• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys being ironic? Even if you are, you're still spending a half hour of your week watching this stuff, when there are so many good TV shows, movies and books out there. No adult should be capable of being entertained by this show for any length of time. The existence of this thread is really quite disturbing.

Jenga

Banned
Trent Strong said:
Are you guys being ironic? Even if you are, you're still spending a half hour of your week watching this stuff, when there are so many good TV shows, movies and books out there. No adult should be capable of being entertained by this show for any length of time. The existence of this thread is really quite disturbing.
MLP fans are the ultimate hipsters

Jenga

Banned
you know, I can only imagine how the kids who watch this show with their parents will feel in about a decade

it'd be like watching sonic the hedgehog or pokemon as a kid with my dad, then finding out a decade later he would write sonic fanfiction, pick apart sonic cartoon episodes and masturbate to the pink hedgehog

SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREEEEEEN

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Trent Strong said:

I would tell you that I am sure that every single second of your free time is dedicated to appreciating the very best in culture and the fine arts, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to reconcile that thought with the fact that you just wasted your time posting in this thread.

Furret

Banned
Trent Strong said:

Jenga is just a witless troll but this post is hugely disturbing to me.

Your desire to ensure people's interests are organised solely according to societal norms (primarily age and gender, I'd assume from your POV) is pure fascism.

Do you have any any other tips for how we should live our lives or what is acceptable to like or dislike?

Mind you I only started watching the show because of how unpleasant the anti-Pony brigade came across in this thread, so from my point of view at least I guess posts like yours are useful.

Trent Strong said:
why waste our time playing the god awful stories in videogames if there is so many great televisions shows around.

Jenga

Banned
Furret said:
Jenga is just a witless troll but this post is hugely disturbing to me.

Your desire to ensure people's interests are organised solely according to societal norms (primarily age and gender, I'd assume from your POV) is pure fascism.

Do you have any any other tips for how we should live our lives or what is acceptable to like or dislike?

Mind you I only started watching the show because of how unpleasant the anti-Pony brigade came across in this thread, so from my point of view at least I guess posts like yours are useful.
I guess I wasn't far-off in claiming MLP fans have furry-like persecution complexes

DarkKyo

Myke Greywolf said:
I would tell you that I am sure that every single second of your free time is dedicated to appreciating the very best in culture and the fine arts, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to reconcile that thought with the fact that you just wasted your time posting in this thread.
Dude.. you're a grown man.... watching my little pony.

Koomaster

Man, this particular page is filled with trolls. Wha happen? ~____~
Help me out Pinkie Pie!

LLwuI.gif
~ I'm on it!

When I was a little filly
And the haters were coming round
Their comments and their trolling
They would always make me frown

I'd close my browser window
So I wouldn't read what they said
But Granny Pie said that wasn't the way
To deal with bullies at all

She said, "Pinkie, you've gotta stand up tall
Learn to face your fears
You'll see that they can't hurt you
Just laugh and you'll make them disappear."

Ha, ha, ha!

So tee-hee at the trollies
Beam up at the bullies,
LOL at the losers
Joke it up with the jokers,
Haha at the hating
Guffaw at the griefing

And tell that big dumb hater face to take a hike and leave you alone and if he thinks he can troll you then he's got another thing coming and the very idea of such a thing just make you wanna . . . hahahaha . . . laugh!

pinkiehicB3GWV.gif
EJsNb.gif
3zqXp.gif

Jenga

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I also play pokeymanz!!
but those are series with gameplay that transcend most taste discriminations

now, an accurate comparison would be that you still watch the pokemon anime or watch the kirby anime

which is fucking lame rofl :lol

Koomaster said:
Help me out Pinkie Pie!

LLwuI.gif
~ I'm on it!
jesus h christ

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jenga said:
but those are series with gameplay that transcend most taste discriminations

now, an accurate comparison would be that you still watch the pokemon anime or watch the kirby anime

which is fucking lame rofl :lol

jesus h christ
I actually watch the animu for shitz and giggles. When it's bad it's awful, but when it's good it reminds me of a badarse Dragon Ball fight.

tiff

Banned
I'm all for watching what you enjoy watching and all but writing poems or songs or whatever is crossing the line.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Gentlemen!

Aren't we all capable of objectively pointing out and politely discuss the appeal and merits of assorted entertainment items pertaining to franchises aimed at 8 year old children, like civilized people do?

I'd very much like to think that we are!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Myke Greywolf said:
Gentlemen!

Aren't we all capable of objectively pointing out and politely discuss the appeal and merits of assorted entertainment items pertaining to franchises aimed at 8 year old children, like civilized people do?

I'd very much like to think that we are!
You mean 6 year old *girls*.

Don't feed the trolls guys. I know I did just that a couple pages back but it really doesn't do anything. Just let them get their opinions off their chests and move on. No reason to get the thread locked because it devolved into a fan vs troll death match. So... back on topic.

Amibguous Cad said:
I don't have the screencap (you can look on fyre-flye's DeviantArt if you want), but I know Faust later on in that conversation said that there is some sort of connection between Dash and Scoot... they're just not related by blood. Fingers crossed this has something to do with the Junior Speedsters!
That makes a bit more sense considering Dash was standing with the others at the end of the talent show. I bet Dash is to Scootaloo what the Wonderbolts are to Dash. Or Dash is Scoot's mentor. They have very similar personalities.

Vagabundo

I've become a fan of Into the Night Garden since my little Niece introduced me to it.

It has some wacky tobaccy stuff in it. Very soothing.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Vagabundo said:
I've become a fan of Into the Night Garden since my little Niece introduced me to it.

It has some wacky tobaccy stuff in it. Very soothing.
Night Garden is produced by Ragdoll, yes? I'd be pretty into Rosie & Jim if they resurrected it. Good times...

Foxix Von

Koomaster said:
Help me out Pinkie Pie!
LLwuI.gif

~ I'm on it!

*slow clap* You have successfully made me read that in Pinkie's voice. And no I Am Now, he just changed the words around. Those are altered lyrics to Pinkie's song in episode two.

Choppasmith said:
Speaking of which, this "PMV" is pretty awesome. Syncs up incredibly well too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQ_d78feMA

OMG YES! I saw that posted on another forum and wow at the editing. I couldn't begin to imagine how tricky it must have been to get it that *right* also LOL at the fact that Rainbow Dash is the one synced with I Kissed a Girl.

Confused101 said:
Don't feed the trolls guys. I know I did just that a couple pages back but it really doesn't do anything. Just let them get their opinions off their chests and move on. No reason to get the thread locked because it devolved into a fan vs troll death match. So... back on topic.
That makes a bit more sense considering Dash was standing with the others at the end of the talent show. I bet Dash is to Scootaloo what the Wonderbolts are to Dash. Or Dash is Scoot's mentor. They have very similar personalities.

I remember reading that post denying there relationship and then having sort of a WTF moment at the end of that episode with her waiting with Rarity and Applejack. That makes sense now! I like the idea of her idolizing her more than ANOTHER CMC main cast family relationship. Besides like Lauren posted Dash would probably treat her like absolute crap anyway haha.

I think that could make for a really good episode though. Dash, to me at least, is at her best as a character when she sort of gets on others nerves in all her cocky glory. Seeing an episode maybe dedicated to her trying to show off and taking Scoot under her wing could be pretty great. Since it's implied that Scoot can't really fly it could just be an episode dedicated to her being taught how by Dash or something. Either way the potential for hilarity is there.

If you really want hilarity, have Scoot get blown off by Dash and then have Pinkie and the rest of the cast try to get her to fly.

Dash: "No time, kid! Gotta practice!"
Pinkie: "This is how I do it!" *jumps in flying machine*
Twilight: *levitates Scootaloo* "There. You're flying."
Rarity: *sews a parachute*
AJ: *bucks Scootaloo over the apple trees* (Big Mac: "Eyup.")
Fluttershy: "Um... I don't know."

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Choppasmith said:
Speaking of which, this "PMV" is pretty awesome. Syncs up incredibly well too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQ_d78feMA
Not that new, I had seen it some weeks ago, but thanks a lot for sharing it. It's really well made, and as far as *MV's go, I find it more entertaining than 99% of what I've seen.

Choppasmith said:
Oh and here's something interesting. Don't think it was posted here yet, it's a little chart showing an "evolution" of the character design. The ponies' G1 and original animation designs, Lauren Faust's original sketches and their final designs.

http://i.imgur.com/TdsgH.jpg
Yeah, the G1-based Lauren Faust sketches were something she had in her Deviantart gallery before she started producing the show, and it's likely that they had a part in her getting this job. Unfortunately, she had to remove them from public view once she started the project, but I'm glad they were saved - it's really interesting to see what influenced what.

Einbroch

Banned
This is just weird, guys. I don't mean to judge, but sometimes you guys just post some bizarre crap.

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying a show like this, but this fanaticism is just odd.

Foxix Von

Einbroch said:
This is just weird, guys. I don't mean to judge, but sometimes you guys just post some bizarre crap.

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying a show like this, but this fanaticism is just odd.

Where did we lose you?

It was somewhere between the fanart and the
AMAZING
Derpy cosplay wasn't it?

Einbroch

Banned
Foxix said:
Where did we lose you?

It was somewhere between the fanart and the
AMAZING
Derpy cosplay wasn't it?
It's just the crazy love. So much obsession and passion it's just off-putting.

Einbroch

Banned
mj1108 said:
Have you tried watching it? It sounds like you haven't....yet.
I don't want to. I'm sure it's a good show, but it's fans make me not want to watch it.

It's like seeing people at anime conventions. You see them dressed up and acting like their favorite characters (aka acting very strange to someone not-in-the-know) and it makes you not want to have anything to do with anime.

Fair? Maybe not. But it's how it is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Einbroch said:
It's like seeing people at anime conventions. You see them dressed up and acting like their favorite characters (aka acting very strange to someone not-in-the-know) and it makes you not want to have anything to do with anime.
Yeah, I get the same feeling on forums at times. I see all these anime avatars and I am like, holy shit people pick that shit to represent themselves to total strangers? So embarassing. It makes me steer clear of anime.

K.Sabot

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I get the same feeling on forums at times. I see all these anime avatars and I am like, holy shit people pick that shit to represent themselves to total strangers? So embarassing. It makes me steer clear of anime.
mustnotavatarquote

But, yes. I can understand the sentiment.

Einbroch said:
I don't want to. I'm sure it's a good show, but it's fans make me not want to watch it.

How does that work for someone on the internet? Do you selectively choose to ignore what most internet users do, so you're not weirded out by it and can still use the internet? If a fandom's actions can make you not want to be involved with a show, I would think the random users of the internet would make you not want anything to do with it. I guess that could be oversimplifying things, but that stance has always seemed strange to me.

LowParry

Einbroch said:

Have you seen the K-On fanaticism here on GAF?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Einbroch said:

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I'm totally aware that any community will always get evaluated according to their worst elements, specially when it gets to reach a certain level of visibility. There are some weirdos in this fandom, no doubt, as there are almost everywhere. But hey, we're all weirdos to someone according to some standard or other, so, as long as people aren't getting hurt, the best thing to try to do is to raise ourselves above that kind of thinking, don't you think?

Anyway, I really like the show, and it's great to have a place here to discuss it and share stuff with a small but enthusiastic group, and I've yet to see something disturbing posted here (I'm almost sure it won't, since most people here are well aware of GAF's style, mindset and standards - don't be angry at us if we try to push them along a little for our own ends and means, as almost every other fandom OT does). I'm not going to get dissuaded by trolls, so I hope we can all get along.

MLP-GAF's current enthusiasm is just a consequence of the fandom's late blossoming in this forum, and wanting to make up for lost time. Things will simmer down soon, and maybe you'll be willing to give it a try then. :)

Einbroch

Banned
Master Milk said:
How does that work for someone on the internet? Do you selectively choose to ignore what most internet users do, so you're not weirded out by it and can still use the internet? If a fandom's actions can make you not want to be involved with a show, I would think the random users of the internet would make you not want anything to do with it. I guess that could be oversimplifying things, but that stance has always seemed strange to me.

Of course I can ignore it, but that doesn't mean I should. This show is aimed at young girls. Does this mean that only that group is allowed to enjoy it? Absolutely not! I'm 90% sure that if I were to watch this show that I, a 24 year old male, would probably enjoy it. Would I make up fanfiction, alter lyrics to songs in the show, and analyze how "deep" and "meaningful" this show is? Absolutely not!

I'm just letting them know that this fandom is deterring me from watching a potentially good show. Act how you will, it's perfectly fine. We all like things that aren't social norms.

Oh, and MLP is one thing, but you guys are nothing compared to the koolaid drinking K-On! fans. Dear lord.

Foxix Von

Stallion Free said:

I don't think anyone using an anime avatar is in the slightest embarrassed about it though. At least someone picking an anime avatar shouldn't be anymore embarrassed about it than a TF2 spanking avatar being chosen to represent themselves.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foxix said:
I don't think anyone using an anime avatar is in the slightest embarrassed about it though. At least someone picking an anime avatar shouldn't be anymore embarrassed about it than a TF2 spanking avatar being chosen to represent themselves.
Meh, put your avatar on a shirt and walk around for a day introducing yourself to random people as a fan of whatever is in the avatar. See how fast you start feeling embarrassed.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Stallion Free said:
Meh, put your avatar on a shirt and walk around for a day introducing yourself to random people as a fan of whatever is in the avatar. See how fast you start feeling embarrassed.
But then would it matter if those random people didn't know the context of that image? At least then there would be no association with the fanbase.

Post #1000, bronies. :B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom