• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade Vita screenshots

Sushigod7

Muramasa was one of the main reasons I bought a Wii strangely enough and it's still my most played game this generation. As much as I played I don't see much difference in the screens I hope that they improve and clear up character models, background etc. I really enjoyed playing this with the nunchuk so I'm a little worried about controls on the Vita that left nub is going to get a serious workout. But day one for me I'll take this game in every shape and form it comes in. It should hold me over till Dragon's Crown.

lilypoppy

Banned
tried to replay this a few months ago but couldn't handle it because, well, fuck the Wii.

Looking forward to this release.

Sushigod7

tried to replay this a few months ago but couldn't handle it because, well, fuck the Wii.

Looking forward to this release.

If you didn't like it it's not going to change that much going to the Vita, what was the issue? You could play nunchuk or classic controller on the Wii.

Lime

To compare with a 2xHQ texture mod for the Dolphin version of Muramasa:

HIREZ-MURAMASA-5.jpg

HIREZ-MURAMASA-7.jpg

HIREZ-MURAMASA-3.jpg

HIREZ-MURAMASA-4.jpg

Odin Sphere had an amazing story, what are you talking about?

And of course he did.

OS spends too much time on the stupid romance between Gwen and her creepy stalker. Every character in the game was insipidly annoying, an idiot, or both. The only exception was a furry.

At least Grim Grimoire had interesting characters (big ups to devil prof) even though the time paradox infodump at the end was super dumb.

EDIT: of course, OS's real sin was being a 10 hour game stretched out to 50 hours. I'd rather play babby's first RTS over that a million times.

randomkid

OS spends too much time on the stupid romance between Gwen and her creepy stalker. Every character in the game was insipidly annoying, an idiot, or both. The only exception was a furry.

This is an ... interesting reaction to Odin Sphere's story. Mercedes' development had me actually cheering at the end, that never happens heh. The Rashomon-esque stuff for the overlapping characters was so good too!

Sushigod7

This is an ... interesting reaction to Odin Sphere's story. Mercedes' development had me actually cheering at the end, that never happens heh. The Rashomon-esque stuff for the overlapping characters was so good too!

Not to derail but thinking about getting OS on PSN, anyone download it?

At least Grim Grimoire had interesting characters (big ups to devil prof) even though the time paradox infodump at the end was super dumb.

EDIT: of course, OS's real sin was being a 10 hour game stretched out to 50 hours. I'd rather play babby's first RTS over that a million times.
Oh okay, you're that kind of person. Thanks for the response.

Oh okay, you're that kind of person. Thanks for the response.

If by "that kind of person" you mean "gets exhausted by stupid melodrama masquerading as character development" then yep guilty as charged!

besides OS played like crap (on the ps2). On the other hand, muramasa was pretty fun even if the story was forgettable.

Binabik15

What res did it run in on Wii?

Will get it if it's not stretched or otherwise downgraded graphically. Will totally get Dragon's Crown to have dat sexy dwarf smash some goblins.

Nothing but beard, hammers and muscles, so manly.

If by "that kind of person" you mean "gets exhausted by stupid melodrama masquerading as character development" then yep guilty as charged!

besides OS played like crap (on the ps2). On the other hand, muramasa was pretty fun even if the story was forgettable.
By "that kind of person", I mean "someone who hates realistic portrayals of human nature". People have emotions and make bad decisions. Characters should have such traits. Odin Sphere did an excellent job of conveying those attributes.

Varna

This game always looked very cool to me. But so did Odin Sphere... what a terrible game. Is this one much better?

This game always looked very cool to me. But so did Odin Sphere... what a terrible game. Is this one much better?
It's sort of the opposite of Odin Sphere. It depends on what you hated about the game.

Yeah, is there any annoying gardening in this game?
Like this, for example. I loved the "gardening" in Odin Sphere. No, nothing like that exists in this game.

I have zero excitement for this. I bought the game on Amazon for $9.99 and beat this game 3yrs ago on the Wii. How much do they intend on selling a Wii to Vita port for? (Ugh, I felt dirty just typing that!)

dramatis

Like this, for example. I loved the "gardening" in Odin Sphere. No, nothing like that exists in this game.
The inventory juggling in Odin Sphere was the part I liked the most. Pretty disappointed that Muramasa doesn't have that.

Also, food looks real good in 2D lol.

Sushigod7

It's sort of the opposite of Odin Sphere. It depends on what you hated about the game.

Wait Odin Sphere had gardening? For supply/ingredient farming? Shit so bought I have to download asap. Buying cookbooks in Muramasa, finding ingredients then visiting restaurants was a awesome part of the game really different. I can see how some would think its tedious busy work but it really did reward you if you cooked up the right soup before a battle.

Aexact

It controls better and the gameplay is more varied, despite going from five characters to two (the VITA version says there's four more characters so that's another thing). Weapon upgrading is more in-depth level progression then Phozon absorption. The world is also far larger.

But it's still repetitive, the variation only being some minor platforming and the boss battles (they look spectacular though). The set pieces are gorgeous but you're going to be fighting (or running past) a lot of ninjas in that beautiful Japanese wheat field or that lush green forest (and there's a lot of fields and forests).

Also, if it matters, there's less story then Odin Sphere and when you do have it, it's brief and less concerned with being a narrative and more about moving you to the next setpiece.

Wait Odin Sphere had gardening? For supply/ingredient farming? Shit so bought I have to download asap. Buying cookbooks in Muramasa, finding ingredients then visiting restaurants was a awesome part of the game really different. I can see how some would think its tedious busy work but it really did reward you if you cooked up the right soup before a battle.
The Odin Sphere system is really weird/unique. Basically, you get seeds from chests. Enemies drop phozon, which is your XP in the game, but also your MP. If you put a seed down in the ground during battle, it will also soak up phozons and grow into a plant, which you can harvest fruit (or animals...) from. When you eat the fruit, you get seeds leftover. You can also use the different fruits/seeds/animals to make special food dishes that permanently raise your stats and make potions for battle.

I thought it was masterfully done, but some people loathed it.

MrBS

Loved the game on the Wii I'll be down for this day one. I'd still love to see Grand Knight History at some point :(

Haunted

I liked the combat in Muramasa. Also, the various weapons and upgrade paths switched up the gameplay pretty well. I think it was a very strong title in both looks and gameplay, really good.

The level design, though...

edit: and add another one who adores the Odin Sphere/Muramasa designs yet is unhappy with Dragon's Crown.

cj_iwakura

GrimGrimoire is definitely the best Vanillaware game(if not game period) that no one played, but Odin Sphere has the better plot.

Muramasa has the best gameplay. GrimGrimoire is solid in both categories.

And it bears repeating: GIVE MURAMASA A NEW TRANSLATION.

Varna

It was very deceiving. It looked like it was going to be an old school side-scroller... but it was just... I don't even know what to call it. It was like the most primitive version of the genre and it still managed to have some crappy collision.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The Odin Sphere system is really weird/unique. Basically, you get seeds from chests. Enemies drop phozon, which is your XP in the game, but also your MP. If you put a seed down in the ground during battle, it will also soak up phozons and grow into a plant, which you can harvest fruit (or animals...) from. When you eat the fruit, you get seeds leftover. You can also use the different fruits/seeds/animals to make special food dishes that permanently raise your stats and make potions for battle.

I thought it was masterfully done, but some people loathed it.

Same. I felt all its systems complimented each other and were really well designed.

Always thought of Odin Sphere as a 2D monster hunter, with the emphasis on crafting/farming/preparation and combat where positioning and enemy knowledge were way more important than reaction and keeping combos up. (When you aren't cheesing the game by doping up anyways)

Always felt people unfairly disliked it for not being something it was never trying to be.

Dambrosi

Banned
Did not know this was coming for Vita. It looks really nice.

I wonder if it's native resolution or 480p like the original.

I also wonder which version will end up selling more in the end. I mean, the Wii version didn't exactly sell gangbusters, but y'know, Vita.

Top Bottom