• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overrated developer?

"Overrated" is a personal conclusion one comes to after comparing a final product to its preceding hype. Therefore, you actually do need to have a finished product before claiming a developer is overrated.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sure you can. Haven't you heard of rookie athletes that come into a league and sportscasters and fans label them as overrated before they've played a game in that league? It happens alot. Especially when the athelete has gotten alot of hype that people feel is undeserved, which is whats happening with MW.
Incorrect use in another field doesn't somehow validate this argument. Keep grasping.

SolidSnakex said:
Do you honestly think GR has gotten anywhere near the level of hype that MW has gotten? On top of that they have actually showed an actual game unlike MW and they still don't have the same amount of hype.
MW has shown "actual games" as well. It's the same exact situation, only GR made a deal with Sony too. ;)

No matter how you slice it, calling a developer overrated based only on intagibles like "hype" over any actual evaluation of content is an inherently flawed, juvenille argument at best. Quit while you're ahead.

Rockstar: When people make a big fuss over a game just because it's from these guys I split my gut laughing. GTA deserves accolades and such, but when Rockstar announces a new game it is NOT the same as, say EAD or Kojima doing that, sorry. This is because 70% of the time when Rockstar announces something we know it will suck. Yes, suck, aside from GTA and a few others.

Bioware: These guys are fairly consistent, but I don't think they have as appealing of a console RPG approach as, say, Squeenix...and they have that PC game genericness happening with their art direction. Imo, Kotor and Jade Empire were over rated.

Bungie: Yeah, Halo rocks. But lets not blow this game out of proportion. I mean, there's not much interaction with the environment. I think some God of War style puzzles and adventuring would make this a game that lived up to the hype, but otherwise it's all about shooting everything that moves. Original.

Otoh, I think right now Rare is way under rated. People have bashed them for so long and I bet when PDO ships it will look a LOT better, because when people first saw the Conker's remake it didn't look so hot, and now it looks better than most XBOX360 games. If PDO gets that treatment we'll have a treat of a game!

Ubisoft Montreal

For all the fancy new graphics, the only real change to the Splinter Cell forumula is a save state feature. What happened to more open ended gameplay, where each way is more useful. Also, the loading times drive me insane.

Ramirez

Visual Concepts and Rockstar.

Anyone who says Tiburon must not like real football :( I suggest you try Blitz this year,maybe it will be more to your tastes :D

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Retro - I liked MP and MP2E, but they're too damn slow. A group their size shouldn't take two years between projects.

Bungie - See above, except they're slower, I haven't liked their games, and they get far more praise.

Silcon Knights - Just as slow, except both Retro and Bungie are better. I blame IGN.

Rare - Overrated no longer. They've become a joke and everybody knows it.

Clover Studios - I like VJ (though it technically wasn't theirs), but the sequel was too much of the same. VJ DS and Viewtiful Dog don't do much for me.

As far as publishers go:
EA - Most of their games just average, but they regularly get 8's and 9's all over the place.

Rockstar - If it weren't for GTA3, nobody would give a damn about this publisher.

And jarrod, SSX is correct. You can be overrated before ever doing a thing. It's all undeserved praise, with expectations of future greatness. Also, this whole topic is juvenile.

The End

Silicon Knights- Hasn't made anything good since the original Legacy of Kain
Bungie- Hasn't made anything good since Myth II.
Nintendo EAD- Hasn't made anything good since Yoshi's Island.
Square- Hasn't made anything good since FFX. In fact, FFX-2 was so bad, it made FFX a worse game.

SantaC

Valve.

After waiting 6 years for HL2, I must say I was a little disappointed. Plus that Counter-Strike source pretty much sucks (gameplay wise it feels very stiff compared to the original)

And where is TF2?

jarrod

Banned
The End said:
Square- Hasn't made anything good since FFX. In fact, FFX-2 was so bad, it made FFX a worse game.
Geez, such a spectacular rip until you wimped out on the last one. Way to let us down!

VALIS

Amused_To_Death said:
Did we just cover about every developer in the universe as being overrated yet?

Just the Western ones, mostly. But shame on me for expecting something more even-handed...

Mallrat83

Banned
The End said:
Ignorant and stupid. Move along now.

ShowDog

Nintendo - Too many people believe they can do no wrong
Bungie - Halo kicked ass, but then there is Halo 2 and shit like Oni
Epic - Unreal Tournament is getting old, Pariah sucks

Top Bottom