• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog reveals The Last of Us alternate ending image

Alienous

Tess gets shot and she was infected shortly before. She is super dead. Only thing she didn't get is a professional autopsy - you can actually go back and check out her body yourself, but I guess Joel isn't a doctor.

Assuming this ending was planned, Tess probably wouldn't of had such a clear-cut death. You'd hear gunshots, assume she died, and like Marlene she would turn up later in the game. The narrative would have been quite a bit different, because either Tess would track Joel, or Joel would return to the original quarantine zone.

Assuming this ending was planned, Tess probably wouldn't of had such a clear-cut death. You'd hear gunshots, assume she died, and like Marlene she would turn up later in the game. The narrative would have been quite a bit different, because either Tess would track Joel, or Joel would return to the original quarantine zone.

Yeah. That's what I feel as well. Seems like
Tess getting infected was part of the game, but not that soon. They must've planned it so that she gets infected way later in the game (or towards the end), and that she will require Ellie to be sacrificed in order to get the cure for herself. Marlene's role seemed to be much shorter, and that it would've been Tess instead that would've lead the team in Quarantine Zone. She would've pretended to be "killed", only to reappear towards the end.

methane47

pretty sure that picture is in the unlock gallery.
There is some really great art in there. you all should check it out.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Man some people in this thread are kinda daft. Obviously the overall story used to be quite different from what we ended up getting, this isn't just a "twist" ending that ended up being cut at the last minute.

Yup, this guy gets it. Would love to know how this alternate story went though.

Also, why are people using spoiler tags? This entire thread is a massive spoiler, if you come in this thread not having played the game then that is your fault.

Maybe it's revealed that Marlene and Tess are actually the same person with multiple personality disorder. TWIST SON. And then she kills joel because idk

The ending to the game is probably my favorite video game ending. Speaking of only that final scene. Great things are said, great music is played. It was ace. I don't know what's going on in that picture, but I can't imagine it being an improvement on what we got.

Did you just spoil RDR for me on a TLoU thread? Seriously?

Jerk.

I played the game, know the ending and can't imagine what you're going to pull from it based on that image.

FDC1

Still, it's a TLOU topic, people are expecting that what is under the spoiler tags is about TLOU,he should have warned he was spoiling another game. (if he was, I haven't played RDR.)

Paskil

Wish this would have been included in the art book. I kept myself relatively blacked out prior to release and opening the art book that came with the special edition almost immediately spoiled a big plot point for me (although it's something you learn relatively early).

pa22word

In case it hadn't been mentioned yet:

This image is from the artbook and the caption from the art director mentions that it's based on the initial idea for the game, which featured Tess as the antagonist. Everyone in here bitching about how "bad" it is have no idea what the context was, and it wasn't like a 1:1 placement over the current ending. It was simply from an earlier drafting of the game's "script", one that in all likelyhood barely resembles what it is now. So please, calm down and chill out about it.

Wish this would have been included in the art book.

It is >.>

It's like in the first section of it, lol.

KageMaru

I loved the ending of LoU, but this would be equally as awesome IMO. I always appreciate things that don't follow the norm.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I like that ending better. It's somewhat more self-contained than the one in the game, which is basically just lazy sequel-baiting IMO.

Its kinda silly to say how glad you are that this isnt the ending when there is zero context.

Maybe it would have been mind blowing and awesome. Of course, the end is already great as is.

weevles

Tess looked pretty
dead
to me. Are we still spoilering things in this thread given the OT title? :p

Anyway, the "real" ending is the best one. This what if scenario is lame and was rightfully dropped.

The Lamp

I like that ending better. It's somewhat more self-contained than the one in the game, which is basically just lazy sequel-baiting IMO.

There is nothing about the real ending that is sequel baiting. The devs have even said themselves that the story is self-contained. The Joel/Ellie story is as complete as it needs to be. Anything more would be extra.

I thought Tess was you know... so how does she kill Joel?
you'd think that even if she was alive she'll just turn into one of them and have no sanity to kidnap Joel

jediyoshi

Tess looked pretty
dead
to me. Are we still spoilering things in this thread given the OT title? :p

Anyway, the "real" ending is the best one. This what if scenario is lame and was rightfully dropped.

It doesn't imply the fate of either of the characters though

Considering it was part of the original pitch, it'd probably fall under more of the original's label. Even the actual ending had a bunch of tonal changes.

I thought Tess was you know... so how does she kill Joel?
you'd think that even if she was alive she'll just turn into one of them and have no sanity to kidnap Joel

This is a bad use of spoiler tags.

Croyles

Damn...
The ending we got is perfect, glad that's what they went with.

Easy:

Tess didn't die and didn't agree with Joel's choice to save Ellie. Remember what she says before she dies, she wanted Joel to complete the mission so there could be a cure. She wouldn't have gotten so attached to Ellie. Joel had the whole thing with his daughter, Tess would've let her die without a second thought. It's actually very interesting but Joel and Ellie needed to be alone for their relationship to evolve the way it did, that's why Tess had to die.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Top Bottom