• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overrated developer?

This forum is such a japophilic orgy, have people that put down Bioware even played Baldur’s Gate 1 &2?

you still haven't changed your racist ways...

Anyway Bioware has only made one really good RPG and that was KOTOR. I didn't even like the battle system in that game, had to use cheats to beat it. Really good story though!

Played never winter nights demo and that was shit, and Baldur’s gate is probably the same (I don't like the overhead camera system in RPGs)

Only the xbots like to jump up and down over bioware, to me they are overhyped.

DK Country wasn't even that great to begin with. I remember first playing that game and thinking how terrible the level design was.

Doom_Bringer said:

Anyway Bioware has only made one really good RPG and that was KOTOR. I didn't even like the battle system in that game, had to use cheats to beat it. Really good story though!

Played never winter nights demo and that was shit, and Baldur’s gate is probably the same (I don't like the overhead camera system in RPGs)

Baldur's Gate is far far far better than Neverwinter Nights. Much more story-driven, with far better party-based combat.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Doom_Bringer said:

How was that racist? Did it offend any Japanese people?

That's also a rich statement considering new Australian members were blocked from joining this forum.

Sorry if it did offend anyone.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Plus the term “Japophilic” is made up, but was applied in the context for “someone who is obsessed with Japanese culture” hardly a racially slur.

Seriously Doom Bringer how old are you mate? Because I wouldn’t go throwing allegations like that around, it seems you are doing nothing but trying to make an argument out of nothing.

Speevy

Banned
Overrated or not, Bioware will most likely be the most productive and highly rated Western RPG developer for the foreseeable future. So if you like their style, it's not likely you'll find branching morality quests all over the shelves. If you don't, well, you've probably posted in this thread. Again, I didn't like Jade Empire that much either.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Rare. DK Country put them on the map, <<<

Yes, because nobody has ever heard of Battletoads or R.C. Pro-am.

sammy

I'd have to say Bungie .... After playing Halo2 it really felt as if everything that was awesome in Halo1 was just mistakes they stumbled uppon...

They even faulter in their art, and they have Craig Mullins aiding them from concept to direction ---- they manage to turn all his aid into sci-fi tripe.

Tarazet

Do The Mario said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This forum is such a japophilic orgy, have people that put down Bioware even played Baldur’s Gate 1 &2?

Try "Japanophilic" instead. You'll make fewer enemies that way.

Amir0x

Banned
Nintendo
Sony
Microsoft
Rockstar
RARE
Capcom
Namco
Konami
Atlus
Polyphonal
Bungie
BioWare
LucasArts
SEGA
Electronic Arts
Id Software
VALVE
SquareEnix
Tecmo
3D Realms
Treasure

Etc etc

_Angelus_

Banned
Actually none. I ignore the b.s. and just enjoy what I choose to like and rent some of the games I'm curious about. How can I say any developer is overated if I haven't taken enough time to see if its true or not?

I would say Rare is already held in pretty low regard but after all the fellatio PD0 has received from game sites after E3 they definitely belong back on the list as the most overrated developer.

Rockstar and Lionhead are definitely up there, though.

TAJ said:
>>>Rare. DK Country put them on the map, <<<

Yes, because nobody has ever heard of Battletoads or R.C. Pro-am.

But DK Country is when Rare started getting attention in the general public. Nintendo was hyping up their name for it, while it was less well known on RC Pro Am and Battletoads.

_Angelus_

Banned
Does RARE suck that much to some of you really? Hell I loved Perfect Dark,Jetforce Gemini,BattleCorps,and to some degree GoldenEye(multi player only though.)

Angelus said:
Does RARE suck that much to some of you really? Hell I loved Perfect Dark,Jetforce Gemini,BattleCorps,and to some degree GoldenEye(multi player only though.)

So, how many good games has Rare released in the past five years?

While calculating this number, keep in mind the following...

-The massive amount of preview space Rare has a tendency to grab from zines and gaming sites

-The insane amount of money Microsoft paid for them

_Angelus_

Banned
echoshifting said:
So, how many good games has Rare released in the past five years?

While calculating this number, keep in mind the following...

-The massive amount of preview space Rare has a tendency to grab from zines and gaming sites

-The insane amount of money Microsoft paid for them

Delays and too much coverage garner them overated? You could use that same formula you've tabulated towards alot of development houses, doesn't mean you should spit out anyone overated though.

Jeff-DSA

Rareware (now, not in their glory days)
Bioware (for me at least)
Rockstar (most. overrated. ever.)
Visual Concepts
Naughty Dog (yeah, I went there)

lexi

Banned
Angelus said:
Delays and too much coverage garner them overated? You could use that same formula you've tabulated towards alot of development houses, doesn't mean you should spit out anyone overated though.

Too much coverage and 3DRealms-esque delays makes them overrated.

Angelus said:

I don't think "delays" is a word that can be used to describe Rare's "release calendar" anymore. :lol We are talking about a company that basically missed an entire hardware generation.

And you left out the part where Microsoft paid a bazillion dollars for them - years ago - and hasn't gotten anything close to resembling a meaningful return on their investment thus far. Dumping Rare was one of the only smart things Nintendo did this generation.

A company that mostly makes good-looking vaporware, spits out the occassional crappy/mediocre game (Starfox Adventures, Grabbed By The Ghoulies), is overpaid and overcovered strikes me as the very definition of overrated.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
echoshifting said:
Dumping Rare was one of the only smart things Nintendo did this generation.

I Agree, but i still think Nintendo could have done with a few of rare IP's like Perfect Dark to help there image.

Do The Mario said:
I Agree, but i still think Nintendo could have done with a few of rare IP's like Perfect Dark to help there image.

True, but it's hard to justify if the games never materialize.

If Perfect Dark Zero is actually released within the proximity of the Xbox 360 launch and it blows everybody away and goes down in the annals of gaming history as one of the best console FPS games ever made, I'm sure more than a few people will be saying "Man, I bet Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot right now." As it stands, though, I only ever think "Man, I bet Nintendo is laughing their asses off right now."

I really think that's how good Perfect Dark Zero has to be for Rare to win back the respect they once had. It has to be fucking. awesome. "Decent," "Pretty Good," or even "Very Good" are terms they need to rise above. They need to knock this one out of the park if they're ever going to be worth their hype and their price tag, imho.

EA's first party efforts are without a doubt in my mind the most overrated stuff ever, regardless of developer.

Yearly sequels with mild improvements to the same. damn. game. that somehow every year garner consistently high reviews. It gets really, really old, and I'm invariably underwhelmed by the utter lack of originality and progress in their titles.

ManaByte

Gold Member
8.6 GREAT! said:
Bioware.
This gen atleast.

Bioware makes great story-based games, but the problem is they really haven't changed an engine since Baldur's Gate. KOTOR and Jade Empire are both basically an evolution of the Infinity Engine, but in 3D complete with how the levels and loading is structured and it's kind of annoying as well as combat. KOTOR's combat was actually just a refinement of Neverwinter Nights.

Jeff-DSA said:
Oh, I'd like to add Bungie to my list as well.

Worst level designers in the industry. I mean that.

Worse than this?

ren-goku-the-tower-of-purgatory-20050127024345013.jpg

Tiktaalik

Overrated:
Rockstar: one "good" game franchise
Square: They've been running the FF franchise into the ground but people still buy it.

Not Overrated yet:
Rare: Perfect Dark Zero is pretty much their last chance to redeem themselves. What the hell have they been doing this whole gen?

Not Overrated at all:
Capcom - Resident Evil 4 makes up for alot of crappy sequels
Konami - Gradius V. EDIT: sorry, technically treasure. But Konami had the genius to publish it.

Jeff-DSA said:
Naughty Dog (yeah, I went there)

Oh good one. I left out naughty dog. I just have always had an aversion to their product. Their characters just feel like cut and paste creations usually, and games derivative of others.

Naughty Dog are poseurs.

Top Bottom