• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateDrake: A critically acclaimed Xbox 1st party title, in GOTY conversation for the year it released, will come to a competitor platform in 2024

I guess because PC is like a neutral place.

Remember the uproar over MLB The Show going multi platform and launching day one on Game Pass? The Switch version is barely acknowledged by anyone.
Nintendo was all about getting that series on their platform! They lept at the chance. They want all games they can get. They want to have that nice, diverse library that satisfies every genre.

Last edited:
Yeah I made that suggestion based on the idea that he could be trying to be a bit tricksy, and claim it was a GOTY contender when it originally released in 1999.

If he's explicitly said that it was a game from last year though then yeah Hi-Fi Rush is the most likely candidate.

Well I might have some things confused on that one; apparently they actually said it was a GOTY contender in the year it released, so it could be something earlier than last year.

However I don't see it being anything pre-360, that's for sure. I did see someone say maybe a Gears Classic Collection and that could in theory happen, but if the idea is that MS would be using it to bring attention to a new release that's Xbox console-exclusive (I see NO reason they'd do this which I'll explain in a minute), well there's no new Gears set for 2024 from what we know, or likely 2025 for that matter.

As much of a clown they are, Vigilante Joker was trying to pass the idea that maybe it could be a PS & Switch port of Killer Instinct, as a way to get attention for Killer Instinct 2 on Xbox & PC. But there's one glaring flaw in his logic: no one's going to buy an Xbox just to play a new Killer Instinct, and if that's the case there's basically no difference between releasing it on Xbox/PC or Xbox/PC/PlayStation. Since for MS, the Day 1 PC ports are mainly because they don't see those people buying Xboxes (well, that's the reality they've created for themselves now, after years of doing it at least).

My own guesses would be among: HiFi Rush, Forza Horizon 5, Pentiment, or Flight Simulator. If the last one, probably would be the new one alongside the older 2021 content. But my gut's saying it's either HiFi Rush or Forza Horizon 5, and either of them for both PS5 and Switch 2.

SenkiDala

Cuphead is not first-party.
Yes you're right but it is published by Microsoft.

For me the only thing that could be big enough would be Halo Infinite, the multiplayer seems to be great again, Sony is searching for good quality MP games... But I guess that Halo/Forza/Gears would be the last licence to go multiplat.

Honestly I think that the abysmal bad sales of the Xbox consoles will push MS to go faster 3rd party publisher, and they'll be the biggest ever. I mea they're selling like the Wii U... And about their goal of reaching 100M users of the GP by 2027... They are at 25M and they have 3 years to get 75 MILLIONS more subscribers ? Through Cloud gaming and Xbox consoles ? I don't see them reaching even 50% by 2027...

Astray

Gold Member
I remember playing Hifi Rush on launch and thinking "Man this would be so much better with PS5 haptics".

Now it seems like Microsoft agrees?

Likely HiFi on Switch, which is good. I've long since said Rare Replay is an absolute no-brainer to put on Switch, it's not like you're going to get many more sales on Xbox, while you'd probably get a million sales minimum day 1.

I have a ROG Ally, I can access all these games natively on a handheld. The ROG Ally will never do the numbers Nintendo can do. As a fan of the games MS funds I'm all for MS getting the returns to fund them, I like more people playing (and paying for) these games without added barriers.

jm89

giphy.gif

T-0800

I'm never buying another Xbox again so they need to start releasing their games on PS if they want to see any of my money.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I remember playing Hifi Rush on launch and thinking "Man this would be so much better with PS5 haptics".

Now it seems like Microsoft agrees?
I did not play it, but I had the same opinion. I think that if it is Hi fi rush Xbox should have their planned haptic controller "sebille" out first. This game is perfect for the tech and would help in making xbox players accoustumed to it. Like we got Astro bot for the PS5.

Fredrik

Nothing about a port should make anyone “mad”. What on earth would be wrong with more people being able to play an acclaimed game? That’s beyond ridiculous. It’s a video game 😂
You make it sound like people losing it over exclusives going to other platforms isn’t common.

RyRy93

Forza would be the only thing in the last 10 years to be GOTY material AND garner lots of “excitement” if it were to be announced on another platform

Last edited:

GHG

DenchDeckard DenchDeckard I'm moving this reply over to this thread because it applies here:

How in the actual fubar can you say halo, starfield and forza are "trash"

Wild

rdcS4p5.jpg
ZkXmglh.jpg
rSHesg9.jpg

Personally I think the only games they've released in recent years that are worth porting (from a quality perspective) to other platforms are Hifi Rush and Forza Horizon 5 (I still maintain flight sim is a PC game that needs to be enjoyed with the right equipmemt and is a waste of time for 99% of people on console).

Anything else other than the two games that I mentioned will result in the same reception that they had elsewhere and won't sell enough to make the endeavour worthwhile.

All in all, there's not much for people to get excited about, that's the harsh reality.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

So that's not Starfield if I read it right
I actually think it's Starfield.

"It was in the GOTY conversation"

So, it wasn't nominated. Just like Starfield.

Either that or Hifi Rush, since it's an Insomniac game.

edit: fixed, wrong game.

Last edited:
DenchDeckard DenchDeckard I'm moving this reply over to this thread because it applies here:

rdcS4p5.jpg
ZkXmglh.jpg
rSHesg9.jpg

Personally I think the only games they've released in recent years that are worth porting (from a quality perspective) to other platforms are Hifi Rush and Forza Horizon 5 (I still maintain flight sim is a PC game that needs to be enjoyed with the right equipmemt and is a waste of time for 99% of people on console).

Anything else other than the two games that I mentioned will result in the same reception that they had elsewhere and won't sell enough to make the endeavour worthwhile.

All in all, there's not much for people to get excited about, that's the harsh reality.

My finest work :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not sure why these leaks have a cryptic element. If someone wanted to share this info, this level of detail makes them no less identifiable than if they'd given the title as well.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Sunset overdrive. Hi fi rush was not made by insomniac. I have doubts for Starfield, because we know that DLCs are coming for it. So they will want to port the game when all DLCs are already made for Xbox IMHO. Easier to do for the studio, allow for a easier marketing message : the game is finished, get it now on PS5! This is if the game get a PS5 version. This kind of game would need 1 year or more to feel like a Xbox exclusive and not upset gamers too much. Doing it now, before E3 2024 would be inconsiderate of the Xbox buyers for me. Let them fix it first, allow the negativity and anger that some people have against it to decrease. And Xbox need to have the mods ready to go because it is one of the advantages that the platform have over Playstation. It would help and make the Xbox the superior version without angering PS5 users.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
PS Fanboys: Xbox games are trash.
PS Fanboys hearing xbox games coming to Playstation:
giphy.gif

No.

This just proves our case that Xbox isn't doing fine as Xbox fanboys have been claiming for years.

If Microsoft puts big games on PlayStation then this could mean two things (1) Microsoft is doing this to go after another publisher (2) they're not making enough revenue and they need to put their games on other platforms.

You make it sound like people losing it over exclusives going to other platforms isn’t common.
If anyone honestly gets angry about a video game going to more than one platform… I’d say they need to re-evaluate their life. Go volunteer at a soup kitchen, get some perspective.

mdkirby

hmm that’s strange wording. “Was in conversations for game of the year in the year it was released”…that actually sounds like starfield. Before release, and on the year it was released people’s hopes and expectations were high and it was definitely thought of as a strong GOTY contender. After release it wasn’t.

Given the resources invested in it too, and it’s pretty quick drop off in engagement vs prior Bethesda titles, and being ostensibly “free” for most people, I can’t imagine it’ll ever be remotely close to recouping costs without releasing on PlayStation. If they did a bit of a cyberpunk/no man’s sky rework, released on PlayStation at £70, it’d prob do pretty well.

Nothing else from MS really fits the bill except maybe flight sim.

Huh? Hi-Fi is Tango Gameworks. How on earth would it make sense for a Sony-owned first-party studio to release an Xbox exclusive in 2023? 🤔

Last edited:

Dazraell

hmm that’s strange wording. “Was in conversations for game of the year in the year it was released”…that actually sounds like starfield. Before release, and on the year it was released people’s hopes and expectations were high and it was definitely thought of as a strong GOTY contender. After release it wasn’t.

Given the resources invested in it too, and it’s pretty quick drop off in engagement vs prior Bethesda titles, and being ostensibly “free” for most people, I can’t imagine it’ll ever be remotely close to recouping costs without releasing on PlayStation. If they did a bit of a cyberpunk/no man’s sky rework, released on PlayStation at £70, it’d prob do pretty well.

Nothing else from MS really fits the bill except maybe flight sim.

I'm pretty sure it's Hi-Fi Rush. And most probably for Switch

clarky

Gold Member
Forza would be the only thing in the last 10 years to be GOTY material AND garner lots of “excitement” if it were to be announced on another platform
They cant even get Forza right on 2 platforms never mind chucking a third into the mix.

mdkirby

I'm pretty sure it's Hi-Fi Rush. And most probably for Switch
Yah I saw people saying that, but whilst people loved it, I just don’t recall it ever being presented as “game of the year” material. And the strange way they worded it makes edges me towards starfield.

Might just be me being hopeful that it’s paired with a major overhaul, which if it is I might actually be tempted to double dip and buy it on PlayStation (prefer the ecosystem and controller). Only got about 20-30h in on the seriesX before dropping it. I reallllly wanted to like that damn game and had looked forward to it for years.

Top Bottom