• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first Switch is defective

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So I got a nice Switch bundle this year for Christmas
IMG_3828.jpg

I get home and my wife wants us to play Mario together. I put it all together, a nice screen protector too, and it starts to download an update. The system gets to about 80% completion and shuts off.

I turn it back on and it can't get past the Switch logo. I turn it on and off multiple times, I unplug everything, and then I wait 10 minutes to seeif it just needed some time to install the update. Nothing. So I am heading out to the store tomorrow for a replacement.

10-15 years ago I would have been super upset, but I'm actually feeling alright about this. I know I'll get it figured out eventually. Anyone else have this happen?

IMG_3831.jpg

It's the Switch Logo of Death (SLoD)

Ah that is too bad. :( Hopefully you can get a replacement soon. :)

It happens with all electronics, no matter who makes them. A friend had a DOA launch Xbox One, my mom a DOA camera, a coworker's switch made a buzzing sound in his headphones, etc..

I've been pretty lucky on that front so far, nothing has died for me after buying it, but I did buy a new motherboard which was factory sealed and it had no cables or accessories in the box. No sure how that one happened.

jadedm17

A certain amount of every single electronic is dead on arrival.
It sucks, sorry to hear, but it's how companies handle this that defines them : I'm sure they'll replace it quick enough.

Personally I'd just return it and grab another.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I still haven’t taken my launch day Switch out of the box. I really need to check it don’t I?

Paasei

I still haven’t taken my launch day Switch out of the box. I really need to check it don’t I?

I just completed Mario Oddyssey yesterday, after trying to collect and find as much as I could before the end. And damn, this game alone is worthy of getting a Switch.

Minor spoiler for that game:
I am so excited that I can run around at Peach's Castle and can go to the dark side of the moon once I'm done here. I guess I can play as Bowser in the other worlds to smash those space cubes?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just to be sure, the battery's full? Did you put it in the dock to try?

I'd say yes, but I'm just going by the pic.

edit goddamnit, wrong forum. Didn't expect to say that in my lifetime.

Rellik

I got a brand new PS2 on Christmas once and dropped it on to my bedroom floor from standing. Not only did it still work, it was still working up until this year when I finally got rid of it.

"They don't make them like they used to"

So in the middle of an update it just dies? That doesn't seem very likely.

Sounds like the battery died during firmware update and now it's bricked.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just to be sure, the battery's full? Did you put it in the dock to try?

I'd say yes, but I'm just going by the pic.

edit goddamnit, wrong forum. Didn't expect to say that in my lifetime.

I went this morning and exchanged it. The first person I spoke with on the phone was like "did you try the manufacturer?" and I said "I am not sending this to Nintendo". I went there and bought a two year warranty. I am not messing with manufacturer. I did that with the 360 and just recently Sony with a PS4 Slim. It takes weeks to get back and with Sony you have to be at home to sign. That is hard to do if you work during the days they show up. Sony puts a special thing in place to where you can't pick it up from FedEx.

I'm not sure how Nintendo ships their repairs, but I just opened it and Target has a return policy for items until January.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So the new one is fine, I presume? Enjoy, it's a very fun system (obviously).

Oh yeah! I got a good session of Mario in today. Thanks for everyone's support. In-store warranties may be a way for stores to get more money out of you, but I've actually had good luck with them in the past.

A few things I've kept in mind are carefully placing the Switch inside the dock so it doesn't scratch. All those articles about others scratching their Switch were horrible. And making sure the kick stand doesn't just pop off because of force.

LOLCats

Banned
Where did you buy it that you had to use an extended warranty for the return?

That is wierd! And strange and i honestly dont believe the store wouldnt just exchange it.

You must be in some third world country or shopped at a wierd store that has not normal exchange policies.

You really should do, not least because you might have the joycon connectivity problems that affected some launch consoles. Even if you don't intend to use it. You could at least send the joycon in if it is defective.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You really should do, not least because you might have the joycon connectivity problems that affected some launch consoles. Even if you don't intend to use it. You could at least send the joycon in if it is defective.

I did end up setting it up yesterday. It seems fine, doesn’t seem to have any issues.

How would I know about joycon issues? Would I notice problems straight away?

I did end up setting it up yesterday. It seems fine, doesn’t seem to have any issues.

How would I know about joycon issues? Would I notice problems straight away?

You'd notice during gameplay if you're playing docked with joycons in hand. You'd get lag and disconnections in the left joycon.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Where did you buy it that you had to use an extended warranty for the return?

That is wierd! And strange and i honestly dont believe the store wouldnt just exchange it.

You must be in some third world country or shopped at a wierd store that has not normal exchange policies.

My apologies if I confused anyone. I purchased the warranty after it happened. I called Target yesterday morning before I went out because I wanted the gray/black version. They went to do the refund and they told me that they had a 2-year warranty for $39. They had some issues doing the refund because apparently the person who purchased got 20% off, so I had a little more to spend after they rang it up. So I got the warranty.
I don't want to mess with not having a warranty. Its essentially a handheld or tablet with too many fragile pieces. I'd rather be able to go locally than have to have it shipped.

Nintendo has awesome battery life. I know with the NDS you could pick it up a month or so down the road and have a decent charge to your battery. I figured it would at least have half, but this is probably a lesson to learn. When you get a smart phone the carrier will sit there with the phone out of box and they'll get it all setup and updated. In my experience the device has always kept its charge OOB. Lesson learned.

My X1X, got it at the beginning of Dec. played on it for 2 weeks, now I can't play any games that are Enhanced cause they either crush or graphical glitches vibrations or total blackness in game just makes it impossible. Shitty part is, there is no xbox service in my country so I have to mail it to them, and quess what I don't have a fkn box that is strong and big enough to hold the console. Also haev been working for the last 2 weeks constantly. So I guess I'll have it repaired/replaced in January. Good thing I didn't sell my Xbox One.

DanielJr82

I noticed the the headphone jack on my Switch wasn't working... three months after I bought it. I've always used it as a console and not a handheld, then I decided to take it on the road with me with a pair of headphones and the audio comes out of the Switch but not the headphones. It's too late for a return for me, unfortunately. =/

Bummer to see that and the other accounts in this thread.

My Switch's left joycon doesn't click into anything anymore, the paper-thin plastic mechanism you see when you push the button is failing.

The stand barely clicks in to the Switch anymore, either.

If this thing isn't on the dock or in my hand, it's in a hardshell case.

Plastic crap, but I love my Switch <3

iLorah

Neo Member
Sorry to hear that bud! My first one had error code after error code and froze horrifically after a week, my second one has been perfect though! Seems like luck of the draw!

LOLCats

Banned
My apologies if I confused anyone. I purchased the warranty after it happened. I called Target yesterday morning before I went out because I wanted the gray/black version. They went to do the refund and they told me that they had a 2-year warranty for $39. They had some issues doing the refund because apparently the person who purchased got 20% off, so I had a little more to spend after they rang it up. So I got the warranty.
I don't want to mess with not having a warranty. Its essentially a handheld or tablet with too many fragile pieces. I'd rather be able to go locally than have to have it shipped.

Nintendo has awesome battery life. I know with the NDS you could pick it up a month or so down the road and have a decent charge to your battery. I figured it would at least have half, but this is probably a lesson to learn. When you get a smart phone the carrier will sit there with the phone out of box and they'll get it all setup and updated. In my experience the device has always kept its charge OOB. Lesson learned.

20% off a switch at Target? Switch hardware has been excluded on all target coupons. Show me the receipts, because i dont beleve you.

Your story does not jive, but i cant figure out why youd make it up.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
20% off a switch at Target? Switch hardware has been excluded on all target coupons. Show me the receipts, because i dont beleve you.

Your story does not jive, but i cant figure out why youd make it up.

Here you go:
dB4B1bA.jpg

lol I can't do math. Maybe that was the Target card where you get 5% off. I swear I heard her say 20%, but I was worked up about it and wanted to get it done/go home.

Chozo_Lord

This reminds me of when I got my Wii day one and a copy of Twilight Princess. I got to the fishing part that you have to complete in the beginning, but none of the buttons let me fish. I tried everything I could think of. I even tried to find videos of how it was supposed to work which was actually really hard back in 2006. I finally decided the disc was defective, so I returned it to gamestop for a new copy, and what do you know the fishing worked perfectly fine with the new disc. There must have been some early printed copies with bugs circulating.

Portugeezer

My launch switch could only put volume up, played Zelda for a few minutes but there was no point as I would just lose my save file. luckily I was able to buy another one without hassle and get a refund.

I got a brand new PS2 on Christmas once and dropped it on to my bedroom floor from standing. Not only did it still work, it was still working up until this year when I finally got rid of it.

The guy seems to be having a software issue so I’m not sure how that’s relevant.

Why do scalpers get such a bad rep but these guys don't?

Because he did the work to get a console for himself not to make a profit off other people. It’s his console he can do whatever he wants with it. It’s not like he has a pallet of them sitting in his basement.

Ubername

Banned

Fell from a height of how many feet/cm?

Top Bottom