• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Fex said:
Please shut down the Victorious thread.
But then you'd have nothing to do.

72c503.jpg

meltingparappa said:
The thread title still drives me insane every time I see it though.
Check it now :)

Amir0x said:
i just giggle at the thought of a show for preschoolers being earnestly discussed by grown adults and avatars worn as badge of honors, but it's certainly nothing worth much of my time :p

Well, based on what I see throughout GAF, I'm not sure grown men would be the only ones here. :p

Amir0x

Banned
VGChampion said:
Well, based on what I see throughout GAF, I'm not sure grown men would be the only ones here. :p

well, should be 13 years and older, though I get your implication. Even 13 years old is prooobably too old for this shiznizzle.

Yup, I said shiznizzle. Wanna fight about it?

G-Fex

Amir0x said:
well, should be 13 years and older, though I get your implication. Even 13 years old is prooobably too old for this shiznizzle.

Yup, I said shiznizzle. Wanna fight about it?

*gasp* You hipster!

Koomaster

Amir0x said:
no it was someone earnestly complaining (again) about people speaking negative things about Pony in this thread, and how they shouldn't be allowed to be negative in a thread about so innocent a show. A few GAFers are REALLY fans of this Pony show!

i just giggle at the thought of a show for preschoolers being earnestly discussed by grown adults and avatars worn as badge of honors, but it's certainly nothing worth much of my time :p
I think it's just the constant harassment, like some posters refuse to leave the thread be and let people enjoy their ponies. But whatever really, everyone is free to their opinions and if they want to spend their time trolling, can't really stop them.

I personally am glad to have a place to discuss the show with other fans; it's easy to ignore the rest. ^____^

edit: Oh thread title change. Thank you Amir0x (or whoever else did it).

G-Fex

I've never seen a fanbase grow so fast, you guys have the drawings and memes at ready and gifs. It's impressive.

But a big case of oversaturation, complete thread saturation.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the first episode.

Positives about the show
- Presents concepts like virtues and friendships as pure, honest things. Not enough of that comes through in a lot of the cynical kids shows on TV nowadays. Hell, it comes as no surprise to me when I hear some of the negative, sarcastic and bitter things my sister spouts sometimes after watching some of the crap she watches for 3+ hours a day.
- Has a distinct animation style with a lot of interesting influences in a world of shitty generic Family-Guy inspired static animation.
- Has a coherent plot (at least in the first episode) that at least can hold the attention of kids and yet is still complex enough for adults to give a damn. It's a fun show that adults and kids can watch together and even talk about together.

These attributes, however, does not a good adult show make. I'd watch this shit with my 6 year old if I had one, but since I don't, I can just stand by and be glad that someone out there is trying to raise the bar on children's television.

MLP GAF: I think at last we understand each other. You don't have my blessing, but I don't think this thread is half as creepy as I did before. Just know that I will not go about and spread the gospel, nor will I ever darken your doorways again. Be at peace.

Koomaster

Amibguous Cad said:
http://i.imgur.com/NEYzz.png

The trolls come in waves. There's a cycle at play, determined by some unknown variables. It must be studied. To the lab!
Man, why am I getting Repo the Genetic Opera crossed with MLP vibes?

Not too fond of the name change as I do find this golden, but it's accurate I guess. Needs a catchy title and a lOTl and we'll be set

ahoyhoy said:
MLP GAF: I think at last we understand each other. You don't have my blessing, but I don't think this thread is half as creepy as I did before. Just know that I will not go about and spread the gospel, nor will I ever darken your doorways again. Be at peace.

Yay, a better result than nothing!

LowParry

We all know with Am's presence felt here as a GAF mod, he's secretly watching.

Anywho, the show's good on the family. Though we just recently went on a small splurg of animated movie blu ray purchases.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Flying_Phoenix said:
This show is the shit. That pink pony is hilarious.

If this goes on, in 5 years time, you know who cartoon fans will be thinking of when they hear the word "Pinkie"?

It probably won't be a mouse.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amir0x said:
Oh I'm serious. Earlier in the week I got PMed to the thread, and then again now :p

Said it before, but I believe only one thing could stop this thread.

carebearstare.jpg

Or have this guy show up in pony world...

ecf9f129d7a4636a6f5eb5b.gif

Foxix Von

DrForester said:
Said it before, but I believe only one thing could stop this thread.

http://stephaniebe.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/carebearstare.jpg
Or have this guy show up in pony world...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2961/ecf9f129d7a4636a6f5eb5b.gif

My Little Pony: Friendship is Puella Magi

Why do I have a feeling Fluttershy would be Mami? :(

ivedoneyourmom said:
Thanks Foxix, proud to be a brony.
No problemo!

I'm actually starting to worry that I didn't make enough o_O

Did not anticipate that happening.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ahoyhoy said:
These attributes, however, does not a good adult show make.

Well, I don't think anyone here is arguing that this be considered an "adult" show. It is just a kid's show that adults are able to enjoy. The fact that it has some legitimately endearing characters with interesting traits and interactions probably goes a long way into explaining its growing popularity.

We're just glad that you "get" it. Go in peace.

Regulus Tera said:
That said Pony-GAF is not doin anything in favor of their cause.

What would you suggest?

DrForester said:
Anxiously awaiting photoshop.

Please do it someone!

Don't do it! We don't need the cupcakes nightmare fuel!

Meanwhile, fanart!

My Little Marvel: Comics are Magic
Nightmare Moon

And finally...

Proof that, as little free time as I may have, it's still way too much.

Foxix Von

Ookami-kun said:
How many people changed their avatars anyway?
Also yay next ep has no Crusaders!

By my count, at least 25 have taken part in the revolution. And that's only counting people using the ones I cropped, not people who made their own.

Myke Greywolf said:

Dude, awesome Ulala! Fantastic work man!

*right click saves*

KtSlime

Suairyu said:
On the one hand, I'd love a pony avatar, on the other hand, Chinner would leave me.

Hopefully some duck action will be happening in later episodes.

Around 13:20 in episode 5 might do the trick:

287fz35.png

Not sure if you need a white duck or not.

DrForester: Cold blooded.

Myke Greywolf said:
If this goes on, in 5 years time, you know who cartoon fans will be thinking of when they hear the word "Pinkie"?

It probably won't be a mouse.

Don't remind me of that horrendously crappy show.

It was King of the Hill for kid cartoons.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Flying_Phoenix said:
Don't remind me of that Fantastic crappy show.

Fixed to express how amazing both King of the Hill and Pinky and the Brain were.

ahoyhoy said:
Just watched the first episode.
Positives about the show
- Presents concepts like virtues and friendships as pure, honest things. Not enough of that comes through in a lot of the cynical kids shows on TV nowadays. Hell, it comes as no surprise to me when I hear some of the negative, sarcastic and bitter things my sister spouts sometimes after watching some of the crap she watches for 3+ hours a day.
- Has a distinct animation style with a lot of interesting influences in a world of shitty generic Family-Guy inspired static animation.
- Has a coherent plot (at least in the first episode) that at least can hold the attention of kids and yet is still complex enough for adults to give a damn. It's a fun show that adults and kids can watch together and even talk about together.
These attributes, however, does not a good adult show make. I'd watch this shit with my 6 year old if I had one, but since I don't, I can just stand by and be glad that someone out there is trying to raise the bar on children's television.

Seriously GAF, if you're not going to listen to us, listen to THIS guy. He GETS it. I hate when something meaningful like this gets posted only for more to people to post "People LIKING a MLP series? HURR DURR" I mean would it KILL you to do a little reading before posting?

I just don't see why simply enjoying a show can be so complicated. Yeah there are THOSE types of fans out there, but it's like comparing a regular Anime fan to a Weaboo. And all the Furry talk, really? Since when did liking anything with Anthropomorphic characters automatically make us furries? By that same logic, enjoying Looney Tunes or or Tom and Jerry makes you a Furry. Ugh.

Talking about it with my sister right now, we just love the whole aesthetic of the show. The fact that it's unique amongst the current TV offerings. Yeah the whole fandom with Derpy Hooves and Bronies gives us a tickle, but we watch what we like and are liking what we're watching. Simple as that.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Don't remind me of that horrendously crappy show.

Never thought I'd see someone hate PatB. Wow... Never knew it was possible. I guess there's a rule on the internet for that kind of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom