• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies with beautiful cinematography

Status
Not open for further replies.
The New World

the_new_world.jpg

tumblr_m6s0804tJu1rp562wo1_500.png

Dilly

Banned
Not enough Kubrick in this thread. I'd post pictures, but I can't find decent ones.

Recent movies like Skyfall, Looper, Tron Legacy, Prometheus,...

Yes Boss!

For color pick anything Storaro (Conformist the best), then look to his heir, Lubezki for an equivalent who is working today.

Chris Doyle for his WKW and Zhang Stuff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, Joe Wright has a fantastic sense of composition.

hanna_bow.746x560.jpg

Yeah, Hanna has some nice shots, particularly in its early scenes:

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-238qj2t.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-23vmj4d.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-23b6k4m.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-2353kom.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-19-23pijh9.jpg

Also, speaking of Peter Weir films, The Way Back is gorgeous:

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-008wqvy.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-00sbrvq.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-00xqrhe.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-20-00mzo50.jpg

(I've something of a predilection for long/wide shots, in case that wasn't obvious. :p)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just recently, Life of Pi.

And I think the first Sherlock Holmes movie deserves a mention.

cinematography is way overrated
1364674_o.gif

Story first please.

I agree that most stories don't need lavish cinematography, but I don't think your example holds up. The camcorder footage stands in contrast to the exquisite cinematography of that film... the scene just wouldn't have the same impact if the rest of the movie looked cheap.

More can be done with professional cinematograpy. It's just like a musical recording. A good song doesn't need expensive processing to be enjoyable, but when it's produced professionally, it's a different thing. What the "core" of the artwork is is less important. A painting and a drawing relate to each other, but they exist just as much as their own thing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
predilection for long/wide shots, blue eyes, blond hair ;)
--
And yes, Mr. Weir films ussually look great
tumblr_m7nba4OKeF1qzzh6g.jpg
truman-show.jpg

Haha, I was wondering if someone would pick up on all the films I've mentioned belonging to Saoirse Ronan's filmography. A happy coincidence, I swear. ;)

Purely out of curiosity, I'd like to visit the alternate universe in which Andrew Niccol was given the green light to direct TTS.

GCX

Anna Karenina's whole theatre setting allowed Joe Wright to build some incredibly great shots and cinematography. Stuff like the horse race on a theatre stage can't be conveyed in stills though.

Also Hugo:

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Everything from the Coen brothers movies has great cinematography. Even the Big Lewbowski manages to make something as bland as a bowling alley look sumptuous.

ir8ehNfpc5lnD.png

Then of course there is Blade Runner.

ixCqMoSZDNw9w.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom