• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

GPsych

Okay, I've got a problem that I suspect (hope) is a software issue. My PS3 (60 GB Launch unit) freezes like crazy while playing Dragon Age. Sometimes, it will let me play for an extended period of time (2 to 4 hours at the beginning of the game) but it will freeze every ten to fifteen minutes in some areas. Boss fights are especially prone to freezing. Currently, I'm stuck on the game as I saved right before a boss fight and it freezes up during the combat every time (I've attempted it 10 times) at various points (30 to 90 seconds after the fight begins). The freeze itself is total - you have to hold down the power button for a good five seconds to get it to turn off. The PS button does nothing. Only thing I can do is eject the disk. Even more odd, if the controller is rumbling at the moment of the freeze, it will continue to rumble until I shut down the system.

Currently, I do not have a freezing problem with any other game (or Bluray movies) although I've only tried Uncharted (the 1st one) and a couple of PS2 games. In fact, I played Final Fantasy X for five hours today without a problem. Still, Dragon Age continues to have this problem no matter what I try. Here are the things I've attempted:

1) Deleted game data and reinstalled.
2) Restore Files option from the recovery menu.
3) Restore PS3 from the recovery menu (didn't really have much in the way of game saves to lose)
4) Disconnected from the Internet and played it offline.

Is the Bluray lens going bad or is this just a software problem with Dragon Age? Any thoughts?

ronito

So I was watching some netflix tonight and suddenly my PS3 just gives me 3 beeps and turns off.

Now when I try to turn it on it just gives me 3 beeps and a flashing red light. It's an old 60 gig. I know it's not the cables (I can swap them out and get the same issues). It wont even boot, it just spins up the fan and immediately turns off. Any advice? Or am I gonna have to drop a ton of moola and get a new one?

entremet

ronito said:
So I was watching some netflix tonight and suddenly my PS3 just gives me 3 beeps and turns off.

Now when I try to turn it on it just gives me 3 beeps and a flashing red light. It's an old 60 gig. I know it's not the cables (I can swap them out and get the same issues). It wont even boot, it just spins up the fan and immediately turns off. Any advice? Or am I gonna have to drop a ton of moola and get a new one?
That's pre-YLOD. I got that and a bit later I got my YLOD. Sorry, bro. You can send it to Sony and they'll fix it or exchange a refurb 60 gig for $150.

ronito

entrement said:
That's pre-YLOD. I got that and a bit later I got my YLOD. Sorry, bro. You can send it to Sony and they'll fix it or exchange a refurb 60 gig for $150.
well I got it cheap as a refurb from a GAFFer I knew this might happen, but the extras I got with it make it worth it. I guess I'm SOL. Odelay.

lupinko

Well I'm boned, I was playing FFXIII today and the PS3 turned itself off, gave me the red lights then eventually gave me the yellow light of death.

Now I can't even get it to do the emergency forced eject shown on youtube for whatever reason. I don't mind losing game data or whatever, but what I'm really angry about is my stuck FFXIII disc. =(

I posted this in sorrow in the FFXIII thread but I didn't want to derail it any further so I'm posting it here in the proper thread.

Anyone have any ideas other than me opening up the PS3? It's out of warranty, it's a Japanese 60GB model (if I have to send it to SCEJ I do have contacts in Japan and I work for a shipping company so sending it to SCEJ wouldn't be an issue), again my main beef is that FFXIII is stuck inside. =(

I did an inspection on the harddrive and it was dusty as fuck, it could be a corrupted harddrive or a psu issue for all I know, but I can't locate my spare 2.5" notebook drive so I can't verify if it was harddrive failure.

This is like the worst Christmas ever for me. ='(

lupinko said:
Well I'm boned, I was playing FFXIII today and the PS3 turned itself off, gave me the red lights then eventually gave me the yellow light of death.

Now I can't even get it to do the emergency forced eject shown on youtube for whatever reason. I don't mind losing game data or whatever, but what I'm really angry about is my stuck FFXIII disc. =(

I posted this in sorrow in the FFXIII thread but I didn't want to derail it any further so I'm posting it here in the proper thread.

Anyone have any ideas other than me opening up the PS3? It's out of warranty, it's a Japanese 60GB model (if I have to send it to SCEJ I do have contacts in Japan and I work for a shipping company so sending it to SCEJ wouldn't be an issue), again my main beef is that FFXIII is stuck inside. =(

I did an inspection on the harddrive and it was dusty as fuck, it could be a corrupted harddrive or a psu issue for all I know, but I can't locate my spare 2.5" notebook drive so I can't verify if it was harddrive failure.

This is like the worst Christmas ever for me. ='(
Sony will send the disc back if you let them know it's in there. I'd just open it up. Doesn't take long and it isn't very hard at all.

Open the case, pull out a cable and ribbon connected to the blu ray player. Pop a few screws off the blu ray player, open it, pop disc out, and close it all up again.

lupinko

criesofthepast said:
Sony will send the disc back if you let them know it's in there. I'd just open it up. Doesn't take long and it isn't very hard at all.

But if I open it up, Sony won't accept the PS3 back anymore right? :S

EDIT: This involves me breaking that sticker seal for a warranty that is already voided since it has long expired.

lupinko said:
But if I open it up, Sony won't accept the PS3 back anymore right? :S
If it is out of warranty they will accept it even if you opened it up. Let them know you opened it to clean it but didn't touch anything else. Call just to verify first. I read that in another thread. Just don't break anything inside and you'll be fine. They won't care.

lupinko

Cool, I'll look into this in the morning. I know SCEA customer support will be open this Saturday, but I don't know if anyone is working overtime tomorrow on Christmas (probably not). =/

Wark

My PS3 is in an infinite loop of "rebuilding the database". I brought up the menu and tried to format the hard drive through that, but it said it couldn't access the hard drive. I'm assuming I'll probably have to swap it out with another hard drive, right? :(

Anyone else ever experience this? Is there any way around this?

lupinko

I asked SCEA and they told me if I tamper with the sticker, Sony will NOT repair it, regardless if it is out of warranty. So I have two choices, I open it up and get my FFXIII back, or I send it to SCEJ which will take awhile. =/

netguy503

lupinko said:
I asked SCEA and they told me if I tamper with the sticker, Sony will NOT repair it, regardless if it is out of warranty. So I have two choices, I open it up and get my FFXIII back, or I send it to SCEJ which will take awhile. =/

But you also said it wouldn't cost alot for you, right? I say go for it. What do you have to lose?

Wark said:
My PS3 is in an infinite loop of "rebuilding the database". I brought up the menu and tried to format the hard drive through that, but it said it couldn't access the hard drive. I'm assuming I'll probably have to swap it out with another hard drive, right? :(

Anyone else ever experience this? Is there any way around this?

Sounds like your HDD has taken a shit. Can always try the "freezer trick" if you want to get anything off it.

Fugu

lupinko said:
Well I'm boned
If your primary interest is getting the disc out, opening up the PS3 and dismantling the BRD to get it out isn't difficult. Granted, you're going to have a rough time getting it fixed if that's the route you take.

lupinko

If I find a way to remove the sticker in a ninja like manner and be able to put it back on, think that would still cause me issues when trying to get it repaired?

netguy503

lupinko said:
If I find a way to remove the sticker in a ninja like manner and be able to put it back on, think that would still cause me issues when trying to get it repaired?

YES...there's like no way to successfully do that.

HUELEN10

lupinko said:
You could just force-slide the top and break the plastic. That would leave the seal intact! From my personal experience though, they only care about the serial, not the warranty seal, so call again, but this time get someone else, and outright say that the warranty seal is torn, but the serial is intact so you can see what they can do for you. You have nothing to lose in making sure, right?

lupinko

HUELEN10 said:
You could just force-slide the top and break the plastic. That would leave the seal intact! From my personal experience though, they only care about the serial, not the warranty seal, so call again, but this time get someone else, and outright say that the warranty seal is torn, but the serial is intact so you can see what they can do for you. You have nothing to lose in making sure, right?

They took my name and my phone number down last time. =(

HUELEN10

lupinko said:
They took my name and my phone number down last time. =(
If you are really desperate, try plan be. Give the PS3 to a friend as a gift (Knowing full well he'll give it to you back of course) and have him re-do all the steps. You a e not ripping them off or anything, you merely want some answers. It's up to you whether you do this or not, people have different creeds. I am just merely pointing out the possibilities.

All you want is a simple, free answer, nothing more.

netguy503

HUELEN10 said:
If you are really desperate, try plan be. Give the PS3 to a friend as a gift (Knowing full well he'll give it to you back of course) and have him re-do all the steps. You a e not ripping them off or anything, you merely want some answers. It's up to you whether you do this or not, people have different creeds. I am just merely pointing out the possibilities.

All you want is a simple, free answer, nothing more.

I don't see that plan ending well. I doubt he'd get the PS3 OR the game back. Dead PS3's are being bought ALL THE TIME off craigslist and ebay (go have a look). Their is a market for them, people pay for them. I guess they like fixing them and enjoying having a cheap (or in this case FREE) PS3 for 4 months at a time before they have to fix it again. Like I said, in giving this as a gift, your friend will probably love this idea. And hopefully you don't have your CC info on their or you just gave him ALOT of free PSN games as well.:lol

Also, if your friend DOESN'T keep it, no way in hell he's going to give it back to you. As I said, dead PS3's are selling for around $200 on ebay and craigslist and, as you've now given this as a gift, you gave up your right to the system and he DOESN'T have to give you it back. So, even if he can't fix it, you just gave him $200 bucks. That was nice of you.:lol

Edit: A Japanese brand new Final Fantasy game will probably drive up the price of the system as well. You are a good friend.:D

HUELEN10

lupinko said:
Sony will fix my PS3. o_O
Christmas day and all is well! :D
netguy503 said:
Also, if your friend DOESN'T keep it, no way in hell he's going to give it back to you. As I said, dead PS3's are selling for around $200 on ebay and craigslist and, as you've now given this as a gift, you gave up your right to the system and he DOESN'T have to give you it back. So, even if he can't fix it, you just gave him $200 bucks.
If a friend would steal from you, he's not your friend.

netguy503

lupinko said:
Sony will fix my PS3. o_O

For $150 right? What did you do? Will they fix that one did they say or give you a new one (which might be better, I personally don't trust refurbs this generation). If it's a new one you have to play the activation game that I just went through. You have to find a way for SONY to deactivate your dead system and they are VERY uptight about that.

netguy503

HUELEN10 said:
If a friend would steal from you, he's not your friend.

That's not stealing. You gave it to him fair and square as a gift. He now has control over it. If I gave you a game I didn't want. You played it, enjoyed it, and traded it in for something else. Should I be pissed at you? This is the same concept really.

Edit: Now if you said to him to his face upon giving him the system, "Hey, this is my dead PS3, can you get the game out and repair it for me." And THEN he turned around and reflowed the system and then sold the system AND the game THAT would be stealing. (And he COULD make ALOT of money off that game right now)

HUELEN10

netguy503 said:
That's not stealing. You gave it to him fair and square as a gift. He now has control over it. If I gave you a game I didn't want. You played it, enjoyed it, and traded it in for something else. Should I be pissed at you? This is the same concept really.
I guess you didn't catch what I meant by "give". :lol

I call it...

PULLING A CANARY M. BURNS!
11m5og5.png

If something goes wrong, it's the canary that does the time.

That's why I also mentioned personal creeds. Of course in this scenario, the worst that would happen is the info being tracked to the GAFer instead of his friend, which might have ended up in the same no-go reply. I personally wouldn't do it, but I was merely pointing out the possibilities.

lupinko

netguy503 said:
For $150 right? What did you do? Will they fix that one did they say or give you a new one (which might be better, I personally don't trust refurbs this generation). If it's a new one you have to play the activation game that I just went through. You have to find a way for SONY to deactivate your dead system and they are VERY uptight about that.

I don't really care about activations or game data, I'm willing to pay anything to get it fixed (properly) and get my FFXIII back.

What did I say? I got another rep and like what Huelen recommended, I mentioned that my warranty sticker was worn/torn due to age and moving it around over the years, and I said I read online that Sony wouldn't repair it because of the condition of the warranty sticker, and then he said as long as it was never tampered with or nothing has been done to the serial (like what Huelen mentioned) they will take it in.

And no, it's not $150, it's more than that. :lol

I think it has more to do with it being a special request since I have a NTSCJ Japanese 60GB Model.

There really is Christmas cheer. ^^;

In the meantime I'm going to buy another FFXIII from a local store (overpriced) but I get to play it over the weekend.

netguy503

lupinko said:
I don't really care about activations or game data, I'm willing to pay anything to get it fixed (properly) and get my FFXIII back.

What did I say? I got another rep and like what Huelen recommended, I mentioned that my warranty sticker was worn/torn due to age and moving it around over the years, and I said I read online that Sony wouldn't repair it because of the condition of the warranty sticker, and then he said as long as it was never tampered with or nothing has been done to the serial (like what Huelen mentioned) they will take it in.

And no, it's not $150, it's more than that. :lol

I think it has more to do with it being a special request since I have a NTSCJ Japanese 60GB Model.

There really is Christmas cheer. ^^;

In the meantime I'm going to buy another FFXIII from a local store (overpriced) but I get to play it over the weekend.

You don't care about being possibly locked out of ALL your DLC/PSN content? All the money you've spent on them now gone with nothing to show for it? That's what's happened to me and a few other people. I'm on my profile yet can't touch MY transaction history.

Also, sorry to say but if your going the refurb of the SAME console route it's NOT every going to be fixed "properly" anymore. You are just delaying another YLOD. And you you do know that if this repair is more than $150 and you DON'T care about game data you could have just sold this dead PS3 for $200 ( you probably could get WAY more for a Japanese one) and get a new Slim for just $100 more + a new warranty. That's what I did. I saw it as my smartest option. I have a new slim plus a 2 year warranty from Best Buy.:D

netguy503

lupinko said:
I don't go crazy game sharing so I still have activations.

But what if you run into this problem again? It sounds like you have two or three systems already. It's your call. Hope you know before you plunk down the "more than $150" though that the odds are against you that the refurb won't last. Just making you aware.

netguy503 said:
You don't care about being possibly locked out of ALL your DLC/PSN content? All the money you've spent on them now gone with nothing to show for it? That's what's happened to me and a few other people. I'm on my profile yet can't touch MY transaction history.

Also, sorry to say but if your going the refurb of the SAME console route it's NOT every going to be fixed "properly" anymore. You are just delaying another YLOD. And you you do know that if this repair is more than $150 and you DON'T care about game data you could have just sold this dead PS3 for $200 ( you probably could get WAY more for a Japanese one) and get a new Slim for just $100 more + a new warranty. That's what I did. I saw it as my smartest option. I have a new slim plus a 2 year warranty from Best Buy.:D
Mind showing me how to get $200 for my broken system? I've searched craigslist and ebay and they aren't selling anywhere near that high. I got a 60gb with a broken blu ray drive I'm trying to unload so I can buy a slim.

netguy503

criesofthepast said:
Mind showing me how to get $200 for my broken system? I've searched craigslist and ebay and they aren't selling anywhere near that high. I got a 60gb with a broken blu ray drive I'm trying to unload so I can buy a slim.

Again it depends on your area and selling at a time when there is a market for them ( on/after Christmas there probably wont be) so I can't but I got around $180 for my dead machine (after shipping to the buyer and all that fun stuff).

lupinko

While I wait for Sony to fix my PS3 and return me my FFXIII, I just went out today and bought a Slim 120GB NTSCUC PS3 and Asian version FFXIII (which is the Japanese one but slightly different packaging), both of which I've agreed in principal with friend and brother to take off my hands once my PS3 and FFXIII return to me.

Yeah, money is clearly of no object here.

netguy503

lupinko said:
While I wait for Sony to fix my PS3 and return me my FFXIII, I just went out today and bought a Slim 120GB NTSCUC PS3 and Asian version FFXIII (which is the Japanese one but slightly different packaging), both of which I've agreed in principal with friend and brother to take off my hands once my PS3 and FFXIII return to me.

Damn, I'd keep the slim and give them my refurb after deactivating my account from it but it's your situation I guess.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I posted this in another thread but this thread may be more appropriate...

I got my gf a ps3 for xmas. PSN keeps signing her out when shes not doing anything regarding online like playing online games, downloading, or voice chatting.

Any ideas? I already disabled the search for media center.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is very annoying for her, and very annoying to me seeing her sign on/off every 2 mins on my ps3. :/

Wax Free Vanilla said:
my ps3 is brown bread :(

how do i get the game out thats stuck in?

i get the red flashing light

After reading about the hair dryer trick on here I dug out this dead PS3 and it's ALIVE! nearly a year after death :lol

Its sole purpose will be to serve my multi-screen GT5 setup :D

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
GPsych said:
Okay, I've got a problem that I suspect (hope) is a software issue. My PS3 (60 GB Launch unit) freezes like crazy while playing Dragon Age. Sometimes, it will let me play for an extended period of time (2 to 4 hours at the beginning of the game) but it will freeze every ten to fifteen minutes in some areas. Boss fights are especially prone to freezing. Currently, I'm stuck on the game as I saved right before a boss fight and it freezes up during the combat every time (I've attempted it 10 times) at various points (30 to 90 seconds after the fight begins). The freeze itself is total - you have to hold down the power button for a good five seconds to get it to turn off. The PS button does nothing. Only thing I can do is eject the disk. Even more odd, if the controller is rumbling at the moment of the freeze, it will continue to rumble until I shut down the system.

Currently, I do not have a freezing problem with any other game (or Bluray movies) although I've only tried Uncharted (the 1st one) and a couple of PS2 games. In fact, I played Final Fantasy X for five hours today without a problem. Still, Dragon Age continues to have this problem no matter what I try. Here are the things I've attempted:

1) Deleted game data and reinstalled.
2) Restore Files option from the recovery menu.
3) Restore PS3 from the recovery menu (didn't really have much in the way of game saves to lose)
4) Disconnected from the Internet and played it offline.

Is the Bluray lens going bad or is this just a software problem with Dragon Age? Any thoughts?

Say goodbye to your PS3 and back up all of your saves. I had issues with Uncharted 2, KZ2 and LBP freezing withing 20 minutes of play. I sent it in once and they tried to repair it, but it still kept freezing. I sent it back in and got a refurb (which works great BTW). I had a 20 gig and never figured out if it was the BD drive dying or what the issue was. 90% of my games worked fine but those 3 would never work. Another alternative if you have it is trade in the PS3 version of DA for the 360 if you have it, but you'll probably hit the freeze problem again.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
This thread truly makes me sad....Seems to me that most, if not all launch systems will YLOD.

That's the problem is that you don't know until way later in the machines life if something like this pops up. I know one person who hasn't had the YLOD that owns a launch unit 60/20 and the rest of their units have crapped out. And I bought a Slim at the end of August and now it needs to be repaired cause the GPU is f'd. That was only 4 months :(

Hardware this gen sucks.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
lupinko said:

Sony doesn't fix your PS3 they just give you one that they've already "repaired." Also, since it's not your original PS3 you can't deactivate the previously used account slot on the PSN, so you have to call them again telling them that you had system failure and you'd like them to give you back this slot.

GPsych

truly101 said:
Say goodbye to your PS3 and back up all of your saves. I had issues with Uncharted 2, KZ2 and LBP freezing withing 20 minutes of play. I sent it in once and they tried to repair it, but it still kept freezing. I sent it back in and got a refurb (which works great BTW). I had a 20 gig and never figured out if it was the BD drive dying or what the issue was. 90% of my games worked fine but those 3 would never work. Another alternative if you have it is trade in the PS3 version of DA for the 360 if you have it, but you'll probably hit the freeze problem again.

Weird. That still sounds like a software problem to me. Wonder what it is...

KillerAJD

Mine just went kaput on me while playing ACII. Got the unit in the end of July in 2007 from Circuit City. It sucks because I was just about the backup all my data tomorrow when I could borrow my cousins portable HDD. I also need to send ACII back before the 9th otherwise they'll charge me for it. IF I can even get the cash to get it fixed, is there any sure fire way I can get my system back from Sony? I couldn't give a shit about backwards compatability, but am gonna really be annoyed about my saves. I also need to beg to see if they'll deactivate the system if they won't send the same one back.

netguy503

KillerAJD said:
Mine just went kaput on me while playing ACII. Got the unit in the end of July in 2007 from Circuit City. It sucks because I was just about the backup all my data tomorrow when I could borrow my cousins portable HDD. I also need to send ACII back before the 9th otherwise they'll charge me for it. IF I can even get the cash to get it fixed, is there any sure fire way I can get my system back from Sony? I couldn't give a shit about backwards compatability, but am gonna really be annoyed about my saves. I also need to beg to see if they'll deactivate the system if they won't send the same one back.

They WON'T send you the same one back. They'll send you a slim.

Again, this is why I want NO BC with the PS3 on PS4. A system that can just play GAMES right would be FINE BY ME. You over complicate things, you get this shit.

I would do the hairdryer trick to get your game out. Especially if it's a rental.

KillerAJD

netguy503 said:
They WON'T send you the same one back. They'll send you a slim.

Again, this is why I want NO BC with the PS3 on PS4. A system that can just play GAMES right would be FINE BY ME. You over complicate things, you get this shit.

I would do the hairdryer trick to get your game out. Especially if it's a rental.
I can deal with the slim, and I guess I can deal with the game saves, and I could probably get Gamefly to hold off on charging for a bit, but one thing that I just realized is, what about a few of my family members account stuff that I shared with? Will they deactivate all the profiles on the PS3 I send them, or only for my PSN (which I've heard is a bitch to do anyways)? And I really have no tools/space to take the thing apart, plus, I'd be afraid I'd not get it back together again, lol.

*EDIT* I tried booting it up again a few minutes ago, and it stayed on long enough to eject the disc. Glad that issue is taken care of.

Top Bottom