• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I hate how so many products these days ship in such a broken status because it can be patched later. Oh sure, I know other shit products in the past were broken pieces of shit on release, and I'm very glad the option to fix something that might not have been caught in testing exists.

But the flip side again is that I hate when a game is broken, the developer most likely knows it, and ships it anyway knowing they can simply upload a band-aid later. That's just lazy.

Anyone know a good lawyer? My copy is slowly approaching that level of unplayability and I haven't come close to completing the game yet. Seems like we could have a case for a class action.

I blame the gimmick release date.

This is a problem that goes beyond not enough development time and into Bethesda using their same shitty broken engine and shoving it out without a second thought.

okenny

Banned
I've been running skyrim on my 250gb slim almost 150 hours and I have over 1800 saves and am a known horder. so far, I've had about 3 hard crashes, a few rare and random in-game bug but this is been proportionally lower than most games I've played this year. All my frame rate drops though rare have been due to auto-save being fired.

I think this game is a technical marvel so it saddens me that some people's experience are being compromised by such poor performance. I feel every last bit of the pain in the last words of the OP's opening.

Anyone know a good lawyer? My copy is slowly approaching that level of unplayability and I haven't come close to completing the game yet. Seems like we could have a case for a class action.

Jack Thompson's one and it seems he's unemployed at the moment. And he'd totally do the job!

People are saying that Bethesda can't patch this out, but they said that the next update will address the problems on PS3...

Since they have nobody to be accountable to, it doesn't really affect them financially if they never get a patch out.

Really glad I put off my purchase. I hafta buy it on ps3 and this thread has convinced me to not bother.

Will wait a year till patches come out and it is 19.95....will save me frustration and money sounds like.

Rezbit

It's a real shame that PS3 users are having these issues. Crazy that some of them like that save file bug managed to get through. It sucks because the game itself really is brilliant.

cnizzle06

Banned
Am I the only person not having game-breaking issues? I mean, I'm a little over 40 hours in and everything seems fine aside from the increasing file size.

Zzoram

The worst part about the "lets patch game breaking bugs later" approach is that a huge percentage of people still don't connect their consoles online. Something like 40% of people don't.

X26

Banned
was considering picking up a ps3 slim and skyrim this weekend but with these issues I'm not so sure

It's an incredible game, but this is one of the many things about the game that I find baffling. Weren't these issues around for previous Bethesda games using the same engine? It says much about the company that they'd release such a product to millions of customers.

I played FO3 and NV on the PS3, and while they weren't standup citizens technically, I encountered nothing that was any more than an annoyance. With Skyrim, I simply have to stop playing sometimes, because it becomes impossible to progress.

okenny

Banned
Really glad I put off my purchase. I hafta buy it on ps3 and this thread has convinced me to not bother.

Will wait a year till patches come out and it is 19.95....will save me frustration and money sounds like.

is the OP's experience indicative of the normal ps3 experience? Any parity stats with other players?

Atomski

I understand what you are saying, and I am looking into upgrading my PC in the future.

The point is that companies should be held accountable for releasing broken games, and shouldn't get away with patching it weeks later and everything being hunky-dory.

Attention should be brought to this and Bethesda should be thoroughly ashamed. I'm sure their egos are pumped up due to all the great press Skyrim is getting (deservedly so IMO), but this shouldn't slip through the cracks.

What would have been a bigger outcry? Releasing a buggy ps3 version or releasing the ps3 version a month or more after other versions?

Alex

The pc version runs so nice, at least for me, no issues here, I'm pretty surprised how easy it is to max it actually.

Sysgen

This is BETHESDA. Plenty of people here and on other forums were saying don't buy this on release. Unfortunately gamers need to understand not only the product they are buying but who the developer and publisher are and their pedigree / past performance.

It's been said time and time again. Those of us paying sub $20 for these titles fully patched really thank all of you for beta testing. It's just really unfortunate (with complete sincerity) that you're paying $60 plus tax or even more via Collectors Editions to do so.

Owzers

i sold my ps3 version 14 hours into it and am now 20-30 hours into the 360 version.

This was a good decision even though i'm looking forward to the texture loading patch.

Cruzader

Banned
Here's why Bethesda didn't catch this big:

They didn't give a fuck.

Hopefully that clears some things up.

I agree with this and Y2Kev. Why are they ignoring this on the 3rd game? They know this shit is on the PS3 builds/engine. Why not fix the damn thing and move on to avoid it on future games?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WillyWonkaYouMustBeNewToPS3BethGames.jpg

Happened with Fallout with Swords. Happened with Oblivion with Guns 3. Happened with OwG3:NV. Happens here. Why people continue to support Beth on PS3 when the GotY versions are even fucking worse than the base release, I dunno. But I learned my lesson fast and I have to shake my head at people that continue to support them.

Sucks for you OP, but the only thing you can really do is return the game because Beth simply does not give a fuck about PS3 owners. The only time they fixed something was OwG3's PSN notification freezes. :/

Only stalled on me initially and crashed once during
the first official fight with the dragon outside of whiterun, game died right before I got my shout
. Haven't had any issues since but I disabled auto save to get a pretty good framerate right after that. Doesn't bother me since I've been doing that with most bethesda games post Morrowind.

Also like most ps3 users I can attest to a lot of ps3 games having issues but I guess I look at like this; most dev's are damned if they do damned if they don't. It's no secret Sony dropped the ball when focusing on software for the ps3. What would you rather have a dev do; Not release a game at all ala valve prior to portal 2 and be villanized by the ps3 fans or try to do the best they can with the ps3 architecture and release a game with the skillsets they have?

I'm not trying to make excuses for Bethesda but that has always been a thought I've had when it comes to certain multiplat games for the ps3.

Does this happen on the 360 too?
Not really. Outside of the texture patch that's coming 360 users don't experience the dip in framerate and lag that the ps3 version suffers from. Or so I've been told.

lupinko

Only stalled on me initially and crashed once during
the first official fight with the dragon outside of whiterun, game died right before I got my shout
. Haven't had any issues since but I disabled auto save to get a pretty good framerate right after that. Doesn't bother me since I've been doing that with most bethesda games post Morrowind.

Also like most ps3 users I can attest to a lot of ps3 games having issues but I guess I look at like this; most dev's are damned if they do damned if they don't. It's no secret Sony dropped the ball when focusing on software for the ps3. What would you rather have a dev do; Not release a game at all ala valve prior to portal 2 and be villanized by the ps3 fans or try to do the best they can with the ps3 architecture and release a game with the skillsets they have?

I'm not trying to make excuses for Bethesda but that has always been a thought I've had when it comes to certain multiplat games for the ps3.

Not really. Outside of the texture patch that's coming 360 users don't experience the dip in framerate and lag that the ps3 version suffers from. Or so I've been told.

Looks like for the past few years it's just been a Bethesda thing, ok there was the Platinum Games laziness/Sega hackjob of Bayo but w/e.

Kurdel

Banned
It is truly a technical piece of shit on the PS3.

I am at level 32 and it is unplayable. I am sure my shitty 2009 MacBook pro can run this game better than my PS3. Solid 15 FPS would be a luxury at this point.

frequency

Good (?) to know I'm not alone in this. When we were talking about it in the console performance thread, most people didn't seem to care or the concerns were brushed off and so discussion died off.

Every time I hear games press people talk about how great and awesome and the bestest game ever Skyrim is, I get sad. No one has addressed this.
Which I guess I should have expected. No one in the press seems to play games on the PS3 unless it's an exclusive.

The 360 texture issue was a big deal though!
PS3 version becoming unplayable? Not worth mentioning.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, I am so glad I bailed out of the PS3 version and grabbed the PC version. What in the world was I thinking before. Even the limited amount of mods available now makes it worth it.

Loxley

10/10.

Game of the Year.

The most critically praised game release of 2011.

Well, when the game actually does work, Skyrim earns all the praise it gets.

Since the majority of reviewers were likely given either 360 or PC copies of the game off which to base their reviews, so I don't really understand the point in whining about many of them not pointing out serious technical hitches like this when it's very likely they never had them. I think the majority of the major outlets would have mentioned it if the game was goddamn unplayable at certain points; it's pretty clear not many of them played the PS3 version :/

The PC your typing from, how good is it?

Trust me i know you said its not powerfull enough but i'd advise you to invest in it.

This is a ridiculous reply to this thread. The PS3 version should not have this problem. That is all that needs to be said.

I love Skyrim so much, but it's really shitty that they pushed the game out like this. There is just no way they weren't aware of this shit. No way.

Yeah they knew. Probably just didn't care. They thought the suckers will buy it anyways.

If it was a simple thing to fix, they also probably would have fixed it. I bet it's a consequence of spaghetti code. They might not know how to unfuck the PS3 version without going back to square one. Which has no chance of happening.

I could never contemplate playing a TES game on console. But the game should run, even if it has to drop frames and look ugly, without these ridiculous game breaking bugs. They make enough profit, there isn't much excuse. They have no pride in their work. Or are only at a 2007 level of familiarity with PS3 development. Which means they should have hired help to port it to PS3.

snap0212

I feel for you guys, but is there actually any reason to complain? Gamers have shown that they don't give a crap, that they'll buy regardless. Bethesda have shown they don't give a crap either. Critics have made it clear that they're not willing to call companies out for that and the fact that some people seem to just accept horrible QA simply because a game is really complex is also known.

It's incredibly shitty and they shouldn't be allowed to release a broken game, but I'm wondering why anyone thought everything would be fine this time around.

Vamphuntr

My favorite is the inventory item named "DO NOT DELETE" that looks like a chest.

I'm sure the game was a complete bear to test, but some of this stuff is ridiculous.

(PC version with just a few texture mods looks pretty sweet already...)

Haha

Something similar happened with my 360 copy of DA Awakening. It imported a bunch of items from my DAO save that weren't in the expansion so my inventory was filled with ITEM_0233598 and such.

It's shoddy QA in both cases when you have stuff like that.

Hopefully they patch the ps3 version but don't bank on it. Both Fallout games still suffer from this and have yet to be patched.

farnham

Banned
i could have told you beforehand

ps3 versions of bethesda games were mostly horrible (oblivion was okay due to 1 year delay)

FyreWulff

Given that Fallout 3 GOTY & FO: New Vegas did the same fucking thing, me thinks they neither care nor can they fix it. They have your money. Happy Thanksgiving.

You could also end up with an unloadable save file in Morrowind OXbox if you didn't remember to dispose every corpse.

highrider

Banned
i have the game on ps3 and i guess i have about 15 hours in now with no problems. pretty torn, because i love the game, but it sounds like it just falls apart as you get further in. i think i'll put it on the back burner and play something else until it gets fixed. 360 and pc are not an option for me. lame.

Kogepan

i have the game on ps3 and i guess i have about 15 hours in now with no problems. pretty torn, because i love the game, but it sounds like it just falls apart as you get further in. i think i'll put it on the back burner and play something else until it gets fixed. 360 and pc are not an option for me. lame.

glad I followed the suggestion to wait for the GOTY version christmas 2012. Alot of people pretty warned that these issues were common with Bethesda so you had to see this coming.

stupei

11/11/11 only comes around once in a lifetime. What did you expect them to do, delay the game to polish more? Insanity!

just saw the youtube vid ..it's like playing it on pc with a voodoo 3dfx..
i just don't understand how this bug of saves file wasn't caught during PS3 testing ..

it's game breaking and it seems it's pretty easy to trigger ..something during PS3 quality check failed...

branny

I have like 50 hours on my PS3 save, and it got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore.

Since I'm impatient and just wanted to play the game, I bought the 360 version just to avoid performance problems. I wasn't expecting the differences to be so noticeable. Comparing them side by side is ridiculous. I can't believe it. I still haven't caught up to my original playthrough, but, as of now, the performance is nicer, saving is much quicker, and everything looks sharper and far more detailed. :(

Fur skins on walls actually look like fur now. Sharper specular highlights on water (and everything else, actually) make it look more realistic. Stuff like shrubbery looks way better up close, and textures on things like walls and floors remain detailed at farther distances. Hay, spider webs--everything. I didn't even notice that spider webs had a sheen on them in the PS3 version or that hay stacks have little pieces of hay poking out of them. Every time I enter some new area I feel like I'm being assaulted by texture fidelity. Shadows are better, too. They don't spaz out when you simply rotate the camera anymore. They lack the really obvious "combing" when getting closer to them like on the PS3 version (walking up to the tree in Whiterun was like the Dreamcast all over again). They're a lot less jaggy, too. God damn it. :(((

J-Rzez

Don't think for a single moment that you won't be pulling your hair out while playing on the PC, as it's riddled with bugs as well. I'm sure the 360 is no different as well. We all should have learned by now this gen that "game critics" actually means "advertisement", thus why these bugs which are blatantly obvious were not brought up, and considering how many game breaking issues there are it would have surely impacted it's ratings. Shame on me, but I can assure bethesda they will not be getting my money on their next game until they show that they care about the consumer, or hell, even their reputation as a developer.

They've probably became my least favorite developer now because of this debacle. And people want them to make a full-fledged MMO? LOL.

just saw the youtube vid ..it's like playing it on pc with a voodoo 3dfx..
i just don't understand how this bug of saves file wasn't caught during PS3 testing ..

it's game breaking and it seems it's pretty easy to trigger ..something during PS3 quality check failed...

They HAVE to know that their engine isn't properly optimized on the PS3. There is no way this gets through testing. I just want to know what they think when they release this.

Playing on PS3 and it's still my GOTY. I have a save file that is 7mb and growing; getting some really bad framerate issues at times but it sort of fixes itself. Hoping this patch comes out soon. Bethesda really has shitty programmers.

Has anybody tried to start a new game and create a save file that is small then continue their original save on that new game save. If that makes sense. I seen that posted somewhere.

after seeing that Giant Bomb marathon i was interested in checking it out but i might have to place it on the back burner if the PS3 version is really that shitty (or get a PC one day).

Top Bottom