• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Euphor!a

Banned
Wag said:
I went the exchange route for a new/refurb (whatever) Slim for my launch 20GB. I gave the CSR my CC# over the phone and he just ran it through (I noticed in my e-banking a hold for $155) and shipped me out a return box. He said he wouldn't charge me until they actually get my unit and ship out the new one.

Hmmm... I don't see a hold or anything like that on my account. When I called my bank a day or so after to check my balance it seemed like they had already charged me, which is fine but when I just checked my bank account online there is no mention of a charge from Sony and there is no money missing. There was about a week and a half between me calling and checking my account online.

I doubt I was lucky enough for them to forget to charge me, I just found it odd.

Wag

No, they'll definitely charge you one way or another. The only thing that bugs me about this is the fact that you're essentially getting a new unit and getting only a 90day warranty. That really sucks. But then I'm not going to pay another $145 for a full year warranty- it doesn't seem worth it.

MoxManiac

20GB PS3 died again. Fuck this shit! Just had it serviced 5 months ago. I feel kinda bad in retrospect, because I kinda lit into the Sony rep about it; not like he can do anything about it, being a CS peon and all.

Anyways I took the offer on the "refurbished" slim for $150 since i'm under the impression YLOD is nonexistant/rare with the new slim. Still pissed though.

Neo_ZX

My PS3 died this past weekend after I got back from working on the other side of the country. Of course it happened the day before I got back home...

Someone was playing Batman AA and it just turns off. I always had some locking up issues when using playing SSF2HDR but I always attributed it to the game's bad interface programming. The week before I left for work I had a really strange crash where I tried starting a new online game in SSF2HDR and upon communication with PSN the entire PS3 just locked up. I hard rebooted it and it asked me to submit an error report, which I did.

So yesterday I opened the thing up (which turned out to be surprisingly easy) and used this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

Warning: I completely destroyed the blue hard drive screw and needed to buy an extractor bit to get it out. Be careful. I saw a dual mode heat gun (700/1000 degrees) for $15 at Home Depot but ended up getting the digital version with more heat settings for $38.

Be careful not to hit the USB ports when performing the fix as I crashed into them on the cool down procedure and I thought it was over. Luckily it still worked and I was able to transfer my data and saves to my new 250GB slim. Took about 1.5 hours for 60GB of data.

For now I'm just leaving my BC 80GB phat PS3 unscrewed and ready to heat up again for the eventual subsequent failures. I replaced the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 3 so hopefully it goes for a little bit longer. The original thermal paste was overdone, sloppy and had chunks oozing out the edges. It was so bad that if your warranty was up I would recommend to replace the thermal paste immediately if you are good with stuff like that.

Thank goodness for the system transfer utility in the last firmware update. Without that I would have lost all progress in my copy protected Rock Band 2 save with over 300 DLC. Not sure if I would have played it ever again.

YoungHav

Banned
my 80GB just YLOD. If I get a new slim and just swap the harddrives, what happens? will my old drive/old info work as normal in the new system?

Gyrian

PuMa said:
I was worried that would be the case, but thanks for the confirmation. I have way too much crap on my busted system, so I'm definitely going to try to get this thing fixed.

Did you do the fix yourself? I know there are a ton of how-to's out there, but I was just curious what you did.

Oops, late reply. I didn't notice your post, with this topic falling down the list of pages again. My write up is a few posts above.

In short, I did fix it myself using how to's mentioned earlier in this topic--a PDF guide, and a fluxing You Tube video by the same author.

It's not too hard, but it can be fairly intimidating.

Just make sure you're well equipped before you start, it is not fun to drop this project midway because you're missing something. You will also need a rather unusual Torx Star bit to open the case and get started. You can check it easily, as it's the very first one you'll encounter when you remove the warranty sticker, then the rubber feet.

13358-zhida-star-bit-tamper-torx-bits-security-5-point-6point-2.jpg

Best of luck!

EDIT:

YoungHav said:
my 80GB just YLOD. If I get a new slim and just swap the harddrives, what happens? will my old drive/old info work as normal in the new system?

We've just covered this; sorry, but it won't work. Your hard drive is 'mated' to your console, the new one will want to re-format it.

My Ps3 just died. It just got the flashing green to yellow then to red light of death :( I don't know if i should get a slim or pay 191bucks to get it fix. It's the 60gb btw... :( :(

Edit: OMG blow dryer works, yay i deactivated my account wooo:D

YoungHav

Banned
dragonflys545 said:
My Ps3 just died. It just got the flashing green to yellow then to red light of death :( I don't know if i should get a slim or pay 191bucks to get it fix. It's the 60gb btw... :( :(

Edit: OMG blow dryer works, yay i deactivated my account wooo:D
what u do exactly?

Gyrian said:
We've just covered this; sorry, but it won't work. Your hard drive is 'mated' to your console, the new one will want to re-format it.
if I backup my PS3 data on an external hard drive, then buy a Slim, can I then download my save data onto the new HD? will I lose save files?

Nizz

Never thought I'd be posting in this thread but I need some help, please. I was just playing MW2 and my PS3 just shut off. I turned it on again and it got as far as the XMB before freezing and shutting off again.

Then the red light stayed flashing/blinking. I turned it on again and managed to eject the disc. Then it turned off again. Am I screwed? It's a 60g model. I'd hate to have to part with it but what are my possible options?

And this is the only game console I own... :(

Nizz

hultrain said:
OK, so armed with the knowledge bestowed on me by GAF, I called Sony. Tech reps were nice, walked me through some bs that did nothing and then offered me the following:

Repaired/refurbished 60gb for 150 plus tax plus shipping
"Recertified" 120gb slim (the rep called it a "skinny" :lol ), apparently this is not a "refurbished" model. Supposedly, it is a re-used shell with all new innards (in other words, the only thing re-used is the shell). Edit: whoops, forgot to say that this was 120 plus tax plus shipping.

My local console repair shop says they can probably fix the laser for about $90.00.

So, I've got some decidin' to do.
So it's 120+ tax & shipping if you decide to trade up a 60g for a slim? And 150+ tax & shipping to just repair the 60g. Ughh man, don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure mine is dead.

If slims seem to run cooler/have less chance to mess up on you, I may go that route. I'm going to try and start the PS3 tomorrow but I'm sure I'm fucked. I can't even access the XMB...

I'm going to bed, it's quarter to four in the morning. I'm tired...

KAOz

Short bus special
Sent in my old 60GB, European, phatty with BC, and got a brand spanking new 60GB, European phatty yesterday. With BC. Took 9 days all in all from sending it in via the store, and counting the weekend. Didn't have to pay a dime even though the warranty expired about 2 years ago. I am well chuffed. :D

WTF, I just checked the status of my 4 month old slim and I got this message: "Due to high demand, your system is on back order".... ok, but WTF. "Due to high demand"??????? How many slims are breaking down that my 4 month old unit can't be sent back to me.

Wow... just wow.

Gyrian

YoungHav said:
what u do exactly?

if I backup my PS3 data on an external hard drive, then buy a Slim, can I then download my save data onto the new HD? will I lose save files?

How would you perform the backup if your source machine won't turn on to let you do so?

The blow dryer trick can work, it's a very very crude reflow. It's also as unreliable a fix you're going to get. Keep in mind that it's easy to damage your case as you do it, from what I've heard.

If you're considering this option, think of what you're trying to accomplish first. It's probably enough if you're trying to copy some saves and de-activate your account. It may not last enough for you to perform a system transfer to a new machine, the only way you'll rescue your copy protected saves to a new system.

OldJadedGamer said:
WTF, I just checked the status of my 4 month old slim and I got this message: "Due to high demand, your system is on back order".... ok, but WTF. "Due to high demand"??????? How many slims are breaking down that my 4 month old unit can't be sent back to me.

Wow... just wow.

Status from who? Sony?

120GB slims are pretty much impossible to find right now in retail, so it's likely Sony doesn't have any to send out for replacements. They've had your console for 4 months? I would think they'd just send you a 250GB unit at this point.

netguy503

Valkyr Junkie said:
Status from who? Sony?

120GB slims are pretty much impossible to find right now in retail, so it's likely Sony doesn't have any to send out for replacements. They've had your console for 4 months? I would think they'd just send you a 250GB unit at this point.

Sony would lose money if they sent him a 250GB versus a 120. There is no way they would do that where a company is in a position to lose extra sales.. More then likely he will just have to wait it out. Companies aren't as nice as you think they are.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Status from who? Sony?

Yeah, I called the 800 line and talked to someone to get the status cause the repair is taking too long. They haven't had my slim for 4 months... I bought it four months ago.

First off, the slim shouldn't have even needed to be sent back in the first place. Second, just repair my unit without making me wait for a refurb.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
KAOz said:
Sent in my old 60GB, European, phatty with BC, and got a brand spanking new 60GB, European phatty yesterday. With BC. Took 9 days all in all from sending it in via the store, and counting the weekend. Didn't have to pay a dime even though the warranty expired about 2 years ago. I am well chuffed. :D
They still have 60bc europeans ps3s? Where do you live in europe?

KAOz

Short bus special
Teetris said:
They still have 60bc europeans ps3s? Where do you live in europe?

In Sweden. From what I gathered they have those models made, just in case the old ones breakdown and you can use the warranty.
But they are indeed produced, and do exist still, but only as replacement consoles.

netguy503

OldJadedGamer said:
Yeah, I called the 800 line and talked to someone to get the status cause the repair is taking too long. They haven't had my slim for 4 months... I bought it four months ago.

First off, the slim shouldn't have even needed to be sent back in the first place. Second, just repair my unit without making me wait for a refurb.

You better hope it's NOT a refurb.

YoungHav

Banned
Gyrian said:
How would you perform the backup if your source machine won't turn on to let you do so?
Well I backed up my PS3 system around October. I want to use the heat-gun reflow trick, resurrect it, and back it up fully before it dies again (mostly concerned about my Demon's Soul 120hr save file). So if I do this, can I transfer everything in my PS3 to a new slim?

netguy503

YoungHav said:
Well I backed up my PS3 system around October. I want to use the heat-gun reflow trick, resurrect it, and back it up fully before it dies again (mostly concerned about my Demon's Soul 120hr save file). So if I do this, can I transfer everything in my PS3 to a new slim?

Wasn't Demon Soul a locked game save?

manutd

Neo Member
I was thinking of using the blow dryer trick to get my ps3 up and running for a bit, create a backup, then transfer that backup to a new ps3 slim.

Will the new slim be able to read the backup from my old 60gb, im not too worried about copy protected game saves, but would like my old media files back such as photos and home videos.

YoungHav said:
:lol please keep us updated on how long it lasts. My mission is to resurrect my PS3 and then quickly get my Demon's souls platinum before it YLOD again.

I left it on for 3 hours last night nothing happened. I was using PS home, kinda scare to use it for anything else at the moment. So i am just trying to get it to Ylod again so i can sell the system and get a slim. I guess I'll leave it on longer, perhaps all night.:lol

netguy503

manutd said:
I was thinking of using the blow dryer trick to get my ps3 up and running for a bit, create a backup, then transfer that backup to a new ps3 slim.

Will the new slim be able to read the backup from my old 60gb, im not too worried about copy protected game saves, but would like my old media files back such as photos and home videos.

You probably wont be able to do the hairdryer trick and get your system up long enough to do a full backup.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
KAOz said:
In Sweden. From what I gathered they have those models made, just in case the old ones breakdown and you can use the warranty.
But they are indeed produced, and do exist still, but only as replacement consoles.
Thanks, hope they aren't fiddicky about warranty when mine breaks down.

netguy503 said:
You probably wont be able to do the hairdryer trick and get your system up long enough to do a full backup.

Wrong, mine was up for more than 3 hours. I backup, deactivated accounts, and used PS home, It's Still alive and kicking... Die already :( i want a slim.

YoungHav

Banned
Ok someone help me out here. My main concern is my Demon's souls save. What would be the best route to take i.e. which option saves copy protected files? Assuming my PS3 revives after reflow:

1) Backing up my PS3 HD to an external, buy a PS3 Slim, then importing the PS3 date from my external HD to the new Slim?

2) Or buy a new Slim and do the ethernet data transfer from old PS3 to PS3Slim? And how many hours would this transfer take?

YoungHav said:
Ok someone help me out here. My main concern is my Demon's souls save. What would be the best route to take i.e. which option saves copy protected files? Assuming my PS3 revives after reflow:

1) Backing up my PS3 HD to an external, buy a PS3 Slim, then importing the PS3 date from my external HD to the new Slim?

2) Or buy a new Slim and do the ethernet data transfer from old PS3 to PS3Slim? And how many hours would this transfer take?

Your Demon soul's save is locked, you can't transfer it.

netguy503

dragonflys545 said:
Wrong, mine was up for more than 3 hours. I backup, deactivated accounts, and used PS home, It's Still alive and kicking... Die already :( i want a slim.

Ok, but I did it to mine and it didn't work. So it is not always 100% effective. And why are you waiting for it to die? Can't you sell the working one at an even higher price?

From what I've read, if you want it to die just play Uncharted 2 and MW2 alot.:D

netguy503

YoungHav said:

Oh man, you just lost 120 hours of your life. :(

netguy503 said:
Ok, but I did it to mine and it didn't work. So it is not always 100% effective. And why are you waiting for it to die? Can't you sell the working one at an even higher price?

From what I've read, if you want it to die just play Uncharted 2 and MW2 alot.:D

The thing is i don't want my disc get stuck in there... :(

netguy503

dragonflys545 said:
The thing is i don't want my disc get stuck in there... :(

So my second question was why can't you sell an "alive" system now.... you'd still have to pay $150 to Sony to get a slim (and as another poster said, they are out right now and it's going to take awhile) or you can sell it on ebay, make a pretty penny ( I got $180 for my dead system after s&h and you probably could make even more with an alive system), and buy a new slim at a local store NOW for just a little bit more.

YoungHav

Banned
netguy503 said:
Oh man, you just lost 120 hours of your life. :(
:lol well I'm going to keep reflowing the summabitch until I get my platinum. I'm at NG++ w/World 4 done. Locking saves to a system is the dumbest fuckin' idea this gen. Especially in light of the fact that its even impossible for Sony themselves to revive a particular system, they just send a different one.

Varth

Oh, great. I'm beginning to get a little paranoid over my 60gig behaviour. In the last weeks I had two lockups where PS3 had to send a failure report automatically, so I'm beginning to think what I could do in case of a failure.

netguy503

Varth said:
Oh, great. I'm beginning to get a little paranoid over my 60gig behaviour. In the last weeks I had two lockups where PS3 had to send a failure report automatically, so I'm beginning to think what I could do in case of a failure.

not turn your system off from the back?

Varth

netguy503 said:
not turn your system off from the back?

I'm talking about complete lockups. Couldn't do anything else but turn it off from the back.

O__o this is A LITTLE more complicate than I thought. Anyway, I read two sad things:

# When you perform this operation, all data that is stored on the PS3 system that will receive the data (the "destination system”) will be deleted.
# Deleted data cannot be restored, so be careful not to delete important data accidentally. Data loss or corruption is the responsibility of the user.

I suspected as much, but pretty sad anyway. This is not gonna be of any use for those with a dead or dying PS3.

netguy503 said:
You better hope it's NOT a refurb.

Refurb or not, I just want my unit back. If they can't replace it with a different one then they should be fixing my original. Whatever, it's just going to break down again.

Wow, I use to snicker whenever this thread was at the top of active topics and now I'm saddened to say I too have had a PS3 die. I just got home from watching book of eli and here I was hoping that I would be able to play a few rounds of MW2 before going out for some drinks later. Much to my dismay, my recently purchased PS3 250GB will not play any bluray, or ps3 games. Now I went through the gauntlet by trying all my ps3 games but none works. However, I'm able to have dvds play. Please tell me what I need to do to start the process of getting this fixed. Is there even a way to fix this without having to call up a repair ticket? Thanks again for the help guys, and sorry to all those that I've snickered at. This is a horrible feeling.

Zozobra

Has anyone been following the MW2 thread on the Playstation Boards? Apparently a combination of firmware 3.10 and MW2 are causing consoles disc drives to die. The issues people are describing here are exactly what happened to my PS3.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...read.id=4167541&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I just replaced my disc drive a couple months prior since my console is off warranty and it looks like I've got to order another one now because of this issue. Not impressed.

Zozobra said:
Has anyone been following the MW2 thread on the Playstation Boards? Apparently a combination of firmware 3.10 and MW2 are causing consoles disc drives to die. The issues people are describing here are exactly what happened to my PS3.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...read.id=4167541&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I just replaced my disc drive a couple months prior since my console is off warranty and it looks like I've got to order another one now because of this issue. Not impressed.

wow this must have been a MW2 problem because I got the same error 80010514 error. I'm assuming since I'm in warranty the best bet should be to just call.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Any deals coming up in the near future? My 60GB is having random troubles finding the HDD at boot-up and I am getting worried. :(

MoxManiac

OldJadedGamer said:

Wow... just wow.

Ridulous that PS3s are breaking down to the point where they are having trouble fulfilling orders for replacement/repair. Why is Sony not getting the same hell MS got for their RROD problems.

I'm just salty as hell about my fixed PS3 YLOD'ing again. The slim they are sending me better not give me any issues. I'm sick of throwing money away at this shit.

Top Bottom