• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nishastra

Banned
ZealousD said:
Do not be suckered into that shit.
Suckered into what? They make them, I want them, and if I can find them for a decent price I'll buy them :p

Pandaman said:
no fluttershy
I assume it's because of her very long, thin hair and tail. She's not very well-suited to a small plastic toy that small children might be obtaining. They already clamp Pinkie's little front curl down to her head, but it doesn't look so bad, while it almost certainly would if they did the same to Fluttershy.

Foxix Von

Nishastra said:
le0pG.png

I've been gathering a lot of Luna/Nightmare Moon pictures lately :p

I need to start up a new pony folder on this new computer... I feel like this computer is missing something.

I haven't seen any of the individual toys available either =/ (was at walmart last night)

Once you're okay with people watching the show, what's so different about buying merchandise from this than from any other media they enjoy?

ZoddGutts

ZealousD said:
Look. I knew we were all skeptical of the show when we first heard about it. MLP was a vapid commercial juggernaut aimed squarely at selling little girls pieces of plastic and fake hair made by cheap Chinese labor. We all knew that. But this show managed to escape all of that because it's actually good.

But the toys have not changed. They are still pieces of plastic intended to be sold to little girls that are made through cheap Chinese labor. Do not be suckered into that shit.

What everypony fan must sadly endure:

le0LL.jpg

Why do the McDonald's toys look better than the retail ones?
Or alternate questions:
Why are they using the same molds as the POS Gen 1/2 MLP dolls?

Ikael

My roomate is now downloading.

I'll report back in a day or two

Remember: episdoes 1 & 2 are pretty weak, as well as "Over a barrel".

The rest are all great, but Bridle Gossip, Dragonshy, Boast Busters and the The Cutie Mark Chronicles really takes the cake.

Acerac

Banned
It's surprising to see anyone suggest a CMC episode, though personally I love them as well, if only for their song.

I think "Over a barrel" gets a lot of unfair flak; though I admit the plot is subpar the comedy is amazing. I still find the debate over whether or not Fluttershy is a tree to be one of the highlights of the show. Between that, the horse drawn horse drawn carriages, and Pinky's song starting a riot due to how horrid it was...

Granted, once again I know that the writing outside of the comedy suffered in that ep but it seems to be on everpony's worst ep list and I just don't understand.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
qNGTT.gif

over the barrel was pretty good with the mane cast scenes, but i couldn't muster any give a damn for the buffalo/wild west ponies.

Nishastra

Banned
Acerac said:
It's surprising to see anyone suggest a CMC episode, though personally I love them as well, if only for their song.

I think "Over a barrel" gets a lot of unfair flak; though I admit the plot is subpar the comedy is amazing. I still find the debate over whether or not Fluttershy is a tree to be one of the highlights of the show. Between that, the horse drawn horse drawn carriages, and Pinky's song starting a riot due to how horrid it was...

Granted, once again I know that the writing outside of the comedy suffered in that ep but it seems to be on everpony's worst ep list and I just don't understand.
I still like it!

I just don't feel the need to argue with those who don't :p

Also, no matter how they may feel about the CMC, I haven't seen anyone who didn't like episode 23.

So says Mr. Stewart.

Acerac

Banned
Applejack's cousin was pretty funny I thought, though I agree with disliking everybody else used as support characters.

Personally I can't stand to watch the Gilda episode. Her character annoys me.

*edit for Nish*

Glad to know I'm not alone. Staremaster uses the CMC as main characters and people love it too, though that is probably saying more about Fluttershy than anything else.

Acerac

Banned
Nishastra said:
I think that's intentional! :p
I'm sure it is! That being said I love the Trixie episode and I think she had the same intentionally grating design going for her. I don't know what it is about Gilda that especially irks me. ;)

Acerac said:
I'm sure it is! That being said I love the Trixie episode and I think she had the same intentionally grating design going for her. I don't know what it is about Gilda that especially irks me. ;)

She made Fluttershy cry.

Nishastra

Banned
Acerac said:
Glad to know I'm not alone. Staremaster uses the CMC as main characters and people love it too, though that is probably saying more about Fluttershy than anything else.
Also, Stare Master includes a chicken named "Elizabeak". How can you beat that?

Neki

ZealousD said:
Look. I knew we were all skeptical of the show when we first heard about it. MLP was a vapid commercial juggernaut aimed squarely at selling little girls pieces of plastic and fake hair made by cheap Chinese labor. We all knew that. But this show managed to escape all of that because it's actually good.

But the toys have not changed. They are still pieces of plastic intended to be sold to little girls that are made through cheap Chinese labor. Do not be suckered into that shit.
simmer down there, how is this any different from me buying those pieces of plastic crap known as Marvel action figures? :p Or those stupid hot rods, so bad.

Acerac

Banned
Pretty sure Cad has you there.

Also, I missed the toy discussion but what is the problem with buying pony toys compared to buying any toy from a series that one might be a fan of? Granted I haven't bought any myself (though I did get my RBD t-shirt in the mail today) but for example I'd not think anyone who had a little Yoshi figure in their room was some sort of freak. Dunno Super Mario might be more mature than ponies or something.

Acerac said:

Also, I missed the toy discussion but what is the problem with buying pony toys compared to buying any toy from a series that one might be a fan of? Granted I haven't bought any myself (though I did get my RBD t-shirt in the mail today) but for example I'd not think anyone who had a little Yoshi figure in their room was some sort of freak. Dunno Super Mario might be more mature than ponies or something.

Because the Mario toys look nice.
The MLP toys are ugly as sin.
This isn't even about "maturity" or something.
It's about Hasbro insulting kids by releasing such low quality crap.

Chuck

Still without luck
Acerac said:

Also,...(though I did get my RBD t-shirt in the mail today)...

O_O What Rainbow Dash shirt? Also, this toy discussion made me wonder,
how big would a life-size statue of Rainbow Dash be?

Acerac

Banned
AceBandage said:
Because the Mario toys look nice.
The MLP toys are ugly as sin.
This isn't even about "maturity" or something.
It's about Hasbro insulting kids by releasing such low quality crap.
Well obviously you don't buy the crappy looking toys. However the toys being discussed seem on model and true to the show. There is a flagrant lack of Fluttershy in the package but other than that it seems to be perfectly representative of the series.

I can respect the fact that you think a fat italian plumber looks nice while ponies look ugly as sin. Is it too much to ask for the same respect from you, even if you disagree? Personally I am more of a Luigi person. ;)

The shirt I ordered. The wait was driving me crazy, I'm so happy it finally got in. I love how well it represents the show without going overly cutesy and in to stuff that I'd not actually ever wear.

Chuck

Still without luck
Acerac said:
The shirt I ordered. The wait was driving me crazy, I'm so happy it finally got in. I love how well it represents the show without going overly cutesy and in to stuff that I'd not actually ever wear.

Purchased! I also agree with the remark, but Bufbaf's custom RBD shirt is awesome too.

Acerac

Banned
Which one is that? I remember seeing some hoodies a while back but you're probably referring to something else since I don't think they're being made yet.

Acerac

Banned
Oh yeah! I love the picture of her chilling on the back. Wasn't that one custom made though? I don't think Hasbro realizes the potential shirt sales they're missing out on.

I like how I just finish mentioning that I likely won't buy any of the figures then immediately go in to discussions of other merchandise that I can get. I suppose the same rule applies though, if it isn't poorly made and is something I'd like to have, I'll consider it. Hasbro doesn't seem very good at providing these things, unfortunately.

Chuck

Still without luck
Yeah, he said it was custom made by a local print shop.

Hopefully Hasbro will realize how much money they would make with MLP FiM clothing and other merchandise. They could just sell the rights off, sit back and watch the money roll in,
probably from Hot Topic.

jogarrr

Acerac said:
Personally I can't stand to watch the Gilda episode. Her character annoys me.

That's definitely among my favorite episodes. Pinky is at her best and Gilda gets what she deserves anyways.

Acerac said:
That being said I love the Trixie episode

And this is one of my least favorite episodes. Not because of Trixie or anything, it's just one of the least humorous episodes. (except for mustache Spike, of course)

Whogie

Maybe I should give it another watch, but the only episode I disliked was "Feeling Pinkie Keen" 'cause the overarching moral made the episode awkward.

Foxix Von

ChuckNoLuck said:
Yeah, he said it was custom made by a local print shop.

Hopefully Hasbro will realize how much money they would make with MLP FiM clothing and other merchandise. They could just sell the rights off, sit back and watch the money roll in,
probably from Hot Topic.

There are also these: http://shirtbrony.spreadshirt.com/ (which is also doubling as a charity)

There were also some shoes available a while back, but I guess they got shut down for copyright infringement... of doctor who =/

Acerac

Banned
jogarrr said:
That's definitely among my favorite episodes. Pinky is at her best and Gilda gets what she deserves anyways.

And this is one of my least favorite episodes. Not because of Trixie or anything, it's just one of the least humorous episodes. (except for mustache Spike, of course)
I've only seen the Gilda episode once, maybe I should give it another shot.

The main reason I like the Trixie episode is because of that horribly sad fanart. Yay for fanon!

Whogie said:
Maybe I should give it another watch, but the only episode I disliked was "Feeling Pinkie Keen" 'cause the overarching moral made the episode awkward.

That episode is my favorite because of the slapstick humour. It's done with the same level of quality as the rest of the animation, but it comes out of left field so much that it had surprised me. I also really enjoyed the comedy in Over The Barrel as well, so it stands out as a good episode, even if some of the non-comedy parts are weak.

A friend asked me to recommend an episode and I chose Feeling Pinkie Keen because I think he'll enjoy the animation, but it was a tough choice. I jokingly said watch the whole season and then decide, but now that I think of it, that's not terrible advice. The show really gets stronger the more characterization you're exposed to.

If I get a chance I'll link him to the OP in this thread, because it has pretty good recommendations.

Cheerilee

McNum said:
For instance, Al did the voice of Wreck-Gar in Transformers Animated. Wreck-Gar was a little... a lot unhinged, and definitely showed signs of being designed for Al, but he didn't start singing randomly or anything like that. The biggest reference he had was when he said "I am Wreck-Gar! And I DARE to be stupid!" where "Dare to be stupid" was the song Al had made for the Generation 1 animated movie.
Just an FYI nitpick, but Dare to be Stupid wasn't made for Transformers the Movie. It was a less direct than usual parody of the band "Devo" and their one-hit "Whip It". It was the only song on the soundtrack which wasn't made for Transformers.

Hasbro had hired Scotti Bros to produce the soundtrack for the movie, and after it was well underway, some marketing guy decided that all movies must have one signature song in them, produced by a famous person, and Transformers the Movie needed to have one of those. Scotti Bros wasn't really in the position to provide that, but at the time they happened to have the rights to Weird Al's catalog, so they were able to get one of his songs.

To quote Weird Al:
"The Transformers soundtrack came out on Scotti Bros., so oddly enough, there were a bunch of Scotti Bros. artists on there. I think I probably got a phone call saying, "Hey, we're gonna use one of your songs in this movie, if that's okay with you," and I probably said, "Sure, why not - hey, how did you get this number?"

Darte

Yea first thing I noticed at that particular scene heh

Shrugged it off as an animation error. Hope they fix that for the eventual dvd/Bray release!

Darte said:
Yea first thing I noticed at that particular scene heh

Shrugged it off as an animation error. Hope they fix that for the eventual dvd/Bray release!

Has Studio B/Hasbro indicated that there's going to be a box-set?

Last I heard, there were no plans. :(

Pein

Banned
I watched the first 3 episodes and I definitely like the show don't understand the super popularity yet though. I am only 3 eps in so that could change and so far pinkie pie is the best pony, I also like flutter shy.

Ikael

I watched the first 3 episodes and I definitely like the show don't understand the super popularity yet though. I am only 3 eps in so that could change and so far pinkie pie is the best pony, I also like flutter shy.

Well, you have watched 2 weak eps + 1 alright one, so it is logical that you would feel that way.

And everyone loves Fluttershy. Best character ever, and one of the best character arcs too :D if you liked her, try "Dragonshy" or "Green isn't your colour". Oh, and if you like both Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, "Griffon the brush off" is a must!

Ooo, are we talking about favorite episodes? Most of mine utilize the entire cast of mane characters. "Dragonshy", "Sonic Rainboom", "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", "Bridle Gossip", "Swarm of the Century", "The Ticket Master" and even episodes 1 and 2 because I feel they get better when you're familiar with the characters.

Worst episode? In my opinion, probably "Over a Barrel". Serious lack of Big Mac, RBD's quick and total turn around of her stance on the situation (it just didn't seem consistent and actually confused me at first), and Pinkie's below average song (though it's now quite funny how bad it is). With that being said, I still enjoyed the episode. I just think it's at the bottom of the barrel. The comedy was great just like in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" but the general execution was just okay.

I like "Griffon the Brush Off" because of how Gilda gets what she deserves and how she brought it on herself. I really wanted Pinkie to get in Gilda's face after she made Fluttershy cry. Actually, I wanted Pinkie to rip Gilda's face clean off but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

Neki

Confused101 said:
Ooo, are we talking about favorite episodes? Most of mine utilize the entire cast of mane characters. "Dragonshy", "Sonic Rainboom", "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", "Bridle Gossip", "Swarm of the Century", "The Ticket Master" and even episodes 1 and 2 because I feel they get better when you're familiar with the characters.

Worst episode? In my opinion, probably "Over a Barrel". Serious lack of Big Mac, RBD's quick and total turn around of her stance on the situation (it just didn't seem consistent and actually confused me at first), and Pinkie's below average song (though it's now quite funny how bad it is). With that being said, I still enjoyed the episode. I just think it's at the bottom of the barrel. The comedy was great just like in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" but the general execution was just okay.

I like "Griffon the Brush Off" because of how Gilda gets what she deserves and how she brought it on herself. I really wanted Pinkie to get in Gilda's face after she made Fluttershy cry. Actually, I wanted Pinkie to rip Gilda's face clean off but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

you gotta carrrrrrrrrrrrre you gotta sharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

Pein said:

It took me about 5-6 episodes for the novelty of watching a show for girls to pass off and for me to start genuinely enjoying the show. With the exception of some of the CMC stuff, it seems that the show definitely gets better as it progresses.

Confused101 said:
Ooo, are we talking about favorite episodes? Most of mine utilize the entire cast of mane characters. "Dragonshy", "Sonic Rainboom", "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", "Bridle Gossip", "Swarm of the Century", "The Ticket Master" and even episodes 1 and 2 because I feel they get better when you're familiar with the characters
This is a really strong list. I went back and watched the pilots and "Sonic Rainboom" recently and really enjoyed them. I thought I wouldn't enjoy the latter as much because I don't have a strong affinity for Rainbow Dash, but it actually showcases all the ponies pretty well.

Confused101 said:
Pinkie's below average song (though it's now quite funny how bad it is).
All your complaints are totally valid, but that literally is the joke there.

Also, I think that Rainbow Dash siding with the buffalo is more mature than I'd expect out of her. It made me like her character more. It's important to note that she goes from wanting to get revenge for being tricked to siding with the buffalo. Once she gets the apology and realizes that Pinkie and Spike are safe there's no reason for her not to side with them. She never actually supported the Appleloosans in the first place, so I don't consider it a flip flop, er clip clop.

This is just me projecting, but I feel that RB would understand the buffalo plight more than anyone. She could easily make a connection between their running and her flying. If anyone tried to take that away from her, you can bet she'd fight just as hard. If they had a sequence of her picturing crashing because someone filled the sky with apple trees, there would be no confusion at all. Except for the confusion of how those trees got in the sky.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
CMC have grown on me. I just hope the plan is for them to get their cutie marks and don't become (pardon the pun) one trick ponies.

The CMC are alright, but Sweetie Bell (Belle?)'s voice isn't great. The voice acting is so solid for most of the characters that it's really hard to ignore the few voices that fall a bit short.

jogarrr

I actually like the CMC (except for maybe Scoot :p ). I don't really think they deserve all the hate they get (except for maybe Scoot :p ).

I understand the argument that they take away from the mane cast and I definitely would have liked another Apple Jack episode this season, but they've only really starred in four episodes (including Call of the Cutie) which I feel is fine for a 26 episode season.

There are only six 'star' ponies so I think a side episode of the CMC every once in a while is a good thing. Getting two CMC episodes back-to-back in eps 17 and 18 was kind of annoying though.

Also, anyone else notice the CMC together in episode 1?
7CPzBm.png

---
I also liked 'Over the Barrel'. The train scene at the beginning is one of the greatest scenes in the entire series, and it's nice to get to see the world of Equestria outside of Ponyville. I hope to see more non-Ponyville settings in the future.

I do agree that in a chain of great episodes 'Over the Barrel' is the weakest link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom