• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K17 OT? |OT| NBA 2K17 OT.

Has anyone seen HDR working on a PS4? I have it turned on in the PS4 settings but the TV isn't acknowledging it like it does for HDR content on Netflix.

Chase17

Been playing MyCareer exclusively. The pauses in between the action are definitely a pain in the ass, they should allow you skip the pointless transitions in your home base AND the post-game banter between yourself and Justice. I don't mind not being able to skip cutscenes, I get that they want people to see the work, but those transitions are painful.

As far as the gameplay, I can't really tell the difference. I'm more of a casual player, and the game feels like the same 2K as always. I'm still not great at creating shots with the stick, but it could be the fact that my rating is still garbage (63). I'm not serious enough to notice bugs / flaws like those shown in the videos you guys linked.

I hate that precision shooting thing or whatever it is, it feels like shit and for the first time I've resorted to using square to shoot.

Are any of you using the MyNBA2K17 app? I have this weird issue where I can't play unless I'm connected to WiFi. It tells me it can't check for new DLC and to check my internet connection, but I've got full bars. Kind of annoying I can't play during my breaks at work.

Yeah, the pauses between every practice/game is really killing my interest.

rainz

Loving it so far but haven't had time to get many games in.
I mainly play offline MyGm with occasional ventures into play now online etc.

They made a lot of little changes this year that kind of altered the way other things work or broke a few things here and there but I'm still loving it.

I love love love looooove playing against someone like Curry (on all star and up) and seeing him pull up like he does on a fastbreak etc. Its just so gratifying and every year they inch closer to their goal of realism and signature play all around.

Anyways, will post back with more impressions once i get a lot more games in!

I honestly can't see myself making another character considering how much of a grind it's been so far to get 28 badges. I don't even have HOF dimer and ankle breaker and won't be able to get them because the season is ending soon. At around 800 assists and 10~ games left. Either I stretch out the playoffs or drop 40 assists a game. It's ridiculous. Why are playmakers such a grind when sharpshooters, the most OP build so far, can get their HOF badges faster with less effort?

And then the unskippable cutscenes lol

I might be just about ready to give up on MyCareer. This just isn't fun grinding for VC and all the unskippable scenes, and doing the same old practices over and over before I can get to a game. I prefer when you could just create a player, and put him directly on your favorite team.

anddo0

This game needs a patch bad.. The CPU takes way too many threes (even with slider adjustments)

Also the defense feels very lax, players don't run through picks, way too many recovery shot contests. It's like every time you come down the court, your entry team decides to collapse into the lane, constantly creating recovery situations; which leads to the CPU (and myself) taking a ton of pull up threes and jumpers. The user can counter this with half court press/trap, the CPU is helpless. It's like 2K wants you to shoot threes all day, that's how far back the half-court defense for most teams starts... Gordon Hayward should not have 18 three point attempts in one game BY HiMSLEF.

Commentary is way too chatty... It's too scripted.. Way too much talk about the past, and not even enough chatter about the context of the game.. IRL if a commentator has running dialogue, he'll interrupt it to comment on the game at hand, not in 2K. The worst part of the commentary is timeouts, you'll have Webber rambling about something or another, pause during the timeout, and then continue from mid dialogue when play resumes, it all feels so disjointed.. 2 steps forward with more diverse commentary and lines, 10 steps backward, none of it is relevant to the games at hand, just a bunch of bios on every player/team in the NBA.

I was playing Mycareer, and then I started playing Fifa 17 story mode and it puts nba 2k17 to shame. How much better would this game be if we didn't have to spend forever grinding for VC. In previous years it wasn't that bad, but now we start at like 55 player rating. Why do you do this 2k? Why do you make it so hard for me to love you?

ViciousDS

Banned
I was playing Mycareer, and then I started playing Fifa 17 story mode and it puts nba 2k17 to shame. How much better would this game be if we didn't have to spend forever grinding for VC. In previous years it wasn't that bad, but now we start at like 55 player rating. Why do you do this 2k? Why do you make it so hard for me to love you?

This is one thing NBA Live did so right. You start literally as a rookie in rank, a 73 overall and its really easy to level abilities. Also leveling up dribbling unlocks dribble moves FOR FREE. Put enough points in 3 point and you will unlock 3-4 different shooting forms along the way by all stars. Level up low post defense and you get certain shoes and stuff. You also can at least level up a skill by 4 points almost every single game.....it may not be the one you want, but you didn't have to spend literal hours towards to the end just to level a skill.

I really hope the NBA live they bring out in the spring is fucking good......this grinding shit is only getting worse....because the whales are getting bigger.

The unskippable everything in MyCareer and the garbage ass stat caps are fucking killing me. I don't even want to bother with the mode anymore. Fantasy draft MyGM it is.

The fact that they don't get shit for VC from journalists is boggling.
The unskippable everything in MyCareer and the garbage ass stat caps are fucking killing me. I don't even want to bother with the mode anymore. Fantasy draft MyGM it is.
They are really killing career with these artificial caps. They want people to specialize but don't allow you to specialize the way you want to.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Career mode would have been a lot better if it was split in two like FIFA this year. Give us a mode where you play as Michael B. Jordan and have all the scripted stuff and cutscenes take place there, and then make a seperate career mode for your own player where you have control over everything like the last gen NBA 2k games.

It's depressing to think how many gameplay features were removed in favor of this silly storyline stuff: D-League, summer camps, predraft workouts & interviews, press conferences after every game, sitdowns with the GM, dynamic goals during games etc.

So much bugs in this game but I still love it. What I hated the most is the timeouts (I just play my league or play now). The coach model is always the same coach as well every timeouts.

What I love is the dribbling system. If you're used to 2k16, you'll struggle a bit for several games till you get hang of it. But damn it's deadly once you know how to use it.

Also:Why is the injury so frequent? There's like one or two almost every game. One time I lost 3 players in one game.

cHinzo

I hate the grind and there are just so many bugs in the game, it's ridiculous. I still love basketball though. Just gonna get the badges I want in MyCareer and then have some fun. Prolly gonna take the whole season for the HoF badges for Point Forward though, who even came up with the requirements...

Park is lots of fun this year, even though those sharpshooters are ridiculous. They shouldn't have that much range on such a high accuracy. I'm hoping NBA Live is any good this year, might gonna grab next year's game if 2K stays the same with the graphics and amount of bugs, while Live improves.

I hate the grind and there are just so many bugs in the game, it's ridiculous. I still love basketball though. Just gonna get the badges I want in MyCareer and then have some fun. Prolly gonna take the whole season for the HoF badges for Point Forward though, who even came up with the requirements...

Park is lots of fun this year, even though those sharpshooters are ridiculous. They shouldn't have that much range on such a high accuracy. I'm hoping NBA Live is good this year, might gonna grab next year's game if 2K stays the same with the graphics and amount of bugs, while Live improves.
Ain't no live this year. This'll be my last 2K for awhile, there's too much shit that gets swept under the rug and the VC is getting more annoying every year.

Jarate

Banned
Anypne else have it on PC

not nearly as buggy as last years release, but it runs like shit compared to last year (I was somehow able to get 4k 60fps last year with a 670, this year I can only run 1080p)

My favorite thing is the introduction of expac teams and being able to start in free agency from the previous year (Somehow either Ingram or Simmons always fall to the 4th pick lol)

Mycareer is bad jntil you put money into being at least competent. I can still aberage around 15 points and 7 boards coming off the bench in my career as a 7'3" Center.

my biggest complaint is they didnt add any Historic teams. Theres a lot of fun teams that are missing that I'd love too see. Dream Team also cant be used outside of Quickplay which sucks ass.

charsace

Based on what I'm reading here, I think I'll be sticking with Frequency Vibrations for another year. Uh, uh, swish.
The on court basketball is way better than other years. I tried to play 2k16 and it just feels bad in comparison to 2k17.

The grind is crazy though. I spent $60 on cc this year where as I only spent $10 in 2k16.

ViciousDS

Banned

Park is lots of fun this year, even though those sharpshooters are ridiculous. They shouldn't have that much range on such a high accuracy. I'm hoping NBA Live is any good this year, might gonna grab next year's game if 2K stays the same with the graphics and amount of bugs, while Live improves.

live is in the spring, around playoffs

jmizzal

This game needs a patch bad.. The CPU takes way too many threes (even with slider adjustments)

Also the defense feels very lax, players don't run through picks, way too many recovery shot contests. It's like every time you come down the court, your entry team decides to collapse into the lane, constantly creating recovery situations; which leads to the CPU (and myself) taking a ton of pull up threes and jumpers. The user can counter this with half court press/trap, the CPU is helpless. It's like 2K wants you to shoot threes all day, that's how far back the half-court defense for most teams starts... Gordon Hayward should not have 18 three point attempts in one game BY HiMSLEF.

Commentary is way too chatty... It's too scripted.. Way too much talk about the past, and not even enough chatter about the context of the game.. IRL if a commentator has running dialogue, he'll interrupt it to comment on the game at hand, not in 2K. The worst part of the commentary is timeouts, you'll have Webber rambling about something or another, pause during the timeout, and then continue from mid dialogue when play resumes, it all feels so disjointed.. 2 steps forward with more diverse commentary and lines, 10 steps backward, none of it is relevant to the games at hand, just a bunch of bios on every player/team in the NBA.

PS4 patch is out, PC and Xbox one still waiting

I preordered the patch suppose to fix the 92 Dream team not being in the game too

Brinbe

Been playing a mix of mycareer and mygm. Probably more the latter so far. I think the gameplay took a turn for the worse in the latest patch. The zip on the passes and frequency of passing is out of wack now/Defensive AI needs a lot of help/shooting percentages overall are still way too high/contested shots go in at too high a clip but I'm still enjoying the game. I put the game on HOF, then equalized the sliders 50/50 for user/AI across the board and that's produced okay results so far.

HOF initially without patches/slider changes was ridiculous as the CPU had numerous boosts/advantages and the CPU would shoot in the 60/70% range regardless if you played good D. Thankfully, they adjusted it down.

Getting a lot more comfortable with the new dribble system and I can get where I need to go with little problem now. I think the way they implemented the timing on the layups is stupid and atrocious. They set it up where optimally you need to release quickly after you leave your feet, but that's completely not intuitive at all (should be when it leaves your hands) and as a result you brick more layups then you really should (and of course it's not a problem for the CPU that nails perfect releases all day)

Overall though, it's a good game with a good base to work from. Not quite sure if I like it better than 2k16 right now but they still need to keep tweaking/patching till they nail the feel of the game. They're almost there, just needs a few key adjustments. Namely on defense and shooting.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm on PC, hopefully the patch addresses some of the gameplay issues.

its a pretty big patch

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/27/nba-2k17-update-1-03-ps4-now-available-7gb/

Attributes earned exclusively through off-court events (e.g. free throw shooting, stamina, etc.) should now properly be saved to your MyPLAYER once earned.
Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...03-ps4-now-available-7gb/#xsSQJVh6bZgWzb14.99

WOW......just wow......you have been earning stats that didn't even fucking count for almost two weeks until now.

hbkdx12

I think im going to have to leap frog my purchase of 2k if they're going to be the only game on the market. I bought 2k14 with my launch ps4 and i bought 2k16 because i was, regrettably, swayed by the whole spike lee story. I still enjoy 2k16 and by time i get tired of it 2k18 will be in full swing

As someone who mainly plays MyCareer, they really really really need to create separate characters for MyCareer and MyPark/ProAm. All the stat grouping and arbitrary handcuffing make sense in MyPark and ProAm because you don't want everyone in every position running around like Jordan but MyCareer having these kind of limitations and starting you off at 55 Overall is just not fun. I had better control over the type of player i wanted in 2k14 than i do in 2k16 which seems crazy.

Takuan

Are you android? Maybe it's your permissions.
Yeah. I checked permissions first and it has access to everything, so I'm not sure what's up.

Another thing I noticed was I'm missing some player portraits, but I haven't a clue how to get them. Not sure if that's a related issue.

Mortemis

Banned
Been playing a mix of mycareer and mygm. Probably more the latter so far. I think the gameplay took a turn for the worse in the latest patch. The zip on the passes and frequency of passing is out of wack now/Defensive AI needs a lot of help/shooting percentages overall are still way too high/contested shots go in at too high a clip but I'm still enjoying the game. I put the game on HOF, then equalized the sliders 50/50 for user/AI across the board and that's produced okay results so far.

HOF initially without patches/slider changes was ridiculous as the CPU had numerous boosts/advantages and the CPU would shoot in the 60/70% range regardless if you played good D. Thankfully, they adjusted it down.

Getting a lot more comfortable with the new dribble system and I can get where I need to go with little problem now. I think the way they implemented the timing on the layups is stupid and atrocious. They set it up where optimally you need to release quickly after you leave your feet, but that's completely not intuitive at all (should be when it leaves your hands) and as a result you brick more layups then you really should (and of course it's not a problem for the CPU that nails perfect releases all day)

Overall though, it's a good game with a good base to work from. Not quite sure if I like it better than 2k16 right now but they still need to keep tweaking/patching till they nail the feel of the game. They're almost there, just needs a few key adjustments. Namely on defense and shooting.

How's mygm? Any changes this year or the same as 2k16?

Yeah. I checked permissions first and it has access to everything, so I'm not sure what's up.

Another thing I noticed was I'm missing some player portraits, but I haven't a clue how to get them. Not sure if that's a related issue.

I don't have all the portraits either. The app is dumb. Try uninstalling and reboot your phone then reinstall.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think im going to have to leap frog my purchase of 2k if they're going to be the only game on the market. I bought 2k14 with my launch ps4 and i bought 2k16 because i was, regrettably, swayed by the whole spike lee story. I still enjoy 2k16 and by time i get tired of it 2k18 will be in full swing

As someone who mainly plays MyCareer, they really really really need to create separate characters for MyCareer and MyPark/ProAm. All the stat grouping and arbitrary handcuffing make sense in MyPark and ProAm because you don't want everyone in every position running around like Jordan but MyCareer having these kind of limitations and starting you off at 55 Overall is just not fun. I had better control over the type of player i wanted in 2k14 than i do in 2k16 which seems crazy.

That or just cap a player in MyPark but let you continue to improve in the single player game...Or just let you have an offline only character that isnt so handicapped.

I have no interest in MyPark but I am getting handcuffed to try and balance another mode I have no interest in.

Tubobutts

How's mygm? Any changes this year or the same as 2k16?
I've just barely started MyGm but the things I've seen so far have been them letting you start in the offseason, trade protection on picks, voting on rule changes, and a much more in depth way to handle your rotations.

Yeah the caps are stupid. They should separate the two modes. Don't know if it was mentioned in this thread but someone copied their MyPlayer (85-86 ovr) in the Create-a-Player and he turned out to actually be like a 72 or something.

NBA 2K17, MyRolePlayer.

