be "overrated" until you're "rated".

Sure you can. Haven't you heard of rookie athletes that come into a league and sportscasters and fans label them as overrated before they've played a game in that league? It happens alot. Especially when the athelete has gotten alot of hype that people feel is undeserved, which is whats happening with MW.

jarrod said:
Seems pretty clear to me where the MistWalker detractors allegiances fall already though. Not shocking that Game Republic isn't getting the same treatment either. ;)

Do you honestly think GR has gotten anywhere near the level of hype that MW has gotten? On top of that they have actually showed an actual game unlike MW and they still don't have the same amount of hype.

Top Bottom