• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Aladdin Sir you've never met a movie like me aka best 90s Disney movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
Beauty and the Beast even being mentioned :lol
Hahaha-No-Tumblr-15.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I did a quick wiki check on Goof Troop to find out how successful it actually was (78 episodes, not bad), and come to find out that the voice actor who played Max died in 96. That explains why I never heard her appear in anything else since. :(

I'd take Mulan and Hercules any day of the week over Aladdin. The Jasmine/Aladdin relationship upsets me so much.

Here's the list of disney shit in the 90's, so start compiling ur lists.

Np50Seg.png
Real talk: Pocahontas is boring as fuck.

Also, Goofy is top ten material
The only thing I don't like about Ursula is how manipulative and conniving and interesting she is in most of the movie, then at the end it's all "FUCK IT, IMMA GIANT MONSTER, WHAT'S SUBTLY?"
Yeah, it would have been cool for them to outwit her on the deal. Hard to make an exciting climax though.
51bP-8ryAiL.jpg
´

i might be the only one but i thought this was better than the first
My dude I'm in there with you. Final battle in a sinking temple on the back of a turtle? We in there. We in there.

Trago

I'm surprised they're not willing to eat it for once just to throw us a bone. It seems like Princess and the Frog even made money despite sucking.

Is it really too much to ask for at least one 2D film from them a year in addition to the 31 flavors of Marvel, Star Wars, and live action Disney remakes?

I get that they want box office hits, but I 2D animated films can't be as expensive to produce than 3D right?

Fat4all

Banned
but I 2D animated films can't be as expensive to produce than 3D right?

I think it's a combination of being a bit more expensive, and not making nearly as much in the box office as 3D animated movies.

It's more losses then they are willing to wager.

Trago

I think it's a combination of being a bit more expensive, and not making nearly as much in the box office as 3D animated movies.

It's more losses then they are willing to wager.

Well there's that too. And that's a shame. Princess and The Frog didn't bomb did it?

For me it's

B&B
Lion King
Aladdin

Little Mermaid
Everything else

I love Aladdin, don't get me wrong. But it's always been too heavily dependent on its MVP. TLK and especially B&B are better total packages to me. Although I do think the art is a big step up from Beauty to Aladdin.

Little Mermaid is a fantastic, beautiful film too of course, but it has such a prototype-y feel at times. There are parts where it's clear they were still finding their tone and voice. Like during the kitchen scene where the chef is chasing Sebastian... It's so "Tiny Toons", from the design of the chef to the music to the level of slapstick. I kinda love how stylistically chaotic the film is at times, but ultimately it's just a harbinger of the greatness that was coming up in their next three movies.

Aladdin is an ass hole. He is practically the villain of the show. I've seen the TV series and the movie and they are two different characters. The TV show is an ok dude who has magical adventures. The Movie features a con artist and a liar. The royalty has Jafar dead to rights but who lets it get out of control? Aladdin's lies. Jasmin knows Allidin is the street guy so what does he do? Keeps lying. Ignores the advice of friends and just keeps perpetuating his lies. He steals fom his own people instead of getting a job. Ever see a nice plot of green land outside the palace? Fuck no! That bread was an imported good. If a sand lion out in the desert didn't say he was special then the viewer would see him for what he really is. The Villian.

Aladdin is an ass hole. He is practically the villain of the show. I've seen the TV series and the movie and they are two different characters. The TV show is an ok dude who has magical adventures. The Movie features a con artist and a liar. The royalty has Jafar dead to rights but who lets it get out of control? Aladdin's lies. Jasmin knows Allidin is the street guy so what does he do? Keeps lying. Ignores the advice of friends and just keeps perpetuating his lies. He steals fom his own people instead of getting a job. Ever see a nice plot of green land outside the palace? Fuck no! That bread was an imported good. If a sand lion out in the desert didn't say he was special then the viewer would see him for what he really is. The Villian.
No.

Aladdin is a just a poor orphan who just wants to not have to struggle for once in his life.

No.

