• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Too much furry talk while I was sleeping. Can't we all just get along? Watch some ponies and enjoy life, and pester Foxix to change avatars until the avatar is actually back to Vinyl, let's do it!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ookami-kun said:
Is MLP that notable for Weird Al to notice this? :p
we're basically cartmans trapper-keeper. every troll that tries to fight us gets absorded into the whole and we become stronger.
wSnYy.jpg

it is enivitable.

G-Fex

Pandaman said:
we're basically cartmans trapper-keeper. every troll that tries to fight us gets absorded into the whole and we become stronger.
wSnYy.jpg

it is enivitable.

Weird Al must play Pinkie Pie's uncle or something.

Weird Al may be busy doing promotion for his new album, but he is known to appear on certain kids shows just because his daughter likes them.

Also Sondheim should get some credit for you know, writing the original song (in a less palatable-to-most broadway style, but still!)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
meltingparappa said:
Weird Al may be busy doing promotion for his new album, but he is known to appear on certain kids shows just because his daughter likes them.

I actually remember his appearance on the Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon. Her band had a one hit wonder song called "What's your Favorite Flavor?" and the joke was that they knew they made it big when he made a parody of it about his "Electric Shaver".
KuGsj.gif

Neki

ZealousD said:
I actually remember his appearance on the Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon. Her band had a one hit wonder song called "What's your Favorite Flavor?" and the joke was that they knew they made it big when he made a parody of it about his "Electric Shaver".
KuGsj.gif
wow, I remember this when I was a little kid, way before I knew who weird al was, rofl. I loved Sabrina. (oh god, I watched a show about a teenage girl witch, GAF will hate me. D:)

McNum

Weird Al in My Little Pony? Yes, please. Besides, he already was in Transformers Animated, so it'd even it out.

You just know Pinkie Pie is a fan.

He's done guest appearances where he's just shown up and done a normal voice. Normally it depends on the scheduling of his appearance, and if they have time to jazz up a new character's role a little to compensate.

McNum

For instance, Al did the voice of Wreck-Gar in Transformers Animated. Wreck-Gar was a little... a lot unhinged, and definitely showed signs of being designed for Al, but he didn't start singing randomly or anything like that. The biggest reference he had was when he said "I am Wreck-Gar! And I DARE to be stupid!" where "Dare to be stupid" was the song Al had made for the Generation 1 animated movie.

Foxix Von

McNum said:
For instance, Al did the voice of Wreck-Gar in Transformers Animated. Wreck-Gar was a little... a lot unhinged, and definitely showed signs of being designed for Al, but he didn't start singing randomly or anything like that. The biggest reference he had was when he said "I am Wreck-Gar! And I DARE to be stupid!" where "Dare to be stupid" was the song Al had made for the Generation 1 animated movie.

They brought Wreck-Gar back for animated? Whaaaa? I had no idea o_O

McNum

Foxix said:
They brought Wreck-Gar back for animated? Whaaaa? I had no idea o_O
Yeah, they did. I can't remember the original Wreck-Gar very well, but the Animated one was a garbage truck with a very odd personality. In his premiere he manages to both Autobot and Decepticon at once. Then decides he wants to be neither.

You can see a small selection of him here.

Transformers Animated was actually pretty good. It's up there with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic in terms of cartoon franchise revival. Those Decepticons were downright scary villains, there were several shoutouts to the original series, and we got to see this: Autobots! Rock out!

Hasbro has been good with their cartoon licenses recently, although I haven't see Transformers Prime.

DrForester said:
More Faust stuff.

2.PNG
Yay. I like the way she adds background without it being explained in the show as canon.

Usually in most shows, for some reason I'm all for the fandom deviating from the canon and setting up complex relationships between, and theories about characters which aren't ever shown on screen. With MLP, I find it annoying. I'm all for a bit of fun and some wacky fan-made adventures like the Derpy comic, and some theories about the socioeconomy are interesting, but I always appreciate word of God over all that.

I hope, for example, that the Trollestia fanon is completely destroyed by Faust >:)

Mechanical Snowman said:
I hope, for example, that the Trollestia fanon is completely destroyed by Faust >:)
Did you not watch A Bird in the Hoof?

When Season 2 comes around and Luna starts making her appearances, you know who's probably gonna be with her, riiiiiiight? Season 2 is gonna be so much fun.

Foxix Von

McNum said:
Yeah, they did. I can't remember the original Wreck-Gar very well, but the Animated one was a garbage truck with a very odd personality. In his premiere he manages to both Autobot and Decepticon at once. Then decides he wants to be neither.

You can see a small selection of him here.

Transformers Animated was actually pretty good. It's up there with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic in terms of cartoon franchise revival. Those Decepticons were downright scary villains, there were several shoutouts to the original series, and we got to see this: Autobots! Rock out!

Hasbro has been good with their cartoon licenses recently, although I haven't see Transformers Prime.

I watched a little of it when it first came out. I liked what I saw overall but it was just so radically different from what I was used to, combined with the unbelievably low production values lead me to eventually stop watching regularly. I always thought it was funny it was called "animated" considering the overall animation quality of the show lol. And the original Junkions were AWESOME : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLg2GdFVVwM&t=4m18s

God, how I love that movie <3

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Mechanical Snowman said:
Usually in most shows, for some reason I'm all for the fandom deviating from the canon and setting up complex relationships between, and theories about characters which aren't ever shown on screen. With MLP, I find it annoying. I'm all for a bit of fun and some wacky fan-made adventures like the Derpy comic, and some theories about the socioeconomy are interesting, but I always appreciate word of God over all that.
Exactly :)

2th

Banned
Dai101 said:
In case anyone is interested, the last week episode (Cutie Mark Chronicles) is uploaded on 1080p in the usual places.

watching this now. and after that i will be completely up to date. took three days but my god. i havent laughed this hard in a while at a series.

Nishastra

Banned
2lKn6m.jpg

I forgot to mention, this is going to be actually obtainable online for $10.50 (plus shipping) starting sometime next month.

I believe these are the same small ones that can be bought individually in Canada.

Actually, I'm hearing that the individual ones exist in the US now as well, so I'll have to look into that.

ZealousD

Nishastra said:
2lKn6m.jpg

I forgot to mention, this is going to be actually obtainable online for $10.50 (plus shipping) starting sometime next month.

I believe these are the same small ones that can be bought individually in Canada.

Actually, I'm hearing that the individual ones exist in the US now as well, so I'll have to look into that.

I will personally punch anybody in the gut that actually goes out and buys a MLP toy.

Unless you're buying it for your daughter, or something.

Nishastra

Banned
How exceptionally unfriendshiplike (or unmagiclike) of you :p

I bought the gift set several weeks ago and will certainly buy the small ones if I see them. I'm just sad that the only Fluttershy is a small recolored Rainbow Dash...

ZealousD

Nishastra said:
How exceptionally unfriendshiplike (or unmagiclike) of you :p

Look. I knew we were all skeptical of the show when we first heard about it. MLP was a vapid commercial juggernaut aimed squarely at selling little girls pieces of plastic and fake hair made by cheap Chinese labor. We all knew that. But this show managed to escape all of that because it's actually good.

But the toys have not changed. They are still pieces of plastic intended to be sold to little girls that are made through cheap Chinese labor. Do not be suckered into that shit.

ZealousD said:
Look. I knew we were all skeptical of the show when we first heard about it. MLP was a vapid commercial juggernaut aimed squarely at selling little girls pieces of plastic and fake hair made by cheap Chinese labor. We all knew that. But this show managed to escape all of that because it's actually good.

But the toys have not changed. They are still pieces of plastic intended to be sold to little girls that are made through cheap Chinese labor. Do not be suckered into that shit.

Awww, you're full of hate, but we still love you!

ZealousD said:

Ehh, if you had issues with the way these toys were being made, that would be a valid point.

But, you need to remember, this show is STILL just one big commercial as far as Hasbro is concerned. So, if you like the show, and want more of it, supporting it by buying the merchandise that they're trying to sell through the show definitely isn't going to hurt.

ZealousD said:
They are still pieces of plastic intended to be sold that are made through cheap Chinese labor. Do not be suckered into that shit.
As if all kinds of nerd toys and merchandise aren't exactly the same. You're only taking a stance because it's My Little Pony. Which is a shame, because I'd thought you'd have learned your lesson being a fan. I guess not.

We still love you and value your friendship regardless of your ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom