• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nate The Drake: "More than one Xbox Exclusive is coming to PS5 this Holiday"

Alan Wake

Microsoft and hardware is like oil and water.

(Aside: They have been extremely quiet about the Surface line and the last I remember reading, Surface revenues imploded over the last two years after reaching a peak in 2022).
It's funny though that they actually make good hardware. I've always liked Xbox for the hardware and the controller (not so much the UI), and we have two Surface laptops at home one of which is the very first model which is still going strong.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PlayStation owners will jump at the opportunity to buy any good game why not a gears of war?

Why do people think MS isn't aware of what you're saying?
They're fully aware.

It's already over, but people can't seem to fathom the idea.

Spencer literally conceded to the console wars during the Easy Allies interview and people flat-out refused to accept it.

He the literally told us all Xbox games are on the table after a time-window.
People still denied it.

The reality is that Xbox is dead. People better get used to it. There is no come-back happening.
That I definitely understand, but Sony most likely having no direct competition can’t be healthy for the industry unless Nintendo really steps it up in hardware power with the Switch 2. We’ll see what happens though.

He's good with Nintendo leaks, (albeit like *right before* they're public), so it's gotta be like someone in general NoA marketing, not even in the Treehouse. But, this isn't insider info. This is an obvious, easy guess to make that you have 99% likelihood of getting right, based on how there's already been two PS5 ports of Xbox games announced & released already just in the last 90 days.

He maybe knows someone in NoA marketing or PR, highly doubt he has a similar source within Xbox.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That I definitely understand, but Sony most likely having no direct competition can’t be healthy for the industry unless Nintendo really steps it up in hardware power with the Switch 2. We’ll see what happens though.
I agree with the lack of competition, being a bad thing. But Xbox cannot provide that competition and has actually made things worse. They've conditioned a significant number of gamers to not buy games. They literally have done nothing great for the industry since 2010. The most impressive thing they did was make BC a possibility and that didn't move the needle at all.

Last edited:

rm082e

PlayStation owners will jump at the opportunity to buy any good game why not a gears of war?

If they're next game is Gears 6, I could see PS players not being interested jumping into the last game in a trilogy. I'm sure they would sell some copies, but probably not a ton.

If they're going to do a full remake (like Dead Space and Demon's Souls) for Gears 1-3, I think that would be amazing. I loved that original trilogy on 360. Giving it new life on a modern console with 60fps and all the graphical details would be kick ass. Personally, I'd rather buy that for PC, but I would hope it would come to PS5 as well.

Killjoy-NL

Dunno, Switch is killing it, Switch 2 probably will as well and we got people claiming that Sony is going to follow Xbox on the way down, so clearly there already is competition.

I think it'll be fine, the dust just needs to settle once Xbox is done transitioning.

XXL

Can people stop with this "no competition" garbage.

There was a competition, this is the results of it. Accept it.

-Playstation won the console market
-Nintendo won the handheld market
-Steam won the PC market.

And tbh, Playstation dealt with the most competition out of all of them along the way.

Raven117

Of course most if not all Xbox games are coming to all platforms. This is how they become a third party publisher. Maybe not day 1, if they care to make another console, but its coming.

They didn't spend $75 BILLION dollars to buy Activision/Blizzard to keep it out of the hands of all gamers. They saw the Xbox install base. They saw the PC users. They saw how many gamepass subscriptions they would need to sell and/or how many full price games they would need to sell to break even on that, and they saw it was just too big of a lift to limit it. Its simple math, fellas.

It's crazy to me that there are people out there who still think there are red lines for Xbox. Phil Spencer himself said nothing is off the table and still people think there are franchises that wont come over. Some people simply will not believe it until it is officially announced by xbox themselves.

Last edited:
That $70bn acquisition wasn't to create exclusive content for Xbox platforms, that was evident the moment the deal was put on the table.

There's way too much multiplatform money to leave on table by going exclusive.

This was ALWAYS the plan from the get.

Most just couldn't see it.

NickFire

That $70bn acquisition wasn't to create exclusive content for Xbox platforms, that was evident the moment the deal was put on the table.

There's way too much multiplatform money to leave on table by going exclusive.

This was ALWAYS the plan from the get.

Most just couldn't see it.
If it was always the plan, then why did they keep the Bethesda games exclusive when the ABK acquisition was being reviewed? They could have saved themselves a ton of time, money and risk had they shown the courts and regulators that 3rd party was the plan all along.

If it was always the plan, then why did they keep the Bethesda games exclusive when the ABK acquisition was being reviewed? They could have saved themselves a ton of time, money and risk had they shown the courts and regulators that 3rd party was the plan all along.
Probs cause it would've eliminated any and all goodwill they had left at that point with their current paying audience.

I think they wanted the "we're going 3rd-Party" message to be a slow drip across several years, maybe even a generation; to see how the market responds perhaps. But now it appears to be happening in one fell swoop

NickFire

Probs cause it would've eliminated any and all goodwill they had left at that point with their current paying audience.

I think they wanted the "we're going 3rd-Party" message to be a slow drip across several years, maybe even a generation; to see how the market responds perhaps. But now it appears to be happening in one fell swoop
My personal suspicion is that it was the backup plan that everyone above Phil new about (and probably expected to implement asap).

King Dazzar

Do any PS only gamers even care? The only good Xbox games of this gen are HiFi Rush and FH5 imo. What else are you missing out on? Halo Infinite is dead and buried.
I'd like FH5, even though I preferred FH4 and the whole weekly busy work was getting very tired. Halo MCC would be great to revisit once in a while. And I enjoyed Gears too. Beyond that it does get more difficult for me. Its good to know anything decent in the future would come too though.

That garbage can stay on Xbox. I couldn't stand more than 6 hours of that cringy story on PC.

I mean, the Halo MC collection would be kinda nice.

As for Infinite...they can keep that shit, what a miserable, hollow SP experience that was, shit, I enjoyed H4 and 5 more than infinite.

ToadMan

And tbh, Playstation dealt with the most competition out of all of them along the way.

Yep.

And no one is complaining about Nintendo's "monopoly" (if they're not a competitor to Sony, then they're in their market by themselves) and Steam is more or less a monopoly in their sphere. They took those markets fair and square by not only being early to the market, but giving consumers what they wanted.

So why is Sony singled out for criticism?

Not to mention that the videogame market as a whole is more competitive than it has ever been. Fragmentation in the marketplace to this extent always sheds the weak so the strong can coalesce and reorganise for the next round - Xbox lost it's seat this time, but the next round will offer new opportunities.

SHA

iu
Being a fanboy is really hard I guess.

RickMasters

Just can't see that happening. They're still producing hardware, those titles would render those products dead on arrival.
Microsoft doesn’t care about selling Xboxes anymore.

I think the idea going forward is:

Make an Xbox for their core Xbox user base. They still need us for gamepass.

Release their games everywhere. Because they want every issues money and everybody has to sign up for an Xbox account to play these games anyway.

Steam side loading on the next Xbox, meaning Xbox gamers with steam accounts won’t be missing out on anything anyway ( you can play PS games on steam anyways) while l giving us new hardware access to all our purchased games on.

They won’t be getting out of hardware. But they don’t give a shit about exclusives. They give a shit about money. If they can’t sell you the console they can still sell you the game. Sell it to everybody. Stick on GPU for their subscribers.

The new games business from a hardware vendor that is also the biggest publisher on its former biggest rivals platform. While still having their own core base…… my guess is that’s how they see all this playing out for them.

Honestly though…… I’m still just pissed about arcane and tango to even think about the rest of the fuckery. I’ll unpack that later

RickMasters

There was deffo competition. Otherwise we would not call it the console wars.

But as for Xbox…. More like MS handed Sony the console market On a golden platter. Out of sheer stupidity and bad choice after bad choice. MS once again got int heir own way.

Nintendo lost the handheld market to tablets and phones, that can have hot pads attached to them. That is why the DS never got a successor. And most likely the reason the PS vita never got a successor. Nintendo also knew they tapped out of the hardware arms race and had no desire to compete directly with PS or Xbox for high end AAA games. They stopped doing that when the GameCube lost to the PS2. So they had to combine their handheld and their home console. It was thinking outside the box that saved Nintendo’s hide.

But yeah. Steam pretty much is PC gaming. Possibly the one store front that will beat them all in the end. Because the PC and hybrid PC-consoles will most likely be the future. And as handheld Gaming PCs become more of a thing. They might be the only thing that really is a future alternative to tablets and phones for mobile gaming. But I doubt they will ever surpass tablets in terms of users. Everybody and their mama owns a tablet these days. Coming back to why Nintendo lost the mobile gaming market, to these other devices. They never won that. They were just the last dedicated handheld left standing before time and technology made tablets the standard for mobile gaming. They lost that fight though. Steam might be the only alternative in modern times.

RickMasters

The future of what? PC isn’t some new concept and the cost to go PC keeps rising

Consoles aren’t going anywhere just because Xbox is dead

The future of Xbox. It still has one beleive it or not. 😅😅😅

Xbox is in a bad place sure. But dead? Nah….. MS Atleast have the funds to take these kinds of tumbles. Time and time again. They so rich they can be stupid and take forever to learn hard lessons it seems. Last time I checked they are still one of the two richest companies in the world. Traditional Xbox as we know it is dead. Exclusives are dead to them. I fully agree with that. Doesn’t mean they don’t have new hardware on the way though…… and I’m pretty sure it will bear that X. 🤷🏾‍♂️

PCs are not knew ….. ( I’ve been building my own PCs since 1998, and I do a lot more than gaming on mine so spare me the condescension) consoles are not knew either. And neither is the idea of a console PC hybrid. But it’s not been executed properly before. It’s never as streamlined as a console. Maybe that’s where the next Xbox does something a bit different though. Inspire of your early proclamations of it being dead, they are still working on new hardware. And as long as they are profitable by whatever metrics they use over their at MS these days, who cares asking as I’m playing my backlog on new hardware? 🤷🏾‍♂️

Steam side loading on the next Xbox, meaning Xbox gamers with steam accounts won’t be missing out on anything anyway ( you can play PS games on steam anyways) while l giving us new hardware access to all our purchased games on.

I'd be shocked if Sony allowed their games to be played on an Xbox honestly. Even if they tried to turn it into some sort of PC hybrid. I bet Sony would find a way to ID the hardware and have it blocked.

CamHostage

✈️ Flight Sim seems like it might be a good choice next. It has a commerce plan, it's going to last a long time, it doesn't feel like it has that Xbox identity anchoring it up too strongly, and it's a high-quality product with little competition and good reason to expand as big as possible. The game does have "Microsoft" in the title, but that's not so meaningful now (plus it wouldn't be the first time a MS branded product was on a competitor's platform.)

Of the big core brands, I don't know when/if we'll see a Halo or Gears or Forza (cats and dogs living together...oh wait, they do), but the rest all seems up for discussion.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I mean, the Halo MC collection would be kinda nice.

As for Infinite...they can keep that shit, what a miserable, hollow SP experience that was, shit, I enjoyed H4 and 5 more than infinite.
I can see the Halo MC collection being a popular choice for sure and I agree on Infinite. Copy/Pasted piece of crap with cringe story/va.

Astray

Steam and PC will eat into the Playstation market as the years go by, even if they are the only ones, the console market will only shrink.
You do realize that Nintendo growing at the expense of Sony means that console isn't shrinking, but just changing marketshares?

Bond007

Indiana Jones is literally the last dingleberry of hope for me and Xbox. Its literally one of my fav IPs of all time so i have no choice but to keep my XSX through its release (The point of exclusives).
But if i get a PS5 date prior or persistent rumors close to release- im just gonna bail on them this generation. Ive never not owned all consoles each generation- but id literally see no value in holding the hardware when i can atleast get something for it and invest in some Microsoft 3rd party games. lol

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
You do realize that Nintendo growing at the expense of Sony means that console isn't shrinking, but just changing marketshares?
Nintendo consoles are used to play Nintendo games like the Switch is cheap if you have PC or PS you may still want a Switch as your second platform but PS and PC have the same games so people have to choose which platform they want to use, all PS games will be released on PC sooner or later the PC that has its own exclusives and is more consumer friendly will continue to gain followers over time

Last edited:

RickMasters

I'd be shocked if Sony allowed their games to be played on an Xbox honestly. Even if they tried to turn it into some sort of PC hybrid. I bet Sony would find a way to ID the hardware and have it blocked.

I already own a bunch of Playstation games on steam. I should be able to play them on ANYTHING that has my steam account loaded to it. I doubt there is anything they could really do about it, actually.

I bought them on steam. I own them. Ill play them on anything that I can load my steam account on. They can’t block anything unless they intend to stop selling games on steam. I’m already playing PlayStation games on a device that runs Microsoft Windows so…what difference does it make if I’m playing in a console that is running steam? 🤷🏾‍♂️ They can’t tell me I can play my PS games on steam on my PC on my ALLY but not the box under my TV…. I already paid them on steam.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Nadella is so obsessed with AI that the entire company will be focused on their lousy Copilot tech.
It’s pathetic really. I tried Copilot for 1 month free, it takes ages to get a response and it’s just a glorified knowledge base for Microsoft 365.

Here’s what I wanted it to do: “Hey Copilot, make me a new slide with the same graphic layout as others, put this here, put that there”

3 trillion dollar company AI: “I’m sorry , I can’t do that”

Top Bottom