• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 |OT| CC2 Doing Pierrot's Work

jorgejjvr

How do you get stuff to edit your ninja info card? I don't have anything there yet

Also, I'm playing now if anyone is interested

Psn: jorgejjvr

Did anyone else feel that the story mode was cheapened by the use of pre-rendered in engine cutscenes?

I actually didn't mind the use of anime scenes nearly as much.

When the scenes were being rendered on the PS4 itself for the QTE sequences it was gorgeous, but the pre-rendered cutscenes had noticeable artifacts and lacked definition and vibrancy.

Phew, finished S-ranking entire story mode... some missions were kinda obnoxiously designed, like giant Kaguya can hit you while it's in cinematic, thus unavoidable damage, but it's thankfully quite rare.

If there's one fight CC2 absolutely nails it's Naruto vs. Sasuke. Every game they do it perfectly and the music playing in those fights is so emotional. Just listening to the Storm 4 track for their final battle and it just brings back so many memories of this franchise and everything the two of them have been through. So good.

DedValve

Banned
jesus christ I suck at this game so fucking much.

Every match bar 1 has left in absolute 2 stock defeat with the opponent over 70% of health no matter what character they are. I feel like I can't substitute on time or change characters during a combo and I get SO FUCKING FRUSTRATED.

No matter how much I play Smash Bros or Killer Instinct online (or even a game of halo) if I'm losing hard I at least feel like I'm having fun. Maybe its my shitty skills or the feeling that if I tap a button the game doesn't respond to what I want at that instant (whereas I don't have this problem in other online games) but shit I get so fucking mad.

Probably 20 battles. Only 1 win. Only 3 of them did I actually get 1 round on them.

Like fuck, I don't know why. And whats worse is the game AI is so balls easy they are no fun to play against. I feel outclassed no matter my search parameters or even hosting a game.

Revven

jesus christ I suck at this game so fucking much.

Every match bar 1 has left in absolute 2 stock defeat with the opponent over 70% of health no matter what character they are. I feel like I can't substitute on time or change characters during a combo and I get SO FUCKING FRUSTRATED.

No matter how much I play Smash Bros or Killer Instinct online (or even a game of halo) if I'm losing hard I at least feel like I'm having fun. Maybe its my shitty skills or the feeling that if I tap a button the game doesn't respond to what I want at that instant (whereas I don't have this problem in other online games) but shit I get so fucking mad.

Probably 20 battles. Only 1 win. Only 3 of them did I actually get 1 round on them.

Like fuck, I don't know why. And whats worse is the game AI is so balls easy they are no fun to play against. I feel outclassed no matter my search parameters or even hosting a game.

Part of it's probably because many of the people who play Storm have been playing it since 1 or 2 and the characters/gameplay have barely changed between each release. Thus, there's a ton of just really good players and well, the game is so easy to pick up and just play without really needing to learn much.

I haven't started playing online yet so I can't really give my own perspective on it but that's sort of what I figure is probably happening.

DedValve

Banned
Part of it's probably because many of the people who play Storm have been playing it since 1 or 2 and the characters/gameplay have barely changed between each release. Thus, there's a ton of just really good players and well, the game is so easy to pick up and just play without really needing to learn much.

I haven't started playing online yet so I can't really give my own perspective on it but that's sort of what I figure is probably happening.

I mean I guess that explains the overwhelming opponents but there's just something....frustrating. Maybe it is because I'm on a seemingly hopeless losing streak even if I take a break.

There are times...where me and the enemy are doing pretty good and it feels amazing. Hell there are times where I decide to do a rematch and try to read the opponent better and actually push them to their limit but...the moment that second stock happens its just me getting stomped. Again and again and again and again. Regardless of how many rematches or whatever.

And it just feels so frustrating.

And I sometimes go on a losing streak in other fighters. I'm super excited for SFV even though I know I'll probably get bodied by the time I pick it up. But I feel zero satisfaction unless I'm close to winning which is so extremely rare.

It probably is the skill gap being quite large but I was hoping we'd get a bunch of new players. This is my first time since Storm 2 going online since its no more deidera spam. And I'm glad the op characters aren't seemingly in here. I haven't really fought any akastuki, Obito, Madara, Naruto/Sasuke.

In regards to DedValve my brief history with online in this series back with Storm 2 and 3 mostly consisted of me getting wrecked.
A combination of clear imbalance between characters and my inability to explore the more advanced mechanics/tricks made for a combo that often led to my defeat, really I'm just not that good nor really motivated to bother seeing that sometimes you'll do great only to have certain awakenings just turn the tide in a hilariously ridiculous way.

To this day I'm still completely puzzled that after adding the limited substitutions (which I approve of) they decided it would be a good idea to allow that dash cancel trick which 95% of the time negates the point of subbing in a combo since you just get caught right back in the same situation.

I may briefly check out the online component when I resub PS plus but I'm not expecting much from myself, plus most of the characters I like are those introduced in Storm 2 that could really use a proper upgrade mechanically so I can't say I've got much more motivation, if there's one big issue I have with Storm 4 is that the amount of new characters is pretty dire.
Yeah I get we're at slim pickings now but I can still think of a few ideas, as it stands they mainly just blessed us with more Naruto, Sasuke and Obito forms....yaaaay.
Couldn't they have made my man Shikamaru actually interesting?

Skilletor

The final battle was amazing. So well done.

It was really cool, too, because my wife hasn't seen this part yet because anime is in filler mode, so seeing a fairly accurate representation of it was great.

lol @ Boruto and Sarada's Persona x Naruto team jutsu.

finished the story mode today, gotta S-rank the last two battles, the last battle(s) was very well done! better than the manga, actually makes me excited to watched the anime version(but lol it's still on fillers)

the only S-rank that really gave me trouble was the
fucking Madaras' flying Susano-o (just constantly fucking up) and the very last Kaguya battle

Slaythe

They don't even have the Sakura saving Sasuke scene, meh.

The final fight also ignored the most important part.

That Sasuke stole Naruto's chakra, and that the only reason Naruto took over is because Sasuke's sharingan turned off because he ran out of energy...

They don't even have the Sakura saving Sasuke scene, meh.

The final fight also ignored the most important part.

That Sasuke stole Naruto's chakra, and that the only reason Naruto took over is because Sasuke's sharingan turned off because he ran out of energy...

Or Sakura saving Naruto scene. Or Sasuke apologising to Sakura.
I'm more annoyed at how the final arc was severely shortened and Sasuke's intentions were not elaborated/dumbed down.

Slaythe

I'm a pretty experimented user.

If you want to have high level matches feel free to add me, I need to train.

PSN : Trayth

About half way done with the story. This game is so dope, I still don't know how part 2 ends. I don't mind the anime like cutscenes, the lip syncing was so bad in previous games I'll take this over that.

jorgejjvr

About half way done with the story. This game is so dope, I still don't know how part 2 ends. I don't mind the anime like cutscenes, the lip syncing was so bad in previous games I'll take this over that.
You are in for a ride at the end

Please let us know your impressions, would love to know what someone thinks not knowing how part two ends

You are in for a ride at the end

Please let us know your impressions, would love to know what someone thinks not knowing how part two ends
I pretty much got to the point in anime where the endless filled started to show up then I stopped watching. I did get spoiled regarding the pre order DLC on the future of team 7 (still pretty POd about that). So I essentially know what happens in the beginning of Part 3 but not anything inbetween part 2 and part 3.

Good god that
Madara vs Guy
fight was amazing. I was waiting months for that in the anime. It was so underwhelming in the anime but the game did the fight way better.

And what is with S ranks in this game? They are down right impossible on the boss battles. Practically need to keep health above 85% to get it.

Good god that
Madara vs Guy
fight was amazing. I was waiting months for that in the anime. It was so underwhelming in the anime but the game did the fight way better.

And what is with S ranks in this game? They are down right impossible on the boss battles. Practically need to keep health above 85% to get it.

Yeah the anime was such a disappointment.

Life is pain. Namco, you're just leaving money on the table.

People have spares and some are selling them online if you really want them. I still think they will be DLC down the line.

DedValve

Banned
Yeah I don't think I'm playing this online anymore. I simply can't.

Sometimes it feels like substitute is worthless when I get cancelled and sometimes no matter how much I mash L2 I don't substitute or if I guard apparently Ultimate jutsus don't care they'll get me anyways.

Hell I wouldn't be so disheartened if I felt like I was learning but jesus the amount of times I get 2 stocked while opponent is still in green.

I'll just fight with the AI endlessly with full handicap on their side so its some sort of challenge ;_;

These trainee's should be goddamn hokage level.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yeah I don't think I'm playing this online anymore. I simply can't.

Sometimes it feels like substitute is worthless when I get cancelled and sometimes no matter how much I mash L2 I don't substitute or if I guard apparently Ultimate jutsus don't care they'll get me anyways.

Hell I wouldn't be so disheartened if I felt like I was learning but jesus the amount of times I get 2 stocked while opponent is still in green.

I'll just fight with the AI endlessly with full handicap on their side so its some sort of challenge ;_;

These trainee's should be goddamn hokage level.

Learn your moment-to-moment matchups.
For instance, I don't know what side wins in Storm 4 since I can't actually play it, but in previous games there'd be a hard slant towards either the attacker or defender getting the first move after different types of "clashes."

You can also, with fairly strict timing, anticipate an incoming Chakra Dash and respond with your own in the split second after your characters "clash" or "bounce" off each other, catching them in that undefended instant and forcing them to sacrifice a Substitution.

Mediking

Please help. Why does it keep saying "this cannot be selected during installation" whenever I click on Story and Adventure Mode??? I just got the game and install is done! Why won't it let me play Story?! ;_;

Edit: It's working!!! Yay!

DedValve

Banned
Learn your moment-to-moment matchups.
For instance, I don't know what side wins in Storm 4 since I can't actually play it, but in previous games there'd be a hard slant towards either the attacker or defender getting the first move after different types of "clashes."

You can also, with fairly strict timing, anticipate an incoming Chakra Dash and respond with your own in the split second after your characters "clash" or "bounce" off each other, catching them in that undefended instant and forcing them to sacrifice a Substitution.

Problem is a LOT of this stuff is hard to do online. For example chakra dashing during a combo after an opponent substitutes. I can't do it online, offline I have no problem. Guarding, same thing.

Trying to chakra dash away, or substitute is an on/off thing. It feels like theres ever so slightly input lag, or maybe my reflexes just suck hardcore and the AI are even dumber than they look.

I tried mixing up my game by goating the opponent to attack my guard, using a partner to attack then work my way around, or 'bounce' off each other with chakra dash then apply pressure but nothing seems to work and I just get EVISCERATED. Like hardcore by every, single, goddamn, person.

It feels like I'm being paired with people so beyond my league that the best I can do is make sure they don't get a perfect on me.

EDIT: Part of me wants to keep trying but it is SO disheartening to lose so incredibly hard, time and time again whereas I don't really get this problem in other fighters, even if I lose a lot in other fighters at least I feel like I have a chance.

SoulUnison

Banned
Problem is a LOT of this stuff is hard to do online. For example chakra dashing during a combo after an opponent substitutes. I can't do it online, offline I have no problem. Guarding, same thing.

Trying to chakra dash away, or substitute is an on/off thing. It feels like theres ever so slightly input lag, or maybe my reflexes just suck hardcore and the AI are even dumber than they look.

I tried mixing up my game by goating the opponent to attack my guard, using a partner to attack then work my way around, or 'bounce' off each other with chakra dash then apply pressure but nothing seems to work and I just get EVISCERATED. Like hardcore by every, single, goddamn, person.

It feels like I'm being paired with people so beyond my league that the best I can do is make sure they don't get a perfect on me.

EDIT: Part of me wants to keep trying but it is SO disheartening to lose so incredibly hard, time and time again whereas I don't really get this problem in other fighters, even if I lose a lot in other fighters at least I feel like I have a chance.

Try playing Single Battles until you have a good feel for how things work online.
(Oh god, Single Battles are still a thing, right?"

I personally hate Team Battles and have since Storm 2.
They're just unmanageable chaos. Supports recharge way too quickly and everybody and their mom tends to just pick the same 3 or 4 supports that are the "best."

jorgejjvr

Try playing Single Battles until you have a good feel for how things work online.
(Oh god, Single Battles are still a thing, right?"

I personally hate Team Battles and have since Storm 2.
They're just unmanageable chaos. Supports recharge way too quickly and everybody and their mom tends to just pick the same 3 or 4 supports that are the "best."
This game was made with supports in mind

This is not your typical fighter for 1 on 1

I miss the clash of ninja games for that

Slaythe

This game was made with supports in mind

This is not your typical fighter for 1 on 1

I miss the clash of ninja games for that

It's still a good idea to learn basic gameplay through singles before adding supports into the mix.

It's a cluster fuck otherwise if you don't know what you're doing.

I used to do a lot of singles to get the hang of it. So that you understand pressure, combos, defense. Without relying on supports. They just add another layer of depth.

jorgejjvr

It's still a good idea to learn basic gameplay through singles before adding supports into the mix.

It's a cluster fuck otherwise if you don't know what you're doing.

I used to do a lot of singles to get the hang of it. So that you understand pressure, combos, defense. Without relying on supports. They just add another layer of depth.
This is true

Anyone want to play?

Top Bottom