• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend thinks that Greenday are one of the best bands ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
At school we have this radio and it plays throughout break and lunch. At lunch i was sitting with my friends and then boulevard of broken dreams, GAF's favourite song, starts to play. I then said that this was the most awful thing that Ive ever herad and one of my friends just looked at me as though she was going to kill me. She then starts ranting on about how Greenday and Blink 182 are some of the greatest bands ever and some people agreed. I mentioned some groups that I liked, such as U2, The smashing Pumpkins and tool and she replies "U2 are alright, but who the fuck are tool and the smashing pumpkins?" I just couldnt believe it, I cant understand how anyone likes to listen to shit like that, its awful.

Rlan

I enjoy Greenday. Hate Blink though.

Boulevard and American Idiot are songs you can easily listen to while walking around. Heck, I enjoy a good bit of Offspring [Walla Walla, One Fine Day, All I want, Kids aren't alright, Mota] on the ol' MP3CD player.

border

and then my friend said that mortal kombat was the best videogame ever and I was like "metal gear is cool" and they were like "what's metal gear?" what the heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psycho_snake

Rlan said:
I enjoy Greenday. Hate Blink though.

Boulevard and American Idiot are songs you can easily listen to while walking around. Heck, I enjoy a good bit of Offspring [Walla Walla, One Fine Day, All I want, Kids aren't alright, Mota] on the ol' MP3CD player.
Those are the two songs that really made me really hate them. They have been played over so many times that its now painful to listen to.

Your friend is very wrong, of course, but in this case I've decided that it's okay to be wrong. I don't care for their music, but there are myriad bands more offensive than Green Day.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
My [insert opinion] is so much better than your [insert opinion]. LOL, your [insert opinion] is teh gay and totally [mainstream / pretentious / poop smell].

dem

OH NO SOMEONE DOESNT LIKE MUSIC I LIKE

go fuck yourself you dimwit

Maybe when you grow up you'll be able to cope with the fact that green day.. is infact.. catchy. Its fucking enjoyable. Quit looking for some sort of meaning in music because for most people its just the background noise while they goto walmart.

Elitist music fucktards get more annoying each day.

Penguin

I never did get why taste in music is more subjective yet so "factual" base. Is there a problem with liking the bands?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
dem said:

Maybe when you grow up you'll be able to cope with the fact that green day.. is infact.. catchy. Its fucking enjoyable. Quite looking for some sort of meaning in music because for most people its just the background noise while they goto walmart.

I think it stems from an insecurity in their own music tastes. He is, in fact, a closet Gwen Stefani and Green Day fan. But...what will the neighbors think?!

psycho_snake

dem said:

Maybe when you grow up you'll be able to cope with the fact that green day.. is infact.. catchy. Its fucking enjoyable. Quite looking for some sort of meaning in music because for most people its just the background noise while they goto walmart.

Your the one that should go and fuck yourself. Its a matter of opinion. I think that Greenday are shit, so what? You think that when I "grow up" I will realise that Greenday are catchy and fucking enjoyable? I dont think so. I dont like them, but that doesnt mean that I dont like mainstream.

LakeEarth

The song is good, but like many songs before it, the radio killed it. When both the soft rock stations and the hard rock stations play the song, a great song is killed by overplaying.

shuri

Banned
LOL EVERYONE KNOWS THAT OFFSPRING IS BETTER THAN GREENDAY. HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THE NEW AEROSMITH VIDEO 'AMAZING' WITH ALICIA SILVERSTONE BEING MADE IN A VIRTUAL REALITY GAME BY THIS NERD?!

THEY HAVE SEX ON A MOTOCYCLE!!!!!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
American Idiot (the album, not the song) is an impressive achievement, IMO. Very, very good.

And this is coming from someone who more or less was not a fan of Green Day for their entire career up to American Idiot.

I'm sorry but this whole topic is so... pointless. Yes hate on your friend because they have an opinion or enjoy something you don't. Wow.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Blink-182 and Green Day should never, ever be in the same sentence, unless that sentence is "Green Day is awesome, but Blink-182 needs to be pulled out into the street and shot."

Dilbert

At the risk of losing whatever "eclectic cred" that I might have accumulated, I will say this: Green Day is in that unique category of bands where I have never bought any of their albums, but have enjoyed their music on the radio throughout their career and respect them a lot. Out of all the bands which emerged during that faux "pop punk revival," they have had the most consistently impressive songwriting.

Blink-182 is completely crap by comparison, though...and you can instantly tell the difference if you've seen clips of the two bands in the live setting. Green Day rocks and sounds 95% like the recorded version...Blink-182 sound HORRIBLE. The guy working the pitch correction software for their records ought to be paid extra, in my opinion.

The other somewhat related band in the "radio respect" category is The Offspring. Is it just me, or is every single one of their songs an anthem?

psycho_snake

Kung Foo Kid said:
I'm sorry but this whole topic is so... pointless. Yes hate on your friend because they have an opinion or enjoy something you don't. Wow.
Where the fuck did I say i hate my friend you dumbass? I said that i disagreed with her thinking that Greenday are one of the best bands ever.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
-jinx- said:
The other somewhat related band in the "radio respect" category is The Offspring. Is it just me, or is every single one of their songs an anthem?
Nowadays, definitely. There was a time when they were a lot better, though...Ignition (their second album) is actually halfway decent, if not primitive.

Also, yeah, Blink 182 is a menace. I've heard that their most recent album isn't too bad, though, but I can't vouch for that.

Brofist

Instead of telling us how your friend's music tastes suck shit by your elite standards, why don't you let her borrow a Tool or Smashing Pumpkins CD...she's obviously listening to stuff that she has easy access to..introduce her to some other stuff. If she doesn't like it, then oh well ehh.

I still have <3 for Greenday after dookie. Can't relly hate them, cause they had one really great CD at some point. Any band that does that can't be written off completely IMO.

psycho_snake said:
Where the fuck did I say i hate my friend you dumbass? I said that i disagreed with her thinking that Greenday are one of the best bands ever.

It says "hate on" not actually hate. It is slang from where I am that means in the best example "to act negatively towards". Plus genius you didn't disagree from what you wrote, you basically attacked their views. Did your friend liking Green Day have some great effect on your life.

I then said that this was the most awful thing that Ive ever herad

Just let them like, what they like and you enjoy, what you enjoy to listen to.

Instead of telling us how your friend's music tastes suck shit by your elite standards, why don't you let her borrow a Tool or Smashing Pumpkins CD...she's obviously listening to stuff that she has easy access to..introduce her to some other stuff. If she doesn't like it, then oh well ehh.

Perhaps you should follow that advice.

missAran

Green Day is awesome. Compare Dookie to American Idiot and you really see how a few young guys really grew up. As a result, their music changes but remains excellent. I like Green Day a lot, they really opened the path for a lot of other great bands.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm kind of like jinx on this matter, although to a lesser extent. I've never owned a Greenday album or really followed them, but for years I've always thought they stood out as being better than average in their genre.

hXc_thugg

missAran said:
I like Green Day a lot, they really opened the path for a lot of other great bands.

Tell me some of these great bands, plz! The only thing that comes to mind is Blink 182 and others like them.

Green Day has always been a pretty good band, but I don't think they did much in the way of expanding the music scene.

Sure, make fun of other people's music tastes.

I forget. What incident was Moho1989 known for in the old forum? It was something funny, but I can't remember what it was about. I think it was in the Gaming forum.

Richiban

Green Day is a great band whose body of work has really changed and grown over the time that they've written music, however I could hardly call them the best band ever.

I can't think of one way that they've changed the face of music, other than helping revive the whole Mall Punk Genre of music.

Tamanon

Banned
American Idiot was one of the greatest ROCK albums of last year. It just flows amazingly well and is brilliantly crafted. Weaves a story and draws you in, while not being overly "artistic", still has some great Anthems going on:)

Soybean

American Idiot is IMHO Green Day's greatest album ever. My friends made fun of me for going to a Green Day concert in October ("I would go... if it were 1996!") but who's laughing now? Now I can't get tickets to another concert they're doing in the area. They played most of the album at the other concert I went to, but I'm hearing they're playing the entire album at concerts now. I would like to hear that.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hammy said:
Sure, make fun of other people's music tastes.

I forget. What incident was Moho1989 known for in the old forum? It was something funny, but I can't remember what it was about. I think it was in the Gaming forum.

Behind Blue Eyes.

While I'm not a huge fan of their music anymore, I'd still jump at the chance to see Greenday live. Their live shows are always a blast.

Oh, and fuck you haters, Dammit was an awesome song.

SonnyBoy

I definately enjoyed GreenDays last album. I'm an avid hiphop fan and I rarely listen to any form of rock but I can't listen to this cd from front to back. Definately a good album imo.

miyuru

How fucking old are your friends to not even know who the Pumpkins are? :lol

It's all right to like Greenday, I love Greenday myself. I like the Pumpkins and U2 too (Tool isn't really my style). It's ok to not like these bands too...but it's ignorant to diss them when you haven't heard of them :lol

milanbaros

Member?
I agree that is f'in weird that they don't know who smashing pumpkins are but you shouldn't dislike them because they think green day are great, by most standards they are. They have a good catalogue of songs. Blink on the other hand are just a pile of crap. I would be more worried that she thinks they are even on the same level.

Richiban

B00004W52L.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom