• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Napster Coming To Wii U In Europe

Stevey

Questioned this above but I think this might confirm it. Thanks for the link. Naspter as a brand is still used in Europe. In the US or just North America at large it isn't but instead it's called Rhapsody. That's why this might appear strange to people.
Yeah, this is strange to me in the UK.
Napster was years ago.

Damn, where is that dancing baby GIF when you need it..

wg15JPM.gif

Accoun

I can speak as European and for the 99% of the Europeans, this is still strange.

The only times I heard about Rhapsody was when I was reading about Napster since I was curious how it ended up and when it apparently forced the Power Metal band Rhapsody to change their name.

But yeah Rhapsody/Napster is basically non-existent here AFAIK. I had no idea they use the old trademark, even though I'm European.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I.... I didn't know Napster was still a thing.

Next thing you'll tell me Kazaa and Limewire are still running (seriously though, I thought Napster was done after about 2001ish).

Good that Wii U is getting more apps though.

system_of_a_down_legend_of_zelda.mp3

Holy shit, i thought I would never see the name of this archieve again.

I remember having that shit on an old mp3 player.

Questioned this above but I think this might confirm it. Thanks for the link. Naspter as a brand is still used in Europe. In the US or just North America at large it isn't but instead it's called Rhapsody. That's why this might appear strange to people.

What europe? If Napster still exists nobody in europe uses it.

Maybe east europe can shed some light on this? Because west europe certainly cant.

MFishy

Banned
It is a spotify competitor now ?

Weird

I dont understand why people credit Spotify with music streaming. Napster has been a legit music streaming service since, what, 2004?

The only thing Spotify introduced was a free ad-tier.

Personally, Rhapsody on Wii U, also around since like 2004, would benefit my living room. I find their software to be much less buggy than Spotify, although I wish they did year end stats like Spotify does

whatyearisthis.jpg

To be quite honest though, today's Napster is nothing at all like the Napster from 15 years ago.

To react normally to that news:
It's interesting that this is actually happening.
Sadly Napster isn't like Spotify where streaming (with ads) is actually free.
If that'd be the case I would've been really surprised that Nintendo countered Sony's Spotify exclusivity so fast. Like it is now, it's nice to have, but nothing ground breaking.

GavinUK86

After hearing that name I had to see if MySpace was still alive..... it is.

I hope the WiiU can support the K-Lite Codec Pack though, audio might be a little bit fuzzy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
With Ninja Scooters massive scoop, I do wonder how long this mega deal took to finally take shape. You can't just make waves on announcements like this without signing back breaking NDA's.

Ninja, now that we are free to talk about the cataclysmic event, how were you able to keep tight lipped without going to The Sun or a giant conglomerate like DailyRadar?

Top Bottom