• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies with beautiful cinematography

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBobby

The Searchers:

DOOc1yz.jpg

neijLd4.jpg

4Twz1DM.jpg

pt3xw2m.jpg

Inception:

That first image isn't even from the film. Not that I disagree with your choice, just worth pointing out :p

I'll thank this thread for giving me a slightly better idea of what "cinematography" actually is. Honestly for as much as I've heard the word, I've never bothered to try and define it.

As that last comment suggests, I'm not a huge film buff or anything, but here are a couple I reckon have pretty awesome cinematography.

The Last Samurai

Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift

Sorry for the quality, I grabbed these from YouTube vids. Since I'd need to dig my DVD out, and I don't have a way to screencap blu-rays.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I disagree about The Fall. There is no challenge because anything could be thrown on the screen without explanation or rationalization. The movie itself becomes second to the images.

UrbanRats

Barry Lyndon looks like a painting
barry-lyndon-duel.jpg

bl25.png

Is Barry Lyndon one of the best cinematographies ever filmed? I would put it in the top 10 no question asked, and even though Kubrick has made other masterpieces in this regard (2001 and Shining being obvious examples) i think, when it comes to cinematography, this was his peak.

itWrkRKhmgVy4.jpg

i8REa5ILsiRje.png

iJX0rA6kQOVfp.png

i9v3AMp2N3EV.png

iN7e0tC3XmWEW.png

isl9boJxMJdHz.png

io5uMRBh3vWIk.png

ibkGvSZhsBJZAF.png

ibK0SEZHPOTzW.png

iV21n69IXeiQ6.png

Source.

Now let's think about that never made Napoleon epic, and weep.
Then again i would've also loved to see Leone's Stalingrad.

I disagree about The Fall. There is no challenge because anything could be thrown on the screen without explanation or rationalization. The movie itself becomes second to the images.
I wouldn't call it extremely deep or subtle in its artistry, but i think it works well with the concept of a protagonist who is a childish drama queen, needing cinema to satisfy his absurd vision of the world, where everything is a bombastic fairy tale, and the imagination of a kid, that distorts the story he tells her, in a colorful and over the top fashion, creating a world that is saturated, sickening, beautiful and the very opposite of subtle.

HiResDes

You guys have great taste, but I'm not sure I saw any Kieslowski:

Three Colors: Blue

2w7znyM.jpg
WpnJnJo.jpg

Three Colors: White

RUSml6L.jpg
cw4094o.jpg

Three Colors: Red

ITrcEp3.jpg
8OcwJnB.jpg

The Double Life of Veronique

jGZmn5c.jpg
vzRnUPS.jpg

kms_md

Is Barry Lyndon one of the best cinematographies ever filmed? I would put it in the top 10 no question asked, and even though Kubrick has made other masterpieces in this regard (2001 and Shining being obvious examples) i think, when it comes to cinematography, this was his peak.

itWrkRKhmgVy4.jpg

i8REa5ILsiRje.png

iJX0rA6kQOVfp.png

i9v3AMp2N3EV.png

iN7e0tC3XmWEW.png

isl9boJxMJdHz.png

io5uMRBh3vWIk.png

ibkGvSZhsBJZAF.png

ibK0SEZHPOTzW.png

iV21n69IXeiQ6.png

Source.

Now let's think about that never made Napoleon epic, and weep.
Then again i would've also loved to see Leone's Stalingrad.

I wouldn't call it extremely deep or subtle in its artistry, but i think it works well with the concept of a protagonist who is a childish drama queen, needing cinema to satisfy his absurd vision of the world, where everything is a bombastic fairy tale, and the imagination of a kid, that distorts the story he tells her, in a colorful and over the top fashion, creating a world that is saturated, sickening, beautiful and the very opposite of subtle.

Much of Barry Lyndon was shot without use of electric light necessitating the use of special cameras which gives the movie it's distinctive look.

Minus_Me

Seeing those stills of Barry Lyndon is honestly beyond words. Will have to watch it tonight. It's not the first time I see it, but damn those still are incredible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not mentioned yet...

The Black Stallion

Jedi2016

I need to go on a Kurosawa marathon at some point. I've only ever seen Seven Samurai (I own it), and it's one of the only films I can think of off the top of my head that I could even possibly describe as a "perfect" film. I really should see more of his work.

UrbanRats

Russian Ark impressed me, despite the obvious limitations it had to work with, it managed to still find a ton of suggestive images, i also think it used well the long hallways and constant door opening, with the dream thematic.

iUZaalYxp4nRu.jpg

ibxl3dM7s3tpe7.jpg

iLTqbz4wTazkr.jpg

ibd2UFJx6Py9CV.jpg

ilEKeRpaIez4L.jpg

Not a whole lot on Google, unfortunately.

I also wanted to post a couple of scenes from Tarkovskiy's Mirror, but again, i can't find what i'm looking for on google.

jett

D-Member
Barry Lyndon is just a stupid good looking.I need to rewatch it, sooner rather than later. I have a feeling I'll appreciate it much more now than I did ten years ago.

p.s. my obligatory SPEED RACER post:

I just love the color scheme, the framing and the composition in this movie. Each shot is immaculately and precisely designed. In motion it's pure magic though. The novel way of doing transitions, layering shots one over another in combination with the use of deep focus gives the film a very different look than anything else ever made. The movie effortlessly transitions between different times in the first 20 minutes, each transition completely different from the previous one. Visually it's probably the most forward thinking film in years if not decades, I'm not exaggerating when I say that Speed Racer rewrites the visual language of cinema. Too bad nobody cared to read it. Not even the Wachowskis themselves, which is one of the reasons Cloud Atlas disappointed me.

I'll tell you what is NOT beautiful cinematography. Hobbit shot at 48 FPS... Holy crap, it looks awful. It looks SO low budget that way. Call me a traditionalist but I'll take my cinema with a slight delay that doesn't have SUPER REALISTIC, GROUND BREAKING, IMMERSIVE frame rates... Yikes. But one of the most visually stunning pieces of cinema I've ever seen was Life of Pi, and anything by studio Ghibli I find really appealing with all the clutter and bright animation. Drawings have the ability to impress me a lot more than live action, with ability to be imaginative and unrealistically vibrant.

Herne

Mirrormask -

AAAmirrormask_3shadow+queen.jpg

mirrormask_3.jpg

Brotherhood of the Wolf -

brotherhood-of-the-wolf-le-pacte-des-loups-beast-wolf.jpg

623_5.jpg

monica-bellucci-brotherhood-of-the-wolf-cleavage-les-pactes-des-loups.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-21h30m36s59.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-21h34m37s237.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-21h49m01s155.png

And now for something completely different (c). An old British television show from the 80's, Robin of Sherwood, Season 2, The Swords of Wayland -

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-21h59m05s95.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-22h02m12s176.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-22h11m02s86.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-21-22h11m22s51.png

Small images as I'm at work and browsing Google Images on IE = suck. Love the thread! So many films for me to look up. Will post more when I get home.

Edit - Added more to Brotherhood of the Wolf and added Robin of Sherwood. So many films have been posted already or I would be uploading images from Pan's Labyrinth, The Fall, Amelie and many others... but there have been so many more posted that I haven't even heard of, yet must see now. So thanks, everyone, for extending my "must watch" list by a good few pages ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom