• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

expy

Banned
ilbambino said:
My PS3 turns off inmeadiately after i try to turn it on. I get no blinking red lights nor a yellow light. When i press the button, it gets green for a second, and inmediately turns off (No red light from standby mode). Any suggestions?
I'd call Sony on that matter. Seems a little odd, probably on its way down.

hertog

netguy503 said:
Nope. It only stays alive for 4 months TOPS after the fix. I'd do a backup immediately. Get a fan now and MAYBE it will stay alive longer.

ow :(

what should I back-up?
My savegames? anything else?

Can somebody please help me with this issue Step by step since I kinda suck at fixing things. But is there a way to fix this following issue that I had while downloading FW 3.10.

I downloaded the update as the PS3 asked me to and started to install. The issue now is that during the installation it hits 3% and gives me 8002F14E. I tried restarting dozens of times but it just takes me to the installation process over and over again still hitting me with the same error.

I have tried the holding the power down trick but it didnt work.

Does anybody have any ideas before I order a coffin and have to pay $150 for Sonys fuck up?

This is a 60 gig PS3 with multiple accounts from Hong Kong and Japan and have almost 50 Psone games and 20 PSN games. Also my Demon Souls saves as well as MGS4 saves on the bosses etc. I really do not want to risk sending in my PS3 that plays PS2 games just so Sony can send me a crappy 40 gig PS3.

BTW this is my second PS3. My first one bricked randomly while playing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.

Thanks

Erebus

hertog said:
ow :(

what should I back-up?
My savegames? anything else?
Use the backup utility under the settings category of the XMB. It will automatically backup everything you have on your HDD, including saves, music, etc.

For how long have you held the power button? There's several stages it goes through depending for how long you hold it. First stage is the video settings reset, second one I believe it goes to factory default.

Erebus

Host Samurai said:
Can somebody please help me with this issue Step by step since I kinda suck at fixing things. But is there a way to fix this following issue that I had while downloading FW 3.10.

I downloaded the update as the PS3 asked me to and started to install. The issue now is that during the installation it hits 3% and gives me 8002F14E. I tried restarting dozens of times but it just takes me to the installation process over and over again still hitting me with the same error.

I have tried the holding the power down trick but it didnt work.

Does anybody have any ideas before I order a coffin and have to pay $150 for Sonys fuck up?

This is a 60 gig PS3 with multiple accounts from Hong Kong and Japan and have almost 50 Psone games and 20 PSN games. Also my Demon Souls saves as well as MGS4 saves on the bosses etc. I really do not want to risk sending in my PS3 that plays PS2 games just so Sony can send me a crappy 40 gig PS3.

BTW this is my second PS3. My first one bricked randomly while playing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.

Thanks
I don't know if any of the solutions provided here will actually help though.

DarkUSS said:
I don't know if any of the solutions provided here will actually help though.

Those solutions are around formatting the HDD. Something he clearly doesn't want :p

What firmware did you have before having that problem? If its after 2.50 you can try using the recovery menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Metalmurphy said:
Those solutions are around formatting the HDD. Something he clearly doesn't want :p

What firmware did you have before having that problem? If its after 2.50 you can try using the recovery menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Just tried that and now my system turns on but my tv is searching for a signal. I cant even get to the installation.

Host Samurai said:
Just tried that and now my system turns on but my tv is searching for a signal. I cant even get to the installation.

Hum, that probably means the video settings reseted. Try switching between the hdmi cables and the ones that came with the console.

netguy503

BTW just so I have a thread to go to when the time comes,

What are the best PS3 Slim fans right now? Can I please get a link to them? I know there were at least two (with only one of them being very good). Thank you very much.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
netguy503 said:
BTW just so I have a thread to go to when the time comes,

What are the best PS3 Slim fans right now? Can I please get a link to them? I know there were at least two (with only one of them being very good). Thank you very much.

If you mean the fans inside the Slim, so far, we know of two different ones they are using... Delta (the one that appears in all the official pics from Sony), and Nidec.

Some guy with a noisy, whiny fan took his Slim apart and his was a Nidec fan.

netguy503

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
If you mean the fans inside the Slim, so far, we know of two different ones they are using... Delta (the one that appears in all the official pics from Sony), and Nidec.

Some guy with a noisy, whiny fan took his Slim apart and his was a Nidec fan.

No, but thank you. I'm talking about the ones that attach to the system like the PS3 fans you can buy extra for your system that I've heard work REALLY well. There are two so far, not as many as the PS3, and not as many as there are for faulty machinery but there are enough. The one I'm looking for (the good one) is also compatible with the phat I believe and its a tiny strip of fans I believe that connects to a USB.

It seems official. After a full format and restore, my Blu ray drive is still fucked up and crashes. Im super bummed as I just bought 2 blu rays from amazon.

What is the process for getting a repair? Its 150 bucks right? How long does it usually take?
What is the warranty on the repair? Do they actually repair it, just switch out the drive, or send me a new version of my ps3 model?

So many questions. Help me in my grief.

Metalmurphy said:
Hum, that probably means the video settings reseted. Try switching between the hdmi cables and the ones that came with the console.

Ok tried it again and It does not work. No special reboot menu or anything. I think it must be a HD problem because the system works and I dont have the YLOD. I am going to try and remove the HDD and just leave in the USB than contains the 3.10 update. Maybe the system will recognize the USB not that the HD will be out.

Well, it looks like my complacency to perform a HDD backup before mine died may end up costing me my Demon's Souls save. On Friday or Saturday I tried to play my PS3 and Trine was virtually unplayable, I turned the PS3 off and ordered a replacement HDD from Newegg. Unfortunately, I should have performed the backup then as it now appears the HDD is beyond repair; when I boot the PS3 it doesn't recognize the firmware (shit should still be stored on flash !!!!!1111), and when I try to reinstall the firmware via USB it freezes at 99%.

So I'm hoping for a miracle as the HDD is now in the freezer and hopefully it'll have enough life to allow the firmware to be reinstalled, and then make it overnight while the HDD is backed up :lol

netguy503

Valkyr Junkie said:
Well, it looks like my complacency to perform a HDD backup before mine died may end up costing me my Demon's Souls save. On Friday or Saturday I tried to play my PS3 and Trine was virtually unplayable, I turned the PS3 off and ordered a replacement HDD from Newegg. Unfortunately, I should have performed the backup then as it now appears the HDD is beyond repair; when I boot the PS3 it doesn't recognize the firmware (shit should still be stored on flash !!!!!1111), and when I try to reinstall the firmware via USB it freezes at 99%.

So I'm hoping for a miracle as the HDD is now in the freezer and hopefully it'll have enough life to allow the firmware to be reinstalled, and then make it overnight while the HDD is backed up :lol

Can't you just put your PS3 HDD into a computer, it reads the files, and allows you to copy the data that way. That is what I'm trying. I have some special software that allows me to do that.

Also, if I call Sony to deactivate my account will that also free up a space on my friends account that I share with (it should in theory, right? The account tie should vanish along with my system's deactivation right?)

WildZero

netguy503 said:
Can't you just put your PS3 HDD into a computer, it reads the files, and allows you to copy the data that way. That is what I'm trying. I have some special software that allows me to do that.

Also, if I call Sony to deactivate my account will that also free up a space on my friends account that I share with (it should in theory, right? The account tie should vanish along with my system's deactivation right?)

What software are you using? I have been trying to access my saves, but my computer does not recognise the disk.

Eiji

I have got a 250GB PS3 Slim that is only weeks old.

While playing Tekken 6, twice during the black & white loading screen the picture looked like it desynced slightly at the bottom, kind of like how a channel on an old TV would wobble a bit if it wasn't tuned in exactly.

I have the Ps3 connected up via HDMI. Was this just some HDMI desync or was the GPU overheating?

The PS3 was only on for about an hour and it wasn't even that hot.

netguy503

Eiji said:
I have got a 250GB PS3 Slim that is only weeks old.

While playing Tekken 6, twice during the black & white loading screen the picture looked like it desynced slightly at the bottom, kind of like how a channel on an old TV would wobble a bit if it wasn't tuned in exactly.

I have the Ps3 connected up via HDMI. Was this just some HDMI desync or was the GPU overheating?

The PS3 was only on for about an hour and it wasn't even that hot.

Can people that post say if they are using a fan or not? I'd like to take a survey of whose YLODing WITH a fan on compared to those without. It would be a good comparison for others as well. Fans are below $20 and if they can prolong the life of your console in this faulty hardware generation why not get one?

Also, it just sounds like you may need a laser replacement. Which still means you need to mess around with your system which DOESN'T help your chances of YLODing.

Eiji

netguy503 said:
Can people that post say if they are using a fan or not? I'd like to take a survey of whose YLODing WITH a fan on compared to those without. It would be a good comparison for others as well. Fans are below $20 and if they can prolong the life of your console in this faulty hardware generation why not get one?

Also, it just sounds like you may need a laser replacement. Which still means you need to mess around with your system which DOESN'T help your chances of YLODing.

I'm not using an external fan to help cool the 360 and the room temperature is very low.

I'm also interested in knowing why you connect a screen problem with a failing drive.

I've had drive failure on other optical based consoles but have never experienced symptoms of screen shaking.

I've found a video which shows exactly what happened to the display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90yIO5QHmJ4

I think I'll try another HDMI cable, like the one I use with my 360.

Ok heres my issue, ps3 slim here, Im getting white dots in GOW 3 demo which I wasn't getting before and in Ratchet an Clank Im getting some artifacting but only in certain areas of the game leading me to believe its a bad install or the game is just like this, installed again but they still appear. I dont have any other issues with other games. Im not sure whats going on.

dreamer3kx said:
Ok heres my issue, ps3 slim here, Im getting white dots in GOW 3 demo which I wasn't getting before and in Ratchet an Clank Im getting some artifacting but only in certain areas of the game leading me to believe its a bad install or the game is just like this, installed again but they still appear. I dont have any other issues with other games. Im not sure whats going on.
That's most likely the GPU either dying or overheating.

Benedict

My repair/replacement is taking it's time.
I've been offered to lend a PS3 from the store until I get my unit back, but I think I can't be bothered with all the hassle of downloads and savefiles.

When talking to the customer support where I bought it, it seems that Nordisk Film who repairs/replaces them are flooded with faulty PS3's.

So PS3's don't seem so reliable as I first thought...

Charles

So my PS3 (60gb, PAL launch) got the good ol' YLOD over the weekend and I was wondering if there was some way to get the data off my old HDD since sticking it into a new PS3 will just prompt me to format the drive.

Is there some sort of adapter to copy from PS3 (laptop) hard discs to PCs? And if there are, will it make a difference?

Guys should I send in my ps3 slim for repairs? Im getting artifacting and pop ups in Ratchet and Clank ONLY, ALL my other games and bluray movies work just fine, not sure what to do here.

biocat

Okay, guys. I got my 60gb back, went to restore from a month old backup, restored it, and upon boot-up it says it needs to repair the hard drive!

After it finally finishes that, I find that I've lost all my old save files and my original main account. WTF!

Not only did my PS3 get borked, but now my backup file!? Is there any hope?

(edit)Okay. I did again and this time when it repaired the HDD I had my saves. Things were still wonky, though, like all my games were missing and I had to re-setup my PSN accounts. Oh well. I just hope I don't have to go through this again too soon.

Does anyone have luck with any of those third-party fans? I might pick up one if it means extra life for my PS3.

y2dvd

So my 80gb ps3 just got the ylod...again! What are my options here? I guess the only way I can get Sony to deactivate my account is by sending it in?

netguy503

y2dvd said:
So my 80gb ps3 just got the ylod...again! What are my options here? I guess the only way I can get Sony to deactivate my account is by sending it in?

since you say again that means you broke the seal meaning you CAN'T send it in to SONY. The smart thing to do (and what you should of done the first time: reflow the system, deactivate your accounts, back up your system. In that order. I don't know if you can back up game saves after deactivating accounts but it is important you deactivate FIRST. Then you should immediately SELL YOUR DEAD PS3 (dead ps3's are going for $200 dollars right now). Get the money (and if you still want to support sony) pay $100 dollars more and get a brand new system with a brand new $100 warranty. It saves you alot of trouble.

I really don't know why people play the "I'll just wait it out until it dies again" game. It's very dangerous as well as unpredictable as your system could go at any time and what if the next time something of value was stuck in it. Then you'd be even MORE screwed than you are now. Also since you're reflowing again just remember with every reflow your console has a shorter and shorter lifespan.

I mention deactivating account right away as I just called SONY today and they will NOT let me deactivate an account of a dead system even though the YLOD is partially their fault and they do not offer any way to let you deactivate outside the system. It's like they WANT you to break into it. I mean GOOD LORD THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

biocat

netguy503 said:
since you say again that means you broke the seal meaning you CAN'T send it in to SONY. The smart thing to do (and what you should of done the first time: reflow the system, deactivate your accounts, back up your system. In that order. I don't know if you can back up game saves after deactivating accounts but it is important you deactivate FIRST. Then you should immediately SELL YOUR DEAD PS3 (dead ps3's are going for $200 dollars right now). Get the money (and if you still want to support sony) pay $100 dollars more and get a brand new system with a brand new $100 warranty. It saves you alot of trouble.

I really don't know why people play the "I'll just wait it out until it dies again" game. It's very dangerous as well as unpredictable as your system could go at any time and what if the next time something of value was stuck in it. Then you'd be even MORE screwed than you are now. Also since you're reflowing again just remember with every reflow your console has a shorter and shorter lifespan.

I mention deactivating account right away as I just called SONY today and they will NOT let me deactivate an account of a dead system even though the YLOD is partially their fault and they do not offer any way to let you deactivate outside the system. It's like they WANT you to break into it. I mean GOOD LORD THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

I got mine repaired here in Japan and bought a new PS3 from one of the bundle deals during Black Friday. I was planning on selling off the repaired 60gb PS3 and using my new slim, but I'm kind of having second thoughts.

The Japanese repair office was super fast (about a week), returned the game that was stuck in the slot, and even put the original box I sent it in inside an outer protective box.

The PS3 is also the exact same unit I sent. I can tell from some scratches I left by accident.

I might be delusional, but I feel like maybe the Japanese repair office is a bit more reliable and I'll be able to stick with this thing a while longer. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably I'm wrong.

Any opinions?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It doesnt matter if your PS3 is vertical, horizontal, upside-down, or sideways. As a victim of this YLOD issue myself with my launch system, and after seeing all the reports on many different forums of the many, many, others who've had it happen, it's my opinion that Sony has/had a manufacturing problem with the old PS3s and eventually most of them will YLOD far before the system should have "normally" quit working. The worst part is Sony's continuing arrogance regarding the whole thing, pretending its not even a real problem. Many people like myself end up with a YLOD system when we treat our systems like gold, clean them regularly, give them plenty of space, etc... It's NOT our fault these things are dying.

In my small, local circle of PS3 gamers, there's 5 of us, all living in different geographical areas. Out of the 5, 3 of us have had YLOD on our PS3 launch units right around 2.5 year mark. Not quite as "isolated" of an issue that Sony wants us to believe.

Since someone asked, reflowing is the process of taking the PS3 apart and heating the solder around the GPU and CPU (with a heat gun) to a point where it liquifies again, and then rehardens. You then reassemble your PS3, and in alot of cases it fixes YLOD since the process creates a new "seal" with the chips to the board. The problem is its only temporary. If you get it to work, you're only looking at a few months, tops, before it happens again.

Since Sony refuses to even acknowledge that there's a potential issue with their older systems and YLOD, or even ATTEMPT to look into it, i have no other choice but to believe that 2 years or so from now all of our Slims will be having the same issue.

I love my Slim to death, and the PS3 and its games in general, but man.....Sony needs to deal with this YLOD BS now!!!

DeadGzuz

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Since Sony refuses to even acknowledge that there's a potential issue with their older systems and YLOD, or even ATTEMPT to look into it, i have no other choice but to believe that 2 years or so from now all of our Slims will be having the same issue.

You know that logic is crazy right? If my 1980 Mustang II had transmission problem, then so will my 2009 Mustang?

squall211

dak1dsk1 said:
Any tips to maximize the life of a PS3? I got the BC 60GB model, and I want to make it last years.

Don't use it very often? :lol

Seriously, mine hasn't had a problem since I bought it in March 2007. Part of the reason mine is still going strong (I'm guessing) is that when I bought a 360 in July 2008, it got about 95% of my gaming time until about mid-March of this year.

I sent my Slim in for repairs, I was getting minor artifacting in Ratchet and Clank: CIT, it was the only game giving me problems, oh and the GOW 3 demo was giving me problems as well, I wasn't going to send it in but I wasn't sure if future problems would occur so I decided to just send it in anyway just in case. Do they send you refurbs, hopefully they dont care and send me a new unit.

gtmax

Mine too. I was streaming.

I don't like the new models though. How safe would i be with an 80 gig model? do those go for 300bucks as well? im thinking i cna find them at retail stores that don't sell many ps3s.

biocat

y2dvd said:
netguy503: What's reflowing?

biocat: How much did the repairs cost?

It cost me 16,800 yen with shipping and pickup.
Almost everything in Japan is a little more expensive. I think it's usually $150 in the US.

netguy503

gtmax said:
Mine too. I was streaming.

I don't like the new models though. How safe would i be with an 80 gig model? do those go for 300bucks as well? im thinking i cna find them at retail stores that don't sell many ps3s.

nope. they are $400. and GOOD LUCK finding them.:lol

methane47

:(

My first time venturing into this thread. :(

Soo umm... My PS3 is acting up... It just isn't reading blurays, DVD's seem to play fine..
But Bluray Movies aren't read at all.. and Blu Games seem to be read... and they start up buy freeze after a few minutes...

Edit: I dont get any errors or anything.. it just freezes.

I assume i need to clean out the dust... Is this an option? Or do i have to send it back to Sony?

Note: I have a 60Gb Full BC :( bought about 2.5 - 3 years ago.

biocat

methane47 said:
:(

My first time venturing into this thread. :(

Soo umm... My PS3 is acting up... It just isn't reading blurays, DVD's seem to play fine..
But Bluray Movies aren't read at all.. and Blu Games seem to be read... and they start up buy freeze after a few minutes...

Edit: I dont get any errors or anything.. it just freezes.

I assume i need to clean out the dust... Is this an option? Or do i have to send it back to Sony?

Note: I have a 60Gb Full BC :( bought about 2.5 - 3 years ago.

Do a backup before you start anything. Have any of your PSN games frozen up?
I started getting some random freezes before mine died. Be careful!

Top Bottom