Aladdin is a just a poor orphan who just wants to not have to struggle for once in his life.
Dude had three wishes. Not two. The first thing he did to his friend genie was to con him into a free escape. Wishing for a life without struggle could have been wish number one. What does he wish for instead? To be a prince. He envies the royalty and their status so he becomes one. If it was just about the girl then he would have come clean much earlier. He didn't want to give up his coveted status.

jiggle

Best thing about b&tb was the sexy broom
It had such disproportionally large amount of ugly TV quality frames
As if all the budget went into that 1 scene

Is it really too much to ask for at least one 2D film from them a year in addition to the 31 flavors of Marvel, Star Wars, and live action Disney remakes?

One a year is a lot, but I'm surprised they don't give us one, say, every five years.

The mere act of releasing a single 2D Disney film every half decade would almost guarantee said film a set number of sales.

Dude had three wishes. Not two. The first thing he did to his friend genie was to con him into a free escape. Wishing for a life without struggle could have been wish number one. What does he wish for instead? To be a prince. He envies the royalty and their status so he becomes one. If it was just about the girl then he would have come clean much earlier. He didn't want to give up his coveted status.
How does that contradict anything i said.

UraMallas

opening/intro:
'bells of notre dame'
runner up - 'two worlds one family'

the 'i want' song:
'part of your world'
runner up: 'just around the riverbend'

the villain song:
'hellfire'
runner up: 'poor unfortunate souls'

love song:
'kiss the girl'
runner up: 'i won't say i'm in love'

comic relief song:
'never had a friend like me'

I'm going to do this.

Opening:
Circle of Life (Lion King)
Bells of Notre Dame (Hunchback)

Villain Song:
Poor Unfortunate Souls (Little Mermaid)
Be Prepared (Lion King)

Love Song:
Whole New World (Aladdin)
Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)

Comic Relief:
Never Had a Friend Like Me (Aladdin)
Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast)

Trago

One a year is a lot, but I'm surprised they don't give us one, say, every five years.

The mere act of releasing a single 2D Disney film every half decade would almost guarantee said film a set number of sales.

Yeah, I hardly know anything about animated film production. One a year would be much.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Aladdin is a bit better than Lion King, one reason being it features humans in a more relatable story. I also prefer its tone over Lion King's theatrical "awe" feeling. I get it, it's a major artistic production. With animals.

"You've never seen a film like me" would have been better for the thread title.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I really enjoyed Aladdin. I was the first person in my school to get a copy of it on VHS and brought it into school. It happened to be the last day before a break and I convinced the teacher to let us watch it. I was more popular than god for that day.

But other films definitely have stronger memories for me. Robin Hood in particular, I spent my late 80's watching the hell out of that movie. I was confounded when I saw it had mixed reviews, until I saw all the negative review were recent ones which fits with the bitter half empty attitude of the internet.

Aladdin is the best.

I love how Jasmine, having been isolated her whole life, likes to act out parts. In the marketplace she immediately follows Aladdin's lead and acts the part of his crazy sister. She acts the part of the stereotypical rich princess on the balcony. She tricks Aladdin with her question about Abu, and later tricks Jafar.

CpIFCjn.jpg

UTFzZCf.gif

mnWvZpS.jpg

"I Know"

It's easy to think Jasmine is way too good for Aladdin. But that's not true either. The fact is, Aladdin's choices, while annoying, are understandable for someone who grew up a street rat, an orphan, a thief, in constant danger of being killed.

Aladdin's self image isn't admirable. But it is believable. Of course he doubts himself given his background.

Out of the big 4 I'd go with:

1. Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. The Lion King

Aladdin is the funniest because of Robin Williams, and the "A Whole New World" scene is spectacular. The Little Mermaid though has the most consistently great soundtrack. All 5 of the major songs could be considered top 20 all time for Disney.

