• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushi-shi: The Sequel (new season) |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Episode 7

That episode felt a bit different from the others so far in that
there was no real "resolution" to the problem that the mushi was causing
. Still better than episode 6 though.

Erigu

That post reminded me that I recently came across this (probably old for some):

MCcURwx.jpg

duckroll

Episode 6

Wow, that was a really creepy episode. Definitely a much stronger horror bend than most of the stories. It was unique, but really pretty unpleasant to watch. It's a haunting reminder that the show doesn't really shy away from showing the dark side of humanity from time to time, even though the general tone of Ginko's travels tend to be more positive in nature. There seemed to be really minimal animation in this episode too, but yet it was still effective in conveying the atmosphere due to great use to close ups and music. Great directing.

duckroll

PSA: Episode 8 won't be streaming/airing this week. There's been some production delay. When it doesn't appear on Friday, don't panic. It'll be out next week.

---

Episode 7

A nice contrast to the previous episode, which had a lot of dark scenes. This time round the setting was mostly misty and set in the day. One interesting thing about the narrative here is how the story is basically entirely in the flashbacks. The current events merely serve a sort of ending and epilogue to events which already happened before this. While the previous episode was pretty much full on classic Japanese horror, this one fits more along the tone of a typical strange tale, complete a distinct moral to the story - man cannot control nature, but depending on the circumstances man can use nature to our advantage by changing how we live.

-Minsc-

I'm curious, what was this "Special Episode" alluded to at the end of episode 6? It's title was something like "Tales of Mushi".

duckroll

Episode 8

Not a huge fan of this episode. The story felt a bit off, but maybe it's also because I personally dislike the side of humanity the story showcases. In terms of feeling off, I'll say that the behavior of the characters here seem a bit too predictable, but perhaps the point is that sometimes people are predictable and disappointing. Still felt a bit forced though, so I didn't really feel satisfied by the time it ended. With the variety of stories the series tells though, it's expected that not every single one will leave me happy though.

---

Episode 9

This on the other hand is probably one of the better ones yet. There's a nice sense of mystery early on, which creates interest in the nature of the mushi featured in the story, but it also puts Ginko in a situation where he isn't particularly wanted. He's only here because of the generosity of his hosts, and no one is asking for him to actually solve any ailment. Yet he notices something unusual and wants to give his opinion on it. In the end though, the way the story concluded once again shows that Mushishi elevates itself above other series of this sort, and shows that every situation of humans and mushi coming into contact can have different outcomes and sometimes there isn't really a "problem" that needs to be solved at all. This one leaves me with the feeling I like best - a sense of warm satisfaction mixed with mystical awe.

duckroll

http://www.mushishi-anime.com/news/#30641

Sadly, because of the earlier production delay which caused a break in the schedule, they won't be able to air any more episodes in the first half of the season after episode 10. Next week will be the last one for now. I think they might air the final two episodes of the season (it's a two parter) later on in the summer as a special though.

http://www.mushishi-anime.com/news/#30641

Sadly, because of the earlier production delay which caused a break in the schedule, they won't be able to air any more episodes in the first half of the season after episode 10. Next week will be the last one for now. I think they might air the final two episodes of the season (it's a two parter) later on in the summer as a special though.
Super disappointing. We're still getting the rest of the episode though, just at a later date? Well I have the season 1 DVD coming in soon, so I guess I'll be okay.

duckroll

Super disappointing. We're still getting the rest of the episode though, just at a later date? Well I have the season 1 DVD coming in soon, so I guess I'll be okay.

We were supposed to be getting 12 episodes in total this season, but due to the broadcast delays they won't have enough slots to air the last 2. They're still being made though, so they'll probably be released somehow before the second half of the season continues in October.

We were supposed to be getting 12 episodes in total this season, but due to the broadcast delays they won't have enough slots to air the last 2. They're still being made though, so they'll probably be released somehow before the second half of the season continues in October.
Oh, ok. For whatever reason I thought we'd be getting all 24 episodes straight, so I assumed the last 14 or so episodes were getting delayed. This isn't so bad then.

LayLa

shame about all the delays but if it is to improve the quality then I can't complain too much, although this season has been a bit of a wasteland personally so missing episodes leave a pretty big hole :/

i love this series. its low-key and it's not about punishing bad guys and glamour. it's one of my favourites <3

that episode about the rainmaker was so terrifically handled.

the woman just had to live it out and then one day, she will be able to resume her life. things like that. I like that kind of resolution to plots.

On another note, I didn't realise this OT existed. Haha. Subscribed now <3

duckroll

Episode 10

I really, really liked this episode. It's one of the rare ones where it's less about a story and just a strange magical experience Ginko runs into. Fantastic visuals and sound this week. The effects were really well done and conveyed the mystic feel perfectly. The score was very precise too, with the music doubling as atmospheric beats. Not uncommon for the series, but it was extra effective here I felt.

Thematically, the episode is a good way to send off the season too, although we were supposed to get two more episodes. I guess it worked out well in the end. Hopefully we'll get some news about when to expect those two episodes in the near future. Until then, we'll just have to look forward to the other half of the season in October.

I just watched Episode 9. Another lovely episode. Felt the tension under the interactions, like duckroll said, he was a guest and he was indebted to the family's help, but he found himself in the position of obligation to break a news that was not his to break. The old man was great. Nice ending too. Not everything has to be purged.

This series always puts me at ease, for some reasons. Contemplative and serene.

Totakeke

Episode 10 was lovely. Overall this season hasn't really invoked the sense of wonder the first season had. Maybe it's the nostalgia speaking. Still, I'd like more episodes to revolve around Ginko rather than him being a passer by.

Hopefully we'll get some news about when to expect those two episodes in the near future.
They'll be bundled with the 3rd Blu-ray box, released on November 26th. Which is weird because that means we'd get them after the 2nd part has started...
Maybe they'll somehow be broadcast before that... No idea when we'll see them on Crunchyroll either.

Anyway, I just finished watching episode 10 and I'm glad this new season is as good as the first. Artland and Hiroshi Nagahama haven't lost their touch after all these years.

duckroll

http://www.mushishi-anime.com/news/#30784

Good news. As I expected, no one will have to wait until the BD releases for the missing episodes. The two parter will be aired as a special in August. On BS11 it'll be on 8/20, while on Tokyo MX it'll be on 8/23. That'll complete the first half of the season before the second half continues in October. :)

Episode 10 was lovely. Overall this season hasn't really invoked the sense of wonder the first season had. Maybe it's the nostalgia speaking. Still, I'd like more episodes to revolve around Ginko rather than him being a passer by.
Yeah, not sure why I didn't really feel this season as much as the last. Maybe it was just how fresh the concept was to me that I really enjoyed the first one, but this season didn't wow me for some reason.

Ninjimbo

It kills me that I only found out about the new episode yesterday.

Anyways, I finished watching the special and, out of all the great episodes this series has, this one felt like the greatest. Maybe it's the after-glow of watching something awesome that's doing the talking, but I loved everything about this one. I also tend to really love the episodes where the universe gets some development like in Pickers of Empty Cocoons and A Sea Of Writings. Usually, the episodes of Mushishi have you seeing Ginko play detective and he's the smartest guy in the room. But in those other episodes, and in this one, Ginko is interacting with people that are either his equal or know more about the situation than he does. In this latest episode you see him interacting with a Mushi master that is part of a clan that has been passing down the work for a century or more.

The way Kumado (the other mushi master) treats Ginko, with a general disdain for what Ginko does and represents, is just interesting to me. It shows you that Ginko is an outlier in the way he views mushi. They're two masters clashing over what to do.

The story of Kumado was ace too. I welcome any reason to have Tanyuu back on screen, but what was done here was really moving. Mushishi has always been about people trying to adapt to the strange powers of the mushi and this episode is no different. It presents people who are forever linked to mushi and how it affects their outlooks on life. I've always liked this aspect of the series since it gives the series a spiritual vibe that I don't often see in other media. It's less about the abilities of the mushi and more about the people dealing with them and how they struggle to cope.

So yeah, amazing episode. I think it encapsulates what Mushishi is all about for me. I can't wait for October.

Mechazawa

I hold you jerks responsible for the fact that I was completely unaware that there was another run of ten episodes after the two part special last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom