• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K6 360 finally dethrones Inside Drive for best BBall game!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Havent seen much mention of this game but it is downright phenomenal IMO.
Graphics are great. Not outstanding but a definite step up from current gen. Everything else is better about this game. From the control to the atmosphere to awesome animations (especially in the post) to the smooooth as butter on a babys ass gameplay.

I'm also loving the amount of freedom you have in terms of crossover moves, behin dthe back, drop step, hop step, etc. They're kind of difficult to pull off on the fly ( a plus IMO) but the fact that they're all there and look great to boot is a huge plus.

This is probably my favorite launch game right now followed closely by Kameo.

*sighsniff* We can only imagine what VC could do for football....

Arsynic

Banned
Interesting tid-bit: Some of the Inside Drive guys work for VC. Once I heard this, I bought the game right away. Inside Drive wasn't the prettiest game on the block, but it came closer to a real basketball simulator than Live or 2K ever did.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Arsynic said:
Interesting tid-bit: Some of the Inside Drive guys work for VC. Once I heard this, I bought the game right away. Inside Drive wasn't the prettiest game on the block, but it came closer to a real basketball simulator than Live or 2K ever did.
Wow. Didnt know that. Good to see that talent isnt being wasted!

hyp

i just rented this yesterday and i'd have to agree. this game rocks. i made the mistake of purchasing nba live 2006 for x360 and am trying to trade it for NBA2k6. a much better game. the only thing 2k6 is lacking is presentation and better graphics.

gameplay wise, best b-ball game hands down.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Wait a minute...

Why does this game (of all games) get a bad rap on grfx?

PhatSaqs

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Wait a minute...

Probably from peeps judging from internet footage? Dont know but i'm playing on a standard TV via component right now I think it looks great. Can only imagine how it looks in HD (soon....). There's definitely some improvement to be made tho mainly in the close-up shots/replays but overall it easily spanks any other Bball game out there right now IMO.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
In terms of graphics:

NBA2K6 on 360 = NBA Jam Arcade

NBA2K6 on XB/PS2 = NBA Jam on SNES

I had to play the Xbox version after playing the 360 version and I nearly slapped myself for thinking the Xbox version looked great.

See the online board for other thoughts!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There's definitely some improvement to be made tho mainly in the close-up shots/replays

Strange. I remember people saying that those looked great, but gameplay looked very curernt-gen... Which makes sense I guess, since the camera's panned out most of the time during gameplay.

I had to play the Xbox version after playing the 360 version and I nearly slapped myself for thinking the Xbox version looked great.

I don't know... I was very underwhelmed w/ this year's graphics on the XBOX. Anything will be an improvement IMO.

hyp

DaCocoBrova said:
Wait a minute...

well, owning nba live 2006 myself i can say that the graphics and presentation beat out NBA2K6 easily. the player models, lighting, crowds and atmosphere are like light and day.

Just curious, does anybody else's copy of 2K6 for 360 only have slideshows for the halftime replay report? I could've sworn I've seen the replays during halftime in motion but on my copy it is only in stills.

Other than that, it is one amazing game. Do not have a clue what 1up was smoking when they scored this BELOW Live.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
VisionaryQuest0 said:
Just curious, does anybody else's copy of 2K6 for 360 only have slideshows for the halftime replay report? I could've sworn I've seen the replays during halftime in motion but on my copy it is only in stills.

Other than that, it is one amazing game. Do not have a clue what 1up was smoking when they scored this BELOW Live.

It's in motion for me. Do you have a hard drive?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
truffleshuffle83 said:
replays of "high profile" players kick the shit out of live, but everyone else looks goofy as hell. see ginobli on the spurs :lol

Kwame Brown of the Lakers looks horribly off, but I still love the game

I guess I will chime in , and give my two cents on this game. In a word, this game is FANTASTIC. Everything about the game screams quality to me. Sure the graphics need a little more work, but the gameplay is absolutely golden. I has this game on the Xbox, and this game outclasses it in so many ways. The biggest impact for me comes in animations. I now have complete control of my Isomotion moves, and it feels good watching a play happen just as your intended it to. The dual player control that was wonky in the Xbox version is perfect now. I can send guys to the perimeter or cutting down the lane easily and effectively. I don't even need to use the complex preset plays as I can make plays happen from using my isomotion moves, dual player control, shot stick, and four quick play options mapped to the d-pad. The post moves are back, and smooth as hell. The Xbox version had post moves that were ugly and ineffective. 360 2K6 fixes all that stuff.

Defensively, the game does nto make as many improvements as it does offensively. The frequency of slam dunks is still a little too high for my taste. It is frustrating as hell to watch Kobe Bryant burrow into my Box-1 zone and throw down a reverse slam. The Rip and Strip system has been tightened up a bit I think. It actually feels like a risky thing to do. I play with the Warriors alot, and striping guards with Baron Davis is around a 30/70 sucess/failure ratio from my experience. It just feels right. The double teaming from the Xbox version was broken. Thankfully, the double teaming in this version works great against people who want to try and break Chamberlain's record in an online game. This fixed mechanic gurantees that one player will not control the outcome of a game (Against me at least).

Online is a dream thus far. No lags or chugginess going on here (even with my custom soundtracks being streamed from my PC). The same comprehenisve scotuing reports on players is here from the current gen versions, and they still are a killer feature for avoiding the cheese.

This game slaps the shit out of Live '06. I downloaded that POS demo on marketplace, and 2K6 is better in so many ways it is not even a contest. Live looked pretty when it wasn't stuttering as it struggled to maintain its 30 fps gameplay. Be smart sports gamers, and buy the best basketball game ever released.

Kingpen

The wife is mad at me for buying a 7th launch game, but I had to have this game based on the feedback I have heard. I have been a casual basketball player, and have liked the 2k series since DC days. Good to hear the feedback. I already love NHL2k6 360 for being so competent in the gameplay department, and the graphics are fine for me since everything is so clear and no jaggies at all.

Can't wait to be blown away by the NBA graphics in combo with the series great gameplay.

Top Bottom