• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Aladdin Sir you've never met a movie like me aka best 90s Disney movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No love for Hercules?

giphy.gif

B-tier garbage

What the fuck???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_and_the_Arabian_Night

Soltype

What I love about Beauty and Beast is that it had a real mature feel to it.Not to say the films following it were silly, but they had a more cartoon like quality to them.

Aladdin is a baby's movie next to Lion King and Hercules. Everything in those movies is executed on all levels better except for comedy relief which is not that important to my enjoyment.

v1lla21

Its pretty great. It's and old fashioned fairy tale executed perfectly.
Yeah I definitely have to change that. Last Monday in one of my classes we played a game of Heads up and we did disney characters. Unfortunately for me, I got a lot of beauty and the Beast characters and that's when I realized I needed to watch it.

I know this is a 90's disney thread but I rarely see love for TP. It had its flaws but it's still one of my favorites along with Atlantis.

Fandangox

I think Mulan, Emperor's New Groove, Aladdin, and Hercules are my favorite Disney animated movies.

Gotta rewatch some of the ones I don't remember too much of though.

hunchback has some great music and tony jay going for it. frollo basically carries the film and any scene he's in is fantastic. no other disney renaissance villain gets there like he does.

I dunno........Ursula is pretty up there imo, one of the most underrated Disney villains imo.

Her personality was so unique among Disney villains that you actually kind of rooted for her lol. She had this weird code of "lawful evil" among Disney villains.

She also had one of the darkest villain songs with poor unfortunate souls.

HotHamBoy

Ok, but getting real, Beauty and the Beast is a solid film but I find the character designs generally repulsive. In general, the entire period is marred with garish colors, but the designs improves after B&B.

That said, TLK is actually pretty overrated. Everything Pocahontas and beyond is pretty garbage, and I say that both as a fan of animation and storytelling in film.

IMO Disney's next worthwhile film after TLK was Lilo and Stitch. This is all excluding Pixar, obviously, which makes all their latter-day films seem like diaper baby trash by comparison.

EDIT: Nightmare before christmas doesn't count, that was the now-defunct Touchstone Pictures. Disney distanced themselves at the time, they don't deserve it now.

Fantasia 2000 is the perfect example of "not getting it."

Aladdin is amazing, it's one of the first movies I remember seeing in the cinema. Seeing the Genie sing Friend Like Me on the big screen is still one of my most memorable movie experiences. (Being traumatised by The Lion King was another, bless you, Disney.)

Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, and Aladdin are the cream of the crop from the Disney Renaissance.

Honorable mention to Mulan, and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Hellfire is godly, and I never get tired of rewatching Mulan. Huh, didn't realise The Little Mermaid came out in '89. The Little Mermaid television series was surprisingly good, there were some really creepy episodes in there.

Hercules is 100% worth it for the music, and Phil, Megara, and Hades are the icing on the awesome cake. Gorgeous art direction, too.

Fat4all

Banned
I dunno........Ursula is pretty up there imo, one of the most underrated Disney villains imo.

Her personality was so unique among Disney villains that you actually kind of rooted for her lol. She had this weird code of "lawful evil" among Disney villains.

The only thing I don't like about Ursula is how manipulative and conniving and interesting she is in most of the movie, then at the end it's all "FUCK IT, IMMA GIANT MONSTER, WHAT'S SUBTLY?"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could talk about the Aladdin and Hercules animated series all day

There was a lady genie in it, and there was the episode where sultan turned evil, and the weird circus of animal monster people. Not to be confused with the weird circus of animal monster people in Gargoyles.

HotHamBoy

That Cave of Wonders lava escape level tho'. Took me forever to get past it

I sure did play the hell out of that game until I could beat it in 1:20. I didn't even know the Genesis version was a completely different game. I'm sorry, but give me that hover rag over a sword any day, thanks.

HotHamBoy

i think they do for everyone. hunchback tries to be a more serious movie and then comes at you with the worst comic relief in a disney film. just fucking weird.

Disney Animation Studios was a victim of their own success and pursued formula to the detriment of all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In the Mighty Ducks cartoon, they were a race of Alien Duck Anthromorphs that used hockey themed everything. Including weapons.

AniHawk

i think frollo is pretty lawful evil. he's a bad guy who thinks he's the good guy, which makes him more entertaining than most disney villains.

i do think the little mermaid is pretty great though, and i like ursula. the little mermaid might have the most consistently great soundtrack.

on the subject of music, i was thinking what would be the best songs for each kind of disney song (at least during the renaissance), and little mermaid comes up a lot for me:

opening/intro:
'bells of notre dame'
runner up - 'two worlds one family'

the 'i want' song:
'part of your world'
runner up: 'just around the riverbend'

the villain song:
'hellfire'
runner up: 'poor unfortunate souls'

love song:
'kiss the girl'
runner up: 'i won't say i'm in love'

comic relief song:
'never had a friend like me'

Keri

I would say Beauty and the Beast is probably the best. It teaches you an important lesson: no matter how you look, you can still find love. If you have a giant mansion.

And once you do find love, you'll suddenly transform into a beautiful prince anyway!

Don't forget the most important lesson: Ladies, is there a guy who is mean to you and treats you badly? Well, don't worry, if you love him enough, you can change him!

...I still like the movie though. I'd rate Lion King, Beauty and Beast and the Little Mermaid (although technically an 80's movie) above Aladdin, but Aladdin is still good. Also, I love Hunchback, even with the gargoyles in it. It would have been better without them, for sure, but I like the rest of it enough to ignore that.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
im sorry but the correct answer is a goofy movie

Looking back, I'm surprised that this series got a theatrical movie release, and the likes of Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles didn't, even though they were all more popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom