• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 |OT| CC2 Doing Pierrot's Work

Pein

Banned
Add me you guys

NYC-arashi

small point and it seems trivial but I really liked team names from the older storm games, sucks that they got rid of it.

DedValve

Banned
So my friend who isn't a manga reader played it. And it confused the shit out of him. Yep this game was made for manga fans. I had to explain to him about the censored ending ...he didn't understand why their xxxxx were black ._.

Honestly they shouldn't have censored that

Naruto just got very hardcore. I'm glad they didn't show their xxx, just think of the children!

Or the adults. Ain't nobody wanna see that.
except tumblr

theWB27

I can't win an online match to save my life. I don't know what it is, but it seems like other people's chakra and (LT button) regenerates much faster than mine.

Not only that. I daze a person, press the buttons for a super and they snap out of it and dodge before it lands. It sometimes feels like different rules online.

People tend to spam chakra dash to get a full combo so counters do well. Guarding and dodging/sidestepping also work well.

How does countering work?

Depends, run and spam is my go to usually though lol.

use jutsu, use support justu, use jutsu, use support 2 jutsu. Its just to give me some breathing room.

Thats what I'm doing now lol

I can't win an online match to save my life. I don't know what it is, but it seems like other people's chakra and (LT button) regenerates much faster than mine.

Chakra assist supports?

How does countering work?

Guard+ square just before you get hit. It downs the opponent and sends them flying but you have to anticipate the attack because it leaves you wide open if you mistime it.

It doesnt do any damage and it cant be combo'd into normally(you kinda can but it requires tricky timing with character switching.) But its main purpose is to give you some breathing room and give you time to plan/charge chakra.

Revven

Finished the story, the last fight is definitely awesome and well worth getting to the end to see and play. Only thing I didn't like was...
how they censored Sasuke's and Naruto's arms when they're standing up -- it's so obviously just a black texture over their arms' models... When they're lying down at the end of the fight it looks just fine and works, it gets the point across. But standing up? Why didn't CC2 just like... I don't know, put bandages on their arms where it's cut off, since Sakura was healing them before that scene anyway? Yeah it wouldn't have been 1:1 to the manga but much of the ending isn't 100% 1:1 anyway. It'd have looked a lot less awkward, imo.

I could see where the anime could choose to differ in how it handles the fight but it'll be ridiculously tough to top it, if not impossible given Perriot's animation quality is so shit.

That aside, I enjoyed it! Now onto Adventure Mode and online stuff. Taking a break for the day though, haha.

NateDrake

Deidara is a cheap fuck. Played a match online against a Deidara and the guy spammed one attack the entire time. Clay snakes and birds. I couldn't get close to attack him.

Deidara is a cheap fuck. Played a match online against a Deidara and the guy spammed one attack the entire time. Clay snakes and birds. I couldn't get close to attack him.
All you have to do is just guard and then chakra dash at the right moment. Once you know how his square button pattern goes, you can beat them easy. Also, never sub his O attacks as they end early and barley do damage. He was basically only good in Storm 2.

Also, Jorge, I can play.

jorgejjvr

All you have to do is just guard and then chakra dash at the right moment. Once you know how his square button pattern goes, you can beat them easy. Also, never sub his O attacks as they end early and barley do damage. He was basically only good in Storm 2.

Also, Jorge, I can play.
Cool, sorry, just got on.

Invite again

Very tactical, and different way you play

I love it, smart

NateDrake

Also, Jorge, I can play.

Yeah. Being my first time against that character and being attacked spammed got me frustrated pretty fast and that threw me off quickly. Hope I battle that guy again soon and kick his ass.

Great games, Jorge. Have some stuff to do before sleep. You got better from the last time I faced you. Its so hard to get past your supports, haha. The game is fun at high level with all the mixups and such.

jorgejjvr

Great games, Jorge. Have some stuff to do before sleep. You got better from the last time I faced you. Its so hard to get past your supports, haha. The game is fun at high level with all the mixups and such.
Thanks man!

That means a lot, considering this is my first storm game, and you are darn good. I like to think I'm pretty good at fighting games in general, and I like to put in the time to get good. Matches against you really help me improve. I love how you are tactical with iruka, I had to stop and think for those games. The same goes with orochi and kabuto, great combo. I don't use leader switch yet, haven't found good ways to incorporate it, but you put it to good use.

All in all, definitely great games, it was so much fun being at the edge of my seat during our matches! We need to play more often

What's the general takeaway on the single player of this game? Length? How fun is it?

I was pretty big on Naruto my last few years of high school. Even imported Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 for the 'cube before I graduated -- and this was just before the series even got dubbed.

I fell off when I got to college the following year. Only ever saw up until Sasuke ran away, and kinda kept casual tabs about some of the bigger plot points along the way.

Grabbed Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 the week it launched for nostalgia and to break into Shippuden content a bit and thought it was pretty fantastic. Can I basically expect the same thing?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What's the general takeaway on the single player of this game? Length? How fun is it?

I was pretty big on Naruto my last few years of high school. Even imported Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 for the 'cube before I graduated -- and this was just before the series even got dubbed.

I fell off when I got to college the following year. Only ever saw up until Sasuke ran away, and kinda kept casual tabs about some of the bigger plot points along the way.

Grabbed Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 the week it launched for nostalgia and to break into Shippuden content a bit and thought it was pretty fantastic. Can I basically expect the same thing?

Yea. But i would play UNS3 atleast first, it covers the story from 2 to 4, and is pretty necessary to understanding whats going on.

Its about 12 hours and very fun. Some people have an issue with how the cut scenes are presented but its a YMMV situation.

Thanks man!

That means a lot, considering this is my first storm game, and you are darn good. I like to think I'm pretty good at fighting games in general, and I like to put in the time to get good. Matches against you really help me improve. I love how you are tactical with iruka, I had to stop and think for those games. The same goes with orochi and kabuto, great combo. I don't use leader switch yet, haven't found good ways to incorporate it, but you put it to good use.

All in all, definitely great games, it was so much fun being at the edge of my seat during our matches! We need to play more often
I know you were feeling a bit overwhelmed at first but how about now? Have you noticed the improvement I mentioned you would get over time?

Thanks man!

Yeah, switch is really vital in this game since you can do it off of anything. Canceling any jutsu as well is really good for some stuff as well. I'm even still learning some stuff with these two teams, since I'll only be using them. I just learned that Iruka had that little infinite that's really easy to do. :p

And, thanks man. Also, for sure! I should be able to play tomorrow/Sunday night.

jorgejjvr

I know you were feeling a bit overwhelmed at first but how about now? Have you noticed the improvement I mentioned you would get over time?
Indeed, I've gotten much better already in so little time
Yeah, switch is really vital in this game since you can do it off of anything. Canceling any jutsu as well is really good for some stuff as well. I'm even still learning some stuff with these two teams, since I'll only be using them. I just learned that Iruka had that little infinite that's really easy to do. :p

And, thanks man. Also, for sure! I should be able to play tomorrow/Sunday night.
Awesome, I should be able to play to hopefully

I hope you don't mind me posting some of my wins xD

https://youtu.be/7GmrMVEqpkk

https://youtu.be/P28oEUydp3E

I love danzo, I have to see if I find a backup team

Revven

Sort of... this game has a lot of anime "slideshow" cutscenes for much of the content the anime has covered in the final arc of the series (they still sprinkle some in-game cutscenes here and there between these slideshows of course). But once it gets past where the anime has covered it does what you'd expect it to do (beautiful animated cutscenes with awesome moments and etc etc).

If you haven't at least played Storm 3 you're probably going to be pretty lost, though. Or, if you're not familiar with what's taken place before where Storm 4 starts. You don't need to know everything but some characters have changed significantly since Storm 2 and much of that happens in Storm 3 (or the arcs Storm 3 covers).

So, unless you don't mind being a bit lost on what's going on and the background on some things and you don't mind what I said about the presentation of the story then pick it up. The anime "slideshows" don't ruin it too badly especially since there's still plenty of boss fights and really awesome in-game cutscenes anyway (they pretty much do all the important scenes as in-game cutscenes). You'd probably come away satisfied but it definitely isn't the exact same experience as Storm 2.

Fj0823

Man the Latin American dub has me all nostalgic. Dropped it as it took forever to get to Shippuden. But all voices besides Sakura's have lots of effort in them.

Guard+ square just before you get hit. It downs the opponent and sends them flying but you have to anticipate the attack because it leaves you wide open if you mistime it.

It doesnt do any damage and it cant be combo'd into normally(you kinda can but it requires tricky timing with character switching.) But its main purpose is to give you some breathing room and give you time to plan/charge chakra.

Thanks. Do you have any idea how subs regenerate? I know the more damage you do to an opponent, their subs come back quicker, but sometimes it feels inconsistent. If you leave them alone long enugh it comes back to full bar as well right?

I would recommend reading the manga. Its the best way to experience the actual story and it won't take long. The SP in this game is fun especially the set pieces.

slade

Finished the single player today. Overall, I'm satisfied. Mainly being an anime viewer and fed up with Studio Pierrot dragging their feet, this game brought a nice closure to the series. I had watched up to
Obito fusing with the Ten Tails and the subsequent fight with Naruto.
. It was not too long after that point where they overtook the anime and started with almost all in-game cutscenes.

I knew most of the major story notes since the manga has been done for a while now so just getting to see the last few fights in this form is fine with me. And the ending was done pretty well. Anyway, feels nice to finally see an end to one of these long running shounen series. Also, credits are worth watching for nostalgia alone as they cover scenes from the entire series.

Jheez I'm really struggling to get S rank on the fight just after the "Ninja dreams, lonely dreams" cutscene. Keep getting A's.

Any advise for those of you who have done it?

Thanks. Do you have any idea how subs regenerate? I know the more damage you do to an opponent, their subs come back quicker, but sometimes it feels inconsistent. If you leave them alone long enugh it comes back to full bar as well right?

Not too sure about the subs, they will eventually come back if you dont attack or sub(i think the bar refills after a set amount of time regardless of your actions). One thing to note though is if you sub whilst your sub bar is recharging it halts the refill process meaning you will have to wait a while before it starts charging again.

Just put up a video of a match i played. Added some commentary talking about what i was thinking/attempting to do during the match. Excuse the terrible mic quality.
Burn Out!

man their not playing with the S rank you bearly can get hit

really enjoying it though but the QTE sections feel quite lacking imo, got as far as the "alliance jutsu" on the ten tails

but at the moment the best QTE scenes are the opening battle Hirashima vs. Madara and another flashback of Obita and Kakashi vs. hidden earth ninjas

bidguy

Banned
yea the online mode on xbox one is not working at all ... i thought i was the one with issues but many other people cant find any match or only get red bar opponents... fucking shitshow this is the last fucking game from those devs im buying. incompetent shits

Not too sure about the subs, they will eventually come back if you dont attack or sub(i think the bar refills after a set amount of time regardless of your actions). One thing to note though is if you sub whilst your sub bar is recharging it halts the refill process meaning you will have to wait a while before it starts charging again.

Just put up a video of a match i played. Added some commentary talking about what i was thinking/attempting to do during the match. Excuse the terrible mic quality.
Burn Out!

I tried the countering, but I soon realised that it caps your chakra bar :eek:

man their not playing with the S rank you bearly can get hit

really enjoying it though but the QTE sections feel quite lacking imo, got as far as the "alliance jutsu" on the ten tails

but at the moment the best QTE scenes are the opening battle Hirashima vs. Madara and another flashback of Obita and Kakashi vs. hidden earth ninjas

You have many great moments to come.

So I preordered mine from Target, and it looks like I got a second pre-order DLC from Ameriward? Or at least when I put it in it showed me the same DLC icons. So if anyone jumped on board late and didn't get the pre-order DLC, claim it here and I'll PM it to you.

the chris

So I preordered mine from Target, and it looks like I got a second pre-order DLC from Ameriward? Or at least when I put it in it showed me the same DLC icons. So if anyone jumped on board late and didn't get the pre-order DLC, claim it here and I'll PM it to you.

Can I have it if it's for PS4, the pre-order code I got from Best Buy doesn't work.

jorgejjvr

I keep getting disconnected today, can't join people, people can't join me, can't find people and so on

Yeah.... Online is not working right now

SilentRob

That last battle was amazing and almost made up for the shit-show that was the first two thirds of the story mode.

Almost. I'm still incredibly disappointed by the presentation of those two thirds and it stings even more kowinghow much better it could have been by looking at the past games and the end of this game. I also really didn't enjoy the
"shooting" sections. They took way too long and I just didn't think the mechanics were fun enough to support, I think, three sections built around them

It obviously also suffered from the storyline being so focused on the whole Tobi/Madara/
Kaguya
-plot - which I realised I just didn't much care for when the last chapter was pretty much the first time I really got emotionally invested - but CC2 is not to fault for that one.

After I played a few hours with the adventure mode now I'm probably going to put the game down, since this mode doesn't seem to be anything but an easy way for CC2 to reuse assets they already had finished from previous games. Seems incredibly tacked on and unnecessary.

Awww I was looking forward to that after the story, how come?

Essentially a recap of story events using battles, there's nothing exclusive to that mode, and you can earn more ryo elsewhere. Its cool wondering around the locales though and I guess revisiting scenes from the past. Storywise its all filler that doesn't really get anywhere

Top Bottom