Mortemis

Banned
I've just barely started MyGm but the things I've seen so far have been them letting you start in the offseason, trade protection on picks, voting on rule changes, and a much more in depth way to handle your rotations.

finally. Thanks man, got sick of mycareer because of all the grinding so I had a lot of fun in mygm for 2k16. Sounds like good additions.

knitoe

Yeah. The AI needs to be fix. It constantly leaves man open from the 3 pt line, especially the corners on the fastbreak. Plus, the wtf charging fouls when my player is to the side of the defender. They still happen often when moving the slider to 0. And, is the passing even worse his year. Guy open near the basket, lets throw a slow lob pass which seems to always gets intercepted. Not to mention, pressing right to throw to an open player, but no, lets throw it left cross court which of course gets stolen. Unfortunately, it's still be best bball around so I'll have to put up with all its BS.

Hasney

Didn't buy FIFA because I was having so much fun with MyCareer as it's much better in terms of writing. I just play it on rookie and don't give a damn about my stats. Love the buddy movie feel of the whole thing. ORANGE JUICE!

Took them 4 years, but I'm glad they finally did something good with the cut scenes.

cHinzo

Hmm, at least the deve are still tweaking the numbers of the FG% and the excessive double teaming. Mike Wang is pretty active on their forum. Hope they can get their shit right so halfcourt shots don't have such a high % to go in and the teams don't have such a thing as 70+ FG%.

Morzak

Haven't played the game since the first week. I will wait a few patches until I give it another try, but at the moment Defensive AI is completely broken which makes nearly all game mode outside Pro-AM and Park bad.... And I have no nerve to go through the Slow plod that is MyCareer this year to get my player up and earn the badges...

If they don't change course drastically for next year this will be my last 2K basketball game, the Online portion needs to be decoupled from MyCareer and if you want to tell a linear Story provide a separate Career mode and do a proper story mode....

Fjordson

Hmm, at least the deve are still tweaking the numbers of the FG% and the excessive double teaming. Mike Wang is pretty active on their forum. Hope they can get their shit right so halfcourt shots don't have such a high % to go in and the teams don't have such a thing as 70+ FG%.
The double teaming definitely seems like an issue imo when it comes to the AI. Or at least the manner in which they do it. Even on hall of fame it gets too easy to just pass out of the double for a wide open shot.

hbkdx12

As unrealistic as it would be, as much as it would never ever happen, i really wish they would release a new title every other year and create roster updates, gameplay improvements, presentation updates and community events to keep people invested in the off year. How amazing would it be to know that when you pick up the next game there are going to be sweeping, meaningful changes and the disappearance of legacy issues because they actually have 2 years to iron that stuff out as oppose to a few months between games.

jmizzal

As unrealistic as it would be, as much as it would never ever happen, i really wish they would release a new title every other year and create roster updates, gameplay improvements, presentation updates and community events to keep people invested in the off year. How amazing would it be to know that when you pick up the next game there are going to be sweeping, meaningful changes and the disappearance of legacy issues because they actually have 2 years to iron that stuff out as oppose to a few months between games.

Yup and they could sell those packs for like $19.99 or something

But they know people are gonna spend 59.99 every year so they wont bother doing that.

Takuan

I don't have all the portraits either. The app is dumb. Try uninstalling and reboot your phone then reinstall.

Actually turned out to be a known issue. In the messages area of the app, there's a communication saying it's something they're working on.

Finally got Ankle Breaker HOF. All is left is dimer and I'm already in the 2nd rd of the playoffs. Time to average 50 ast a game.

And Dwight Howard if I catch you out at the 3 pts line one more time holy shit pls

Edit: apparently had HOF dimer this whole time......

Klocker

Was really enjoying this game... to me probably the best NBA 2K release and I have been playing since Dreamcast days it is very smooth and realistic in my opinion not being too anal of course ...but then Forza Horizon released and I'm an addict I am looking forward to getting back to this game in a few weeks 😀

Quick

Banned
Is difficulty set automatically to rookie or something? Game felt too easy, but I've only gotten one game in outside of the Team USA game during installation.

Steal attempts work more than before, and just small things like that.

I also appreciate the tutorials during the install since I feel like I forgot the controls lol.

Top Bottom