• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So after seeing a whole bunch of pony avatars popping up, I found this thread. After a quick google search, I now have 'Winter Wrap Up' repeating in my head.

Thanks for that :p

Foxix Von

RiccochetJ said:
So after seeing a whole bunch of pony avatars popping up, I found this thread. After a quick google search, I now have 'Winter Wrap Up' repeating in my head.

Thanks for that :p

Pony-Gaf welcomes you!
tB3Ri.jpg

Have you heard the Super Ponybeat remix yet?

Mortrialus said:
I found myself chain watching a few episodes the other day and couldn't for the life of me figure out why.

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zHZj8Xp-Ik

oh god, that video keeps making the rounds and I have no idea why it's so popular. No offense intended to its creator, but that's like everything wrong with youtube condensed into a single video. What's the appeal?

(Okay, I admit I chuckled at "John Madden," but that's all!)

Amibguous Cad said:
oh god, that video keeps making the rounds and I have no idea why it's so popular. No offense intended to its creator, but that's like everything wrong with youtube condensed into a single video. What's the appeal?

(Okay, I admit I chuckled at "John Madden," but that's all!)

Its a fad. Moonbase alpha is a simulation game based on being on the moon using actual NASA equipment. So of course people use it to dick around in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo&feature=related

I just find it strange how perfectly the My Little Pony version matches.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Foxix said:
Is there supposed to be any lyrics in the remix? I just heard music.

Anyways I just watched a random episode. Is the shy one the same voice actress who voiced Bubbles? Sounds very similar.

I enjoyed Powerpuff Girls and Foster's, so it would stand to reason that this would be of the same quality where the writing etc has the ability to engage a broad spectrum of people.

Also, in the 'Winter Wrap Up' song, did... did I see ferrets?

*yay*

KtSlime

Amibguous Cad said:
IMHO, art of the dress is the best ponybeat remix.

But from the original songs from the show, WWU narrowly edges it out.

Looking forward to seeing the ponybeat remix of this week's song! (What's it called, anyway?)

Yeah, I like Art of the dress too.

I think it is the Cutie Mark Crusaders theme.

RiccochetJ said:
Is there supposed to be any lyrics in the remix? I just heard music.

Anyways I just watched a random episode. Is the shy one the same voice actress who voiced Bubbles? Sounds very similar.

I enjoyed Powerpuff Girls and Foster's, so it would stand to reason that this would be of the same quality where the writing etc has the ability to engage a broad spectrum of people.

Also, in the 'Winter Wrap Up' song, did... did I see ferrets?

*yay*

The lyrics weren't in the original remix, but someone added them back in.

And yeah, Twilight is voiced by Tara Strong, who also did Bubbles and the princess from Drawn Together, among other things.

KtSlime

MaddenNFL64 said:
:|

Anyway, I see this all over the internet, it's crazy. I know it's for laughs, but I missed the boat, I guess.

It's never too late, all the episodes are still on Youtube.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MaddenNFL64 said:

Anyway, I see this all over the internet, it's crazy. I know it's for laughs, but I missed the boat, I guess.

Show for little girls actually isn't terrible. Surprises people, especially considering it's My Little Pony. So it gets an inflated popularity amongst those who aren't in the target demographic.

Again, I can't come up with a better word than "irony". This has to be a better term for this.

Jintor

MaddenNFL64 said:

The amount of lulz this is for varies from pony to pony

ZealousD said:
Show for little girls actually isn't terrible. Surprises people, especially considering it's My Little Pony. So it gets an inflated popularity amongst those who aren't in the target demographic.

Again, I can't come up with a better word than "irony". This has to be a better term for this.

No, I think "ironic" works pretty well here. Whether we're doing it because we want to be ironic (for the lulz) or because we like the show (I'm this one) is another matter entirely, but either way the situation is very ironic.

ZealousD

The_Author's_Apprentice said:
No, I think "ironic" works pretty well here. Whether we're doing it because we want to be ironic (for the lulz) or because we like the show (I'm this one) is another matter entirely, but either way the situation is very ironic.

I don't mean to imply that it's an either/or situation. I don't think I'm saying that people liking the show are being completely disingenuous. The show is of quality, and I can certainly see people enjoying it on some level even if they aren't part of the target demographic. But the absurdity of liking MyLittlePony, on any level, gives the whole thing a different spin and makes the whole situation humorous.

If Faust instead made a different cartoon that more closely matched something like Foster's Home in terms of demographic targeting and tone, but was of similar quality, said cartoon would not be a meme.

KtSlime

ZealousD said:
I don't mean to imply that it's an either/or situation. I don't think I'm saying that people liking the show are being completely disingenuous. The show is of quality, and I can certainly see people enjoying it on some level even if they aren't part of the target demographic. But the absurdity of liking MyLittlePony, on any level, gives the whole thing a different spin and makes the whole situation humorous.

If Faust instead made a different cartoon that more closely matched something like Foster's Home in terms of demographic targeting and tone, but was of similar quality, said cartoon would not be a meme.

I think this pony gets it.

But yeah, to all those hesitant of the show, just check it out.

ZealousD

ivedoneyourmom said:
I think this pony gets it.

Don't get any ideas now. I ain't no brony. I watched three episodes and I was done. I'm just here for the GIFs and to watch this thread inevitably turn even weirder and collapse on itself.

ZealousD said:

If Faust instead made a new cartoon that more closely matched something like Foster's Home in terms of demographic targeting and tone, but was of similar quality, said cartoon would not be a meme.

You make a good point; the only reason this is such a hot topic is because it's My Little Pony. If it wasn't so ironic, people wouldn't really notice it, but it's such a goofy situation that everyone is talking about it. Oh, and I wasn't trying to imply that you were implying anything. I know you'd never accuse us of being disingenuous, I was just acknowledging that a few guys out there have jumped on the bandwagon simply because it's cool/ironic. And hey, more power to them if they want to be associated with us bronies. :D

Sibylus

Banned
Bahaha, this is the source of all the pony avatars and gifs? Haven't watched the show at all, but I love it when people take kid cartoons as an affront to their manhood or something :p. Rock on, people.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ZealousD said:

Yeah, you might have a point there, but I think it's very much of a "come for the irony, stay for everything else" situation. Although not essential, it also helps if you have some kind of nostalgia for the franchise from its 80's iteration (and a considerable amount of people might have it, judging by the fan demographics).

Amibguous Cad said:
Looking forward to seeing the ponybeat remix of this week's song! (What's it called, anyway?)
Are you sure that it is salvageable?

Regulus Tera said:
Lay it down on the fanart. It's cool only every once in a while.
That's why I only post it once in a while. Anyway, I almost never quote the pictures inline (except when I judge them to be epicly cool and able to get nearly unanimous praise or LOL's, such as that Panty & Stocking crossover one), choose only quality and/or legitimately funny pieces, and always warn that it is fanart, so you don't ever have to see them if it's not your thing.
Unlike some people who link it to "loser syndrome", I don't have anything against fan works; On the contrary. I would link to some quality pieces of fan fiction too, if I wasn't afraid of the overblown backlash from some elements.

ZealousD said:
Don't get any ideas now. I ain't no brony. I watched three episodes and I was done. I'm just here for the GIFs and to watch this thread inevitably turn even weirder and collapse on itself.
Won't happen, if it depends on me. I know it CAN get way weirder, because I've seen it elsewhere. But people here can count on me to try and simmer things down it starts boiling too violently.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The "meme" or "ironical lolz thing" or whatever that is will grow down soon, then this thread will live from its weekly push postings when a new ep comes out and the usual discussion and honest lols regarding some humorous scenes in said episode. The flames will burn down and this will be just like all those other cartoon series threads, just with so many more cool people inside who give a crap about what other people think about them!

Or something like that!

Hell, the MLP thread on Allspark features more than 150 pages and everyone there likes the shit outta the series :) I have no fear!

Rym & Scott Discuss this MLP Phenomenon on their podcast lol

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the hit new animated series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's a reboot of the My Little Pony universe produced by Studio B Productions, and it has some surprising demographics. There's also a Thundercats reboot coming involving Studio 4C, and Bone is coming in color (again)!

Rym's Thing - Anime News Nina on Family Circus
Rym's Thing - Family Circus: Once Funny?
Scott's Thing - valparaiso polc 2011 gopro HD

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20110302/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic/

Foxix Von

ThePrivateCookie said:
Just listened to it while trying to get back to sleep haha.

That was some hardcore geekery right there, lol, a good listen though and I think a good deal better than the hju podcast I listened to earlier. I hope they had notes available during the discussion, otherwise they make me feel like my memory is slipping.

ivedoneyourmom said:
As much as I like Winter Wrap Up, I'm a huge fan of Evil Enchantress

Not sure which I like more.

I've been using this as my ringtone for the past few days. So awesome.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ThePrivateCookie said:

Good listening, thanks.

The issue they point with voice acting (western vs. anime) is something that has been debated several times, and I have given it some amount of thought. In the original version of most animated shows, dialogue is recorded before animation begins production, allowing a more relaxed flow of dialogue for the voice actors (who end up "making" the characters themselves), and for the artists to animate the action to fit the dialogue, including facial expressions and mannerisms.

Of course, none of this is possible i when you dub over finished animation, and the stress on fitting your lines to the characters lip movements and the action on the screen, can allow for pretty awkward voice acting, specially in the hands of actors with little experience or who aren't invested in their characters.

This being said, the voicework in MLP:FiM is great, and contributes greatly for us to sympathize with the characters.

Question: What is your favorite non-main-6 character in the series?

I'd say Trixie. There's more than meets the eye in that pony, and I have the feeling that we'll get to see more of her, one day.

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:
Good listening, thanks.

The issue they point with voice acting (western vs. anime) is something that has been debated several times, and I have given it some amount of thought. In the original version of most animated shows, dialogue is recorded before animation begins production, allowing a more relaxed flow of dialogue for the voice actors (who end up "making" the characters themselves), and for the artists to animate the action to fit the dialogue, including facial expressions and mannerisms.

Of course, none of this is possible i when you dub over finished animation, and the stress on fitting your lines to the characters lip movements and the action on the screen, can allow for pretty awkward voice acting, specially in the hands of actors with little experience or who aren't invested in their characters.

This being said, the voicework in MLP:FiM is great, and contributes greatly for us to sympathize with the characters.

I'd say Trixie. There's more than meets the eye in that pony, and I have the feeling that we'll get to see more of her, one day.

Hmm, I hope we get to see more of Trixie as well. If I had to pick, and since Derpy doesn't really count since her only line of dialogue was "Muffins," I think I'd pick Scootleloo. I think of all the CMC's she's the least abrasive to me, plus her scooter makes me laugh along with her kung fu skills.

Also yeah, inexperienced voice talent in anime can be really bad. When the talent's good it really shows, like they're example of Lisa Ortiz. She's fantastic.

Kalnos

Banned
ZealousD said:

I got linked to some fan-fiction earlier, it can't get any more weird than that shit.

I must be missing something here. Because of this thread, I expected a kids cartoon the likes of Spongebob Squarepants. At first glance it might look silly and just for kids, but in reality it's brilliant and funny for adults as well.

After watching around 20 minutes of this MLP cartoon however...It just looks like a show aimed for little girls...only for little girls. It's probably a good show for its target public, but I'm puzzled over the apparent praise by adults and "the internet" as a whole.

Myke Greywolf said:
Are you sure that it is salvageable?

I think so. It's basically the same song SB was singing to start the episode with, or at least the tune is the same. The music itself is a serviceable if pedestrian rock ballad; it was only terribad because of the lyrics and choreography.

Myke Greywolf said:
Won't happen, if it depends on me. I know it CAN get way weirder, because I've seen it elsewhere. But people here can count on me to try and simmer things down it starts boiling too violently.

I suspect whether this thread flames out will have more to do with the trolls than with the fans. SA's got along fine until until the critical mass of trolls caused the mods to shut down the thread as more trouble than it was worth. GAF's a well-moderated community, though, and with the waiting list bans are much more effective, so it hopefully won't come to that.

Myke Greywolf said:

Fan attempts to rehabilitate Trixie and Gilda always fell flat for me. The two of them just seemed like assholes, plain and simple.

For whatever reason, even though the attempts to redeem her are similarly contrived, and even though her Heel Face Turn in the pilot was somewhat unbelievable, I loves me some rediscovering-the-joy-of-the-world Luna.

ZealousD said:

I think that's accurate, or at least, ironically, it helps with advertising. I didn't feel a huge compulsion to check out Adventure Time when everyone was going crazy over it, but when like half the people on the online communities I visited were talking about My Little Pony ferchrissakes, I had to see what the fuss was about, if only to mock them for it.

Souldriver said:
I must be missing something here. Because of this thread, I expected a kids cartoon the likes of Spongebob Squarepants. At first glance it might look silly and just for kids, but in reality it's brilliant and funny for adults as well.

After watching around 20 minutes of this MLP cartoon however...It just looks like a show aimed for little girls...only for little girls. It's probably a good show for its target public, but I'm puzzled over the apparent praise by adults and "the internet" as a whole.

Listen to the podcast I posted it should explain some of the fandom

KtSlime

Souldriver said:

It has a good wholesome message, of education, friendship, and skepticism without the baggage of pessimism and sarcasm.

It has endearing characters with distinct personalities, good voice acting, excellent plastic animation, and fun colors.

It has well written dialog, that isn't overly preachy, references many elements of adult pop culture, fantastically placed vocabulary, and rememberable tag lines that easily can become memes.

It has a clearly organized mythology that is while easy to understand, fun and interesting to learn more about.

I'm sure there are many other points that I can't come up with off the top of my head (just woke up) but while the show isn't for everyone, I don't think you have to like the show to see the appeal it can have to everyone.

ZealousD

ivedoneyourmom said:
It has a good wholesome message, of education, friendship, and skepticism without the baggage of pessimism and sarcasm.

It has endearing characters with distinct personalities, good voice acting, excellent plastic animation, and fun colors.

It has well written dialog, that isn't overly preachy, references many elements of adult pop culture, fantastically placed vocabulary, and rememberable tag lines that easily can become memes.

It has a clearly organized mythology that is while easy to understand, fun and interesting to learn more about.

I'm sure there are many other points that I can't come up with off the top of my head (just woke up) but while the show isn't for everyone, I don't think you have to like the show to see the appeal it can have to everyone.

The biggest thing that makes the show less good for adults is the "moral message" that every episode seems to contain. The narrative of each show seems driven by its moral message, and it's (usually) the kind of simple message that adults have already learned at some points in their lives. You can't please everybody all the time. You shouldn't let friendly competition get too heated and ruin a friendship. That sort of thing. And then the show ends with a pretty black and white explanation of that lesson whenever Twilight writes her message to the princess. If an adult show ever ends with an explicit "here's the moral message" kind of thing, it's usually done as satire or it's lampshaded, ala South Park.

And it's not like the moral message thing is just a small element of the show. It drives the entire narrative, and sometimes that has ramifications for the believability or flow of the episodes. Most of the ponies in "Suited for Success" had really bad and non-believable attitudes about their dresses (Fluttershy even had to do a complete 180 character break). Twilight showed a really poor representation of the scientific process and skeptical thinking in "Feelin' Pinkie Keen". And I was already sick of Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash's rivalry halfway through "Fall Weather Friends".

A cartoon with more universal appeal might make a moral message more subtly. For example, my favorite episode of Spongebob Squarepants is Sandy, Spongebob, and the Worm. If you haven't seen it already, go ahead and watch it. I'll wait.

Done? Okay. I think that episode teaches us to avoid being arrogant and to "look before you leap". But that message doesn't impede on the flow or believability of the show at all. Sandy's arrogance fits her character as a "Texas-tough" squirrel. And the show doesn't end on "I learned something today". It ends on an unexpected callback joke. I think that works much better for adult audiences.

KtSlime

I like SpongeBob too. Yeah, MLP's morals are pretty overt at times, but I think Faust does it partially as an homage to the other 80's Hasbro TV shoes such as GI Joe, MLP, He-Man which were all exactly like that in form.

Can't people like SpongeBob and MLP at the same time? Perhaps SpongeBob has a format that is more approachable to adults. Both have very different formats but to many are both enjoyable.

Besides this foal is a total nerd:

dp751c.jpg

You got to love that. :lol

Koomaster

Myke Greywolf said:
Spike has a lot of funny lines and is generally likable. Probably followed by the big red dragon; and/or the purple dragon from the 1st episode.

If we are talking only ponies tho, probably Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo is nice, but she seems more in the background than the other CMC. And I have to be honest that Apple Bloom's accent grates on me. AppleJack's is softer, but hearing a kid voice do that is just too much.

ZealousD

ivedoneyourmom said:
Yeah, MLP's morals are pretty overt at times, but I think Faust does it partially as an homage to the other 80's Hasbro TV shoes such as GI Joe, MLP, He-Man which were all exactly like that in form.

I'm not convinced. Hasbro shows weren't the only kind of shows that did that sort of thing. It's pretty common in children's television, and children haven't changed so much that the reasoning for doing it in the past wouldn't still apply today.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Can't people like SpongeBob and MLP at the same time? Perhaps SpongeBob has a format that is more approachable to adults. Both have very different formats but to many are both enjoyable.

Of course people can like both. I was simply making the point that Spongebob is the better show for adults and has more universal appeal, in large part due to the fact that it doesn't have an overt moral message in every show. Adults have outgrown the need for that sort of thing.

KtSlime

Koomaster said:
Spike has a lot of funny lines and is generally likable. Probably followed by the big red dragon; and/or the purple dragon from the 1st episode.

If we are talking only ponies tho, probably Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo is nice, but she seems more in the background than the other CMC. And I have to be honest that Apple Bloom's accent grates on me. AppleJack's is softer, but hearing a kid voice do that is just too much.

I want to see more Cheerilee, but that's cause I like pink ponies. A CMC spinoff would be kind of cool.

Trouble said:
I watch it for the plot

H2W0g.jpg

ZealousD said:
The biggest thing that makes the show less good for adults is the "moral message" that every episode seems to contain. The narrative of each show seems driven by its moral message, and it's (usually) the kind of simple message that adults have already learned at some points in their lives. You can't please everybody all the time. You shouldn't let friendly competition get too heated and ruin a friendship. That sort of thing. And then the show ends with a pretty black and white explanation of that lesson whenever Twilight writes her message to the princess. If an adult show ever ends with an explicit "here's the moral message" kind of thing, it's usually done as satire or it's lampshaded, ala South Park.

And it's not like the moral message thing is just a small element of the show. It drives the entire narrative, and sometimes that has ramifications for the believability or flow of the episodes. Most of the ponies in "Suited for Success" had really bad and non-believable attitudes about their dresses (Fluttershy even had to do a complete 180 character break). Twilight showed a really poor representation of the scientific process and skeptical thinking in "Feelin' Pinkie Keen". And I was already sick of Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash's rivalry halfway through "Fall Weather Friends".

A cartoon with more universal appeal might make a moral message more subtly. For example, my favorite episode of Spongebob Squarepants is Sandy, Spongebob, and the Worm. If you haven't seen it already, go ahead and watch it. I'll wait.

Done? Okay. I think that episode teaches us to avoid being arrogant and to "look before you leap". But that message doesn't impede on the flow or believability of the show at all. Sandy's arrogance fits her character as a "Texas-tough" squirrel. And the show doesn't end on "I learned something today". It ends on an unexpected callback joke. I think that works much better for adult audiences.

I have to disagree that the importance of the morals warps the characters. I think the reactions in Suited for Success- particularly Fluttershy's, who I can see being pretty forceful when pushed (there's a reason why tsundere is a trope), were believable. To the extent that the morals do exist in the show, they're really just a premise for getting our characters into goofy situations.

G-Fex

The designs grew on me. I ...admit the pictures amuse me (that's more than creepy thread ever did).

Is someone already using the "I can't control it" pony avatar?

ZealousD

Amibguous Cad said:
I have to disagree that the importance of the morals warps the characters. I think the reactions in Suited for Success- particularly Fluttershy's, who I can see being pretty forceful when pushed (there's a reason why tsundere is a trope), were believable.

I feel like I'm being sucked into a conversation that's getting more ridiculous by the minute.

I don't think that all five ponies unanimously agreeing that their dresses weren't up to snuff was at all believable. I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom