• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

my name is crazy buttocks on a train, and a birdie tol me (Xenon specs leaked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
shpankey said:
crazy buttocks on a train, how are you tied in with MSFT or how did you come across this info? what are your credentials and why should we believe this? I'm not doubting you, just curious who you are and where you kick it.
friend I cant tell u for sure, there are lives at stake and loose lips sink trains. just know that I run with the stars and dance in the moonlightof the informatino highway, as data and information seep into my pores like Neoromancer brand tanning lotion

all I have is my balls and my word and i give my word that i will never steer you wrong
doncale said:
*YAWN*

next time find something interesting man
thx for cominginto my thread, reading, cliking on reply and typing up such WONDROUS WORDS OF WISDOM AND LIFE EXPERIENCE thank you oh so much for the contributon. Iapologize for forcing you to take time from your busy righthand lovemaking scheudule., perhaps i can clear my info posts from now on with you in PM, or over a quiet candlelit dinner overlooking your parents backyard hmmm??

jerk

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Holy shit. :lol :lol
crazy buttocks on a train said:
data and information seep into my pores like Neoromancer brand tanning lotion
:lol
perhaps i can clear my info posts from now on with you in PM, or over a quiet candlelit dinner overlooking your parents backyard hmmm??

jerk
:lol :lol

jedimike

Someone suggested that (for those who want custom soundtracks or other HD features) that they could link the next X-BOX to thier PC's HD. But would doing this require some new MS software probably?

I think it would be easy enough for MS to do. They already do it with the Media Center Extender. Heck, even my TiVo has the ability to stream music from my PC to my TV. Yes, it will require an extra download for your PC, but the 802.11b bandwidth is more than enough to carry your XBL stream along with an audio stream. Seems like a perfect, easy solution.

jedimike said:
I think it would be easy enough for MS to do. They already do it with the Media Center Extender. Heck, even my TiVo has the ability to stream music from my PC to my TV. Yes, it will require an extra download for your PC, but the 802.11b bandwidth is more than enough to carry your XBL stream along with an audio stream. Seems like a perfect, easy solution.

For people with PC's.

shpankey

not an idiot
friend I cant tell u for sure, there are lives at stake and loose lips sink trains. just know that I run with the stars and dance in the moonlightof the informatino highway, as data and information seep into my pores like Neoromancer brand tanning lotion

all I have is my balls and my word and i give my word that i will never steer you wrong
cool, good enough for me :lol

oh yeah...
thx for cominginto my thread, reading, cliking on reply and typing up such WONDROUS WORDS OF WISDOM AND LIFE EXPERIENCE thank you oh so much for the contributon. Iapologize for forcing you to take time from your busy righthand lovemaking scheudule., perhaps i can clear my info posts from now on with you in PM, or over a quiet candlelit dinner overlooking your parents backyard hmmm??
lol_spit.gif

element

sonycowboy said:
For people with PC's.
Which most people have. Especially if you have xbox live.

Xbox Live = Broadband user. I don't think there are many broadband users who don't have PCs.

In Sony's plan, people have to have computers as well.

you can't remove the computer from the future!!

element said:
Which most people have. Especially if you have xbox live.

Xbox Live = Broadband user. I don't think there are many broadband users who don't have PCs.

In Sony's plan, people have to have computers as well.

you can't remove the computer from the future!!

I have a Mac! I don't want it to require a computer to use or even worse, to require Windows to use.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think the PC solution is better than a hard drive tbh, getting your MP3 collection onto a non-modded xbox is a right pain in the ass.

I hope they dont try and do save games remotely too though, that would fuck up save times, i want to spend less time out of the action next gen, not more.

IJoel

Ghost said:
I think the PC solution is better than a hard drive tbh, getting your MP3 collection onto a non-modded xbox is a right pain in the ass.

I hope they dont try and do save games remotely too though, that would fuck up save times, i want to spend less time out of the action next gen, not more.

Or they could do both. An Xbox 2 with a HD AND the ability to connect to the PC and play media files from there, as well as use it for storage if desired.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Xenon facts from the big hi roller game meets last week

-- ALL TITLES must be live aware
-- movie playback? WM9-based
-- built in mp3/wma player
-- 7gigbyte dvd with dual layers
-- xbox 2 hd is gonna be optional {uh oh}

this post is sponnsored by my buttocks n

No blue ray? No HD DVD? WTF?

Hmmmmm, that kinda blows. I read that MS was trying to keep costs down. Maybe this is a result of that.

element

pcostabel said:
I have broadband and I don't have a PC.
how the hell are you posting then?

I have a Mac! I don't want it to require a computer to use or even worse, to require Windows to use.
Who said it would require a computer? No one ever said require. If anything it would be one of many options.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Thanks jedimike...I didn't know one could do that? I only have Win98 still though and an old PC so I dunno if it would work for me though is why I'm asking. I know some of that stuff is basically already in newer PC's with newer versions of Windows.

The idea of "piggybacking" the PC is kinda cool. I mean, most people who are interested in online gaming or media functionality have a PC so using your computer and game system in tandum for things like mass mod's (saved to the PC's HD), media sharing (playing WM9 video or MP3's in games, etc from your PC HD to your TV) and going online. I mean why add the cost of a HD to a game system if it could just "piggyback" your PC to do it instead?

I really think this could be Nintendo's approach too! It'd be nice to simply wirelessly connect your PC & Revolution to go online, share files and store mass saves and such. Maybe that's why they talked about the Revolution hooking up to a PC monitor out of the box...'cos they plan to "piggyback" the PC...afterall, all the people crying for Nintendo to go online likely have a PC so why not "piggyback" it?

Or maybe I'm totally off on this idea? But essentially isn't that what DS does??? It can connect wirelessly locally without a PC or hub...but to do online multiplayer over longer distances it needs to "piggyback" thru a WiFi hub or PC right?

Joe

assuming these rumors (including the name) it seems maybe MS would be better releasing next to ps3 instead of 6 months to a year earlier.

JayFro

Banned
Taken from a game dev who works for MS.

Not true. While disk swapping is not ideal, it's an easy fix to this issue, and it costs virtually nothing to the consumer - other than a minor moment to make the swap. You already have to do this for extended movies, and such... and people don't really mind that. I personally would much rather do that, than pay an extra 50-100$ for a technology that doesn't have the kinks ironed out yet.

You're absolutely right... but why in the world would a developer change the format? It would cost more to test. It would cost more to duplicate. It would cost more for development, and they couldn't charge any more for it - because as anyone in this forum knows, no one's willing ot pay more than 50$ for a game (unless it's a special edition).

Though Dev's & publishers may have to continue to make games on standard grade DVD's, it would still be (financially) the smartest move. It's *so* cheap to make DVD's, burn DVD's (even dual layer), and press DVD's. The technology, while incredibly widespread, hasn't even peaked yet... DVD's continue to gain support every day. The format isn't anywhere near at the end of its lifecycle, and to prematurely switch to a new format (for litterally no gaine in actual game quality) makes no sense.

Once again, hats off to Microsoft for making the wise, economically viable move. I don't want to pay a dime extra for something that genuinely doesn't improve a game.

With security inserts, and leaving room for 'rim error', you're looking at a little over 6.5 gigs tops. The outer-most edge of a DVD can't really be used due to the oils that seap in (inevitably) from finger tips that ultimately cause data destruction/corruption... so although DVD 9's do hold roughly 8 gigs, you can't get that much on a disk.

No game I've worked on has been more than 4 gigs. The first Xbox games I worked on were under 2 gigs.

The decision would have zero effect on the lifespan of the system. There is litterally nothing that cannot be done on the standard grade DVD format, that can be done on the HD-DVD format. The only difference is how much data can be stored on said media... so if they choose standard grade DVD's, the only possible difference would be that you have to switch disks at some opportune time in the game to get the data that wouldn't fit on one disk.

Movies already do this. Lord of the Rings is a great example. If the Lord of the Rings DVD's came out on HD-DVD's (or Blue Ray), the quality wouldn't necessarily change at all... it would just mean that instead of swapping disks half way between the movie, you'd have it all on one disk.

But this is a true, factual statement - litterally no quality improvements can come from using HD-DVD's format, or Blue ray... only consumer ease, and higher cost.

JayFro

Banned
continued.......

Xenon without HD-DVD support would shout "I don't know or care what the difference is" to average consumers, and they likely wouldn't hold off.

You have to understand that the rare breed that visits forums like the one we're using, are just that - rare. more than 70% of the PS2 and Xbox users out there are still not sure what the difference is between DVD's and VHS, accept that one's a shiny disk, and the other is a bulky tape.

Average consumers think that PS2 games look just as good as Xbox games. Average consumers think EA games are great, because they have Tiger woods on the cover, or the 'real' Lord of the rings guys on the front of the box'.

For those of us serious about quality, we know that a game machine will never make the best movie playback device... so at the end of the day, lets look at the net, net gain of HD-DVD playback in Xbox 2 versus standard grade DVD playback in Xbox 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Net/Net pros and cons with HD-DVD in every box:
PROS:
No disk swapping on games ever
Xbox 2 can be used to play HD-DVD's
CONS:
It cost more to the end user to buy the console
It cost more to buy (or at least develop) games
There's no increase in the quality of games
It's a new medium, and as such the standard 'new format' bugs and errors have yet to be irond out.

...so when they get thier Xbox 2, they realize there's litterally *nothing* that takes advantage of the HD-DVD format, and are left hoping for something to come out, to showcase their new awesome toy! Months (if not several years) go by, the bugs get worked out with the new format, and either blue ray or HD-DVD gets a foot hold on the market... then the hard core quality enthusiasts buy a new HD-DVD/Blue-ray player anyway... making the functionality in their Xbox 2 box virtually useless, if not entirely useless... and the extra money they had to pay for the box because of the added feature of HD-DVD has gone to waste, completely.

Or...
Net/Net pros and cons with DVD drives in every box:
PROS:
No loss in game quality whatsoever
Extremely high quality standard grade DVD playback (tried and true format, with all bugs ironed out, Dolby digital support, DTS, progressive scan, etc. etc.)
Cheaper box
Cheaper games (or cheaper game development, meaning devs can spend the time/money wasted on supporting a more expensive format on something that counts, like quality of the game)
CONS:
You MAY have to switch disks on some games, as they become larger
You won't be able to play any HD or Blue ray DVD specific content

...so when the Xbox 2 launches, people are impressed with it's fully functional, high quality DVD playback that rivals that of any other home (standard grade) DVD player, and get the best gaming machine in the world, with the most cost effective games/hardware. Then when (if) a higher grade DVD medium becomes more widely accepted, and actual content becomes available (likely not for at least 3-8 years), the user can either buy the Xbox 3, which now supports it extremely well and has it well integrated, or they can buy their dedicated HD-DVD player... just like we quality enthusiasts do now...

...and for the super nerdy who actually have a media center PC - well, that's easy - you then get a Blue ray (or HD-DVD) player when one format gets the content you want, and then you plug in your new drive, and use your Xbox 2 as a media center extension, enabling you to watch the movies you want on your HD in your living room, with the HD quality you want, but actually reading the disk from your media center PC, which can read that kind of format.

GhaleonEB

JayFro said:
continued.......

Xenon without HD-DVD support would shout "I don't know or care what the difference is" to average consumers, and they likely wouldn't hold off.

You have to understand that the rare breed that visits forums like the one we're using, are just that - rare. more than 70% of the PS2 and Xbox users out there are still not sure what the difference is between DVD's and VHS, accept that one's a shiny disk, and the other is a bulky tape.

Average consumers think that PS2 games look just as good as Xbox games. Average consumers think EA games are great, because they have Tiger woods on the cover, or the 'real' Lord of the rings guys on the front of the box'.

For those of us serious about quality, we know that a game machine will never make the best movie playback device... so at the end of the day, lets look at the net, net gain of HD-DVD playback in Xbox 2 versus standard grade DVD playback in Xbox 2
Net/Net pros and cons with HD-DVD in every box:
PROS:
No disk swapping on games ever
Xbox 2 can be used to play HD-DVD's
CONS:
It cost more to the end user to buy the console
It cost more to buy (or at least develop) games
There's no increase in the quality of games
It's a new medium, and as such the standard 'new format' bugs and errors have yet to be irond out.

...so when they get thier Xbox 2, they realize there's litterally *nothing* that takes advantage of the HD-DVD format, and are left hoping for something to come out, to showcase their new awesome toy! Months (if not several years) go by, the bugs get worked out with the new format, and either blue ray or HD-DVD gets a foot hold on the market... then the hard core quality enthusiasts buy a new HD-DVD/Blue-ray player anyway... making the functionality in their Xbox 2 box virtually useless, if not entirely useless... and the extra money they had to pay for the box because of the added feature of HD-DVD has gone to waste, completely.

Or...
Net/Net pros and cons with DVD drives in every box:
PROS:
No loss in game quality whatsoever
Extremely high quality standard grade DVD playback (tried and true format, with all bugs ironed out, Dolby digital support, DTS, progressive scan, etc. etc.)
Cheaper box
Cheaper games (or cheaper game development, meaning devs can spend the time/money wasted on supporting a more expensive format on something that counts, like quality of the game)
CONS:
You MAY have to switch disks on some games, as they become larger
You won't be able to play any HD or Blue ray DVD specific content

...so when the Xbox 2 launches, people are impressed with it's fully functional, high quality DVD playback that rivals that of any other home (standard grade) DVD player, and get the best gaming machine in the world, with the most cost effective games/hardware. Then when (if) a higher grade DVD medium becomes more widely accepted, and actual content becomes available (likely not for at least 3-8 years), the user can either buy the Xbox 3, which now supports it extremely well and has it well integrated, or they can buy their dedicated HD-DVD player... just like we quality enthusiasts do now...

...and for the super nerdy who actually have a media center PC - well, that's easy - you then get a Blue ray (or HD-DVD) player when one format gets the content you want, and then you plug in your new drive, and use your Xbox 2 as a media center extension, enabling you to watch the movies you want on your HD in your living room, with the HD quality you want, but actually reading the disk from your media center PC, which can read that kind of format.

Great arguments. I too feel that a new format it waaaaay premature.

JayFro

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Great arguments. I too feel that a new format it waaaaay premature.

Exactly, it took time for DVD to take the top spot from VHS, and HD-DVD or Blu Ray probably won't become dominant for at least 5-10 more years. People are always just very reluctant to change.

Endymion

IJoel said:
Or they could do both. An Xbox 2 with a HD AND the ability to connect to the PC and play media files from there, as well as use it for storage if desired.

That would be cool. I approve.

Borys

Banned
Uh-oh, looks like Xbot's damage control has already begun...

No need for BR or HD-DVD ?
PS3 "too powerful" ?

Says who? The same guys that bought Xbox because it was more powerful than PS2?

Can't believe what I'm reading, how things change...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Having Blu-ray doesnt make PS3 any more powerful, thats the point the guy is trying to make.

And he's right.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Movies already do this. Lord of the Rings is a great example. If the Lord of the Rings DVD's came out on HD-DVD's (or Blue Ray), the quality wouldn't necessarily change at all... it would just mean that instead of swapping disks half way between the movie, you'd have it all on one disk.

:lol

Yeah, 1080p video and higher quality multi-channel sound do not increase the end result
icon_rolleyes.gif

Drive Read speed increases with both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD over what DVD can do.

Another thing is that no-one will mandate you develop PlayStation 3 games on Blu-Ray ROM discs unless you want to: some games at launch will ship on DVD's I am sure, just like it happened for PlayStation 2 (several of the launch games shipped on CD-ROM's).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ghost said:
Having Blu-ray doesnt make PS3 any more powerful, thats the point the guy is trying to make.

And he's right.

Having Blu-Ray (if Xbox 2 ships with standard DVD technology) gives it hype points ;), thoeretically higher read speeds which would produce lower loading times and would have better support for hgh quality video and audio in games. Dividing games in multiple discs is not that easy... it can result in shipping several discs which are either not fully filled or are filled with a lot of dummy data.

By some people's reasoning both Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 should have shipped with CD-ROM technology and nothing more... bah.

Rhindle

Whether there is any practical benefit to including HD support doesn't really matter so much at the end of the day.

What matters is the tidal wave of hype that it allows you to unleash and bury the other guy with. Xbox2 is going to be in a sorry competitive state if it ships without HD support and PS3 does.

The only real benefit I can see for adopting one of the newer HD disc formats is that, like people have already said, you'll have an extra bullet point on the console's packaging. For Sony, having BR in their console from the get go means that they can have a potentially huge amount of people having the ability to play these discs...and thusly heightening the chance that publishers will pay for the new, higher royalties associated with pressing these discs...therefore, Sony and it's group earn money on every disc pressed. It's much too soon and the potential userbase too little for HD discs to take off any time soon in the next 3-5 years, IMO.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Panajev2001a said:
Having Blu-Ray (if Xbox 2 ships with standard DVD technology) gives it hype points ;)
hype points don't matter outside of internet geek circles, which is comparatively small. ;P

Acosta

And he is right

He is not IMO. Looks incredible that we are having the same discussion again, this is going to be the third or fourth time that we see such an argument in history.

Look just at this, no home system with a lower storage capacity has won against one with higher capacity, no one. Nintendo 64 was beaten for Playstation, Dreamcast was beaten for Playstation 2, GC is being beaten by Xbox and Playstation 2. Sure, it would be terribly simplistic to say that it was just for that, but it's at least curious.

Please don't misunderstand me. From a developer view of point, I'm sure he is right, you don't need so many GBs to make awesome games with the right team and with a powerful hardware and tools. But it's certainly much more powerful from a market point of view. It's Sony the one we are speaking here, they will use his hype machine to show that there is something Xbox 2 can't do, will show a outstanding quality film, some breathtaking CGIs, and will let with the open mouth to people just as the same way that PSP.

However, this is not a sentence, I may be perfectly wrong, time, software and market will decide. But I wouldn't dissmiss this aspect.

Gaijin To Ronin said:
He is not IMO. Looks incredible that we are having the same discussion again, this is going to be the third or fourth time that we see such an argument in history.

Look just at this, no home system with a lower storage capacity has won against one with higher capacity, no one. Nintendo 64 was beaten for Playstation, Dreamcast was beaten for Playstation 2, GC is being beaten by Xbox and Playstation 2. Sure, it would be terribly simplistic to say that it was just for that, but it's at least curious.

Please don't misunderstand me. From a developer view of point, I'm sure he is right, you don't need so many GBs to make awesome games with the right team and with a powerful hardware and tools. But it's certainly much more powerful from a market point of view. It's Sony the one we are sepaking here, they will use his hype machine at full to show that there is something Xbox 2 can't do, will show a outstanding quality film, some breathtaking CGIs, and will len with the open mouth to people just as the same way that PSP.

However, this is not a sentence, I may be perfectly wrong, time, software and market will decide. But I wouldn't dissmiss this aspect.

The only way BR would make a difference over DVD would be if in the next couple of years, everyone in the world gets a proper HD TV set, and PS3 ends up being the cheapest way to get a BR player for the home.

In other words, forget a repeat of PS2/DVD hysterics of 2000. SD DVD movie format is still in it's prime, and it will be long after PS4 is introduced when BR will make any marketshare intrusion into it's space.

Acosta

The only way BR would make a difference over DVD would be if in the next couple of years, everyone in the world gets a proper HD TV set, and PS3 ends up being the cheapest way to get a BR player for the home.

In other words, forget a repeat of PS2/DVD hysterics of 2000. SD DVD movie format is still in it's prime, and it will be long after PS4 is introduced when BR will make any marketshare intrusion into it's space.

I read something exactly like that when PS2 came. For casual Joe, that doesn't have idea even that his games are going to look better with SVHS cable and stick with standard cables for the entire generation, that detail of the TV it´s unimportant.

Sony just need to hype Blue-Ray technology to show people that it´s better (that is all that people need to know), and people will adopt the "cheap" Blue-Ray recorder with games included no matter what with all the joy of the world.

As far as I can see HD-DVD is too early yet - it will be for early adoptors only over the next 2-4 years. (Both for movies and for PC storage)

When the PS2 launched, DVD was *already* widely available to the average consumer, it was not a new technology - it was tried and tested, even though VHS was still going strong.

Just now, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not present tech (even though Blu-Ray players are available) they are future tech. The market will decide when they are present tech IMO - i.e. once average consumers decide that their DVD collections (with many only starting to replace their VHS collections!) are poor quality and need replaced with the new HD versions

Take current PC games - only recently, towards the end of the current gen are games finally moving from multiple CDs to DVDs. I know that in PC games the disc is merely a delivery format, but there must be a reason why they stuck with CD for so long no? Cost.

Obviously early adopters & home-theatre enthusiasts etc will embrace either Blu-Ray / HD-DVD early-on, but the average joe consumer will be happy with DVD for a great many years to come IMO.

One other factor that will indicate how quickly Blu-Ray/HD-DVD is adopted is the porn industry - you may laugh, but the porn industry was one if the prime movers in DVD adoption, and I can't imagine Blu-Ray and HD-DVD having much of an impact there for at least 5 years.

As far as I can see towards the end of *next* gen the HD formats will be starting to cut into DVD, and then they would make a logical choice for a storage format.

Of course, this is all IMO based on previous history, and what I know of consumers. It could very well be that the PS3 with Blu-Ray could drive Blu-Ray adoption much faster than I expect... but I seriously doubt it.

I think for MS at the moment (and a lesser extent Sony with BR) the risks of adopting HD are too great

1. Which format will win out? Go with the losing format and it's going to be bad for your console
2. Cost, in the expected timeframes for new consoles, the players and media will be significantly more expensive than DVD - either the companies take the hit, or they pass it on to us via higher prices...
3. Redundancy - games don't take advantage of the media, and commercially available media (HD movies) is few and far between until the market picks up.

The biggest pro for HD media IMO is for faster read access (load times) and my understanding is that other solutions can be used for this (flash memory etc)

All IMHO

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Shogmaster said:

by that time, Microsoft could come out with Xenon HD with an HD drive built-in to play movies.

Azih

Well I've always felt that the push to replace DVD was pretty premature so I agree with most of what that dude has said.

Really if you look outside enthusiast circles DVDs are the perfect level of technology for at least another 5 years. I'd rather have the demand for higher capacity storage medium grow organically (as more and more people get HD TV sets), then the artificial hype that companies are going to attempt to generate for HD and BR.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It probably *is* the best decision for the Xbox2 to go with DVD. Since MS is on an accelerated product schedule, they'll probably be looking to phase out Xb2 in favor of Xb3 by 2008 anyway, just in time to pick the favorite in the BRD/HDDVD battle. ;)

Pimpwerx

Even if games never come on BRDs, it's a marketing advantage. You do not give the market leader leverage like this. Not one that's got the market by the balls the way Sony does. Get a PS3...a FREE Blue-Ray media player that also plays DVDs and CDs. Gee...why wouldn't you want a $300 device that gives you the option of playing HD video? I just think it would be reckless not to go with BRD or HD-DVD. It's not gonna make or break the deal, so I don't think so much emphasis should be put on it. But this is ANOTHER advantage Sony will enjoy. Releasing later will already give them the tech edge. They've already got the mind/marketshare advantage in spades. Why give them the hype advantage? What's the clincher for the Xenon then? That it releases first?

crazy buttocks is a laugh and a half, but I'm gonna hope he's wrong here. I'd just like to think MS would try a bit harder than that. Or maybe Sony's cut profit margins so tight that the competition will have to make concessions like this to keep up. I doubt it. I think MS just need to reach a bit deeper into the bank. PEACE.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
DrGAKMAN said:
Okay...

I used to think the next X-BOX would just totally bomb without a next generation disc format, nor BC or a HD...but now, I dunno. I think American's are just dumb. Nothing against people who bought an X-BOX at all...I just think that even with these three major brick walls the X-BOX bandwagon won't lose much momentum 'cos MS has already made a name for themselves in videogames and (mostly stupid American pride) people are going to get the next X-BOX regardless due to the whole Americaness of it.

Wow, you're an idiot. Look, I'm sure everyone has already piled on about this, but believe it or not, most people buy a console for the games. As long as Xenon / xbox whatever has the next Halo on it (with fully integrated online play), I'll buy it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. It has nothing to do with "ohh, big American penis!" Why are you Japanophiles / Eurotrash (note: this is not an insult to the "average" Japanese or European, just the cultural nuts) so retarded when it comes to judging other cultures?

Vark

Even if games never come on BRDs, it's a marketing advantage. You do not give the market leader leverage like this. Not one that's got the market by the balls the way Sony does. Get a PS3...a FREE Blue-Ray media player that also plays DVDs and CDs.

I'm not entirely sure your average consumer is going to fall for that one again. If sony came out tomorrow and announced a PS3 with Blu-ray play back you're going to have your average joe going:

"Blu wha? Is that like a stingray? What? New movies? You mean I have to buy all my movies over again?!? But ma movies already come on a disc! Thats horsecrap! I just bought these!'

Like it or not 80% of the people that are going to buy a PS3 aren't going to care about new fangled 1080p video when its hooked up with a lowly composite (or worse) connection.

I mean shit, my parents bought a new shiny widescreen HDTV and a progressive scan dvd player and until i interveined, it was hooked up with FREAKING COMPOSITE. They care that the image is 'wide like the movies', they don't know shit about the different video qualities.

People won't buy or not buy a console based on how big the format is or what they have to swap around. They'll buy it because it runs Halo, and their friends have one.

Pimpwerx

Vark said:
I'm not entirely sure your average consumer is going to fall for that one again. If sony came out tomorrow and announced a PS3 with Blu-ray play back you're going to have your average joe going:

"Blu wha? Is that like a stingray? What? New movies? You mean I have to buy all my movies over again?!? But ma movies already come on a disc! Thats horsecrap! I just bought these!'

Like it or not 80% of the people that are going to buy a PS3 aren't going to care about new fangled 1080p video when its hooked up with a lowly composite (or worse) connection.

I mean shit, my parents bought a new shiny widescreen HDTV and a progressive scan dvd player and until i interveined, it was hooked up with FREAKING COMPOSITE. They care that the image is 'wide like the movies', they don't know shit about the different video qualities.

People won't buy or not buy a console based on how big the format is or what they have to swap around. They'll buy it because it runs Halo, and their friends have one.
People will know what Blue-Ray is by the time the PS3 rolls out. You don't release a product in a vaccuum. You have to lay the foundation. Expect it to be covered on all the tech shows, and have spreads in magazines. I don't think BRD will make or break the deal, but it will be an advantage, and one people will know and understand. Just as you should expect to see the PS3's BRD playback features showcased at its unveiling and whatnot. It'll be mentioned in game mags by devs and pubs. It's obviously gonna be an advantage that's trumpeted. It didn't mean that DVD sold the PS2, but it sure was nice to have. And for a lot of us, it was our first DVD player. I give the PS2 a lot of credit for driving DVD sales. No other player can even dream of such a crazy adoption rate. PEACE.

So, in conclusion.

All of the Xbots have managed to convince themselves that no HDD, no HD media are insignificant and that the PS3 CPU is too powerful and it won't make any difference in the games?

SKluck

Banned
PCs games still use CDs now because it's guaranteed to work with everyone's computer, and you only swap ONCE. On installation. Much different from swapping discs to play different parts of a game.

I'm quite disappointed if they use DVDs. A lot better for MS no doubt, but I'm not one of those tards that cares how much profit a corporation makes. Probably the difference between a $250 and $299 console at launch, which is nothing IMO.

I was looking forward to a cheap free HDDVD player too.

Diablos

Trying to find an alternative to a hard disk isn't a bad idea. They fail after a few years. Unlike a NES or PSX, you won't be able to dig out your XBox in another five years and expect it to work. Chances are the hard disk is dead.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
sonycowboy said:
So, in conclusion.

All of the Xbots have managed to convince themselves that no HDD, no HD media are insignificant and that the PS3 CPU is too powerful and it won't make any difference in the games?

You see, your eye cant see past the graphics that xbox 2 does anyway so why would you want all that extra power NAW WHAT IM SAYIN?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
friend I am a good lookiin guy who believe in Jesus and would not LIE TO YOU

7gb dvd dual layer is a --***lock***--, the earth swallow my buttocks whole if I'm lying..!Id say more but they're taracking my ip now

just know that I run with the stars and dance in the moonlightof the informatino highway, as data and information seep into my pores like Neoromancer brand tanning lotion

jerk
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This guy is the best thing this board could hope for!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Gaijin To Ronin said:
I read something exactly like that when PS2 came. For casual Joe, that doesn't have idea even that his games are going to look better with SVHS cable and stick with standard cables for the entire generation, that detail of the TV it´s unimportant.

Sony just need to hype Blue-Ray technology to show people that it´s better (that is all that people need to know), and people will adopt the "cheap" Blue-Ray recorder with games included no matter what with all the joy of the world.

DVD was already an established product where real differences in media quality can be perceived on all standard analog televisions. Moving to Blu-Ray / HD-DVD really offers no advantages unless you own an HDTV. this is a fact. I understand that consumers are stupid, but Shogmaster is right. Blu-Ray / HD-DVD have a long way to go before they reach market penetration. I think people give Sony way too much credit for pushing DVD. The explosion of CD sales had already educated consumers as to the differences between "analog" and "digital" formats, and they understood the advantage of moving to a digital format for video just like they had done for audio. Neither blu-ray nor HD-DVD have that advantage. Take a look at what has happened to DVD-Audio or any of the other hi-def audio codecs, they've all failed due to a lack of consumer interest. Keep in mind that DVD had the fastest adoption rate as a new format of any piece of consumer technology, ever. This is not going to happen again.

Azih

Hell I'm of the opinion that pushing next gen optical drives down consumer throats too early will to do more harm then good for the adoption of new consumer technology. The amazing success of DVD was a result of a huge amount of goodwill from the consumers. You don't want to squander that.

Expect it to be covered on all the tech shows, and have spreads in magazines
And how many people do you really think pay attention to tech shows and magazines? We're talking about people outside of the geek segment here.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That developer guy is clearly out of his mind if he thinks a LOTR movie on a Blu Ray or HDDVD would look the same as DVD, just with no swapping. Last I checked, 1080p is slightly different than 480p.

Moving to Blu-Ray / HD-DVD really offers no advantages unless you own an HDTV. this is a fact.
Higher Capacity and higher transfer speeds are two clear, gaming related advantages. And yes I got tired of swapping disks back then at 16bit Amiga times - it's the main reason why I can't bring myself to buy a limited edition of LOTR movies.

Gaijin To Ronin said:
I read something exactly like that when PS2 came.

Are you dense? DVD did not require higher res from the displays!!! It just optimised the experience from everyone's SD TV sets! That's a big fucking difference between then and now!

For casual Joe, that doesn't have idea even that his games are going to look better with SVHS cable and stick with standard cables for the entire generation, that detail of the TV it´s unimportant.

Are you shitting me? Obcourse it's important! It's THE most important factor! Otherwise, who'd give a shit about HD content for movies?!?

Right now, I can put a highly detailed 720p (1280x720) WMV9 movie on my SXGA computer screen and enjoy it's full res glory, or via S-Vid out of my vid card, display it on my 480i SD TV set and hardly tell the difference from a normal 480i MPEG2 DVD version. Do you think anyone in their right mind would choose the second option?!? It's all about the fucking display!

For a person without a HDTV, outside fo the computing realm, BR does not mean SHIT! PS3 with BR to a SDTV owning person won't mean diddly squat, because you can't tell the fucking difference, no matter how well versed the person is in tech!

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT WHEN THEY CAN'T SEE THE FUCKING BENEFIT ON THEIR SHITTY SD TVS?!?!?!?! X_X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom