• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overrated developer?

Zaxxon said:
Overrated:

Square: Not running it into the ground, just...not doing anything new with the series.

Not Overrated yet:
Rare: Perfect Dark Zero is pretty much their last chance to redeem themselves. What the hell have they been doing this whole gen? Answer: Figuring out how to make the internet collectively LOL
Rockstar: One great franchise, and nothing else.

Not Overrated at all:
Capcom - Resident Evil 4 almost makes up for a bunch of crappy sequals and ports
Konami - Gradius V, MGS2, MGS3, ZOE1, ZOE2, Shadow of Destiny (haters can eat it)

To add on.

Speaking of overrated - whatever happened to Kenji Eno?

cabhand-lg.jpg

Nintendo. :lol
They are an amazing games maker...one of the very best ever, but they're also overrated in a way that make them seem more than they are, IMO.

Acosta

All companies with some interesting game. (see?, we have finished before and you know that is going to be the general answer of this thread).

Mistwalker

Ok, my overrated company is going to be Pepis Studio, they don´t even exist right now, but sure they are overrated.

tetsuoxb

teruterubozu said:
Speaking of overrated - whatever happened to Kenji Eno?

cabhand-lg.jpg

Im not sure. I heard he was at some cell phone company doing something or another.

I wish he would get back in the game just to compose music.

EDIT: I was right. His company FYTO is consulting with DoCoMo on integration of FeliCa services (mobile phone wallets).

-----

Rare is the obvious answer to this question.

The Capcom overrated thing puzzles me, but then again, it is easy to hate on Capcom.

VALIS

Rare has been getting dumped on mercilessly for years now, what a sissy choice that is. HAY GUYS, DOES ANYONE ELSE HATE TAXES AND REALITY TV?! AND THOSE SHOPPING MALLS!

_Angelus_

Banned
echoshifting said:
I don't think "delays" is a word that can be used to describe Rare's "release calendar" anymore. :lol We are talking about a company that basically missed an entire hardware generation.

And you left out the part where Microsoft paid a bazillion dollars for them - years ago - and hasn't gotten anything close to resembling a meaningful return on their investment thus far. Dumping Rare was one of the only smart things Nintendo did this generation.

A company that mostly makes good-looking vaporware, spits out the occassional crappy/mediocre game (Starfox Adventures, Grabbed By The Ghoulies), is overpaid and overcovered strikes me as the very definition of overrated.

Not really. The same could be said of Mario Sunshine. It never lved up to its predecessor. Same with MGS2,Neither did Celda. Youre logic says Nintendo and Konami are overated too then. It doesn't work.

teruterubozu said:
Marc Ecko.

The guy seems like such a total fucking asshole. I keep hearing him bitch about how generic and copy-cat games are these days, to the point where he's pointing the blame on game designers, calling them assholes and the such, yet he's working on the most generic game of them all.

As for Kenji Eno... God I miss that man.

Angelus said:
Not really. The same could be said of Mario Sunshine. It never lved up to its predecessor. Same with MGS2,Neither did Celda. Youre logic says Nintendo and Konami are overated too then. It doesn't work.

Oh come on now...you know better than to throw this logical abstraction bullshit around.

Nintendo and Konami both make good games (imho, anyway - this is an opinion post after all). Even if Super Mario Sunshine and Legend of Zelda WW both sucked balls (they didn't...imho), Nintendo still has fantastic games that come out every damn year. I'm not as much of a Konami fan this generation, but they still make good games that seem in line with the size of their fan base and the amount of preview coverage they receive. An "overrated argument" could be made for both of these companies, but comparing either one to Rare is ridiculous. Rare hasn't had a good game in five years, and yet they are still rolling in Microsoft cash and preview coverage.

By the way, you completely discredit yourself by using the term "Celda." Ass. That "term" was banned from the internet years ago.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
blackadde said:
Just out of mild-mannered curiosity, when did you start playing FPS games and what game was it?

Heh the Silent Cartographer from Halo is the best FPS level i have ever played. The first FPS i played was doom then marathon.

FiRez

blackadde said:
Just out of mild-mannered curiosity, when did you start playing FPS games and what game was it?

I think it was blood or another FPS dev. with the build engine.............
anyway I don't find anything wrong with the levels of H:CE, but H2.....:p

Heh the Silent Cartographer from Halo is the best FPS level i have ever played. The first FPS i played was doom then marathon

agreed,
that level + rock anthem for saving the world track = one of the best gaming moments

Tain

Whenever I read threads like these, I can only think in terms of game forums. So, my pick is...

Irrational.

Yeah, that's right.

System Shock 2 and Freedom Force, despite all of the praise I heard, didn't completely blow me away. Granted, SS2 was still a good game, and Freedom Force isn't really my kind of game. So, maybe they aren't the best choice.

Oh, and From Software. I cannot play Otogi 2.

Then again, the term 'overrated' is pretty overrated.

Why in the hell are you people listing Rare on the overrated list? Maybe if we were still in the 90s, but now? They are the most bashed game developer today next to Sega, and I constantly hear people talk about how Donkey Kong Country and Goldeneye "haven't aged well and suck now." I don't think there is a single person on this board that likes them...if anything, they would be considered underrated if so few people like them now.

Anyway, I'll go with Squaresoft, as aside from Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG (considered their shorter RPGs), I don't really care about their 50-hour+ stories and uninteresting characters.

Bebpo

Banned
Tain said:
Whenever I read threads like these, I can only think in terms of game forums. So, my pick is...

Irrational.

Yeah, that's right.

System Shock 2 and Freedom Force, despite all of the praise I heard, didn't completely blow me away. Granted, SS2 was still a good game, and Freedom Force isn't really my kind of game. So, maybe they aren't the best choice.

Oh, and From Software. I cannot play Otogi 2.

Then again, the term 'overrated' is pretty overrated.

I don't believe anyone thinks highly of From Soft. so it's hard for them to be overrated ^^;

Sure people enjoy Otogi 2, but that's like 1 game out of the 30-50 completely average B/C quality games they put out this gen. From is quanity over quality in full force.

Tain

Sure people enjoy Otogi 2, but that's like 1 game out of the 30-50 completely average B/C quality games they put out this gen. From is quanity over quality in full force.

Good point. When I thought of From, I basically only thought of Armored Core and Otogi. Now thinking about it, there was Murakumo, which supposedly sucked, and I'm sure that's the tip of the iceberg.

Shabaz

Neo Member
Drensch said:
Rockstar, more like one hit wonder.

GTA: Liberty City Hit
GTA: Vice CIty Hit
GTA: San Andreas Hit
Midnight Club Series Hits
Manhunt Hit
Smuglers Run Hit

I count six right there, you must be like 3?? If you can't count past 1.

ManaByte

Gold Member
FortNinety said:
As for Kenji Eno... God I miss that man.

SolidSnakex said:
People that hype Itagaki for his interviews have no idea how this guy runs circles around him.

In a time of shitty GTA rip-offs...the industry needs Kenji Eno.

If he brought back W.A.R.P., he'd probably make something even more bizarre than Katamari.

actually. The ratchet and clank series reminded me of what jet force gemini could have been like if dual analog was around at the time. I think the big drawback to jet force was the single analog. Rare should remake that.

Codemasters - Haven't made a decent original "videogame" in years, Too busy buying licences.

Bungie - Need a big time out from making fps's if Halo 2 is any indication. Halo 3 will be just as imagination devoid if the continual work ethic is employed. And the level designers ARE rubbish.

EA - Shame on the people that buy the franchise.

Rockstar - Tacky cliche buggy software.

Bioware - America's leading pioneer in the field of automated generic character design... mashmashmash.

And I completely agree with the people above that this industry desperately needs Kenji Eno back.

siege

Banned
I don't see why people are listing Rockstar. Smugglers Run, Midnight Club, and Manhunt are pretty solid games.

The GTA series of course is massive. They aren't the prettiest of games and are generally pretty buggy, but no developer comes close to the scope of their games, let alone the ability to actually pull it off.

Flynn

Bungie.

I don't think Rare can be considered overrated. They're widely known to have been in decline since before Microsoft picked them up.

For someone or something to be overrated, many people must retain a high opinon of it/them. A great deal of people are very skeptical when it comes to Rare, therefore lately they've been rated to the perfect degree -- a once great developer who's fallen and can't get up.

etiolate

Banned
Developer? Naughty Dog. Really unimaginative copycat platformers with uninvented characters. Shitty corporate cheese. When I played Crash I could recognize level segments ripped right out of Mario games. THen you have Jak & Daxter, PR tools to the rescue and every hip and overused gameplay mechanic thrown in with each sequel. GTA free roaming! Halo like vehicle combat! Oh my!

Publisher? Konami. They use to have a lot more variety to their quality software. When I thought of Konami I thought of great licensed games, new sorts of games, shooters, adventure titles, beatemups...

Now, at least on consoles, it's just Bemani, MGS and Soccer. Sequ

Excelion

Banned
KOTOR and Jade Empire are both basically an evolution of the Infinity Engine, but in 3D complete with how the levels and loading is structured and it's kind of annoying as well as combat

big WTF here. NWN engine is based on the Omen Engine from MDK2. Cant believe the combat comment, BG system eventually ended up in Icewind Dale which is the best dungeon crawler thanks to its perfect strategic combat system. So many Bio fans were banned from Bio forums because they hated NWN for its Diablo-esque combats, KotOR is a little better but far too easy and unbalanced. Imo Bioware always listened to the wrong gamers, they lost their hardcore fans (they bought 1.5 millions copies of BG) and gained blind followers that would make Blizzard proud. Still even in this state, Bioware is better than all others RPG studios, which is kind of depressing.

on topic: Kojima.

so in this one thread we have 8 people who clearly need to seek medical attention for claiming Nintendo are over rated when they are clearly the biggest selling software house of all time, and Widely respected as the greatest games developer.
DOn't argue the fact cos you're just proving yoursleves to be stupid.

and we have ONE man who quite clearly needs his life support switching off, as he clearly is brain dead for stating RETRO are over rated.
i mean WTF ..... 2 of the most loved and beautiful games this generation with not a bad score between them. You my friend need help.

Redblack

Neo Member
All the developers who make games exclusively for the system I do not like.
:D

In my opinion the last years Nintendo has prove how a great compañy could become mediocre (for ten years they did little improvements in their portable systems, because they were the only ones, they look like Microsoft but in handheld gaming) and only when the PSP came out Nintendo began to improve the Game Boy..

gogogow

Lakitu said:
The ones saying "Hideo Kojima", he doesn't create the whole game himself you know.
But what do u expect from ignorant people.

I see people mentioning Tecmo, Bungie, Bioware, Capcom, Square Enix, Rockstar etc. and then suddenly Kojima.

Top Bottom