• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"NBC has killed the Bill Cosby pilot amid the mounting accusations of rape..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
ZA6nMwB.jpg

"After mounting public pressure, and a rash of renewed and new criminal accusations against Cosby, NBC has dumped the developing sitcom it had once touted..."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/janice-dickinson-says-bill-cosby-raped-her

.GqueB.

Banned
Someone made a point earlier about how Cosbys' career is now being destroyed by a comedian who he likely influenced and paved the way for.

I find shit like that so fascinating.

Cheebo

Banned
It's crazy. His netflix special and new show was going to be his comeback.

Hannibal Burris effectively destroyed his comeback. And it couldn't happen to a worse person. Good riddance.

120v

regardless of rape stuff guy is too old to start a new show. he can hardly even form a coherent sentence now

Takuan

It's not like he needed the show. I'd much rather hear him speak on this. I'm of the belief that he probably did drug and rape those women, but I want to hear what he has to say.

All he has to lose at this point is some money and his reputation.

regardless of rape stuff guy is too old to start a new show. he can hardly even form a coherent sentence now
Is this true? From what I've heard, his stand-up is still amazing.

Bgamer90

Banned
Someone made a point earlier about how Cosbys' career is now being destroyed by a comedian who he likely influenced and paved the way for.

Yeah, it is definitely an interesting point (though not to make light of this serious situation).

Mr. Cosby, I really came to tell you that our business deal has to be put on hold. You see, we can't afford to be seen to do business with whatever it is you're accused of being. I'm sure a businessman of your stature will understand.

injurai

Banned
It's so weird that Hannibal Buress sparked all this backlash (after years and years of these allegations existing)

humor is the cure to ignorance and status quo dogmatism

also having it come from another comedian is like being ousted from your own circle

studyguy

Dude's going to retire in seclusion crying while he counts his stacks.
I mean I've seen people pushing for new charges to be brought up, but realistically the most we'll probably see is Cosby dip out of the limelight till we hear about him kicking the bucket.

Then whoever owns the rights to his stuff will hawk it out like they did with MJ and make a killing despite whatever horrible controversies came up years before.

Slayven

Yeah, it is definitely an interesting point (though not to make light of this serious situation).

Hannibel didn't rape those women or bring to light some deep dark secret. He just pointed out what has been known for a while.

Cromat

This is a tough one. Obviously he deserves it (and much worse) if he did it but he is being condemned without a trial.I know the case against him is very strong, but innocent until proven guilty no?

DopeToast

Banned
Such a gross story all around. I loved the Cosby show growing up. And I remember on the Don Rickles episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee just a couple years ago, Jerry named Rickles, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and Bill Cosby as his four faces on "Mt. Rushmore of Stand-up Comedy." I never thought of Cosby as a standup before then and checked him out and he was damn hilarious. This whole thing taints all that now, even if it's still funny. Won't think about him the same way again. Hope the victims can find peace/legal compensation somehow.

This is a tough one. Obviously he deserves it (and much worse) if he did it but he is being condemned without a trial.I know the case against him is very strong, but innocent until proven guilty no?

In the legal system, yea.

In the court of public opinion where you have years of allegations from more than a dozen women? Where there is smoke there is fire.

KingGondo

Banned
Justice is gone for the victims, but professional justice is being served by this rapist having his reputation destroyed and a hilarious guy like Hannibal having his career take off.

Vice

Did he have a career to begin with?

Yes, he is one of the most successful comedians of all time at worst and the most successful comedian of all time at best.

Paved the way for, how?

Blacks on TV and in Comedy. I, Spy was one of the first times the nation saw a competent black person on TV every week. His comedy specials trnascended race and allowed black comedians to get a foot in the door. Defied countless stereotypes while doing all this. Etc.

He isn't facing criminal charges. Can't blame a company for not wanting to get involved. If he wants to clear his name then he should attempt to do so.

'NBC has raped the Bill Cosby pilot amid the mounting accusations of murder..."

He has to be like 'damn, I almost got away with it, too!'

This would apply if the legal system could be trusted on issues like this. It can't.

This has only ever been a legal standard for conviction. The rest of us don't have to pretend that OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony aren't murderers, after all. Considering Bill's response to the whole controversy is "no comment", I'm sure NBC doesn't want to endure years of ugly questions and sponsorship pulls just to put some talent on the air.

Here in America for any major crime you are guilty until proven innocent. People are judgmental and when they've made up their minds about something big you will likely have better luck moving a mountain than them. I'm guilty of this as well because I believe he did it. It's weird to think about but I believe he did it.

Cromat

In the legal system, yea.

In the court of public opinion where you have years of allegations from more than a dozen women? Where there is smoke there is fire.

I agree that in Cosby's case it seems very likely that he did it, but the principle...
Basically if someone accuses you of rape, you will lose your job, your career, your life. Even if the charges are dropped or you turn out innocent it still sticks. It's pretty scary.

Valhelm

contribute something
Hannibel didn't rape those women or bring to light some deep dark secret. He just pointed out what has been known for a while.

Known by who, though? Most people (myself included) had no idea.

I also admit that I'm pretty ignorant about the history of comedy. Did Bill Cosby really play the way for future Black comics? More so than Richard Pryor or Redd Foxx?

Bgamer90

Banned

???

Never said Hannibel did. His recent comments played a big role in starting this current snowball though.

Known by who, though? Most people (myself included) had no idea.

I also admit that I'm pretty ignorant about the history of comedy. Did Bill Cosby really play the way for future Black comics? More so than Richard Pryor or Redd Foxx?

I would say that all three of them played a major role and more than likely influenced many Black comedians today.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm from England so honestly, I never got his appeal. Throw in the 'rape' and he won't stink up the airwaves on two fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom