• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog receives 120 PS4 dev kits

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sony is Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog is Sony. The ICE-Team, which is one of the main technology groups withing SCE, is part of ND. They develop the tools for all first party studios. They're so deeply intertwined they can't be sold like that.
How naughty.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I think we'll see at least one new IP from ND this gen, but I think we'll at see a sequel first.

Agreed. I'm all for Naughty Dog making a new IP, but people need to be realistic here. This isn't like previous gens for them. They didn't lose their current IP (Crash) nor did it drop in sales and review scores (Jak). Uncharted is extremely popular and they've continually mentioned in interviews that they're very much interested in making more games in the series if that's what fans want.

It's certainly possible that their first next-gen game will be a new IP. After all it'll be three years since the release of Uncharted 3 by the time that it's released and that's how long it took them to go from Crash to Jak and from Jak to Uncharted. But I also think that there's probably a better chance that we're going to see a rebooted Uncharted instead.

Drek

Well, yeah, but the people working there are not Sony's property, and it's pretty much the thing that matters.

So I guess having a good relationship with them and making them happy could be one of Sony's priorities.

It most likely was not what he meant, but saying "ND is Sony, this doesn't matter" may not be exactly true.

Except Sony has been replacing key staff at ND for nearly as long as they've owned them, without missing a beat.

Rubin and Gavin were only around for 4 years after the purchase. They left and Sony replaced them with Amy Hennig who wrote The Last of Us. She's still with them but they had Druckman work with her on Uncharted before tapping him for The Last of Us.

Same with Sony Santa Monica. Jaffe led the first God of War, then left so they had Barlog lead the second game where he topped it's predecessor. Then he left, Stig Asmussen took over and delivered an exceptional God of War III. He's now making his own IP and they had Toddy Papy direct GoW: Ascension instead. Hell, even with Ready at Dawn handling the PSP games they had Ru Weerasuriya direct the first game and Dana Jan direct the second (Werasuriya did help write both games, as did Barlog).

New director every God of War game, never missed a beat.

Sony's first party studio managers have an eye for talent and it's not exactly easy to poach someone like an Allan Becker type when Sony promotes them up the executive ladder aggressively and no other video game industry entity really rivals the scope of Sony's corporate hierarchy.

Worldwide Studios bleeds talent all the time but they replace with similar talent just as quickly. In turn they offer anyone who works for them exceptional levels of creative freedom, funding, and technical support. That is how you get the best results out of your creative staff, and something Sony Computer Entertainment at least has made part of it's corporate culture.

Radec

Hardly new, since this is the equivalent of a Retro employee posting about receiving a bunch of WiiU dev-kits.

Retro or P*.

The difference is this is Naughty Dog. Thats why.

No sooner did they post that image when Arthur Gies replies with:

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies
@cbalestra @geoffkeighley those boxes look EXACTLY the same as the ps3 devkits. i do not know why that occurs to me.

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/379661789643800576

He's baiting dont fall for it.

beast786

Sony is Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog is Sony. The ICE-Team, which is one of the main technology groups withing SCE, is part of ND. They develop the tools for all first party studios. They're so deeply intertwined they can't be sold like that.

I dont think that is true. I believe they are in the same building or something. If I am not wrong the ICE team consist of people from ND , SSM etc. Not just ND.

I dont think that is true. I believe they are in the same building or something. If I am not wrong the ICE team consist of people from ND , SSM etc. Not just ND.

It sounds like they're just ND as of 2010

It sort of feels like he has so many stories you could tell in a smaller space.

Yeah, and each one of the episodes is sort of like a standalone thing and I think we could do it pretty easily if we can find a different partner to work with, I'd love to. Going back to the technology question, though, we do have a team at Naughty Dog called the Ice Team. And they have been working since, I don't know how long, probably five or six years on PlayStation 3 technology writing.

Is that team internal to Naughty Dog?

Yes.

I did not know that. I thought it was a Sony first-party team.

Yeah, it's internal to us.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/13/interview-naughty-dog-co-president-evan-wells/

mekes

Hoping for a new IP, since lets face it, ND have the skill to give us something new that is also great.

Meatyhooks

Neo Member
Start drooling, GAF

9jxj.png

qrue.jpg

Looks like Sony can produce quite a few dev kits.

I'm so excited.

Rozart

Ugggh. The VGAs can't come soon enough.

I want my Uncharted 4 but-- TLOU2? New IP? I'll happily take anything they throw at us.

Seriously though, after TLOU-- Naughty Dog has become one of the few, few developers that I get hyped about no matter the genre/franchise. They made me play a survival horror/stealth game (a kinda no-no genre for me) and somehow made me enjoy playing it-- so much so that I'd rate it as one of my top games of this gen.

beast786

Thanks for the correction.

For some reason I knew they were in the same building. But I thought the group was more varied and consist of people working all around WWS.

My info which made me believe same building but not exclusively ND .

Sony ICE Team is one of three first party technology internal development teams of SCE Worldwide Studios.

The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles for the PlayStation 3, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and GUI profiling and debugging tools.

More recently the ICE Team's scope has expanded in order to build engine components and tools for use by third party developers. The first two of these are PlayStation Edge, a set of components that enables developers to get better performance out of the PlayStation 3, and GCM Replay, which provides analysis, debugging, and profiling for the .

ICE Team resides in the same building as Naughty Dog.

http://wikibin.org/articles/ice-team.html

Bundy

Banned
i just hope that means Knack is going to surprise us all. Seems most underwhelming launch game and I'm trying to keep excited for it since it's the only launch game like it and I love the idea of a send-up to oldschool PS1-era action platformers >_<
KNACK is not a AAA super-blockbuster etc. game.
It's a small game by a very small team/group inside SCE's Japan Studios.
It looks damn good for that and it is a "family oriented" game.
Main goal -> FUN
People seem to forget what this game actually is.
And btw. it's an adventure game with platform elements (see Jak/Crash) and not a pure platformer.

Hoping for a new IP, since lets face it, ND have the skill to give us something new that is also great.
We should give it rest with the "new IP" shouts.
We're talking about business here!
It's always a big risk and it costs a lot of money when a dev/publisher starts/greenlights a new IP.
UNCHARTED is one of SCE's TOP3 IP's.
They already have a new IP with THE LAST OF US.
So be thankful for that and let them make a new Uncharted and later a sequel to their newest IP (TLOU).
You will see new IP's by different SCEWW studios. It's their turn.
Naughty already has a new IP.

Caronte

They left and Sony replaced them with Amy Hennig who wrote The Last of Us. She's still with them but they had Druckman work with her on Uncharted before tapping him for The Last of Us

Isn't Druckmann the writer of The Last of Us? I guess you meant to say Hennig wrote the Uncharted series.

Jotaka

Thanks for the correction.

For some reason I knew they were in the same building. But I thought the group was more varied and consist of people working all around WWS.

ICE team is just one of many technological groups in WW studios.

http://www.worldwidestudios.net/locations/departments

The Global Technology division comprises several teams located in the UK and US

ICE team (based within the Naughty Dog studio in Santa Monica, CA)

Tools and Technology Group based in Foster City, CA

Advanced Technology Group based in the London and Cambridge studios

Online Technology Group, San Diego campus and London Studio.

Services Group, based in San Diego and Foster City

SHIP team, based in Foster City

Ricky_R

They left and Sony replaced them with Amy Hennig who wrote The Last of Us. She's still with them but they had Druckman work with her on Uncharted before tapping him for The Last of Us.

The last of Us was written by Neil. Amy was the lead writer for Uncharted, but she didn't take part in TLOU afaik.

Hexa

Am I the only one that can't see the scrolling effect everyone's talking about? I feel like I'm missing out. :(

beast786

ICE team is just one of many technological groups in WW studios.

http://www.worldwidestudios.net/locations/departments

ICE team (based within the Naughty Dog studio in Santa Monica, CA)

Tools and Technology Group based in Foster City, CA

Advanced Technology Group based in the London and Cambridge studios

Online Technology Group, San Diego campus and London Studio.

Services Group, based in San Diego and Foster City

SHIP team, based in Foster City

Thanks for the info

According to Linkedin from 201 to 500 employees

500 people? That can't be right. Those probably are contractors. They're more like around 220.

Anyway, I can't wait for the VGA's for a new ND tease. It better not be the single player DLC for TLOU. I want my lovable Drake and Sully back for another adventure!

I like to think ICE team as Sony's super elite special forces division lol

And, wouldn't you know it, Mark Cerny had a part in creating ICE Team. I doubt he helps much there anymore, as he obviously has been busy with more important things. He discussed it in one of this keynotes.

500 people? That can't be right. Those probably are contractors. They're more like around 220.

They don't have 500, that's just how LinkedIn classifies sizes of companies. They have 100-200, 200-500, 500-1000, and such.

Based on LinkedIn's, Naughty Dog has around 270 employees at the moment. Not all are necessarily developers and some are in ICE instead of the game development team, but that matches with the approximation that each core team of ND is around 100-130 people.

AFAIK, ND doesn't really do outsourcing or contracts a lot, they pull resources from the 2nd-team if they need to crunch stuff. TLoU apparently pulled half of the 2nd team resources for the final rush to completion or something.

I like to think ICE team as Sony's super elite special forces division lol

lol their task was to break the code of the SPU's before the system launched, then distribute the internal API they build to the first party teams. Cerny being a part of that ICE team.

They pretty much are Sony's special forces. If they can break the SPU puzzle and make them work ala Ratchet and Clank : Tools of Destruction ( just leagues beyond anything released at that time ) .. the PS4 will be like programming on the Commodore 64 for them.

lol their task was to break the code of the SPU's before the system launched, then distribute the internal API they build to the first party teams. Cerny being a part of that ICE team.

They pretty much are Sony's special forces. If they can break the SPU puzzle and make them work ala Ratchet and Clank : Tools of Destruction ( just leagues beyond anything released at that time ) .. the PS4 will be like programming on the Commodore 64 for them.

And then Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was released one month after Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.

They don't have 500, that's just how LinkedIn classifies sizes of companies. They have 100-200, 200-500, 500-1000, and such.

Based on LinkedIn's, Naughty Dog has around 270 employees at the moment. Not all are necessarily developers and some are in ICE instead of the game development team, but that matches with the approximation that each core team of ND is around 100-130 people.

AFAIK, ND doesn't really do outsourcing or contracts a lot, they pull resources from the 2nd-team if they need to crunch stuff. TLoU apparently pulled half of the 2nd team resources for the final rush to completion or something.
Ah okay. I don't have very much experience with LinkedIn and didn't realize they categorized companies in that fashion.
Regarding outsourcing, ND supposedly did quite a bit for TLOU. This was pretty apparent when you viewed the credits for TLOU.

explodet

I just wrote up some notes on Neil Druckmann's keynote here in Toronto, about the story development for The Last of Us. It's in the community thread because there were tons of spoilers.

One non-spoiler point: during the Q&A, he stated that the Sony execs gave absolutely NO creative notes for The Last of Us. That's how much they trust ND.

I just wrote up some notes on Neil Druckmann's keynote here in Toronto, about the story development for The Last of Us. It's in the community thread because there were tons of spoilers.

One non-spoiler point: during the Q&A, he stated that the Sony execs gave absolutely NO creative notes for The Last of Us. That's how much they trust ND.

Yeah and it was a good decision cause the game has already sold 4 million copies.

Loofy

For some reason I always assumed that smaller developers got like 1 or 2 dev kits, while bigger development teams had like 10 at most.

rdrr gnr

Hmm, that's rare. I guess it makes sense though.

No way Sony would allow the 2nd team's PS4 title to be delayed significantly.
I would be willing to bet almost every major developer creating a AAA game does some degree of outsourcing. GG said for KZ:SF they are doing more outsourcing than they have ever done before.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to read that.

cchum

Yea, judging from TLOU credits, every major Chinese graphics house was used by ND. Well worth it in the end though.

dem unique assets everywhere. I think Yoshida was the one pushing for ICE (initiative for common engine) team. He definitely was behind SCEWWS and tech sharing. The man nods whats up.

Truespeed

I can't wait to hear all of the hazing stories the Sr. Dev kits are going to pull on those Jr. Dev Kits. There are now so many dev kits at ND that the dev kits have dev kits - they roll like that, recursively that is.

Top Bottom