• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 version of Skyrim is unplayable

Whoa, just used the search function in GAF about my issues.

Any news on fixing this issue or what one can do to alleviate this issue?

Start a new game will completely fix the problems. Otherwise, just stop saving as much.

When I want to play, I just fast travel to dungeons because that is the only place where it doesn't lag.

I have exactly the same problem and it's a shame the only solution that kinda helps is to have only one single savefile and autosave turned off. But it's still far from perfect and completely unplayable at times. It's unacceptable.

botlite

I feel sorry for the PS3 sufferers and I hope the patch fixes these problems for you all. If not then it's time to start voting with your wallet in the future.

This has also been happening to me. I completed oblivion, F3 and FNV on my PS3 and never had this kind of issue. The framerate is steadily dropping the more I play the game. It is not as bad as the ones on the OP's video, but it is getting there. During dungeons it is barely noticeable but in cities or open areas it is unbearable. Rebooting the game at first helped, but not anymore.

I read around the Internet that this might be related to the savegame file, so I tried starting a new game to play a new character while I wait for a patch, but the issue is also present there.

Liethe

Like the OP, I also started playing on my PS3, hopeful that all the talk about Bethesda games on PS3 were just negativity. Surely they'd do it better for this, their biggest game yet, I thought. Turns out they did not. Surprise.

Luckily for me, I didn't get terribly far in my game on the PS3 before I started seeing the pattern. (The video on the first post's link is atrocious.) I had the game completely freeze my PS3 4 times before I thought enough was enough, and I returned my PS3 copy to the store I bought it from.

Since then I have been playing the PC version and finished the main story yesterday with my character at level 34 and with much of the prominent questlines done. (still need to do dark brotherhood which I had been saving for last.)

Suffice to say, the experience is alarmingly different on the PC and I can't imagine how the PS3 version got shipped in this state. It is wretched when compared to the PC and even the 360 versions, and it turns my stomach to imagine people paying 60 bucks for it. I was one of them.

Never again. :p

It's taking about 30 seconds for the click through screen on my copy to load when you first load the game, and about one minute to load the last save.

Bethesda has shown that they don't care over the years, but people still buy their stuff at every release. I'm not blaming the people who bought the PS3 version but its par for the course.

I don't trust Bethesda games on PS3. Fallout 3 had the same issue with me when I got to a certain file size it started chugging really bad. I was not surprised one bit when I started hearing reports about the game lagging after you hit a 8 meg save file. Maybe they should just drop the whole thing that once and enemy is dead he stays dead forever in the land. Seems to cause a lot of problems.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
To be fair the game runs perfect on my pc, I don't see the point on playing a game like skyrim on a console in the first place.

Well, when the game actually does work, Skyrim earns all the praise it gets.

Since the majority of reviewers were likely given either 360 or PC copies of the game off which to base their reviews, so I don't really understand the point in whining about many of them not pointing out serious technical hitches like this when it's very likely they never had them. I think the majority of the major outlets would have mentioned it if the game was goddamn unplayable at certain points; it's pretty clear not many of them played the PS3 version :/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim

Anteater

i could have told you beforehand

ps3 versions of bethesda games were mostly horrible (oblivion was okay due to 1 year delay)

To be fair, before people started hitting the 20hrs mark, there were positive feedbacks saying both versions to be quite equal and people should pick whatever version that's comfortable for them, I remember reading them on gaf.

Some say the ps3 version looks better because the 360 had texture bugs, I remember someone says he experienced no severe slowdowns at all, and that the ps3 blurry pics were only texture bugs, etc.

Heck there were some that experienced no severe slowdowns and saying it's just bullshit:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=32658298&postcount=450

Edit: Reading the thread some more, yea it's actually got pretty positive early impressions, one say it's stutter free on the ps3 with no noticeable dip in frame rate. :(

NinjaBoiX

Here's why Bethesda didn't catch this big:

They didn't give a fuck.

Hopefully that clears some things up.
Yeah, a game as deep, rich and complex as Skyrim is definitely the result of a developer who "doesn't give a fuck". Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt. Game is barely shovelware.

But seriously, it is a horrendous fault to have, and Bethesda should've fixed it before release. But to say they don't give a fuck? Come on now.

Limanima

To be fair the game runs perfect on my pc, I don't see the point on playing a game like skyrim on a console in the first place.

Hum...Why not?

I think this is really shamefull because the bug is easy to detect. It's impossible they didn't know about the issue.
And there wasn't a single reviewered that detected the issue? Nice revieweres we have. How can this guys been giving 10s to this game if they played it less then 20 hours?

Oblivion had a bug also that made it impossible to recover from being a vampire and that sucked because being a vampire the entire game was a pain. This bug made me quit playing the game. I reported this to Bethesda and they didn't give a fuck about it.

Souther

Banned
Well I Have logged in 93 hours so far on the PS3 version and It's still more than playable.

Sometimes the frame rate gets a lil choppy but thats usually when I play for like more than 8 hours at a time as I was when I first got it. And this is on a original 20gig model.

I noticed It creates alot of "Auto saves" but I just turned it off so it only saves every 15 mins like you can in the menu screen. Therefore it only saves then and only then.

Atruvius

My save file 11mb and 38h played. I have notice effects lag. As in I shout the marked for death shout and it doesn't affect them immediately. They get the purple glow but don't receive more damage. Also bows have death lag. I shoot the finishing blow on saber tooth tiger, I hear the arrow hit him but no arrow flies. Then a second later I see blood splatter and the tiger goes down. This happens even when the framerate is running smoothly.

I have also noticed that my arrows' fly shorter distance than before. When I started I never pulled the bow string back and arrows flew great lengths. Now I have to pull it all the way back for them to fly anywhere.

The whole "Skyrim is open world, It's allowed to have bugs" is such a bullshit excuse, I really don't understand why people are defending Skyrim's buggy, half-assed release.

I'm playing on the Xbox, One city is pretty much blocked off for me due to a game breaking glitch which hasn't been acknowledged by Bethesda at all.

If it was any other company...

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I understand what you are saying, and I am looking into upgrading my PC in the future.

The point is that companies should be held accountable for releasing broken games, and shouldn't get away with patching it weeks later and everything being hunky-dory.

Attention should be brought to this and Bethesda should be thoroughly ashamed. I'm sure their egos are pumped up due to all the great press Skyrim is getting (deservedly so IMO), but this shouldn't slip through the cracks.

I dunno how anyone can say Bethesda an amazing and top of the crop gaming company when they do things like that.

Number45

I feel sorry for the PS3 sufferers and I hope the patch fixes these problems for you all. If not then it's time to start voting with your wallet in the future.

Their attention to the PS3 has been poor in the past, so I decided to wait this time (I want Skyrim so much). Glad I did, I'll wait for patch and DLC announcements and feedback.

Trevelyon

I found killing all auto-saves, having only one save on the XMB and restarting my game every 1-2 hours seems to have helped with the horrible frame drops and crunching performances in the open world areas, clearly not ideal, but it does help.

I still find the dungeons to be relatively issue free, even with a 14mb save and hours of play in a single session. Just open world travel and city travel can be brizzutal, but I discovered a lot of the world very early, so I use fast travel for almost everything.

krioto

Interesting - I had real issues when the save file was between 8-9MB. However, it's now up to 11MB and most problems are gone. I do have some minor stuttering in Whiterun, but I suppose I'm now used to it (75 hours played).

However - I now never save in 'Skyrim' - always save inside a building or dungeon. Don't know if it helps, but I am having far less issues than before.

Hope the patch comes out soon though.

I find the games framerate to be very erratic even on PC. Areas which seem similar to others with a good framerate are a choppy mess.

Sinoox

Banned
Yeesh that's awful, I'm sure they'll fix it...eventually -_-

Though you should really be able to return games because of reasons like this.

I find the games framerate to be very erratic even on PC. Areas which seem similar to others with a good framerate are a choppy mess.

I know what you mean, but for myself the FPS drop isn't so bad that I can't play the game. And there's all those options to tweak and mess around with to get it working better, PS3 users don't have that. Bethesda definitely has some improvement to do, but who wasn't expecting that?

Cyborg

Millions of pPS3-gmaers bought this game.
So...we bought an unfinished product. We paid a full price for something that is broken.

Aaron

Riften is the only place in the game I have a problem with the framerate on PC. It's terrible there.

I can make some excuses for bugs in a game as large as Skyrim, but they shouldn't have released the PS3 version in its current state. They're ripping people off, and at the very least they should make good with some free DLC over and above a patch to fix the problem.

It's mind-boggling reading how many people are having problems with this game.

I'm so glad I stopped caring about Bethesda games after Fallout 3.

It sucks for all the people that invested their money and all this time in the game so far and they are now left with a mess they can do nothing with.

Fix this shit, BS!!!

Sinoox

Banned
Riften is the only place in the game I have a problem with the framerate on PC. It's terrible there.

That might have something to do with the npcs; they gather up in that tiny place. I OCd my CPU 20% (3.6ghz) and it doesn't drop below 30fps now (use to be like 20fps).

Once again my ps3 copy has only had two noticeable issues. Let me also add that I'm only 14 hours in at the moment and most issues really seem to begin around the 20 hour mark based on the post here. I'm also still rocking a ps3 phat, not sure if that makes a difference. I will say this though, I have a pc that can run skyrim pretty easily. I skipped on the pc version because I had some trade in's and ended up getting the game for 25 bucks. If I do have some major issues I have no problem double dipping on this game if need be. Would be the 3rd game I've double dipped on this gen. Other two were Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead.

Raist

Banned
Every single Bethesda game on consoles has been a giant clusterfuck. I don't know why people keep buying them.

-PXG-

I would have disagreed with you a couple of days ago, but not now.

I was quite impressed with how well it ran on my 360. But seeing it on my new PC....the difference is night and day. I haven't even installed any mods yet.

Jaeyden

I have $180.00 worth of Bethesda games that I have not and probably will not ever finish because of their fucking bugs. It's bullshit. Never again...seriously. Never again.

Learned my lesson with Fallout:NV. Thanks to all the other great games that have been released recently (mostly Dark Souls), I definitely don't miss another buggy, unplayable, POS release from Bethesda.
I will not be buying any of their games on PS3 anymore. For me their reputation is beyond repair. I was really looking forward to Skyrim too. :(

Once again my ps3 copy has only had two noticeable issues. Let me also add that I'm only 14 hours in at the moment and most issues really seem to begin around the 20 hour mark based on the post here. I'm also still rocking a ps3 phat, not sure if that makes a difference. I will say this though, I have a pc that can run skyrim pretty easily. I skipped on the pc version because I had some trade in's and ended up getting the game for 25 bucks. If I do have some major issues I have no problem double dipping on this game if need be. Would be the 3rd game I've double dipped on this gen. Other two were Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead.

Man, if you have a PC thats capable to play Skyrim and a 360 controller, you really should've just boned up and went with the PC version. Whether it be Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas or Skyrim, I've never had the terrible game breaking bugs that I've heard people on consoles have had. The worst bug I've seen in a PC version of a Bethesda game is that in New Vegas theres one part where a faction turned on me for no reason.

snap0212

I agree. I also don't get the point of living if you're not wealthy. Probably has something to do with me being unable to understand that different people want different things in life. Maybe it's the same with gaming and people are just trying to get the most enjoyment out of the things they have access to.

I found killing all auto-saves, having only one save on the XMB and restarting my game every 1-2 hours seems to have helped with the horrible frame drops and crunching performances in the open world areas, clearly not ideal, but it does help.

I still find the dungeons to be relatively issue free, even with a 14mb save and hours of play in a single session. Just open world travel and city travel can be brizzutal, but I discovered a lot of the world very early, so I use fast travel for almost everything.

pretty much how i got thru fallout goty. afa world travel, stopping & allowing new areas to load before moving on also helped lots. made for some slow trips, but, hey :) ...

PC only Bethesda game player here.

That really sucks that these are doing this on consoles, they trumpeted how consoles are 90% of their market and they put out this kinda shit? Should be ashamed of themselves. At least on pc the end user is able to fix their glitchy ass shit most of the time (and im just talking patches, not even MODS).

New Vegas got ripped a new one for bugs, but Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim all got free passes it seems from reviewers. It'd be sad if it wasn't so obvious.

theDeeDubs

I'm about 61 hours in and level 51 and haven't had any of these problems yet besides from a few glitchy quests and one freeze on the PS3 version. I did disable all autosaves when I was about 40 hours in to try and keep this problem from happening and it has been smooth sailing since. I put in over 100 hours and plat'd New Vegas and never had that issue either. I don't know what I'm doing differently :(. I did have tons of problems with Fallout 3 though. It was practically unplayable for me.

PC only Bethesda game player here.

That really sucks that these are doing this on consoles, they trumpeted how consoles are 90% of their market and they put out this kinda shit? Should be ashamed of themselves. At least on pc the end user is able to fix their glitchy ass shit most of the time (and im just talking patches, not even MODS).

New Vegas got ripped a new one for bugs, but Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim all got free passes it seems from reviewers. It'd be sad if it wasn't so obvious.

Yeah, The gaming community recently seems willing to eat shit if it comes from Bethesda/Valve/Blizzard

I played through quite a lot of Fallout 3 and even though I really dislike stuttering and bad framerates I got it for very cheap so... It wasn't that bad either, and Skyrim looks like doesn't have as much aliasing at the expense of clarity and, well, draw distance :/

So yeah, when I start my playthrough on PS3 (not much choice here, is what Bethesda sent), first thing I'll do is turn off autosaves and pray to God it doesn't run at 15fps after 15 hours.

What I don't get is why the sent a PS3 copy for review :/

Man, if you have a PC thats capable to play Skyrim and a 360 controller, you really should've just boned up and went with the PC version. Whether it be Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas or Skyrim, I've never had the terrible game breaking bugs that I've heard people on consoles have had. The worst bug I've seen in a PC version of a Bethesda game is that in New Vegas theres one part where a faction turned on me for no reason.

I know. Believe me I know, but at the time I still needed to get some Christmas shopping out the way for my kids and wife and I didn't want to wait till the first of year when I usually spoil myself to get Skyrim.

Pranay

Many Gamers have bought the game on PS3 and paid 60$ for it.

Bethesda should not be given a free pass for this.

Big-E

I bought Oblivion for PS3 because I didn't have a capable PC at the time and had no 360. I don't remember this issue occurring there but that was a long time ago.

Number45

I bought Oblivion for PS3 because I didn't have a capable PC at the time and had no 360. I don't remember this issue occurring there but that was a long time ago.

As it turns out, that's one of the few occasions where outsourcing actually worked out better for PS3 owners. Oblivion on PS3 was great performance wise.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Unacceptable, especially for a game where you put so many hours in. I hope this won't happen to me. There are enough fucking bugs as it is:

1- Crashes
2- Terrible pathfinding for AI, who can't even figure out how to go around the simplest things.
3- Generic quest bugs.
Don't have resources to fix it? lol, they are making a lot of money with all of their releases, it's 100% unjustifiable.
All bugs on the PC version too. Not even mods have fixed those yet and there are a few more exclusive bugs like CTD's.

Well, I've skipped New Vegas because of this, and I guess I'll be skipping Skyrim too.

This is absolutely unacceptable.
Even with those bugs (on PC), it's still the best game this year. I would only put The Witcher 2 next to it on my list.

Man, I am so glad I bailed out of the PS3 version and grabbed the PC version. What in the world was I thinking before. Even the limited amount of mods available now makes it worth it.
I'm sure anyone with even a mid-low end machine can run this. Take a look at this. Playable and he hasn't even toned down particles or anything in the ini. If that's on a garbage integrated Intel GPU then anyone with a 4 year old GPU (or less) should get the PC. Screw stupid achievements/trophies.

I'm quite frustrated at the bugs on PC. Even though it's the best version by miles, it's still got some unacceptable issues. But as I said, this is the best game I've played this year. I'm about 24 hours in and I've only hit up like 30% of the map (I mean I just got to Solitude as I've been busy with sidequests and other stuff). If anything, this is the best artistic ES game yet. It's simply breathtaking nearly all the time.

I have $180.00 worth of Bethesda games that I have not and probably will not ever finish because of their fucking bugs. It's bullshit. Never again...seriously. Never again.
I expect better of of you (or anyone else). And you got them on PC right? Like I said, that version is not without it's unique flaws (CTD's) BUT it's still playable beyond the consoles thanks to some nifty community fixes which are not hard to implement. And oh yea, mods. I remember Fallout 3 being buggier than this though.

This is what I find really interesting.

Maybe most reviewers that were multiplat reviewed it on PC or something else. Bugs and all, best game this year is the best.

It does make you appreciate the top tech dogs like ND but they also aren't building huge expansive RPG's like this. Considering that, and the bevy of awesome things on the PC side (mods, creation kit, command console FTW), it's pretty impressive. Typical Beth bugs like quest breaks (dependent on what kind of things you got going on) are there but are fixable to an extent. I put it in my PC thread but for instance, if you change the timescale to a 1:1 ratio (full 24hours cycle) it can break certain quests. Simply changing it to the default to finish that quest fixes the issue. It's not as common but as I said, even on PC it's fixable.

watership

Nothing wrong with them on consoles (for some of us). I've enjoyed Oblivion, FO 3, New Vegas (if that counts) and now Skyrim just fine on 360.

Compared to previous Bethesda games, Skyrim rums smooth as silk on 360. I'm assuming those who are upset are ps3 only owners. Anyone who has both consoles should know by now that Bethesda games and the ps3 can be a dicey thing. I do remember some pre-release thread here saying that the ps3 version was better, so that may have led some to 'believe'.

Number45

Compared to previous Bethesda games, Skyrim rums smooth as silk on 360. I'm assuming those who are upset are ps3 only owners. Anyone who has both consoles should know by now that Bethesda games and the ps3 can be a dicey thing. I do remember some pre-release thread here saying that the ps3 version was better, so that may have led some to 'believe'.

This isn't really the point. That there are better alternatives out there is a given, the fact they've released a game that has a high chance of becoming almost unplayable is unforgivable - a simple playthrough of the game (they should have done hundreds) should have been enough to show the problem.

If they did this, perhaps they can share how they managed it without experiencing the problems that so many PS3 owners are complaining about?

Top Bottom