AniHawk

is the Tarzan opening really better than Circle of Life?

i think circle of life is really good in setting the tone, and as a song i think it's a lot better.

however as a part of the movie it's almost filler? i feel this way about a couple of songs from the lion king ('i just can't wait to be king' and 'can you feel the love tonight' being others). 'two worlds one family' isn't great on its own, but combined with the editing in the film it's tarzan's best part by far. i just love the pacing and juxtaposition shown visually.

it's the same reason i like 'bells of notre dame' so much too. it's narrative to give the backstory and establish the villiain, but it's also a great song and so many characters appear in it without breaking the flow. plus that high note clopin hits and sustains at the end when the title appears is amazing.

Zalman

I think The Lion King is still the GOAT, but I can't be mad about this opinion. Aladdin is my #2. It's so good. I think Tarzan would be #3.

If we're just talking Disney Renaissance, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast are on the highest of pedestals, on equal footing.

Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Mulan are just below that. Then those are followed by Tarzan, Hercules, Hunchback, and Pochahontas.

I still consider all of those movies 10/10, when I'm ignoring critical thinking and just soaking in Disney magic.

Jasmine is the cutest princess.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Bigger question is what is the better run,

50's - 70's run

Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Sword in the Stone
The Jungle Book
The Aristocats
Robin Hood
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
The Rescuers

Or the 90's run

The Little Mermaid (technically 89 but whatever)
The Rescuers Down Under
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Pocahontas
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan
Fantasia 2000

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Nightmare Before Christmas over all the other ones. Easily.

Followed by The Lion King and then the rest. I don't really like Disney animated movies much to be honest, but TNBC was dark and twisted and had some amazingly creepy designs and awesome characters.

AniHawk

Bigger question is what is the better run,

50's - 70's run

Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Sword in the Stone
The Jungle Book
The Aristocats
Robin Hood
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
The Rescuers

Or the 90's run

The Little Mermaid (technically 89 but whatever)
The Rescuers Down Under
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
Pocahontas
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan
Fantasia 2000

oh man the renaissance period easily.

i know the little mermaid marks the start of the renaissance period, but i believe it started as a kneejerk reaction to don bluth kicking ass, when they sloppily finished his project, the black cauldron. oliver and company and the great mouse detective get lost in there too. i always felt like the rescuers down under had a lot in common with those kinds of animated disney movies. after beauty and the beast they basically turned it into a formula until the emperor's new groove.

i think circle of life is really good in setting the tone, and as a song i think it's a lot better.

however as a part of the movie it's almost filler? i feel this way about a couple of songs from the lion king ('i just can't wait to be king' and 'can you feel the love tonight' being others). 'two worlds one family' isn't great on its own, but combined with the editing in the film it's tarzan's best part by far. i just love the pacing and juxtaposition shown visually.

it's the same reason i like 'bells of notre dame' so much too. it's narrative to give the backstory and establish the villiain, but it's also a great song and so many characters appear in it without breaking the flow. plus that high note clopin hits and sustains at the end when the title appears is amazing.

Hey, you're not getting any complaints from me about the Hunchback opening. That is masterful work and everything you said about it is true. Another great moment in that one is when Frollo is gonna throw the baby down the well and there's the lighting flash back-and-forth between Clopin telling the story and the Archdiocese yelling for Frollo to stop

Circle of Life is one of the main themes of the movie though. The fact that the song ends with the title screen at both the beginning and with the reprise at the end kinda drive that point.

But I don't really remember the Tarzan opening so I can't get on it too hard. Ill have to rewatch it.

Aladdin > Lion King > Toy Story > the rest

The Aladdin animated series was sooo goood too.
This ranking also applies to the Sega Genesis games for what that's worth.

Hunchback never even got a true game just some bullshit mini game compilation for the Game Boy and PC.

Hercules PS1 is supposed to be good, I remember Tarzan on N64 being somewhat decent (that could be purely nostalgia, I'm scared to find out). Did Mulan get a video game? Seems like the best Disney movie tie-ins were the boy-oriented ones.

Fusebox

Banned
Aladdin, Lion King and The Incredibles are the GOAT animated kids movies

Beauty and the Beast even being mentioned :lol

Incredibles is so slow to rewatch imo, doesn't hold up as well as the older films which have a more consistent pace and energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom