• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) animeTV|OT| If I could turn back time, If I could..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind the Airi stuff being cut since it sucked anyway but what was with the ominous kid.talking to the teacher at the end of one episode and the girl who said Kayo stole stuff acting suspicious? Just nothing from that?

I don't mind the Airi stuff being cut since it sucked anyway but what was with the ominous kid.talking to the teacher at the end of one episode and the girl who said Kayo stole stuff acting suspicious? Just nothing from that?

I don't remember exactly, but I thought Kenya speaking to the teacher was just about his surprise party or something. And that girl was set up by Yashiro to be a trap for Satoru. She wasn't important after Yashiro caught him. I think.

Ken'ya was talking to the teacher to plan for Satoru's surprise party. Remember that he gave Satoru and Kayo extra work so they would go home late?
And that girl wasn't acting suspicious, she was just lonely because no one wanted to hang out with her after the incident.

Are Satoru's other friends (glasses and big guy) written out of the story? I hope the big friend at least hooked up with murder victim #3

Maybe she's married to glasses now

Moaradin

Hey that was actually a pretty damn good episode. Probably the best direction it could go after the last one. Still have no idea how this thing is gonna end.

Also people shipping Kayo with a 29 year old man are weird.

Are Satoru's other friends (glasses and big guy) written out of the story? I hope the big friend at least hooked up with murder victim #3

Maybe she's married to glasses now

In the manga its stated in one of the panels that Kazu ends up with Aya

They are the same age having been born on the exact same day. This is even more so now that we are back in 2006 and the mental ages are synced back up

Moaradin

Satoru was a 29 year old in a kid body when he got to know Kayo. It's still fucking weird. It's also weird for people to expect her to not have a life for 15 years. It's like they missed the whole point of Satoru saving her to begin with lol.

Satoru was a 29 year old in a kid body when he got to know Kayo. It's still fucking weird. It's also weird for people to expect her to not have a life for 15 years. It's like they missed the whole point of Satoru saving her to begin with lol.

people are accustomed to regular anime writing where that dumb shit would happen

Guess Who

Banned
Let's not pretend the show doesn't very much tease Kayo and Satoru as a couple, from the blushing palm-touch scene to the "you're pretty-- oh shit, did I say that out loud" to the "I told my friends we're going on a date" to the mom lying between them and Satoru saying she's in the way. If people read Kayo and Satoru as love interests it's because the show repeatedly shows them that way, especially with Airi's role reduced to near-irrelevance.

Guess Who

Banned
And sometimes love doesnt come to be.
Especially when you are in a coma for 15 years.

Sure - I'm not arguing that they should've gotten together or anything (all the "cucking" stuff is :rolleyes:), just that calling people weird for thinking Kayo and Satoru are love interests is kinda silly considering the show clearly wants people to see it that way.

Let's not pretend the show doesn't very much tease Kayo and Satoru as a couple, from the blushing palm-touch scene to the "you're pretty-- oh shit, did I say that out loud" to the "I told my friends we're going on a date" to the mom lying between them and Satoru saying she's in the way. If people read Kayo and Satoru as love interests it's because the show repeatedly shows them that way, especially with Airi's role reduced to near-irrelevance.

True, but nobody in this thread is arguing (at least as far as I can see) that the show didn't tease a Kayo-Sataru pairing. Instead it's about the fanbase seemingly being ticked off that the two didn't end up together even though it would have made no sense given the circumstances being pitted against it happening.

First all off, if we take the coma at face value as an inevitability of the plot, Sataru was comatose for 15 years, and during all that time every doctor they met said it would have been impossible for him to wake up and that it would have been better to pull the plug. Nobody, let alone a 10 year old child would have decided to spend their entire lives waiting on a less than 1% chance of him waking up, which is why the childhood crush had to move on...like it does in every day relationships that you just have to give up on because of things outside of your control.

That said, lets chuck that out the window and assume the absolute best case scenario of Sataru found out who the killer was and saved all the children and his mother back in 1988. The question is then "now what?". Does he live out the next 15 years making new decisions and maybe end up with Kayo... or does he do what the show has already showed to happen and fast forward back to 2006 with him having no memories of anything that happened in the changed timeline until he looked it up on the internet. Where he has to put his faith in the decisions of kid Sataru to keep any potential relationship going without the influence of future Sataru. In fact its entirely possible that once he would have returned back to the future he becomes a loner again because that was the natural state of things

Either way, if people looked at it in whole there was no way it was going to happen.

Guess Who

Banned
True, but nobody in this thread is arguing (at least as far as I can see) that the show didn't tease a Kayo-Sataru pairing. Instead it's about the fanbase seemingly being ticked off that the two didn't end up together even though it would have made no sense given the circumstances being pitted against it happening.

I'm mostly reacting to these posts:

but guys, Kayo was never Satoru's love interest

Shouta

Satoru had to remind himself like 4 times that he was 29 years old. Even he thought it was weird.

Right. That's actually part of why it's funny/cute. It's him getting caught up in the moment and forgetting he's actually 29. It's meant for that instead of showing them as a potential couple more than anything. Satoru's been focused on achieving his goal for the entire show only lapsing a few times for these laughs, heh.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=NTR

NTR:
Japanese acronym for Netorare, used to define a genre of Eroge (Hentai Game), meaning "Cuckold". In short, the main protagonist's loved one(s) are taken or seduced away from him and the heroine might be willing or unwilling. This is to cause an emotion of deep jealousy on the reader.

And while we're at it:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cucked

cucked:
Synonymous with "cuckolded." One whose wife has had sexual relations with another man (in modern use, often with the husband's approval) has been cucked.

When his wife took her lover in front of him, he knew he had been cucked.

thank you.

this last episode man, i shed a single tear for satoru. my man.

i dont even want to think what's gonna happen in the next episode, Airi with six kids from the manager or some shit like that

Where can I buy those shipper goggles? They seem to make people see things just as much as the new VR stuff.

The mission that Satoru has for himself is befriending her to safe her. If you manage to ignore part of the damn basic premise then, yes, I guess parts of the show look as though it's about shipping a 29 year old man (even when he's send back that's his mental age) to a 10 year old.

If you have indeed gotten that impression, then I wish you'd come to the conclusion "damn, this show is some messed up, creepy shit."

I for one see bits like the "you're pretty" as completely innocuous, in-the-moment statements. If she does look pretty you can think and say that without falling in love or anything. People call their children pretty all the time. Satoru notices that she looks pretty and makes the statement because, yeh, he happens to sometimes say it out loudly accidentally. That makes for some pretty comedic but also endearing moments.

It's also worth noting that there's some moments that actually are genuinely creepy, such as Satoru's fantasizing when his mom and Hinazuki are bathing. It's hard to interpret that scene as anything innocent. Most of the earlier ones, though, take some twisted thinking to be regarded as such.

And if you did see it as such, then call out the show for that. But I didn't see any shippers come out in episode 2 and 3, saying "hey, it's kinda messed up that they're pushing Satoru and Hinazuki together as a pair when he's, if nothing else mentally, 19 years her senior." It's because shippers have the messed up view that everything is fine as long as there is shipping. Age and context plays no role.

Doom.

Banned
Kinda obvious about the teacher but who else would the killer be

I wonder Satoru will fall off that roof then rewind. It shows him falling off the roof in the intro

The intro is amazing in telling you what happens in the entire show for a minute and a half. Just opening it up with both Satoru's seeing the movie of their life, and cutting to vague scenes that gain greater meaning once you have the context as you watch the show (Where'd all the water come from? *Watches episode 10*...ohhhh). I know a lot of intros do this but I think it's executed particularly well here. Definitely one of my favourite anime intros.

Gorillaz

Idk what's more hilarious the opening cutting him completely out or the fact the internet last their shit because apparently they did go a different direction then the manga

Im still onboard idk how they will wrap this up. Im homedtly expecting a movie now or at least a hour long episode or something.

Just watched all 11 episodes. What a great premise. Everything done in 1988 was well written from the internal monologues, acting out of age, and Kayo's relationship. Everything in the present was like a completely different and cheesy mystery anime from a different writer. From being framed, explosion at Airi's house, Satoru being there just in time, how Airi blindly trusts a suspect, having her mother becoming an accomplice and posing as her in bed and even the revival mechanic in the first episode was cheesy and unnecessary. The story would be better and remains the same if Satoru suddenly finds himself in the past. It's not like he can do revival within a revival anyways. Also, why would Satoru tell his killer he remembers him killing him?

Still, I really enjoyed the series for how strong the narrative and storytelling in 1988 was and hope ep 12 delivers.

Instead of telling his mother what train to take, he should have told her to invest in Microsoft.

Guess Who

Banned
Where can I buy those shipper goggles? They seem to make people see things just as much as the new VR stuff.

The mission that Satoru has for himself is befriending her to safe her. If you manage to ignore part of the damn basic premise then, yes, I guess parts of the show look as though it's about shipping a 29 year old man (even when he's send back that's his mental age) to a 10 year old.

If you have indeed gotten that impression, then I wish you'd come to the conclusion "damn, this show is some messed up, creepy shit."

I for one see bits like the "you're pretty" as completely innocuous, in-the-moment statements. If she does look pretty you can think and say that without falling in love or anything. People call their children pretty all the time. Satoru notices that she looks pretty and makes the statement because, yeh, he happens to sometimes say it out loudly accidentally. That makes for some pretty comedic but also endearing moments.

It's also worth noting that there's some moments that actually are genuinely creepy, such as Satoru's fantasizing when his mom and Hinazuki are bathing. It's hard to interpret that scene as anything innocent. Most of the earlier ones, though, take some twisted thinking to be regarded as such.

And if you did see it as such, then call out the show for that. But I didn't see any shippers come out in episode 2 and 3, saying "hey, it's kinda messed up that they're pushing Satoru and Hinazuki together as a pair when he's, if nothing else mentally, 19 years her senior." It's because shippers have the messed up view that everything is fine as long as there is shipping. Age and context plays no role.

I love how condescending and presumptuous this post is from the first sentence. (I'm not even shipping them! I'm just doing a pretty surface level and obvious reading of the work!)

In anime there are lots of popular protagonists who want to fuck their little sisters and there are countless shows devoted to lolicon pandering. I am not trying to defend these tropes or state that ERASED should have gone that route. I hate that stuff and get turned off when shows do it. (What I would do for a version of Monogatari without all the siscon/lolicon bullshit.) I'm just saying these kinds of creepy romances are pervasive in anime, and honestly Satoru falling for Kayo would be incredibly inoffensive compared to a lot of the garbage that happens in other shows. Acting like such a thing would be totally crazy and unusual suggests either you're unfamiliar with other anime or simply think ERASED is above that, but sadly ERASED is a mediocre thriller with a few great episodes brought to you by the studio and director behind Sword Art Online, and while ERASED ultimately (and correctly) didn't actually hook Kayo and Satoru up, the show pretty obviously teased it.

I think it takes a pretty willful obtuseness to not see how Kayo and Satoru's relationship can be read as a childhood puppy love. It's not really depicted as sexual or anything - that would be awful and gross even by anime standards - just as two kids blushing around each other and holding hands, because that's what romance looks like when you're ten years old. The "you're pretty" scene which you singled out would be nothing on its own, sure, but in the context of everything else it's clear what they were going for. Hell, if Satoru weren't 29 it'd actually be a pretty cute depiction of childhood love. My guess is the director or author (or whoever is responsible for these scenes) figured the audience would just put the Satoru-is-actually-29 thing in the back of their mind (or just not care, because again, anime audiences tend to be pretty desensitized to the creepiness of this kind of thing) and take that stuff at face value as depicting kids with childhood crushes.

I think it takes a pretty willful obtuseness to not see how Kayo and Satoru's relationship can be read as a childhood puppy love. It's not really depicted as sexual or anything - that would be awful and gross even by anime standards - just as two kids blushing around each other and holding hands, because that's what romance looks like when you're ten years old. The "you're pretty" scene which you singled out would be nothing on its own, sure, but in the context of everything else it's clear what they were going for. Hell, if Satoru weren't 29 it'd actually be a pretty cute depiction of childhood love.

Well, yes. That Kayo's becoming infatuated with this boy is only normal considering her situation and Satoru's playing along and even enjoying it. No reason not to be fond of dragging a girl bit by bit out of her misery and seeing her light up every now and then.

My guess is the director or author (or whoever is responsible for these scenes) figured the audience would just put the Satoru-is-actually-29 thing in the back of their mind (or just not care, because again, anime audiences tend to be pretty desensitized to the creepiness of this kind of thing) and take that stuff at face value as depicting kids with childhood crushes.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Do you mean to say that the director/author intended for people to view Satoru's and Kayo's relationship from hereon as a regular crush sort of situation even though there's the problem with actual age etc. and ship them together overall, which I wouldn't agree with, or are you saying that, in the moment, these scenes are just supposed to mimic regular childhood crushes but the audience should have the larger context and Satoru's goals in the back of their mind, which I would agree with. Because judged on their own, most of these scenes are really well done and do not convey some creepy view and message on all this. That doesn't change just because there's a lot of bad anime where incest and so forth is the norm. When a show gives you no reason to impart trash-anime values on its content, then one shouldn't do so. Admittedly, Erased is a terrible thriller half the time, but that doesn't directly mean everything else is bad, too.

My issue to begin with, is that these shippers are so into shipping and/or are so accustomed to crappy incest, lolicon and whatever else anime, that they see a fairly nice portrayal of character interaction and twist it into some stupid shit. I wouldn't mind anyone being upset seeing Hinazuki together with Hiromi as a first reaction. However, if you're then not capable and look at the actual context and all and figure that this isn't an issue whatsoever, then I wanna say its high time for some introspection. That people are actually going on online platforms genuinely upset and type out responses how Hiromi is a scumbag for 'taking Satoru's girlfriend', talk about her like a trophy, demand for her to wait however many years it takes for a comatose boy to wake up and get together with him, and so on and so forth...that is simply fucking stupid.

And I can't agree with any defense that tries to argue that the show itself pushed Hinazuki and Satoru as this sort of romantic pair, when it did so neither purposely nor accidentally.

Let's be honest, how is it even possible to forget that Satoru is 29 years old when he's constantly narrating with this older voice of his, even often explaining the different kind of views he has as an adult. That is part of the appeal to begin with. That's what special about his situation and that's what made Erased shine in episodes 2 and 3 in particular. So the argument that people are somehow justified in forgetting all this, even getting plenty of time to think about it, is kinda ludicrous to me.

Parshias7

I really liked the effect of kid-Satoru narrating for adult-Satoru while he had lost his memories.

It'll be interesting to see how this ends, as they've cut pretty large bits out of the manga's ending, but I assume it'll end up in mostly the same place, if not with the same setting.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ep.11
I see they changed a lot of things from the manga to fit it into 12 episodes. The opening with Satoru erased can be jarring at a times, especially during action scenes. I wish they change it too, not just erasing Satoru. Anyway, anyone notice that Yashiro wearing glove when he visit Kumi, take off his glove when meeting Satoru, then wear it again during their trip to the roof? Not sure if its intentional or error.
One thing i also notice, i think Satoru already got his memory (at least partially, i think he's in the process of connecting all dots) after meeting with Kayo, and he remember Yashiro from the very beginning when they reunited. Not to mention child Satoru no longer narrating during the 2nd half.
That's why he don't feel threatened when Yashiro taken him to the roof. He probably already prepare something to finish this once and for all.

I should mention that Satoru's mom is simply the best. Mother of the forever!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
For some reason I thought episode 11 was the last, and I watched the opening as I tend to do on last episodes (if it's any good). Good thing I did because the way they changed it was neat.

Anyway, this is vaguely interesting. I'll wait for the series to finish and then I'll read the manga.

Sami+

Just binge watched because my friends told me it was amazing. Started out super good (first three episodes in particular I think) but it got really bad as time went by imo. Lots of really stupid anime shit. Bad writing, what is subtlety, some bullshit about chocolate bars and hamsters, ehhhh. Also I get conpletely sucked out of the show every time someone cries, it looks so bad.

Eh. I guess I'll finish but this show really let me down.

Squalor

The show is still really good, but it has fallen to the third-best anime of the season.

It was firmly number two for a while (nothing has been as good as Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū in years), but mid- and late-season greatness from Ajin have allowed it to overtake The Town Without Me as it has somewhat stumbled down the stretch.

KiN0

I'm not really sure how to feel about this ending. I guess it works for Satoru, but looking at the show as a whole, Kayo's story feels like an extended side story.

Erased 12

Ehhh....

Better then I expected it to be but ehh. The anime definitely started way stronger then the manga and polished up the best parts (the Director knew what the real selling point was) but the manga ended way stronger then the anime did.

That last scene was lame as fuck though, could've improved the manga ending but ya didn't

I'm not really sure how to feel about this ending. I guess it works for Satoru, but looking at the show as a whole, Kayo's story feels like an extended side story.

So the side story was by far the best part of the show then

KiN0

Erased 12

Ehhh....

Better then I expected it to be but ehh. The anime definitely started way stronger then the manga and polished up the best parts (the Director knew what the real selling point was) but the manga ended way stronger then the anime did.

That last scene was lame as fuck though, could've improved the manga ending but ya didn't

So the side story was by far the best part of the show then

Yeah. I mean, even the director seemed to think so.

Qurupeke

a14jOvS.png

She is the best.

ERASED [END]

I'll forget that the last, unnecessary minute happened and OH MY GOD SATORU X MISATO!!!! :D

That was pretty good, it's a shame that they had to rush in order to deliver that finale.

But lol, the rooftop scene and the flashbacks almost made it seem that the teacher had romantic feelings for Satoru. I kinda expected both of them to fall off and die, mirroring Naruto's ending.

Also, we got no motive for the killer. I guess I'll read the manga, because his killing sprees seems to be fueled by his hatred for hamsters.

Also, we got no motive for the killer. I guess I'll read the manga, because his killing sprees seems to be fueled by his hatred for hamsters.

yeah they cut like 90% of that. The hamster part and the spider thread was the only thing they kept. The "ending" to the manga is generally the same in tone, but the structure of the last dozen or so chapters of the manga is completely cut, switched around or restructured in the anime. I guess they just ran out of time? Even before then there are plenty of odd removals.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Watched the last episode. Definitely meh, they didn't do much with the time allotted - everything resolve in a minute or so and the rest was just a montage that held less weight than it should because we don't really care about anyone except Kayo.

Like others are saying, it really felt like the Kayo parts were much better -- the rest was done in a rush or less thoughtfully. We never gained any insight into the other characters.

Does the manga do a better part of it? I wanna read it - should I start from the beginning or is there a point I can jump in from?

Watched the last episode. Definitely meh, they didn't do much with the time allotted - everything resolve in a minute or so and the rest was just a montage that held less weight than it should because we don't really care about anyone except Kayo.

Like others are saying, it really felt like the Kayo parts were much better -- the rest was done in a rush or less thoughtfully. We never gained any insight into the other characters.

Does the manga do a better part of it? I wanna read it - should I start from the beginning or is there a point I can jump in from?

The manga does stuff better near the end for sure imo. There are minimal changes up to a certain point (most for the better) but around chapter 27/28 is where stuff starts to change, and after the coma parts it REALLY starts to change.

The anime does the stuff you care about better up to a certain point. Nearly all the flaws are still present in the manga. Art is pretty rough too. In the manga it at least feels like the thriller elements were adding up to something, in the anime they are just kind of...there since the manga had them.

Seiniyta

I think this show would have been much better if they made it 14-15 episodes instead of the 12 we got now.

That being said, I did like what they did with the last two episodes in tying things up. The first few episodes were amazing. The rest was 'good'.

Still satisfied with the ending, though a bit let down of what could have been. But it's by no means terrible. I think we just judge it harsher because of how good the first few episodes were.

Episodes 2-4 of Erased are amazing and the rest of the series doesn't really come close to that at all. Which sucks, but at least we got those three episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom