• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 |OT| CC2 Doing Pierrot's Work

Rush_Khan

3) Lastly the secret factors in this game seemed way too easy to obtain. iirc, in previous storms, you needed a lot more stars from correct/quick QTE inputs to obtain these. But now they give you so many more stars than you actually need, which felt like the QTE's were pointless once you've filled your star meter.

I agree but this is kind of offset by the increased difficulty in attaining an S Rank in Story mode.

hows the game? i thought i had pre-ordered this but it turns it was Arslan 's game the one shipped from Amazon. still two weeks to decide and get that sweet 20% off on amazon

any inputs would be appreciated (more on the SP side of things if possible)

How do you unlock characters in free mode?

You mentioned money, you buy them?
No buying, it just unlocks as you accrue ryo. You can basically grind for an hour and unlock supposedly. Rin unlocks automatically at around 1.5 million ryo and you get around 20000 for winning a fight. So I am planning on just setting up the fights so they are winnable in around 8 seconds.

jorgejjvr

How is the Online matchmaking for the Ps4 going? Connection issues?

It's been fine for me, no problems

Regarding the counter

I thought it was too Op before, right?

Thank you for letting me know about the ryu

Feel free to add me if you play on ps4 -

jorgejjvr

moving

Neo Member
Can't wait to pick this up on PS4, current anime filler is a killer so hoping this fills the gap in the meantime.

Also, what's the max. res. this can be played on PC? I'm looking for some super high res. captures of the opening video (when the character screens show up), thinking of getting some prints or something so need as high as possible.

cyrok

It's been fine for me, no problems

Regarding the counter

I thought it was too Op before, right?

Thank you for letting me know about the ryu

Feel free to add me if you play on ps4 -

jorgejjvr

At the beginning of release yes but now its works great.

Awesome thanks guys. That solidfied my preorder pick up. Otherwise I would have just waited til the bargin bin to pick it up if the online was broken.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, sadly, most of it isn't real time, its prerendered videos of in-engine footage, which is such a terrible decision. The videos have terrible IQ with bad compression, and nothing they show justifies using them instead of actual real time renders. None of them seem as half as demanding as many of the boas fights so its just an all around mibd boggling decision.

Eh...? That makes no sense...when has CC2 ever used prerecorded footage for Naruto cutscenes?!

hutna

At the beginning of release yes but now its works great.

I still get game crashes when searching for players. Also about half the time it doesn't connect. When it does half of those times there is too much lag to play properly.

So it hasn't been great for me so far...

I do not like how the counter was nerfed I feel like it's pointless to use now.
I think you may literally be the only one...

I'm surprised they didn't get rid of it comlletely. It's still annoying even in its current form. If a player runs out of substitutions they shouldn't have any way to protect themself other than smart defense. The counter provides and easy and mindless way for them to keep the opponent from capitalizing.

Revven

I got the game a day earlier (Amazon the GOAT) and started the story. To be honest, the "slideshow" cutscenes don't bother me that much but maybe that's because I already read this part in the manga so... it comes across as just the manga in color? (With some odd frames every now and then).

That said, I'm not sure what CC2 could have done because even if these were in-game cutscenes 80% of what takes place after the Prologue is literally "in the past" stuff or flashbacks. And many of those moments are conversational and/or "transition"-based where the scene changes from one to the next (like one moment, for instance, Kakashi & co. are planning and then they reach the end of their planning conversation) or another example of it would be going from that scene to them running in a forest for a very brief period.

How the heck do you make that an interesting in-game cutscene, let alone worth the time and effort or resources? In the past games those moments (at least the running in the forest) would be the "free roam" parts but with that removed from this how do they make a scene like that (
before they get ambushed
) remotely interesting or worth the time/effort/resources put in to make it an in-game cutscene?

Like, I get why you would want to have everything animated in-game because the game is beautiful and you know CC2 can do it but a lot of it, at least in the beginning of either Naruto's or Sasuke's paths, is frontloaded with "flashbacks". "Flashbacks" that in the manga/anime go on far longer than they do in this game (seriously good job CC2 on, so far, condensing that shit lmao).

But then I guess it stems from the cocktease at the beginning of Sasuke's path where it literally is an in-game cutscene but then once it fades to black it starts the "slideshows". CC2 could have easily continued from the in-game cutscene but it's clear from the moment it fades to black to do the "slideshow" that they cut corners with this game's story mode. Even if you try to argue what I'm saying, it's clear that they cut corners here.

That being said, if they continued on Storm 3's path (minus the "free roam" stuff) I still think this story would have been dragged on and on. I haven't played much of the story yet (only halfway through each path so about an hour and a half to two hours in) but that's the feeling I have -- that the "slideshows" aren't that bad and it moves the story along quicker because you're spending less time spamming the A button and watching the camera pan around and characters talking relatively either not very emotive (with their faces) or the conversation itself is no longer interesting because you read it in the manga.

But that's just me. Everyone's different and may enjoy seeing/hearing something again in CC2's engine and stuff.

the chris

Just picked up my pre-order from Best Buy and got my code for the pre-order DLC e-mailed to me only to find that it has already been used. Anybody have any issues like this with their pre-order codes?

Trigger

Really enjoying the effects in the more dramatic scenes. The game makes me wish we could get some kind of Naruto xenoverse style game. Such a rich setting.

Tried a few matches of multiplayer. I get blown up super hard. Finding substitution jutsu to be useless since enemies instantly hit me after I use it. The skill gap feels immense.

IzzyF3

Binge watched all of the nonfillers and finished it off with the last 2 volumes of manga. My copy will finally be here tomorrow!! So excited to experience the ending in Ultimate Ninja Storm fashion.

Oh, there are subtle improvements to older characters?

Definitely. For instance Sakura's tilt seems to have been nerfed but her speed has increased significantly.

Tried a few matches of multiplayer. I get blown up super hard. Finding substitution jutsu to be useless since enemies instantly hit me after I use it. The skill gap feels immense.

You need to conserve you subs, as once they have run out then the opponent will be able to combo you. Blocking, countering, dodging and use supports to have them back of, or chakra dash/attack before they do.

HiiiLife

Binge watched all of the nonfillers and finished it off with the last 2 volumes of manga. My copy will finally be here tomorrow!! So excited to experience the ending in Ultimate Ninja Storm fashion.

Is there a link you could provide with which ones are nonfiller? About how many episodes are cut out? I'd like to get into the series.

Mendrox

I got the game a day earlier (Amazon the GOAT) and started the story. To be honest, the "slideshow" cutscenes don't bother me that much but maybe that's because I already read this part in the manga so... it comes across as just the manga in color? (With some odd frames every now and then).

That said, I'm not sure what CC2 could have done because even if these were in-game cutscenes 80% of what takes place after the Prologue is literally "in the past" stuff or flashbacks. And many of those moments are conversational and/or "transition"-based where the scene changes from one to the next (like one moment, for instance, Kakashi & co. are planning and then they reach the end of their planning conversation) or another example of it would be going from that scene to them running in a forest for a very brief period.

How the heck do you make that an interesting in-game cutscene, let alone worth the time and effort or resources? In the past games those moments (at least the running in the forest) would be the "free roam" parts but with that removed from this how do they make a scene like that (
before they get ambushed
) remotely interesting or worth the time/effort/resources put in to make it an in-game cutscene?

Like, I get why you would want to have everything animated in-game because the game is beautiful and you know CC2 can do it but a lot of it, at least in the beginning of either Naruto's or Sasuke's paths, is frontloaded with "flashbacks". "Flashbacks" that in the manga/anime go on far longer than they do in this game (seriously good job CC2 on, so far, condensing that shit lmao).

But then I guess it stems from the cocktease at the beginning of Sasuke's path where it literally is an in-game cutscene but then once it fades to black it starts the "slideshows". CC2 could have easily continued from the in-game cutscene but it's clear from the moment it fades to black to do the "slideshow" that they cut corners with this game's story mode. Even if you try to argue what I'm saying, it's clear that they cut corners here.

That being said, if they continued on Storm 3's path (minus the "free roam" stuff) I still think this story would have been dragged on and on. I haven't played much of the story yet (only halfway through each path so about an hour and a half to two hours in) but that's the feeling I have -- that the "slideshows" aren't that bad and it moves the story along quicker because you're spending less time spamming the A button and watching the camera pan around and characters talking relatively either not very emotive (with their faces) or the conversation itself is no longer interesting because you read it in the manga.

But that's just me. Everyone's different and may enjoy seeing/hearing something again in CC2's engine and stuff.

Sorry but CC2 was just lazy. They could have easily done these scenes without these ugly anime scenes inbetween. The reason they haven't done this? Money and these scenes were already in the anime so... win/win for them. I want a game, not the ugly Pierrot anime which may go to hell. They were lazy enough with Generations and Revolution (which was reasonable because they weren't numbered games). It's just so disappointing :-/ Storm 2 is still the story goat

Revven

Sorry but CC2 was just lazy. They could have easily done these scenes without these ugly anime scenes inbetween. The reason they haven't done this? Money and these scenes were already in the anime so... win/win for them. I want a game, not the ugly Pierrot anime which may go to hell. They were lazy enough with Generations and Revolution (which was reasonable because they weren't numbered games). It's just so disappointing :-/ Storm 2 is still the story goat

I mean, I plainly stated in my post that it's obvious they cut corners (laziness isn't the right way to put it lol). I'm just saying that the slideshows don't bug me that much -- not that I literally prefer them to in-game cutscenes.

theWB27

Finished the story last night and I really don't see how the show will be able to top this game. Naruto vs sasuke was amazing.

Now time for some adventure mode.

Seik

Banned
I'm loving the game so far, just reached Madara
6 path

I'll probably finish the game tonight, They seem to have implanted boss battle mechanics in almost all the story fights, which is absolutely perfect and gives most fights some cachet. There are some fights that deserved more, like the first Kakashi vs Obito fight, but there are so many boss battle segments in the game that I just don't care. It's nothing near the offense I felt when I spotted Sasuke vs Danzo wasn't a boss fight in Storm 3.

I thought the slideshows from the anime were lame at first, but the way they added some animations to give these a bit more life kinda redeems it. The 3D story segments are long, accurate and on point, I'm digging it way more than Storm 3.

I wonder how I'll fare online though, I was killing it with Konan back then, but the mechanics seem to have changed a lot since Storm 2...

jorgejjvr

If you guys play online often, please add me, I would love some friendly competition :)

I'm usually playing later at night

Psn: jorgejjvr

EhoaVash

ok for all the flack i've given this game so far, I just got to the final chapter......I said WOW. that last battle has to be the prettiest looking thing I;ve seen so far this gen O_O

SOOO much amazing gifable stuff in the final battle.

jorgejjvr

ok for all the flack i've given this game so far, I just got to the final chapter......I said WOW. that last battle has to be the prettiest looking thing I;ve seen so far this gen O_O

Can't wait to see it when I get there

IzzyF3

Nice!! I just read the final chapters and I don't think the manga does the battles any favors. There's just too many things going on. Looking forward to Storm 4's take.

Top Bottom