• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateDrake: A critically acclaimed Xbox 1st party title, in GOTY conversation for the year it released, will come to a competitor platform in 2024

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Certainly better than on Xbox right? I don't see why both wouldn't be a good idea.

Leagues better than just on xbox, by sheer orders of magnitude due to install base.

It's a solid point. Maybe xbox could see success treating playstation like Sony does PC. Release the games a year or so later on playstation. This way they are trying to tempt people to the platform if they want the games day one and also for the many that will be happy to wait, they will get them on playstation.

I think the majority would wait and Microsoft still gets the cash. Makes sense.

Last edited:

jm89

Switch has over 100 million userbase and has a high chance of sales. I feel like the game wouldn't perform as well on playstation as it would switch.
Well it's not a question of will it do better on ps or switch, the question is would it be beneficial to release on PS?

If they are already thinking of releasing on other platforms, then they probably need additional growth on other platforms.

Which i think will be the case with most of their releases.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Would HiFi Rush being on another platform upset green rats? I don't think anyone would care. Whose GOTY conversation was it in?
I don't think anyone would care about the low budget titles.

Darsxx82

I think the confirmation was As Dusk Falls, which has already been announced for PlayStation.
Minecraft, COD, Doom, Quake, Ori etc, etc, etc..... MS has been 3rd party for a long time before Dusk Fall (AA- XBS Publishing game) was released on PS4/5 but I think you hadn't realized it yet..

If what you are trying to say is that DUsKFall is a sign that MS is going to launch all its games on PS5 from now on..... Then I think you already had the opportunity to bey without having to wait so long and simply you're just jumping on the "Xbox 3rd party" trend because because. Very funny when a couple of months ago in the ABK thread you were defending the need to prohibit the acquisition because "MS wants to buy ABK to destroy PS" 🙃

As for the thread. It's funny that the podcast from which the rumor comes is in any case a warning/bet by Nate about an exciting future for XBOX and also its console and yet everything has remained in the discussion of which game will be 1st party ported to competing platforms.

The fact is that even he says:

1- that there is no basis that can be used in the discussion "Xbox will be a full 3rd party and will launch all its games on PS5" and that MS would be using a "case by case" strategy.

2- Continuations of that game can be exclusive.

3- First party exclusives will continue to be released, including unannounced games this year (Indiana Jones).....🤔

4- BC games returns (but only ABK games maybe)

5- MS Will annunce FF games (likely FFXVI) for Xbox this year.

That said, MS is going to have to refine the message if it does not want to not only damage its console business but also its PC and subscriptions business in certain level. Releasing games on Switch and PS5 will most likely lead to mobilization and the message on Twitter and forums of the possibility that exclusive Xbox/PC games could reach the competition at some point and make many people prefer to wait before buying an Xbox console or even the PC version or a Gamepass subscription. And Xbox needs the opposite right now.

We will see. My bet is that the announcement of that "X" game will be done in the background and an attempt will be made to silence it with the announcement of new XBOX/PC exclusives to please the Xbox faithful/radical fans and reduce the loudspeaker of the PS fans convinced that the Xbox console will disappear in 2027😏

Last edited:

Senua

Would HiFi Rush being on another platform upset green rats? I don't think anyone would care. Whose GOTY conversation was it in?
"green rats"

You guys still using 2010 era fanboy language is so funny to me.

Rats and Ponies unite!

Senua

I mean if you prefer xbot 🤷‍♂️
I'd prefer we all just get along :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

6GF5-4YhhCFxiJEZ9RLm3XLHPOlOx4ao1SxAp4YkfHjq4Whb9u7-kUOfzaEI2HwzDkfu9Yw17r8aJJoVsy_uo8Y2aISYQM_xqDJkQ6GLjFO4JwN481cne-UTgqquuRUZSV__uZGZdNn70Vmp0w

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Tbh, I wish it was everywhere, the game and tango deserve it. I want them to do a sick Netflix anime with insane animation on the boss fights for this game, with an ikiller soundtrack.

Someone make it happen ffs, I swear these suits are dumb as fuck!

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I made it in ai creator last week. I put a green rat dressed as deckard from blade runner and this is what I got.

Thought it would be funny for you guys on here.

Who was the guy that got banned, that it reminded you of?
Some PS fan who I think started the green rat thing when they were getting banned, I think they had a Kratos avatar.

So critically acclaimed game that's also loved by the fans that was a contender (not a winner?) that has a strong enough Xbox identity that releasing it on other platforms would possibly upset hardcore fans.

Halo Infinite is the one that really comes to mind. It also makes a great deal of sense of a game like that benefitting from a larger base for crossplay.

Still, in my heart it's MS flight simulator even if there's zero chance of it happening.

Darsxx82

Surely yes to the most faithful/radical ones. But I think more for the fact of becoming ammunition in favor of the PS fans of Twitter and their bet/desire that the Xbox console is going to disappear in 2027 or that the reasons to buy an Xbox console are few or none if its best games come out on other platforms....

It Is why I bet MS will surely announce some XBOX exclusive at the same time as that port is announced to satisfy some and silence the loudspeaker of others... More than anything because I think that MS knows that with its ambiguity it not only harms its console business (which is still the basis of its gaming business), also its PC and subscription business if it lets the message grow that XBOX exclusive games will sooner or later come to PS/Switch.

Killjoy-NL

Huh? Hi-Fi is Tango Gameworks. How on earth would it make sense for a Sony-owned first-party studio to release an Xbox exclusive in 2023? 🤔
Sunset overdrive. Hi fi rush was not made by insomniac. I have doubts for Starfield, because we know that DLCs are coming for it. So they will want to port the game when all DLCs are already made for Xbox IMHO. Easier to do for the studio, allow for a easier marketing message : the game is finished, get it now on PS5! This is if the game get a PS5 version. This kind of game would need 1 year or more to feel like a Xbox exclusive and not upset gamers too much. Doing it now, before E3 2024 would be inconsiderate of the Xbox buyers for me. Let them fix it first, allow the negativity and anger that some people have against it to decrease. And Xbox need to have the mods ready to go because it is one of the advantages that the platform have over Playstation. It would help and make the Xbox the superior version without angering PS5 users.
Yeah, my bad. Got confused with Sunset Overdrive.

Deft Beck

No, it's not going to be Pentiment. Too obscure and not worth the port cost. It's going to be Hi-Fi Rush. Or it's something boring like Halo Infinite going cross platform.

Mr Moose

So critically acclaimed game that's also loved by the fans that was a contender (not a winner?) that has a strong enough Xbox identity that releasing it on other platforms would possibly upset hardcore fans.

Halo Infinite is the one that really comes to mind. It also makes a great deal of sense of a game like that benefitting from a larger base for crossplay.

Still, in my heart it's MS flight simulator even if there's zero chance of it happening.
I bought Halo MCC the other day, must've been what green lit it.
:messenger_beaming:

Leagues better than just on xbox, by sheer orders of magnitude due to install base.

It's a solid point. Maybe xbox could see success treating playstation like Sony does PC. Release the games a year or so later on playstation. This way they are trying to tempt people to the platform if they want the games day one and also for the many that will be happy to wait, they will get them on playstation.

I think the majority would wait and Microsoft still gets the cash. Makes sense.

Gamepass doesn't exist on PlayStation so there's a pretty big incentive to release their if sales are important to them.

Switch 2 is my guess, and Hi Fi Rush would be the smart play on Microsoft’s end.

I think Nintendo fans would eat it up.
I guess for asian market, they will start porting more smaller games on Switch. Especially coming from asian (japanese mainly) developers due to huge huge Nintendo domination. Nintendo is akin PC for Japan basically with its market share. Will be make japanese acquisitions easier as if the studio will be allowed to release the games on Switch, it will be easier to sell.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Yah I saw people saying that, but whilst people loved it, I just don’t recall it ever being presented as “game of the year” material. And the strange way they worded it makes edges me towards starfield.

Might just be me being hopeful that it’s paired with a major overhaul, which if it is I might actually be tempted to double dip and buy it on PlayStation (prefer the ecosystem and controller). Only got about 20-30h in on the seriesX before dropping it. I reallllly wanted to like that damn game and had looked forward to it for years.

When it released it was considered as one of the strongest releases of 2023. It was before games like Baldur's Gate 3, Zelda, Alan Wake II, etc, hence that's why I think that's why his odd phrasing was related to this game

This coming to Switch also fits with MS's past moves as they did released several of their games on Switch in the past. Hi-Fi Rush similary as Ori is a game that should resonate really well with Nintendo's playerbase

Let's be real here. MS will do everything they can to keep Bethesda Game Studios games on Xbox's ecosystem. While Starfield is a very flawed game, it's still a very strong title that can give them sales. Hi-Fi Rush on the other hand is highly acclaimed game that didn't have the same system seller potential. That's why I think among MS titles it could find second life on other platforms

Astray

Gold Member
Hifi Rush is one of the few new current gen IPs that acted as a positive differentiator for Microsoft (others are either long-standing franchises or were introduced last gen)

It going so quickly to a competitor does not signal their hopes of growing the Xbox console base at all. I would be very cautious of investing (further) funds into the Xbox platform.

RedC

OIG..e16OOlPofLT_baAmWdb
OIG.aK1j9sQgR99xYmIqYbYt

Prompt: "In a surreal tableau, a pack of vividly green rats, adorned with emerald-hued fur, gathers in reverent unity around a towering and intricately adorned Xbox idol, their tiny paws raised in adoration, while the colossal gaming deity emanates an ethereal glow, casting a pixelated aura that mesmerizes the rodent congregation in a surreal display of devotion to the virtual realm, <insert artist, artstyle>"

Last edited:
Shinobi already said that there would be several MS firsts that would end up in the competition, such as dusk falls on PS5, Hifi rush on Switch, etc... little by little they will become third.

RedC

I don't want to leave any Sony ponies out of the fun so...

OIG.6KcHEtVEaHj1UCQafwXS

OIG.b0XXJRGQelbKcjwCHi5V
OIG.se2OA3_M9Zxn_nGny_41

Prompt: "In a fantastical setting, a herd of azure ponies with luminous blue coats congregates in a circular formation, their graceful forms arranged in awe-inspired reverence as they worship a monumental PlayStation idol adorned with celestial symbols, the radiant glow of the idol casting a mesmerizing aura, and each pony, with wide eyes reflecting the pixelated brilliance, displaying a unified homage to the gaming deity in a surreal and enchanting display, <insert artist, artstyle>"

Last edited:
Top Bottom