• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog reveals The Last of Us alternate ending image

khaaan

You can backtrack and examine the body

And even if that weren't the case, I feel it would be kind of cheap if they decided
Tess is also immune. I mean the end of the game takes place almost a year after the point of her being bitten.

That take on the ending is still really cool. I wouldn't have necessarily liked it better but if the execution was right it could have been just as good.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
One day, I'll make a thread for all the people who hated this ending.
I don't think Joel ever pretended even for a second to being a good guy. Tess was no angel either and proves how ruthless she can be early in the game. I just don't see how we go from them having a strong relationship to Joel being tied up in a chair with his hair being pulled back.

Tess was all about that life from the first minute you're introduced to her. "These dudes jumped me over some chump change - so I killed them. I'm gonna kill their entire crew and leader now, you ready to go?" Meanwhile, Joel flounders for the first 2 segments of the game because he can't fully commit to Tess' thinking. Kinda funny that dude wants to settle down with the most hardcore woman left on Earth but never tries to actually stop her from doing shit...

daveo42

Banned
The game's story would have needed to be somewhat different if that was an alternate ending.

Glad it turned out like it did. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Spoiler tags in thread about the ending... I don't get it,but anyway I am guessing that is supposed to be Marlene and Joel dies in order to save Ellie.

And even if that weren't the case, I feel it would be kind of cheap if they decided
Tess is also immune. I mean the end of the game takes place almost a year after the point of her being bitten.

That take on the ending is still really cool. I wouldn't have necessarily liked it better but if the execution was right it could have been just as good.

We don't see Tess die. She must be in it. Who knows.

DY_nasty

We don't see Tess die. She must be in it. Who knows.
Tess gets shot and she was infected shortly before. She is super dead. Only thing she didn't get is a professional autopsy - you can actually go back and check out her body yourself, but I guess Joel isn't a doctor.

Gartooth

Love the ending we got way and I thought it fit the nature of "The Last of Us" much better. Granted it would be really cool to see this alternate ending put in the game as DLC down the road.

jett

D-Member
Man some people in this thread are kinda daft. Obviously the overall story used to be quite different from what we ended up getting, this isn't just a "twist" ending that ended up being cut at the last minute.

Is the tweet (?) really indicating that this pic is linked to the alternate ending? I'm pretty sure this piece of concept art was in the The Art of The Last of Us.

EDIT: Yup, pages 44-45 is dedicated to Tess and it states that she was the main antagonist early on in development. Also the pic is there.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Man some people in this thread are kinda daft. Obviously the overall story used to be quite different from what we ended up getting, this isn't just a "twist" ending that ended up being cut at the last minute.

obviously? is what you're saying confirmed in an interview someplace or are you speculating like everyone else here?

I should be obvious if people looked at the date of the art. 2010 is a long time ago.

obviously? is what you're saying confirmed in an interview someplace or are you speculating like everyone else here?

Look at the date of the art.

jett

D-Member

Obvious to anyone with a moderately functioning brain. There's no other way the scene in that concept art would even remotely work.

This was also probably around the time that they were kicking around the idea of having a dog with Ellie and Joel. I believe they said that it was one of the first things they cut when they really started to think about the direction they were going in.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the documentary shows how much influence the actors had in developing the story. ashley's influence in particular made ellie a much better character - i wish we had seen even more about how the story developed.

Obvious to anyone with a moderately functioning brain. There's no other way the scene in that concept art would even remotely work.

right so you're just speculating, got it

DY_nasty

the documentary shows how much influence the actors had in developing the story. ashley's influence in particular made ellie a much better character - i wish we had seen even more about how the story developed.

right so you're just speculating, got it

How do you say that there was a lot of change and development over the course of the making of the game, see the date on the image, and continue to say its just speculation?

In order for the image to be a simple cut and past alternate ending, they'd have to rework an incredibly large portion of the game.

Not only alternative ending, alternative everything.
The artbook says that Tess was originally going to be the main villain in the game. This is the ending in that parallel universe, I guess.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
That is not Tess. The person in the artwork is Marlene which is the same clothing she had on when Joel killed her at the end.

I imagine they catch Joel escaping with Ellie and kill him. Maybe Ellie escapes but Joel stays behind to give her time which leads to being captured and tortured.

BLTG3n0

Neo Member
Definitely glad with the ending we originally got, it just seems to have much more of an impact than if it had of played out like this.

sangreal

Tess gets shot and she was infected shortly before. She is super dead. Only thing she didn't get is a professional autopsy - you can actually go back and check out her body yourself, but I guess Joel isn't a doctor.

Nothing some antibiotics can't cure

RedAssedApe

Banned
That is not Tess. The person in the artwork is Marlene which is the same clothing she had on when Joel killed her at the end.

I imagine they catch Joel escaping with Ellie and kill him. Maybe Ellie escapes but Joel stays behind to give her time which leads to being captured and tortured.

not sure if serious...

Demon Ice

Banned
At first I didn't realize that was the hilt of a knife in her hand. I thought she was straight up ripping out his trachea.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure that's Marlene, guys.

Edit 2: Oh shit never mind, it is Tess. The hairband. Whaaaaaaat

Kinyou

What the fuck? Tess?

Not only alternative ending, alternative everything.
The artbook says that Tess was originally going to be the main villain in the game. This is the ending in that parallel universe, I guess.
When I think about it, having
Tess tell you at the end that they have to kill Ellie would have made a much bigger impact. (of course you'd have to lose the whole death scene,)

Also a bit surprised a ´bout the people saying they don't like it. A lot of it seems rather unclear I wouldn't say that just because
Joel seems to be dying makes ita worse ending

Top Bottom