• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateDrake: A critically acclaimed Xbox 1st party title, in GOTY conversation for the year it released, will come to a competitor platform in 2024

Doubt hifi rush would make xbox fans "mad" whatever that means I think it'll have to be something like Forza to piss people off
Nothing about a port should make anyone “mad”. What on earth would be wrong with more people being able to play an acclaimed game? That’s beyond ridiculous. It’s a video game 😂

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don’t think it was in GOTY conversations, tho. My guess would be Hi-Fi Rush.

Wikipedia also has an accolades section.

Also I think the game is more respected as more time passes. The guy said "conversations" not "nominations." And the whole "in the year it released" phrasing is an odd way to say last year. Just my vibes alert says Pentiment. But it could be Hi-Fi Rush.

Quantum253

It looks like Forza Horizon 5 led several categories for GOTY in 2021. However, it sounded like a nominee. The title states it was in "conversation" so not necessarily ever nominated.

nial

Gold Member
Nate also says that Xbox fans are going to be a little surprised / shocked / annoyed that MS have ported the title in question.
Going by this, Hi-Fi Rush looks like the most likely answer.
And them whoring one of their few good games out to other consoles sounds really sad, but hey, it already happened before with the Ori titles.
Anyway MS is keeping goin the road to become a 3rd party publisher, after Ori, Cuphead, Minecraft Legends, As Dusk Falls...
Cuphead is not first-party.

Nothing about a port should make anyone “mad”. What on earth would be wrong with more people being able to play an acclaimed game? That’s beyond ridiculous. It’s a video game 😂
Yeah it shouldn't but depending on the game it probably would you mean to tell me if the forza horizon series got ported people wouldn't be upset? A franchise historical on Xbox is at least eyebrow raising while a small game ported over from a 3rd publisher they recently purchased shouldn't bother anyone they need to keep the big games exclusive.

Hi-Fi Rush on the Switch.

Well going by his other comment, and considering Switch has never been mentioned by Microsoft publicly as a 'competitor platform', I'm thinking this would most likely be HiFi Rush on PS5 and also Switch 2 (not original Switch).

It's been fun watching so many on ResetERA squirm in forcing themselves to acknowledge PlayStation as a platform whatsoever in this. Apparently they did the same for As Dusk Falls. You'd think they would learn better by now.

Pentiment wasn't in any GOTY discussions.

It's one of Flight Sim, Forza horizon or Hi-Fi rush.

Apparently it's a game from last year, otherwise Flight Sim and FH5 were also bets I'd go with (or Pentiment).

It sure as fuk isn't RedFall. And while there's an off-chance it could be Starfield, that game would need significant improvements to do any real numbers on additional platforms, even PS5. Too many much better games available and coming out.

The other one that just occured to me is maybe a port of Age of Empires 2?

Yeah I don't trust the "met with a lot of excitement part". Leakers always over hype these things.

Got my fingers crossed for Hi-fi Rush though.

Well again, apparently it's a release from last year. I know AOE2 got a "new" version released last year, but it's technically a game from like decades ago. Plus it wasn't in any GOTY convos, not to mention Xbox gamers don't really care for that IP in general (it's more a PC thing). I couldn't see any of them being upset or mad about it going to a 'competitor platform' (aka PlayStation).

Genuinely think the frontrunner in this is HiFi Rush. The only other potential game is Starfield (it WAS in "some" GOTY noms and won at least one IIRC).

Last edited:

Tsaki

"upset Xbox loyalists" Will definitely include Playstation then. Either Pentiment or Hi-Fi. Maybe Ori.

Yeah it shouldn't but depending on the game it probably would you mean to tell me if the forza horizon series got ported people wouldn't be upset? A franchise historical on Xbox is at least eyebrow raising while a small game ported over from a 3rd publisher they recently purchased shouldn't bother anyone they need to keep the big games exclusive.
It seems no different to me than more people being able to play PS games by them porting 1-3 yr old games to Steam. Again, what is wrong with more people having access to an acclaimed game? I just don’t get why anyone would be upset about that.

I’d have loved to have been able to play Mario Galaxy on a PS4 with an actual good/ dual analog controller, and much better fidelity graphics. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The title I am referring to was met with high critical acclaim, fans loved it, it was in the GOTY conversation the year it released. When the announcement comes I think it's going to be met with a lot of excitement because this is a quality game.
If this is what was said... I honestly can't think of any. How accurate has this guy been before?
"upset Xbox loyalists" Will definitely include Playstation then. Either Pentiment or Hi-Fi. Maybe Ori.
Why would anyone be upset over any of those? Plus Ori is already multi-plat.

Edit: it's GAFs GOTY, Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

Elios83

Starfield is not the only XGS title that will be ported to competing platform(s) that was released by MS/XGS last year. There are more. In time, the norm will be to have these games release day 1 on all platforms.

Their business decisions have made the Xbox console brand a redundant option and sales have reflected this reality.
At the same time they've grown considerably the amount of their studios through acquisitions and they can't afford to reach a small audience or everything will become unprofitable and the whole thing will collapse creating a Tencent-like scenario.
So I'm not surprised if this is what's in store for the future although for some people it will be very hard to accept.

Last edited:
Ori 1 & 2 are already on the Switch. And there were good games but I never heard anyone talking about it as a GOTY contender.

Same for Hi-Fi Rush, yes it had good reviews and critical acclaim but I never heard about it as a GOTY contender.

There were many people, who were saying HiFi Rush should've gotten GOTY nom at the VGAs over Starfield.

So no, it was definitely in various conversations for GOTY, especially after Starfield lost winning it at the VGAs (tho a lot of those convos were copium by various Xbox diehards mad about the fake "Xbox Tax")

If they're smart?

Halo Infinite on PS5.

Only reason I'm not seeing it is because apparently it's a release from last year.

But Halo Infinite on PS5 would absolutely rock a lot of Xbox diehards some type of way. Just symbolically, it'd represent a lot of things.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

image.png

Sensing a pattern in the likes here

It seems no different to me than more people being able to play PS games by them porting 1-3 yr old games to Steam. Again, what is wrong with more people having access to an acclaimed game? I just don’t get why anyone would be upset about that.

I’d have loved to have been able to play Mario Galaxy on a PS4 with an actual good/ dual analog controller, and much better fidelity graphics. 🤷‍♂️
Nah some console games should remain exclusive it's what gives that platform an identity but I agree about smaller games for example little big planet ported to the switch makes sense instead it's a franchise left for dead on PlayStation. I don't want a future where every game is everywhere and definitely wouldn't want to see Mario or Zelda ported anywhere they belong on Nintendo's hardware it's what makes those games great.

Trying to think of what Xbox exclusive would possibly get fans of a competitor excited. Certainly not hi fi or pentiment…who’s excited?

Has to be big one but those have not been Goty worthy

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Trying to think of what Xbox exclusive would possibly get fans of a competitor excited. Certainly not hi fi or pentiment…who’s excited?

Has to be big one but those have not been Goty worthy
I think they'd both sell very well on Switch. Cuphead and Minecraft are in the top seller list frequently, along with lots of indies, visual novels. I think Ori was popular as well.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I think they'd both sell very well on Switch. Cuphead and Minecraft are in the top seller list frequently, along with lots of indies, visual novels. I think Ori was popular as well.
Why would green rats be mad over either of those though? They are smaller games.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
He said a game that was a GOTY contender the year it was released, so why does everyone say Hi-Fi Rush? I doubt it's a 2023 game. This has to be Sunset Overdrive. Insomniac owns those rights after all but Microsoft published it, making it 1rst party. Since they can't use the IP anymore....

He said a game that was a GOTY contender the year it was released, so why does everyone say Hi-Fi Rush? I doubt it's a 2023 game. This has to be Sunset Overdrive. Insomniac owns those rights after all but Microsoft published it, making it 1rst party. Since they can't use the IP anymore....

GOTY and Sunset Overdrive are mutually exclusive terms

How would Sunset Overdrive "ruffle any feathers" among certain diehards? I think almost everyone's come to terms with and expecting a PS release of Sunset Overdrive in the future.

A port of something like Halo Infinite or Forza Horizon 5, however? Quite unexpected and would definitely send some shockwaves. But then you have something in the middle like a HiFi Rush which, yes, was in GOTY discussions, especially after Starfield lost GOTY at the VGAs (actually, even before that).

Particularly with various people online.

If they're smart?

Halo Infinite on PS5.
This isn't as far fetched as some assume it to be. It was discussed.

I personally don't see it happening for this one, but having it happen for the next Halo entry instead. Switching to an engine that routinely ships on PS will facilitate that strategy shift.

Hi-fi Rush is one of the games being ported, but its not the only one.

Well again, apparently it's a release from last year. I know AOE2 got a "new" version released last year, but it's technically a game from like decades ago. Plus it wasn't in any GOTY convos, not to mention Xbox gamers don't really care for that IP in general (it's more a PC thing). I couldn't see any of them being upset or mad about it going to a 'competitor platform' (aka PlayStation).

Yeah I made that suggestion based on the idea that he could be trying to be a bit tricksy, and claim it was a GOTY contender when it originally released in 1999.

If he's explicitly said that it was a game from last year though then yeah Hi-Fi Rush is the most likely candidate.

Nah some console games should remain exclusive it's what gives that platform an identity but I agree about smaller games for example little big planet ported to the switch makes sense instead it's a franchise left for dead on PlayStation. I don't want a future where every game is everywhere and definitely wouldn't want to see Mario or Zelda ported anywhere they belong on Nintendo's hardware it's what makes those games great.
As a diehard, lifelong Nintendo fan who plays and buys all their big games all the way into my mid-30s, I’d love the option to play them on hardware that doesn’t hold them back performance-wise, in blurry 720p-900p with a shaky 30fps target, running on a 2015 mobile chipset 🤷‍♂️. I’d love to see my favorite Nintendo games shine in 4K/60fps. I don’t play hardware. I play games!

There’s literally nothing about Mario Odyssey or TotK that couldn’t be fully playable on a superior controller like Series X|S. Hands down the best controller I have ever owned, by a mile. Switch Pro controller is great, but nothing beats the Xbox line of controller for current-gen. Oh, and they also have headset jacks in their controllers too. Which is an awesome & convenient feature that Nintendo should really consider for next-gen.

System-wide Achievements would be nice, too. And the ability to stream what you’re playing directly from your Nintendo console.

Last edited:

Wikipedia also has an accolades section.

Also I think the game is more respected as more time passes. The guy said "conversations" not "nominations." And the whole "in the year it released" phrasing is an odd way to say last year. Just my vibes alert says Pentiment. But it could be Hi-Fi Rush.
Ah, yes. Pentiment was 2022. Hence my comment about it not being in any GOTY conversation this year.

Let’s get Lost Odyssey remaster on PS5
This will never happen. Sakaguchi isn’t open to it, and the headache of all licensing and rights issues would likely just not be justified by the prospective sales of a port. It plays great on Series X with almost no loading, and no swapping of discs. Which is good enough for me.

Top Bottom