• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable

I always have a hard time understanding the idea of buying a Bethesda game day 1. On any platform.

We've been taught enough times not to do this.

The_Monk

As someone who love their games I can't wait to play this one.

Thing is I only have a PS3 and a 360 and I want to get this on PS3. Just as I was going to buy (I cancelled my pre-order and I was glad I did, because I learned to not buy a Bethesda game day 1 no matter how hyped I am) I started reading Lap issues, freezes, etc.

Now, I'm here waiting for news on the patch then I will go to my local game store and use all my store credit so I can get this game for free.

AFTER the patch I hope those problems to be gone forever and then I will only want one thing:

I want Bethesda to speak out to gamers, to apologize. Is it too much to ask? I just want one humble person in their company to speak. One. Humble. Person.

How can they release a game like this? Im asking this, honestly, how can they release a big game that becomes almost unplayable and they get away with it. Can someone please explain this to me please?

Thanks for answering.

I want to point out this particular part of the video, both for SMH and for lulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMu4Tzk2bdg&feature=player_detailpage#t=263s

I want Bethesda to speak out to gamers, to apologize. Is it too much to ask? I just want one humble person in their company to speak. One. Humble. Person.

How can they release a game like this? Im asking this, honestly, how can they release a big game that becomes almost unplayable and they get away with it. Can someone please explain this to me please?

Thanks for answering.

Amen

MrPliskin

Banned
Wasn't this discussed in the Skyrim console performance thread? It really does suck and I hope the upcoming patch fixes the issue for you OP.

Reviewers were sent the 360 or PC version for review. Most did not even play the PS3 version.

Edit:

SMH

Smh? They have yet to even acknowledge this bug specifically. Not on their blog, their twitter, or their support forum. They say their patch will "fix some issues" but don't mention anything specifically.

360 texture bug though? Week one blog post and solution addressing a specific issue.

They don't give a fuck, and I believe this is an issue they can't fix.

I would think there'd be a sneaky way to pare down the file size if that's the underlying reason for the issue. Like when the file size starts getting too big, the game could wipe out nonessential data on there.

Anteater

I always have a hard time understanding the idea of buying a Bethesda game day 1. On any platform.

We've been taught enough times not to do this.

I've never bought a Bethesda game before :(

And some guy told me the ps3 version was the definite version, though I don't remember which guy it was and where I read it from :lol, that fucker!

KageMaru

I'm really having a hard time of coming up with a reason besides "they don't give a fuck" if the bug has been in their software for 3 releases, has been widely reported and documented, and still isn't fixed. Please explain an alternative reason. Your options would be incompetence, don't give a fuck, or inability to fix. I would doubt #1 and #3 should mean they should not ship the product. So maybe I'm missing something.

Unless I'm mistaken, developers can't do much without their publisher's ok, so if the studio's publisher did not with to invest in a patch, it's not getting made. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make excuses for any studio here and I feel sorry for those who can't experience a great game the way it's meant to be played. Maybe I give developers (in general) too much credit, but I have a hard time believing they really don't give a fuck. Seems like too easy of an answer.

Smh? They have yet to even acknowledge this bug specifically. Not on their blog, their twitter, or their support forum. They say their patch will "fix some issues" but don't mention anything specifically.

360 texture bug though? Week one blog post and solution addressing a specific issue.

They don't give a fuck, and I believe this is an issue they can't fix.

See this is why my SMH is warranted. Not only have they acknowledged it, but they stated that it should be fixed in the upcoming patch. Too many people like to assume the worst because it's the easy thing to do.

I appreciate you trying to save every corpse and inventory moved in the world beth, but this shit is game breaking. No one is going to care if bodies disappear and cheese gets put back on the fucking table after 2 weeks of in game time.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Can't say anything for PS3 and 360 as they're SOL, but PC modders came through pretty quickly and fixed some of the errors on the PC version (the big one being the random CTD's).

So glad I decided to get this for PC.

NBtoaster

Unless I'm mistaken, developers can't do much without their publisher's ok, so if the studio's publisher did not with to invest in a patch, it's not getting made. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make excuses for any studio here and I feel sorry for those who can't experience a great game the way it's meant to be played. Maybe I give developers (in general) too much credit, but I have a hard time believing they really don't give a fuck. Seems like too easy of an answer.

They could have fixed it for new releases and versions of the engine. They had 3 opportunities from Oblivion to Fallout 3 to New Vegas to Skyrim. And this is something that is definitely worth a patch anyway.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Maybe they care but don't have the resources to fix it. That's entirely possible. But then they probably shouldn't ship it since it seems to affect 100% of copies in a very reasonable amount of time to play the game (10 hours). This seems like selling a car to someone you know will have problems after they drive 10,000 miles....and the same problem has been in the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 models. lol.

Hope they fix it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Unacceptable, especially for a game where you put so many hours in. I hope this won't happen to me. There are enough fucking bugs as it is:

1- Crashes
2- Terrible pathfinding for AI, who can't even figure out how to go around the simplest things.
3- Generic quest bugs.

Maybe they care but don't have the resources to fix it. That's entirely possible. But then they probably shouldn't ship it since it seems to affect 100% of copies in a very reasonable amount of time to play the game (10 hours). This seems like selling a car to someone you know will have problems after they drive 10,000 miles....and the same problem has been in the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 models. lol.

Hope they fix it.

Don't have resources to fix it? lol, they are making a lot of money with all of their releases, it's 100% unjustifiable.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Unless I'm mistaken, developers can't do much without their publisher's ok, so if the studio's publisher did not with to invest in a patch, it's not getting made.

If this bug has been in 3 releases, they either don't give a fuck or they're incompetent.

I appreciate you trying to save every corpse and inventory moved in the world beth, but this shit is game breaking. No one is going to care if bodies disappear and cheese gets put back on the fucking table after 2 weeks of in game time.

With a game as big as Skyrim I'm thinking it should be more like 24 hours in game time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well, I've skipped New Vegas because of this, and I guess I'll be skipping Skyrim too.

This is absolutely unacceptable.

Jtrizzy

I rented the PS3 version last night, and it is really rough. I wouldn't buy this game. Framerate is terrible even just playing in the first hour or so. As soon as I finish Arkham City I'll pick this up for PC.

The_Monk

I really would like to know the "how" to my previous question. Really.

Another thing: If I sell some games, get some credit, and use that store credit to buy a game it's only the store that is having profit, right?

Ranger X

Pete Hines (Bethesda) has tweeted that "On the list for this update is improved performance for long-term play on PS3." I am eagerly anticipating this update, but I wanted to say something because I don't think it is right for companies to release games in this condition in the first place.
With so many people experiencing it, I cannot fathom how they didn't catch this problem in testing.

I also find totally unnacceptable that a product can be released like that. And you know what this means and that is even worse? Their testers DID find that I am sure. Extended play sessions are common basics tests and especially when there are severe programming guidelines to respect about that if you want to get approved. What basically happened here is that Bethesda has gone cheap and said (bah, we'll patch this later) and even worse than that, Sony let it go to manifacture and approving this bullshit. (any programming guideline can be "bought" and it's probably what happened there).

Anyways, it just describe the sad state of devs and publishers that don't give a shit. Its quite the perfect example. "Oh, is it playable for a least a normal play session? yes? ship it."

I rented the PS3 version last night, and it is really rough. I wouldn't buy this game. Framerate is terrible even just playing in the first hour or so. As soon as I finish Arkham City I'll pick this up for PC.

Well the first script heavy half hour of the game is kindy iffy on all the consoles. My dad play's the PC version and it get's along a little better then the PS3's but yeah.

Y2Kev

Unacceptable, especially for a game where you put so many hours in. I hope this won't happen to me. There are enough fucking bugs as it is:

1- Crashes
2- Terrible pathfinding for AI, who can't even figure out how to go around the simplest things.
3- Generic quest bugs.

Don't have resources to fix it? lol, they are making a lot of money with all of their releases, it's 100% unjustifiable.

Hey, just trying to think of a reason besides "they don't give a fuck."

Sold my ps 3 version, picked up pc version, not only did it run like crap it also looks horrific, they didnt give one ish about the ps3 version.

I also find totally unnacceptable that a product can be released like that. And you know what this means and that is even worse? Their testers DID find that I am sure. Extended play sessions are common basics tests and especially when there are severe programming guidelines to respect about that if you want to get approved. What basically happened here is that Bethesda has gone cheap and said (bah, we'll patch this later) and even worse than that, Sony let it go to manifacture and approving this bullshit. (any programming guideline can be "bought" and it's probably what happened there).

Anyways, it just describe the sad state of devs and publishers that don't give a shit. Its quite the perfect example. "Oh, is it playable for a least a normal play session? yes? ship it."

You expect them to fix bugs? Oblivion had to have a fan made patch to fully plug up all the problems.

Anyway, I'm not even sure if you guys are serious anymore. How can you not expect this game to be a buggy piece of shit?

I (and many others) told you that would happen if you buy Bethesda games at launch. Better wait for the GOTY edition next time...

KageMaru

They could have fixed it for new releases and versions of the engine. They had 3 opportunities from Oblivion to Fallout 3 to New Vegas to Skyrim. And this is something that is definitely worth a patch anyway.

Bethesda didn't port Oblivion to the PS3 and they didn't developer NV, so that only leaves Fallout 3. Unless you work for Bethesda, there's no real way to know the true reason why it wasn't fixed in Fallout 3.

Hope they fix it.

I agree 100%, they shouldn't ship it if it's bugged, but there are so many variables (that people don't realize or are ignoring) to consider in this scenario. In the end, if the publisher wants to ship it, it's being shipped, regardless of what the studio think or feel. People want to blame the publisher, go right ahead, but with how much work is involved to make these games, you have to care to even be in the industry IMO.

But it sounds like it's not just the PS3 version?

That sounds like a different bug entirely. The PS3 bug sounds like an issue with data becoming too fragmented on the HDD and effecting performance.

edit:

even worse than that, Sony let it go to manifacture and approving this bullshit. (any programming guideline can be "bought" and it's probably what happened there).

To be fair, the cert process mostly makes sure the game doesn't brick your console or open any exploits into the system. If game performance was enough to fail cert, I think we'd see more games fail.

UrbanRats

They either don't give a shit (looking at the sales, it's not hard to believe) or they bit off more than they could chew.
Either way, it's totally their fault to have released a product obviously not finished and the reviewers' to not mention it.
I feel bad for having bought the game day1, supporting this crap attitude (PC version here, but still).

Zafir

I really would like to know the "how" to my previous question. Really.

Another thing: If I sell some games, get some credit, and use that store credit to buy a game it's only the store that is having profit, right?
Permitting you buy a new copy, the store still bought your copy from the supplier/distributor, regardless of whether you use credit to buy the said game. You'd have to buy used if you don't want to give Bethesda money.

Yagharek

Hey, just trying to think of a reason besides "they don't give a fuck."

"...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent." Or "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Hanlon's Razor

Y2Kev

You expect them to fix bugs? Oblivion had to have a fan made patch to fully plug up all the problems.

Anyway, I'm not even sure if you guys are serious anymore. How can you not expect this game to be a buggy piece of shit?

I expect physics glitches and NPC pathfinding errors, etc. But nothing like...gamebreaking that affects 100% of copies sold. That would be shitty.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I (and many others) told you that would happen if you buy Bethesda games at launch. Better wait for the GOTY edition next time...

But they don't even fix the bug, so why bother. If I had known in advance I would have probably waited until I get a better PC. It's my first Bethesda game and I know I won't buy the next one day 1.

My main save gets unplayable after a few hours.

I started a new save to get a trophy that I couldn't get on my first save because of a glitch, and it's running stable and smooth at all times... what a shame they fucked it up so bad.

Too many people like to assume the worst because it's the easy thing to do.

Do you really need to be reminded each time you post in these threads?

The save/lag issue has been in every Bethesda PS3 game since Fallout 3.

Every

Game

That is why people are highly and justifiably skeptical about the patch.

Now having said that, I hope the patch does address the problem. But stop pretending that Bethesda and ZeniMax don't have to completely rebuild their relationship with the PS3 customer, ok?

Ranger X

It's not like that on the 360 version. I played hours without such problems. The PC version also isn't like that. It's obviously a case of half assed porting it on PS3, this is what I complain about. I think it's unacceptable to release such version. Don't port at all if you can't reach some minimum quality. 360 and PC version are good enough to market. I know it's also to be expected of Bethesda but it's not less irrelevant to complain about it.

rataven

I'm not sure if this qualifies for a product recall, since it's not dangerous or anything, but I'd love to see it happen. A recall would sufficiently heighten public awareness of Bethesda's horrendous QA, hopefully muddy up their name, and force them to address the issue once and for all.

As soon as I had heard of this problem, I stopped playing Skyrim and sent my copy back to Amazon for a full refund. I'll buy the game again sometime in the future, if the patch works, but only used. So tired of this from Bethesda. Don't know why I hoped Skyrim would be different than any of their other games on PS3.

NBtoaster

Bethesda didn't port Oblivion to the PS3 and they didn't developer NV, so that only leaves Fallout 3. Unless you work for Bethesda, there's no real way to know the true reason why it wasn't fixed in Fallout 3.

They may have based their Fallout 3 port on the Oblvion code (likely considering it has issues with big files) and would still be responsible for engine updates between Fallout 3 and NV. not to mention GOTY versions.

Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3 performed even worse than the regular version.

Jtrizzy

Well the first script heavy half hour of the game is kindy iffy on all the consoles. My dad play's the PC version and it get's along a little better then the PS3's but yeah.
Yeah, the opening sequence riding on the wagons looks like 15 fps to me. Even once you get to the villages, there are some really jarring drops, turning the camera pretty much guarantees a drop.

Ravidrath

Yeah, this is the problem... saving all the physics data and changes.

While it's pretty neat, it basically makes the game impossible to rigorously test.

But they don't even fix the bug, so why bother. If I had known in advance I would have probably waited until I get a better PC. It's my first Bethesda game and I know I won't buy the next one day 1.
They fix some issues though. For all other problems I suggest the PC version, the modding community for Bethesda games is really good in fixing bugs Bethesda is just too lazy to fix.

As someone mentioned earlier, they already got your money, why should they bother?

I expect physics glitches and NPC pathfinding errors, etc. But nothing like...gamebreaking that affects 100% of copies sold. That would be shitty.

As far as I remember, all of their games released so far have game breaking bugs that ruins hours of gameplay. I might not be entirely correct though. I'm only thinking about it off the top of my head.

Hoping the patch is out soon for PS3.

Mine is getting nearly unplayable in the open world, and it wont load from manual saves anymore. I have to load from auto-saves.

KageMaru

Do you really need to be reminded each time you post in these threads?

The save/lag issue has been in every Bethesda PS3 game since Fallout 3.

Every

Game

That is why people are highly and justifiably skeptical about the patch.

Now having said that, I hope the patch does address the problem. But stop pretending that Bethesda and ZeniMax don't have to completely rebuild their relationship with the PS3 customer, ok?

Fallout 3 was the last Bethesda game on the PS3, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Also I'm sorry if my posts offend you, but if you don't like what I say, you can so easily ignore it. I'm just trying to look at logical and rational ways for these issues other than "they don't give a fuck".

That said, I'm with you on Zenimax rebuilding their relationship with PS3 customers, no argument there. Hopefully this patch is the start of that.

Edit:

They may have based their Fallout 3 port on the Oblvion code (likely considering it has issues with big files) and would still be responsible for engine updates between Fallout 3 and NV. not to mention GOTY versions.

You could be right about taking the Gamebryo code from Oblivion and using that as a basis for Fallout, who knows. I do know they weren't responsible for anything regarding the development of NV in any way, including engine development and updates.

I'm not sure if this qualifies for a product recall, since it's not dangerous or anything, but I'd love to see it happen. A recall would sufficiently heighten public awareness of Bethesda's horrendous QA, hopefully muddy up their name, and force them to address the issue once and for all.

As soon as I heard of this problem, I stopped playing Skyrim and sent my copy back to Amazon for a full refund. I'll buy the game again sometime in the future, if the patch works, but only used. So tired of this from Bethesda. Don't know why I hoped Skyrim would be different than any of their other games on PS3.

Has there ever been a product recall on a major video game?

Top Bottom