• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA: Earth warming at unprecedented pace, unlikely to stay in Paris T° range

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to look at the bigger picture:
RWvhtre.png

nfmyVyv.png

Source:
http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/news_...in-global-co2-emissions-2015-report-98184.pdf

In the second graph, it shows USA is one of the only countries that reduced CO2 emissions from fossil fuels form 2000 to 2014

zpiders

Human population growth is the biggest factor in climate change. Its something that is rarely bought up during those official climate change conferences but is no doubt the biggest elephant in the room.

Until humans stop re-producing like rabbits, its only going to get worse i'm afraid.

Nephtes

I swear... Everyone in this thread, stop right now!
You're helping cause the problem!

Turn off your computers.
Turn off your phones.
Turn off your laptops and tablets.
If you're playing a videogame on a console, turn that shit off too.
Smash all your electronics...
Now smash your cars.
Do you have lights on in your house?
Turn all those off too then smash them.

Done? Alright, now you've stopped most of your carbon emitting activities...

Only one thing left to do.

Try to control your breathing so you exhale less, because remember, every time you breath, you're making the planet hot. And that's not cool.

If we all in this thread do that... Maybe, just maybe we can save the planet.

In seriousness: all this talk is great, but I sincerely doubt many if any of you would give up all the benefits the modern world has given you which have lead to the emissions creating global warming... Do you really think it takes no emissions to create all the technology you hold so dear?

In the second graph, it shows USA is one of the only countries that reduced CO2 emissions from fossil fuels form 2000 to 2014

Germany, Poland, Netherlands, UK, Ukraine, Italy, Spain, and France. They all lowered the per-capita emissions.

Edit:
But wasnt Al Gore very hopeful? Does this news invalidade anything he said in his ted speech?

Nope. This isn't invalidating what Gore recently said. The problem is that the greenhouse gas emissions are a part of a feedback loop that will continue the trend of warming even if we make significant cuts to emissions in the future. As in... the damage is done and will continue to be done. If all we look at is the perspective of renewable energy, then yes the picture isn't as gloomy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It may reduce the number of cars on the parking lot, but could actually increase the number on the road.

No. First it drops the number of cars produced massively, that also applies to transportation. You also get extra space to use. Then the cars themselves can be used for a variety of needs since they aren't individually owned anymore, so the same vehicle can transport kids to school, deliver pizza, whatever.

You get a much higher utility rate. Compared to the current scenario it's simply going to massively reduce the carbon footprint coming from cars/trucks, period.

jerry1594

Tech and posting will solve everything, along with the government. Or whatever, I'll get old and die, and future generations will or will not be born to deal with it.

And to think there's a decades long delay between emissions and their impact in the atmosphere... yeah, the next couple of decades are going to be insane.

Fiend

I swear... Everyone in this thread, stop right now!
You're helping cause the problem!

Turn off your computers.
Turn off your phones.
Turn off your laptops and tablets.
If you're playing a videogame on a console, turn that shit off too.
Smash all your electronics...
Now smash your cars.
Do you have lights on in your house?
Turn all those off too then smash them.

Done? Alright, now you've stopped most of your carbon emitting activities...

Only one thing left to do.

Try to control your breathing so you exhale less, because remember, every time you breath, you're making the planet hot. And that's not cool.

If we all in this thread do that... Maybe, just maybe we can save the planet.

In seriousness: all this talk is great, but I sincerely doubt many if any of you would give up all the benefits the modern world has given you which have lead to the emissions creating global warming... Do you really think it takes no emissions to create all the technology you hold so dear?

It's not about stopping and regressing. It's about evolving our current system into a sustainable one, which will ease the burden on the environment. Well, it's probably too late now.

And to think there's a decades long delay between emissions and their impact in the atmosphere... yeah, the next couple of decades are going to be insane.

I read that it's more like 40 years instead of a decade. The biggest hits are still to come.

Nephtes

It's not about stopping and regressing. It's about evolving our current system into a sustainable one, which will ease the burden on the environment. Well, it's probably too late now.

Exactly my point.
We're so far along, the only way out of this as I see it is for everyone stop using electricity, stop buying consumer goods created as byproducts of oil, stop driving cars, just stop. Stop the modern world.

But you and me and everyone... Well we're too entitled. Our lifestyles have been too enriched by consumer culture that none of us will sacrifice those lifestyles to save the planet...

Admit it, none of you will be the first one to swear off your technologically enhanced lifestyles to go live like the Amish to save the planet...

So everyone can bitch and moan about global warming, but no one is willing to do the sacrifice it will take... And bitching and moaning about it is all you'll do.

Neo C.

But wasnt Al Gore very hopeful? Does this news invalidade anything he said in his ted speech?
He was hopeful in reducing the output of carbon dioxide, but he's still worried about how fast we get to it.

No. First it drops the number of cars produced massively, that also applies to transportation. You also get extra space to use. Then the cars themselves can be used for a variety of needs since they aren't individually owned anymore, so the same vehicle can transport kids to school, deliver pizza, whatever.

You get a much higher utility rate. Compared to the current scenario it's simply going to massively reduce the carbon footprint coming from cars/trucks, period.

I don't quite get your point. Yes, less ownership means less cars, but why less transportation? If the price drops, we are more likely to travel more, making more and longer commutes (especially with autonomous driving), which means way more people on the go.

I agree that the carbon footprint are going to shrink, expectedly because of the shift to plug-in-hybrid and EV.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nothing will happen because the rich fucks in charge know that they'll be dead before the repercussions from this really hit.

"rich people don't care" sentiments aside, this is one of the reasons that I find the prospect of life extension to be a good thing. It gives humans more of an investment into the long term well being of the Earth.

You need to look at the bigger picture:
RWvhtre.png

nfmyVyv.png

Source:
http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/news_...in-global-co2-emissions-2015-report-98184.pdf

Edit:

Quit simply passing the blame to rich people. You made and are continuing to make decisions and live a lifestyle that is counterproductive towards dealing with climate change. Accept that first before you pass the blame. There's a lot of things we can be doing already in our personal lives to reduce our carbon footprint.

But the general reaction is...
Nah brah... I need my AC.
Nah brah, I gotta drive a big truck.
Nah brah... I can't use the public transit system even just once or twice a week.
Nah brah, I gotta go on a long road trip once or twice a year so I can't be bothered with replacing my second car with an EV.

And the list goes on and on.l

ugh looking at Canada

legbone

Someone should really do something about the Sun.

Giant parasol. It's genius I tell ya. I've been griping about that star for years. Can't stand it. Seriously though, I figure we are past the point of no return and the gov won't tell us because it would be pandemonium (or not?).

G.ZZZ

Can't wait until the artic sheet completely melt and then ten trillions tons of methane get in the atmosphere and the earth become Venus.

At least i will be able to say "i told u so" to all the idiots liberal economists and their growth mantra. Look at that growth!

As I've said before, I'm long past the point where I feel there is anything we can do about climate change in the long term.

There are far too many socio-politicial issues that would need decades to fix even if everyone (not just the scientific community) was on the same page.

We need a level of global cooperation unprecedented in our history as a species to even slow down, much less stop and reverse the effects of climate change.

It simply isn't going to happen.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That "mini-ice age" isn't going to happen. The rate of global warming vs. the rate of natural variability of a solar cycle/orbital variation is like dropping a grain of sand in a bucket.

Perhaps. I've read arguments both ways. Somebody instantly refuted it, but apparently the refutation was based on semantics. It is very possible we continue seeing warming but just at a lower rate.

Regardless, things need to be changed when it comes to manmade CO2.

Also, LOL at people talking about air conditioning. That will never be a reasonable thing to eliminate under record global warming. It just won't happen.

This will be one of those situations where we first need to crash the ship into the iceberg to realise that it was not a good idea. The people living with the consequences will not be same people who steered the ship though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This will be one of those situations where we first need to crash the ship into the iceberg to realise that it was not a good idea. The people living with the consequence will not be same people who steered the ship though.

So pretty much anything the Baby Boomer generation has touched.

Walpurgis

Banned
I don't think this renewable energy stuff is going to work out if we can't even meet the cap that was set a few months ago. The rich countries that got fat off of fossil fuels for the last century aren't doing nearly enough and it's not fair to the poor countries trying to escape poverty. And let's not even mention the poor countries that need fossil fuel money but can't use it because they will be destroyed by global warming. We need to look into terraforming.

Sec0nd

Probably the easiest step mankind could make to make a huge effort in fighting global warming is banning cattle (especially cows) farms intended for food.

Nobody is willing to give up on their cars. And giving up on beef will be really hard for some people it's a relative easy step to take. Cows are a huge part in producing global warming gasses (14-18% of the total number), take up huge pieces of land (30% of the land on Earth is apparently used for live stock, and 80% of the deforested land of the Amazon is used for live stock), and beef takes about 2,500 gallons of water per pound of beef.

It'll be a hard sell for ignorant people, I'm sure. But I've given up eating beef for a while now and I've barely noticed it. Though passing up on delicious hamburgers there are plenty of other delicious pieces of food.

Juicy Bob

Wow.

Before I was worried about death. Now I'm worried about the suffering and total collapse of civilisation that will probably occur before death.

People will not change and neither will governments so add this to the pile of "science news no one cares enough about".

Like war, poverty, and abuse, I don't see the issue ever being solved.

Plum

Legitimately being serious, but this kind of shit just makes me want to give up on life. As an individual all of my efforts will only amount to personal satisfaction, it won't actually change anything.
For most of us our 40s and 50s will be spent "living" in a dystopia, and our 60s and 70s will be spent either dead or dying. All this and Nintendo won't even announce the damn NX. Fuck everything.

That would be a dictatorship.

Part of the problem right now is that the executive branch has to rely on executive orders to get things done because of legislative paralysis. But this is only a temporary solution, considering that the leadership has a chance of changing every 4 or 8 years. Things that require money will have to go through Congress. Supreme Court can flip out in executive orders/actions that go too far.

It's not ideal, but it's also a necessary check on power.

Yeah, under normal circumstances. What we need now is a global (benign) dictatorship/martial law to get this thing under control.

This will be one of those situations where we first need to crash the ship into the iceberg to realise that it was not a good idea. The people living with the consequences will not be same people who steered the ship though.

So, the same story as always. The Baby Boomers cause human extinction but they'll all be dead anyways so who cares.

Millennials get to live through the last days of mankind.

Quit simply passing the blame to rich people. You made and are continuing to make decisions and live a lifestyle that is counterproductive towards dealing with climate change. Accept that first before you pass the blame. There's a lot of things we can be doing already in our personal lives to reduce our carbon footprint.

Except people keep bringing up pointless half-measures like eating less meat or turning off the AC when they really just need to stop building an endless suburban sprawl of houses and stop having children.

Bass260

I'd like to see the breakdown of agriculture, Forestry, and other land use. I'm pretty sure agriculture is only a small portion compared to Forestry.

It's all related thus under one section. The land use and forestry is an easy way to say "arable land", aka crop land. With 60 billion animals used by the livestock industry you can be assured that a lot of that land is used to make the food that they feed 60 billion animals. We have cut down an enormous amount of the lush rainforest to make room for cattle and crops.

Can you imagine how much food is used to fatten up those livestock? Especially the ruminants and hogs - they eat and consume more water than us. That's why the water footprint, as well as the manure pits & sewage runoffs are quite detrimental to the environment and affect climate change. The problem is simple - this isn't old macdonald's farm anymore - the # of animals used by the livestock is insane and the environmental concerns are a legitimate byproduct of that.

However I agree - I would love to see a point-by-point breakdown of each section of that chart. I cannot say anything for certain, only go off simple premises and facts about the effects animal ag' has on the environment.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nothing is gonna happen until at least one major Western coastal city gets swept by the ocean. And by then it will probably be too late.

This makes me genuinely terrified, especially as a relatively young person. I eagerly do as much as I can to personally cut down on my footprint, guess losing beef is the next step. My girlfriend is studying renewable energy, so I'd like to think that by association that absolves me guilt haha

Plum

Nothing is gonna happen until at least one major Western coastal city gets swept by the ocean. And by then it will probably be too late.

That's not true. First-world governments of the world will pool most of their resources together to stop climate refugees getting into their countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom