• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) animeTV|OT| If I could turn back time, If I could..

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Erased does nothing for me anymore. Ever since Kayo was saved, all the clever writing was thrown out of the window trying to cram as much shit as possible in the last few episodes. Yeah Satoru, let's tell Yashiro that
you know his secret when you are your most vulnerable. You can't even walk!
People who were hailing this as a mature show clearly haven't watched Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. Sadly, it seems no one is truly giving the best show of the season a chance. :(

Oh wow. My friend just told me that (Scene the anime changed from the manga in this latest episode)
instead of the teacher stopping the photographers, it was supposed to be Airi, and they were supposed to have a moment afterward. RIP Airi ship.
This along with not showing the teacher's backstory actually make me a little sad the way the show turned out.
Wait, maybe I'm tired but how would this even make a lick of sense?
Airi and Satoru would have never met in this timeline since he would have never worked in the Pizza Parlor due to the coma. Why on earth would she know Satoru or even be at the hospital?

Cornbread78

Airi and Satoru would have never met in this timeline since he would have never worked in the Pizza Parlor due to the coma. Why on earth would she know Satoru or even be at the hospital?

After being pissed they skipped this scene yesterday, I began to think about it and this is my question as well. When in a coma, he obviously, never went through another revival and would have stayed on that timeline.
This means he never would have met her in the first place at this point. The only way this scene would make any sense would be if she was only reacting based on his story (her personnal sense of justice) from the media and that was the first time they met.
As Line_HTX pointed out this scene took place three years prior to the Airi timeline and those events.

Mendrox

After being pissed they skipped this scene yesterday, I began to think about it and this is my question as well. When in a coma, he obviously, never went through another revival and would have stayed on that timeline.
This means he never would have met her in the first place at this point. The only way this scene would make any sense would be if she was only reacting based on his story (her personnal sense of justice) from the media and that was the first time they met.
As Line_HTX pointed out this scene took place three years prior to the Airi timeline and those events.

No the scene is fine in the manga, because both of them react like people that don't know eachother, but Satoru feels like that she is important. Also she says some strong things to motivate cancer girl and Satoru and after that it is really funny that Satoru
goes into another coma again for 1 or 2 years
because he tries to remember or some shit - he went into shock.

Edit: Also everyone should read the manga chapter 32 for the Yashiros backstory. He is really fucked up and it makes more sense in the manga version.

Also fuck Hiromi.

Cornbread78

Bro code doesn't apply when it was a girl you were interested in when you were like fucking 10 lmao. If so every girl and boy in Anime who promise to marry when they're super young would be forced to do so it's a verbal contract
Lmao duck tales

Woo hoo 10/10

It's always bro code when it comes to girls, unless it's agreed upon ahead of time, but again, I do not think this was a "love story" of sorts..

O0QeoZT.jpg

but guys, Kayo was never Satoru's love interest

This is an outstanding breakdown of that last episode that mixes the differences between the Anime and the Manga and adds a lot of insight into everything that was going on.

http://soaring-blossoms.tumblr.com/post/141225203645/about-the-recent-erased-episode

The more and more I see, I can't believe all the little details I missed in the OP and ED from this episode. The amount of detail they put into those was amazing...

"Why did you have to stray from the manga, A-1?
WHERE IS MY AIRI ROUTE?! You better give me an Airi ending, A-1. I was already fucked up when he didn’t end up with Kayo, don’t take my Airi ending away from me."

"WHAT THE FUCK??? So…in “Erased” anime, they “erased” Airi from the storyline?
If I remember it right, isn’t she suppose to be the important part of his memories and he got his memories back when he went to see her???????

WHAT IS THIS?????"

"MY SHIP FUCKING DIED THIS ISNT WHAT I WANTED"

"...my shipper heart is dead, you build me up only to tear me down.. Whyyy?? ;-;"

OuO5k23.png

More and more I feel like Im watching this show for an entirely different reason than others. You'd think this was some kind of shitty harem series by the sounds of it.

More and more I feel like Im watching this show for an entirely different reason than others. You'd think this was some kind of shitty harem series by the sounds of it.
I feel the same way.

I never in a million years expected there'd be a romantic followup between the two. In fact, I deeply appreciated the fact that the show/Satoru acknowledged that he represented a way out of that abusive cycle, rather than a legitimate baby romance.

Cornbread78

Clearly, the best relationship in Erased is:

vEm1aNx.gif

Mom has spent four hours of every day for the last 15 years caring for my body. For the last three years, she’s been using an EMS device to prepare for the day when I woke up. She took care of my joints and my muscles. I was 139 cm tall in fifth grade, and now I’m 169 cm tall. Dr. Kitamura Keeps saying, “This is all because of your mother”

Cornbread78

That god damn teacher!
And what does NTR mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=NTR

NTR:
Japanese acronym for Netorare, used to define a genre of Eroge (Hentai Game), meaning "Cuckold". In short, the main protagonist's loved one(s) are taken or seduced away from him and the heroine might be willing or unwilling. This is to cause an emotion of deep jealousy on the reader.

And while we're at it:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cucked

cucked:
Synonymous with "cuckolded." One whose wife has had sexual relations with another man (in modern use, often with the husband's approval) has been cucked.

When his wife took her lover in front of him, he knew he had been cucked.

Episode 11

Two weeks ago, I couldn't predict that people would explain the meaning of getting cucked in this thread.

Sword Art Online Director is the mastermind of our generation, he still has the magic touch. Love this guy

Episode was actually pretty good though, time flew by while I was watching it, I enjoyed myself.

Airi will save Saturo when he jumps of the building.

Also Saturo will jump of the building because he can suddenly walk again because of friendship.

-------------------

Btw, the scene with Saturo getting his memories back had zero impact. Happened way too sudden to me.

TUSR

Banned

Also Saturo will jump of the building because he can suddenly walk again because of friendship.
Nah dude Satoru is gonna fall on her pizza delivery cart when he jumps off the building.

Both will die on impact before anyone has the chance to say:

"Are you stupid?"

-------------------

Btw, the scene with Saturo getting his memories back had zero impact. Happened way too sudden to me.

I think the moment Yashiro started to tap his finger I knew he was gonna get his memories back that scene. The heavy rain outside only helped since that probably triggered the drowning memories. I didnt think it was too sudden.

Cornbread78

Speaking of, I keep forgetting that they told us the ending a long time ago....

YuDScc6.gif

fVyoGCy.png

Sunny day, rainy day though..... Why they different?

PK Gaming

Episode 11 was alright, but Kayo being married to Hiromi is the dumbest thing.

She should have married someone we didn't know because that's how it works in real life. It's always painful to see someone you like end up with someone else, and part of the reason why is due to you not knowing anything about that person. It's that unknown element that prevents you from ever getting a modicum of closure.

Anyway, her marrying Hiromi is completely arbitrary (they legit had 0 chemistry), and it's just fodder for cuck jokes.

Mendrox

I never cared about Kayo or Satorus love interest. I just dont like Hiromi that is seriously all. He looks so Bad after the skip lol

Shouta

I feel the same way.

I never in a million years expected there'd be a romantic followup between the two. In fact, I deeply appreciated the fact that the show/Satoru acknowledged that he represented a way out of that abusive cycle, rather than a legitimate baby romance.

People engage with the content they consume in different ways. You're probably watching the show the way the author intended you to though, lol

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
People engage with the content they consume in different ways. You're probably watching the show the way the author intended you to though, lol

I wasn't in for the romance either but it's impossible to ignore how rushed everything has felt for the past 3 episodes.

I'm disappointed they're going Anime original ending because I don't care enough to learn how the Manga ends. So once we end the Anime I'll just ask Manga people like duckie to spoil me.

(Manga Spoilers)
Well, in the manga Airi being at the Hospital was a coincidence type thing. I believe she was there for volunteer work, and she happened upon Sataru and Kumi while they were being stalked by the paparazzi's. As for how he gets his memories back
(Super Manga Spoilers)
The meeting with Airi is what brings back the memories of the previous timeline where his mother is dead and his friends have been killed. This starts to form cracks that he starts to question for why he knows exactly what happened to his band of friends while he was in a coma, despite not being told by them. The example given in the manga is the Graduation Field Trip and a new scene that happened on that field trip where Kazu gets into a fight with some Tokyo school students and drags Kenya into it. They both get their asses kicked and in the previous timeline Sataru had used Vaseline to clean and cover the wound, whereas in the new timeline it was Hiromi who used the Vaseline while Kayo distracted the teacher

Read the first quote because it states how the scene is portrayed in the manga. Second Quote is how that leads to memories being regained

Episode 11 was alright, but Kayo being married to Hiromi is the dumbest thing.

She should have married someone we didn't know because that's how it works in real life. It's always painful to see someone you like end up with someone else, and part of the reason why is due to you not knowing anything about that person. It's that unknown element that prevents you from ever getting a modicum of closure.

Anyway, her marrying Hiromi is completely arbitrary (they legit had 0 chemistry), and it's just fodder for cuck jokes.
You see, if it wasn't for Satoru both of them would be dead. So for that part of the story you get the ultimate good ending: he saved two lives and they made another together. Maybe it's something that would have happened anyway if they lived, who knows.

I never cared about Kayo or Satorus love interest. I just dont like Hiromi that is seriously all. He looks so Bad after the skip lol

Hiromi's a bro. In the manga (flavour text really)
He goes to school to become a doctor/brain surgeon so that he can try to help Sataru while he was in his coma

No the scene is fine in the manga, because both of them react like people that don't know eachother, but Satoru feels like that she is important. Also she says some strong things to motivate cancer girl and Satoru and after that it is really funny that Satoru
goes into another coma again for 1 or 2 years
because he tries to remember or some shit - he went into shock.

Edit: Also everyone should read the manga chapter 32 for the Yashiros backstory. He is really fucked up and it makes more sense in the manga version.

Also fuck Hiromi.

Okay so... I see why people are pissed about the changed content, but honestly (at least from reading this order of events) the manga version sounds like bullshit. If anything, they streamlined the ending to a degree to exclude these redundant beats (Satoru goes back into a coma out of shock? Really?) or stuff that makes no sense (Airi seeks out Satoru because reasons, despite never having met?).

Looking at it from the director's point of view for example, I can understand why they omitted things like their reunion with Kayo, so as to make her return in the future that much more meaningful (even if they did rush through it mindlessly). In terms of efficiency, there have been understandable changes such as Satoru having a revive immediately after his mother's death and chasing down the killer. In the grand scheme of things, that gives us nothing that the scene as it was didn't in a more concise manner. There's even really strange stuff like Satoru creating a stun gun out of a disposable camera to get Kayo's mother out of the picture, which on top of being a bizarre solution, would have been needless busy work in the context of the show and served better being cut.

And I'm really disappointed to see so many people were expecting Kayo and Satoru to be a thing. That was never the point of this ordeal. He simply wanted to save her and his mother. There are so many other shows that cram in this needless romantic shit out there already, so having this show not fall into those trappings is a relief and refreshing to see.

In the end, I agree that this is feeling rushed. But in terms of the detail and omission changes, I'm becoming more and more convinced it was to trim shoe leather more than anything.

Mendrox

Okay so... I see why people are pissed about the changed content, but honestly (at least from reading this order of events) the manga version sounds like bullshit. If anything, they streamlined the ending to a degree to exclude these redundant beats (Satoru goes back into a coma out of shock? Really?) or stuff that makes no sense (Airi seeks out Satoru because reasons, despite never having met?).

Looking at it from the director's point of view for example, I can understand why they omitted things like their reunion with Kayo, so as to make her return in the future that much more meaningful (even if they did rush through it mindlessly). In terms of efficiency, there have been understandable changes such as Satoru having a revive immediately after his mother's death and chasing down the killer. In the grand scheme of things, that gives us nothing that the scene as it was didn't in a more concise manner. There's even really strange stuff like Satoru creating a stun gun out of a disposable camera to get Kayo's mother out of the picture, which on top of being a bizarre solution, would have been needless busy work in the context of the show and served better being cut.

And I'm really disappointed to see so many people were expecting Kayo and Satoru to be a thing. That was never the point of this ordeal. He simply wanted to save her and his mother. There are so many other shows that cram in this needless romantic shit out there already, so having this show not fall into those trappings is a relief and refreshing to see.

In the end, I agree that this is feeling rushed. But in terms of the detail and omission changes, I'm becoming more and more convinced it was to trim shoe leather more than anything.

It's hard to explain why it is so different in the manga. In the manga Satoru also dreams of Airi back then when he was a kid the second time and he misses her. Airi also didn't went there at the hospital because of Satoru. Both of them still don't know eachother, but they feel like that they know eachother. She is just there in that moment to give both of the characters (cancer girl and him) strength, well except that she causes something else in Satoru, but has to do with remembering things and jumping through time all the time. The thing with Airi and Satoru is nothing else than showing fate and keeping strings attached to things and it is a an important aspect that connects with the series title.

Omitting Yashiros backstory like this and "streamlining" it was just bad. The hamster scene was in the manga too, but it wasn't the important part at all. The point is, that
he is so fucked up since he got beaten all the time by his brother and he didn't care and his brother was the first person to have the "string" over his head and so Yashiro started to get rid of these people - also his brother used little girls for fun which transfered to Yashiro too. It was a full 45 page chapter in the manga. I think it's really important.

They just had not enough time and they just skip 1/4 of the series and that part really strengthes the point of the characters connection, memories and how we handle our own existence. The past reunion scene with Kayo was great in the manga, but I agree that in order to make the scene with Kayo and Satoru better it was good to cut that scene.

Shouta

It's hard to explain why it is so different in the manga. In the manga Satoru also dreams of Airi back then when he was a kid the second time and he misses her. Airi also didn't went there at the hospital because of Satoru. Both of them still don't know eachother, but they feel like that they know eachother. She is just there in that moment to give both of the characters (cancer girl and him) strength, well except that she causes something else in Satoru, but has to do with remembering things and jumping through time all the time. The thing with Airi and Satoru is nothing else than showing fate and keeping strings attached to things and it is a an important aspect that connects with the series title.

Omitting Yashiros backstory like this and "streamlining" it was just bad. The hamster scene was in the manga too, but it wasn't the important part at all. The point is, that
he is so fucked up since he got beaten all the time by his brother and he didn't care and his brother was the first person to have the "string" over his head and so Yashiro started to get rid of these people - also his brother used little girls for fun which transfered to Yashiro too. It was a full 45 page chapter in the manga. I think it's really important.

They just had not enough time and they just skip 1/4 of the series and that part really strengthes the point of the characters connection, memories and how we handle our own existence. The past reunion scene with Kayo was great in the manga, but I agree that in order to make the scene with Kayo and Satoru better it was good to cut that scene.

Actually, hamster scene is an important scene because it shows where he crossed the line. That's why it made it into the episode instead of the other stuff. It's a lot less oh shit by itself but it's at the core of his thinking.

sonicmj1

I agree with this. Most of the manga stuff I'm reading about really doesn't seem all that important, and a lot of it is rehashing old ground. I certainly wouldn't complain about giving certain events more room to breathe, but the overall structure seems fine.

Like, with the Yashiro backstory, I think the beginning of this episode handles things as well as it needs to. I mean, maybe I'm a little interested in how he's so well-off, but everything I really need to know about his psychology, in the context of his relationship with Satoru, is already there.

Mendrox

Actually, hamster scene is an important scene because it shows where he crossed the line. That's why it made it into the episode instead of the other stuff. It's a lot less oh shit by itself but it's at the core of his thinking.

Still doesn't have the same impact on me and my friend. I was really surprised that they kept this scene, but didn't really add the fact with the brother and his doing for a minute just to make the scene and his thinking a bit more prominent. The anime was just cheap for me now and if I were an anime only viewer I wouldn't give a shit at all without my manga knowledge. Yes the hamsters have shown in which direction his mind goes, but the string above his brother and everything after that show how he becomes a careful planer and everything else which I found really important for a mystery series with a killer. Why else should I give a shit?

Still doesn't have the same impact on me and my friend. I was really surprised that they kept this scene, but didn't really add the fact with the brother and his doing for a minute just to make the scene and his thinking a bit more prominent. The anime was just cheap for me now and if I were an anime only viewer I wouldn't give a shit at all without my manga knowledge. Yes the hamsters have shown in which direction his mind goes, but the string above his brother and everything after that show how he becomes a careful planer and everything else which I found really important for a mystery series with a killer. Why else should I give a shit?
I dunno, my gf and I are both anime-only and our jaws dropped at the hamster story. Amongst my 10 or so friends watching concurrently with us, we're all pretty much at the edge of our seats regarding what will happen next. I think if you've got the manga's series of events stitched into your mind going in, it might be harder to be unbiased about it.

The more I read about the Airi the better I feel about her getting cut short in the anime. I wondered if there's hidden backstory to her that is of meaning even in the past or some kind of other plot related point. Instead she appears to be merely a very poor love interest, who of course has to be 17 and pretty much randomly attracted to our 29 years old heroic MC, blergh. Forcing her into this post-coma timeline because of some soulmate bullshit would've been atrocious.

That said, it also just goes to show that the show should've been a looser adaptation from the start. Her character really feels out of place if she doesn't get to do anything anymore (though we'll 100% get a short scene with her next episode I figure). Guess they didn't expect to run out of time this badly towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom