• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies with beautiful cinematography

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Almost anything by Pixar.

3CMqhB0.jpg

fo4dMjo.jpg

H6GjisR.jpg

Edit: For those wondering the names:
1. Toy Story 2
2. The Incredibles
3. Brave

Beaulieu

I'm an uncultured cinema pleb, so I'm not sure if I'm "allowed" to nominate it (because of CGI stuff), but The Fall had some stunning scenes.

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to mention Lawrence of Arabia while I'm here, too.

Director says that there is no CGI in the fall.

Yes Boss!

Some of my favourite

Emmanuel Lubeski:
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Sleepy Hollow
The New World
Children of Men
Ali

Man, I hope it is just because you have not seen it, but Lubezki's best work is on A Little Princess. I saw that movie about 15 times in the theater back in the late nineties. Sublime.

Neo Child

Banned
not a film but tv series - Skins, like series 3-6, beautiful cinematography, which is good cause by series 6 it's just teens smoking Nd crying

Collateral

And I mean it. Those shots with the empty streets and metro, the coyote and a few other moments.

This makes me think of this Collateral image I found on deviantart; a guy took a photo of the LA skyline and then later realized it was one of the shots in the movie:

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Recent scene for me but damn I got serious goosebumps both times I saw it.

Django Unchained:

"Now let's see if you'll break eggs again"

*Django walks up, camera behind him. He turns*

"John Riddle!"

*Riddle turns around in awe*

*Django standing there in the blue outfit, camera is low and slowly sweeping closer and up*

Fuck me I love that scene. Those horns too. Damn man. That shot of Django just standing there is amazing. Looks like a super hero. People laughed at the crazy outfit he picked out and minutes later he looks like the biggest badass. Fucking amazing

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
cinematography is way overrated

Story first please.

You'd think but, in execution... There are more bad movies with cool stories, than bad beautiful movies IMO.

So many people start a negative comment about a movie with, "It was a cool idea but..." or "I really like the story but..."

The inverse is something like The Master or a Terrance Malick movie. Heck, even classic like Children of Men or Jaws have the plot of a bad movie at their core, but rise above that with execution.

A good example is The Grey. I didn't particularly like that movie, but a lot of people who normally hate big dumb movies about guys punching wolves really loved it, because it bothered to try.

Meanwhile, the bargain bins are FILLED with movies that had cool scripts or ideas.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Not a very popular movie but the CG-stopmotion-drawing-8bit hybrid that is We are the Strange is absolutely mind-blowing.

02181_02182_4_l_02.jpg

file_394257.jpg

vlcsnap-2011-04-11-15h33m01s164.png

Also, indie horror film Cube looked perfect. Absolutely added to the utterly paranoia-driven insanity of the film.

Cube-Movies-analyzed-10.jpg

1348779764-cube3.jpeg

1348779767-cube4.jpeg

cube1.jpg

You'd think but, in execution... There are more bad movies with cool stories, than bad beautiful movies IMO.

So many people start a negative comment about a movie with, "It was a cool idea but..." or "I really like the story but..."

The inverse is something like The Master or a Terrance Malick movie. Heck, even classic like Children of Men or Jaws have the plot of a bad movie at their core, but rise above that with execution.

A good example is The Grey. I didn't particularly like that movie, but a lot of people who normally hate big dumb movies about guys punching wolves really loved it, because it bothered to try.

Meanwhile, the bargain bins are FILLED with movies that had cool scripts or ideas.

Children of Men has the plot of a bad movie at its core? No.

Salsa

I dont know when people started thinking that Cinematography = Photography in film but sometimes it does feel like that started happening. Its merely one aspect of it.

Some good stuff here tho, not knocking it

UrbanRats

I'm an uncultured cinema pleb, so I'm not sure if I'm "allowed" to nominate it (because of CGI stuff), but The Fall had some stunning scenes.

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to mention Lawrence of Arabia while I'm here, too.

The Fall is fantastic, i don't know why some people hate it.
Yes it's over the top and even kitch if you want, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's still very unique.
I also like the very muted plot, because it marries with the images well.

Anyway, most have already been mentioned:

Dogtooth:

Amer:

Mishima - A life in four chapters:

Tekkonkinkreet:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom