• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies with beautiful cinematography

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Try and post a few images to illustrate, it makes things more interesting. Thanks.

City of God

César Charlone

3101_2.jpg

city_of_god-cidade_de_deus-10.jpg

4402477673_2f36c4457e.jpg

600full-city-of-god-screenshot.jpg

2587981008_6ae763ba58.jpg

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy

Hoyte Van Hoytema

tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-20111.jpg

tinker-tailor-cast.JPG

oldmantinker.jpg

tinker_tailor_soldier_spy_a_l.jpg

gary-oldman.jpg

There Will Be Blood

Robert Elswit

screenshot-med-03.jpg

m00767_med_01.jpg

screenshot-med-12.jpg

screenshot-med-08.jpg

tumblr_m95k5gwcip1roeugno1_500.jpg

Amélie

Bruno Delbonnel

amelie_image16.jpg

amelie-01.jpg

600full-amelie-screenshot.jpg

amelie_image7.jpg

600full-amelie-screenshot.jpg

I'm an uncultured cinema pleb, so I'm not sure if I'm "allowed" to nominate it (because of CGI stuff), but The Fall had some stunning scenes.

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to mention Lawrence of Arabia while I'm here, too.

NinjaBoiX

Try and post pics, this is all about imagery after all.

Nice work ZombieFred.

Edit: Mutes, I don't know about anyone else, but I consider CGI fair game. Most movies are so post processed these days anyway, it'd be tough to draw a fair distinction.

nOoblet16

All Bond movies starring Craig are good looking but Skyfall takes the cake:
skyfall_784_thumb.jpg

All David Fincher movies but Zodiac most prominently:
zodiac8.jpg

Tron Legacy:
6a00d8341c630a53ef0148c6ce960e970c-600wi

Dead Man

Try and post pics, this is all about imagery after all.

Nice work ZombieFred.

Edit: Mutes, I don't know about anyone else, but I consider CGI fair game. Most movies are so post processed these days anyway, it'd be tough to draw a fair distinction.

It can be hard to find still images that capture the cinematography.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Children of Men's long shots. Really no point posting pictures as the quality of that cinematography is lost without motion.

All David Fincher movies but Zodiac most prominently:
zodiac8.jpg

Yeah, Zodiac deserves a nod. Very distinct cinematography.

Acidote

Collateral

And I mean it. Those shots with the empty streets and metro, the coyote and a few other moments.

NinjaBoiX

It can be hard to find still images that capture the cinematography.
I managed.

I hope! It's hard to find decent images that don't break people's browser. I consider 100kb the cut off. Of course, I use m.gaf, which seems to resize everything well. It might look awful on vanilla GAF!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
as someone with very little knowledge of how movies are actually made, how much does the work of a cinematographer and a director overlap? for example, that famous single take scene in goodfellas is often mentioned when scorsese is talked about, but does the cinematographer deserve any or all the credit for that?

Dead Man

I managed.

I hope! It's hard to find decent images that don't break people's browser. I consider 100kb the cut off. Of course, I use m.gaf, which seems to resize everything well. It might look awful on vanilla GAF!

So did I, I think. Couldn't find the scenes I really liked though.

here's an off the older one

Picnic at Hanging Rock, Peter Weir (Director) Russell Boyd (Cinematography)

0000224071.jpg

Shit yes, amazing film.

NinjaBoiX

as someone with very little knowledge of how movies are actually made, how much does the work of a cinematographer and a director overlap? for example, that famous single take scene in goodfellas is often mentioned when scorsese is talked about, but does the cinematographer deserve any or all the credit for that?
The cinematographer's job is basically to realise the directors vision for the shot in question. Framing, colour balancing, lighting, etc. The director is more about setting the mood, and giving the actors context, and again, helping them realise his vision for the character.

Basically, imagine the director is telling a story through paintings. The cinematographer would act as the painter, and paint what the director described for the scene.

Or something like that...

Edit: the Goodfellas scene in question, I guess is kind of a group effort! The whole crew moving in prefect unison! But again, he would simply be helping Martin construct the images he has in his mind, for the screen.

Risette

A Good Citizen
A lot.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The cinematographer's job is basically to realise the directors vision for the shot in question. Framing, colour balancing, lighting, etc. The director is more about setting the mood, and giving the actors context, and again, helping them realise his vision for the character.

Basically, imagine the director is telling a story through paintings. The cinematographer would act as the painter, and paint what the director described for the scene.

Or something like that...

you're half right. it depends on the director, really. sometimes they are more involved with the cinematography than with the actors themselves, and vice versa.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Atonement is striking at times.

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-232mlkl.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-232bbd0.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-2372xa7.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-23dsz38.jpg

(The second shot loses its lustre in stills.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom