• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA: Earth warming at unprecedented pace, unlikely to stay in Paris T° range

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Self-driving cars are going to substantially decrease the amount of cars on the road and in parking lots, it's going to be disruptive in so many ways (most of them good).

Not gonna happen if better city planning and public transportation don't make cars in a large scale obsolete anyway.

Self driving cars themselves will do nothing or even provide an opposite effect.

Well in about 1 to 5 years we will have an blue ocean event in the arctic according to scientists and the data. Which means the sea ice of the artic will be melted nearly completly in september. Thats pretty concerning when you think about the methane at the russian seashelf which is only 15 meters deep but holds 1000s of gigatons of methane. And methane is a lot more powerful than co2.

Here are the graphs:

bpiomasicevolumeaprsepgskg.png

bpiomasicevolumeanomahhs5c.png

piomas-trnd1e4suf.png

siv_monthly_average_pu4s69.png

Makes one wonder what will happen if the TPP is successful in squeezing out China, egads.

First of all TPP isn't happening now and would never shut China out. secondly, they have a domestic solar industry and thirdly, solar will be cheaper than coal so why wouldn't they use that even with your inaccurate hypothetical.

I like to criticize china for a lot of things but a lot of the bashing of them and india seems to ignore that they'll likely face far greater consequences than most western countries and have a huge impetus to do something and are doing something.

and China just literally had a year of decreased emissions...

Yea, a decade ago they were growing at 10% GDP, those days are over and their coal usage is dropping like a rock.

We don't know if that will remain. You're making some very large assumptions in regards to tech, trends and overall path towards sustainability. Even that very chart you are quoting has China showing other years of emissions decline only to follow up with significant increases in the following years.

Things are not looking as good as you make it seem. At least, not yet.

DeviantBoi

I've had this fantasy of a huge monument (like on the side of a mountain or something that big) with the names of all the climate deniers in government or the CEOs of oil companies.

It would be a monument that would last for centuries and it would shame them and their family for generations.

Nocebo

Yea, call me a skeptic but every year seems like it's gonna be the year of the EV
I'm not even sure how one could possibly come to that conclusion. Within 3-5 years though, it looks like a lot is going to start rolling.

People also like to argue that EVs / autonomous driving cars are not going to see a very fast adoption rate because people are not likely to replace their current cars very quickly. And a lot of people only buy used cars due to budget constraints etc.

However, autonomous driving could introduce a paradigm shift in certain demographics and renting car time / car sharing will become more popular. Uber seems to be going in this direction and other companies also seem to be putting stock in this concept. If car sharing / rental takes off in a big way Ev cars and autonomous driving technology could see faster spread than some people are expecting.

Abounder

Banned
First of all TPP isn't happening now and would never shut China out. secondly, they have a domestic solar industry and thirdly, solar will be cheaper than coal so why wouldn't they use that even with your inaccurate hypothetical.

I like to criticize china for a lot of things but a lot of the bashing of them and india seems to ignore that they'll likely face far greater consequences than most western countries and have a huge impetus to do something and are doing something.

Hopefully the TPP does downsize China, it's great that they're making more nuclear and solar but damn do they need to. Someone's gotta lead the way.

We don't know if that will remain. You're making some very large assumptions in regards to tech, trends and overall path towards sustainability. Even that very chart you are quoting has China showing other years of emissions decline only to follow up with significant increases in the following years.

Things are not looking as good as you make it seem. At least, not yet.

It's been three years of China having either no growth in coal use, or a decrease in coal use and production.

You can go read about it, articles from this past June/July, from last year, from 2014, all talking about what this means, and the most recent articles are stating that this is a permanent trend due to the growth of renewables, their need to tackle air pollution and their economy no longer growing at the break neck pace of the last 15 years.

Hopefully the TPP downsizes China, it's great that they're making more nuclear and solar but damn do they need to. Someone's gotta lead the way.

That's quite disgusting saying that basically 1/6 of the world population doesn't deserve the same standard of living as the western world.

Abounder

Banned
That's quite disgusting saying that basically 1/6 of the world population doesn't deserve the same standard of living as the western world.

Western world? It props up their neighbors and hopefully China follows suit. If anything it downgrades western QoL due to outsourcing and being corporate friendly. TPP is disgusting though, thanks Obama and Co

Well in about 1 to 5 years we will have an blue ocean event in the arctic according to scientists and the data. Which means the sea ice of the artic will be melted nearly completly in september. Thats pretty concerning when you think about the methane at the russian seashelf which is only 15 meters deep but holds 1000s of gigatons of methane. And methane is a lot more powerful than co2.

If that happens then we are all fucked, rather quickly.

Hey, let them burn coal ..... why not, they might not be around to enjoy that standard of living you talk about.

China is the largest investor of renewable energy and tech leader and also the only nation with a significant nuclear energy programme.

That's some stupid nonsense, especially if the grow if CO2 output is basically outsourcing of American and European industry.

1084031.gif

At this point, I find it's pretty clear the politicians don't have the ability to solve the problem.
I'm placing my hopes of scientists maybe finding a solution that works. Not ideal, but none of this is...

Not gonna happen if better city planning and public transportation don't make cars in a large scale obsolete anyway.

Self driving cars themselves will do nothing or even provide an opposite effect.

If I had the ability to buy a self-driving car my family would only need one, instead of the two we require now. I know we're not alone. Calling up Uber/Lyft with no driver to support will be cheap as well. A lot more people will be able to get by with a single car or no car at all.

Morts

I wish I could afford an electric car, or solar panels. Or that public transportation was practical in the suburbs. Or that I had the self discipline to cut down on meat.

Can we start shooting sulfur or reflective nano-particles into the atmosphere yet? Seems like everybody finally agrees the problem is too dire to resolve on our current trajectory.

I mean do hurricane threads, no where near where you live, frighten you? Because that's likely all you'll see with the increased change it happens to you. The sky isn't going to fall in a day or even you're lifetime

First of all, I was under the impression that some of the more dire predictions do have shit hitting the fan within my lifetime.

Secondly, it's a philosophical/existential thing. This is the only planet we can be completely sure has life and consciousness on it. To know there is a real chance of the only confirmed awareness in the universe collapsing on a grand scale due to something as frustratingly stupid as us being too stubborn to move with haste is existentially crippling to me. Yes, life on Earth will persist even in the absolute worst possible case, but most of it, including us, won't.

We are in crisis, and it's a difficult thing to think about. I try to think of how amazing the explosions in renewable tech are, beyond all predictions, and how EVs are expected to take off within a few years as battery costs come down, and how the Paris deal was a landmark achievement, but I'm a worrier by nature, and it's difficult to be optimistic in light of a crisis, because you can't truly know how it'll all shake out until it happens.

Nocebo

If I had the ability to buy a self-driving car my family would only need one, instead of the two we require now. I know we're not alone. Calling up Uber/Lyft with no driver to support will be cheap as well. A lot more people will be able to get by with a single car or no car at all.
Excellent point.

MutFox

Banned
It's game over at this point.
Everyone has to get on board.

Renewable energy has to be cheaper than what we're using now,
and with most of the world living in poverty, the cheap stuff will be used.

Greed killed us.

Can we start shooting sulfur or reflective nano-particles into the atmosphere yet? Seems like everybody agrees the problem is already too dire to resolve using existing methods.

Nobody agrees with what you just said

And studied have been done on geo-engenering with brute force like this, that method could easily cause mega-droughts (iirc) and long range of consequences of the unknown.

It's game over at this point.
Everyone has to get on board.

Renewable energy has to be cheaper than what we're using now,
and with most of the world living in poverty, the cheap stuff will be used.

Greed killed us.

It is in many places around the world and will be on a global scale in less than a decade.

This is nothing more than theft from the future generation from the current ones at this point. We know the costs of carbon futures and we know the destruction it will cause.

We need to treat it as such.

The US (and historically Europe) is a great place. If it's not plundering, exploiting, and destroying the people and environment of a less developed county, it's pilaging our own yet-to-be-born children and grandchildren.

Andrew J.

There's already too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. We need geoengineering solutions to actively lower Earth's temperature.

Nobody agrees with what you just said

And studied have been done on geo-engenering with brute force like this, that method could easily cause mega-droughts (iirc) and long range of consequences of the unknown.

As opposed to the mega-droughts and long range consequences of global warming? I'm also not sure where the all the optimistic scientists/predictions are about how our current trajectory will prevent temperature warming beyond 1.5/2.0 degrees Celsius. Even if we literally had zero emissions tomorrow, we could still have enough carbon in the atmosphere to reach 2.0+ if certain feedback/runaway triggers occur. Solar radiation management is a necessary tool to help delay the impacts (specifically the unknown trigger points for the worst feedback/runaway loops) until we successfully transition over the next half-century.

The amount of empty drives is what kills self driving cars as large scale solution how to handle public transportation in the future.

It's of couse something the car industry is pushing because it's the most the effective way of saving the status quo.

This just goes to show that unrestricted/unfettered capitalism is not a good long-term system. There needs to be top down coordination and implementation of fundamental infrastructure, including the power grid, as well as livestock husbandry oversight.

This shit will never change otherwise due to human nature's innate survival instinct to hoard and be greedy, even in times of abundance.

If that happens then we are all fucked, rather quickly.

The earth has been warmer in the past without instantaneous methane release from hydrates.

Last major study on the subject I read on and saw was from 2014 that largely said that if there is going to be arctic release of methane in the from of hydrates and permafrost, it's going to be a gradual slow release, not an instantaneous explosion.

There was even an AMA months back with a climatologist talking about Paris and other subjects, and of course someone brought the hydrate theory up because it's a really hot topic with the doom and gloom crowd of climate change people. The person said that he wouldn't be concerned with it in the short term (think within this century), but however he is far more interested in permafrost thaw, which is actually happening and will continue to happen.

Because the idea is, if we prevent ourselves from crossing 2.0C, natural factors and feedback loops will still continue. So even if we prevent ourselves from crossing it in 2080 and stay at 1.8C or something, by 2030 permafrost could had .2C to our running total.

But that's another story and topic.

Basically, don't really worry about the entire hydrate and methane stuff, because if we're at the point where we are at great risk of a major release, we've clearly done nothing to prevent it in the previous half century or so, which at that point the world would be on RCP 8.5 trends and it's already pretty much gone.

As opposed to the mega-droughts and long range consequences of global warming? I'm also not sure where the all the optimistic scientists/predictions are about how our current trajectory will prevent temperature warming beyond 1.5/2.0 degrees Celsius. Even if we literally had zero emissions tomorrow, we would still have enough carbon in the atmosphere to reach 2.0+. Solar radiation management is a necessary tool to help delay the impacts (particularly run-away warming triggers) until we successfully transition over the next half-century.

Uhh, if he halted all emission tomorrow we would definitely not hit 2.0C this century. You may be confusing the subject of negative emissions and studies saying that even with major reductions in emissions we would need some portion of carbon sequestration to prevent 2.0C, unless I missed something recently.

i honestly believe the only solution to this problem, after you factor in human behavior, is global geoengineering using cheaper forms of energy like solar panels and such along with new tech. the math and chemistry is there but it requires lots of energy that you ironically need to pollute the environment more to make. master clean high yield energy storage and production and high tech climate engineering and utilize those to alter our trajectory.

i really think that's the only way. and our species is going to get to a path that splits very very soon (no we aren't impossibly fucked already like some are saying in this thread) and hopefully we save ourselves with ingenuity

ps i'm a scientist so i prefer to look at this from fixable sense and not nihilistic. it's not over until it's literally over

We really do need lab grown meat as soon as possible. Obviously there are tons of factors leading to increased temperatures but livestock are a huge cause.

Either way we are fucked unless some drastic changes are made quickly in the next decade.

Abounder

Banned
This is what I don't get. people in this thread have said China is doing a better job at curtailing CO2 emissions than the US, but this graph seems to show otherwise.

Per-capita is where US looks like spoiled suburbia. But yea in total China is leading the way in a lot of problematic categories specifically population and pollution. Wouldn't be too surprised to see a one-car home policy but they are building a lot of solar/nuclear

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Self driving cars inherently reduce the number of cars on the road because they make car ownership financially unsustainable.

Greed will keep putting in roadblocks.
I really want to be optimistic, but rich and powerful people don't care.

what does that even mean.

it's economics, it will be cheaper, conventional energy can't magically make how technology operates and grows suddenly irrelevant. Solar + Wind + Storage follow learning curves, they will inherently get cheaper as scale increases, you can't just ignore that.

In 2015 the US installed 70% of it's new capacity from wind+solar.

This is what I don't get. people in this thread have said China is doing a better job at curtailing CO2 emissions than the US, but this graph seems to show otherwise.

You need to look at the bigger picture:
RWvhtre.png

nfmyVyv.png

Source:
http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/news_...in-global-co2-emissions-2015-report-98184.pdf

Edit:

Quit simply passing the blame to rich people. You made and are continuing to make decisions and live a lifestyle that is counterproductive towards dealing with climate change. Accept that first before you pass the blame. There's a lot of things we can be doing already in our personal lives to reduce our carbon footprint.

But the general reaction is...
Nah brah... I need my AC.
Nah brah, I gotta drive a big truck.
Nah brah... I can't use the public transit system even just once or twice a week.
Nah brah, I gotta go on a long road trip once or twice a year so I can't be bothered with replacing my second car with an EV.

And the list goes on and on.l

Nocebo

There will be a point in time when more money will be made from renewable/clean energy technology than something else. So the allegedly greedy big companies have no choice but to retool or get buried by the new kids on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom