• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Magazine Cover: 35 Women Tell Their Stories About Being Assaulted by Cosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
The cover:

CK4ffs2UAAAFZ-1.jpg

The article:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/bill-cosbys-accusers-speak-out.html?mid=twitter_nymag

There are now 46 women who have come forward publicly to accuse Cosby of rape or sexual assault; the 35 women here are the accusers who were willing to be photographed and interviewed by New York. The group, at present, ranges in age from early 20s to 80 and includes supermodels Beverly Johnson and Janice Dickinson alongside waitresses and Playboy bunnies and journalists and a host of women who formerly worked in show business. Many of the women say they know of others still out there who’ve chosen to remain silent.

This project began six months ago, when we started contacting the then-30 women who had publicly claimed Cosby assaulted them, and it snowballed in the same way that the initial accusations did: First two women signed on, then others heard about it and joined in, and so on. Just a few days before the story was published, we photographed the final two women, bringing our total to 35. “I’m no longer afraid,” said Chelan Lasha, who came forward late last year to say that Cosby had drugged her when she was 17. “I feel more powerful than him.”

Accompanying this photo essay is a compilation of the interviews with these women, a record of trauma and survival — the memories that remain of the decades-old incidents. All 35 were interviewed separately, and yet their stories have remarkable similarities, in everything from their descriptions of the incidents to the way they felt in the aftermath. Each story is awful in its own right. But the horror is multiplied by the sheer volume of seeing them together, reading them together, considering their shared experience. The women have found solace in their number — discovering that they hadn’t been alone, that there were others out there who believed them implicitly, with whom they didn’t need to be afraid of sharing the darkest details of their lives. They are scattered all over the country — ten different states are represented — and most of them had no contact with their fellow accusers until recently. But since reading about each other’s stories in the news, or finding one another on social media, or meeting in person at the photo shoots arranged by New York, many of the women have forged a bond. It is, as Tarshis calls it, “a sorrowful sisterhood.” ■

I'm going through it now, and it has to be one of the most powerful pieces I've read in a long time. Just heartbreaking on every conceivable level.

EDIT: NYM is experiencing a DDOS attack, so you can read the testimonies here: http://bit.ly/1JKHYFL

JDSN

Banned
Damn, that empty seat encapsulates the frustration of what this women (and a lot of people) are feeling.

Man that cover...

I'll have to give it a read it's crazy the amount of women that came out for this, nevermind the ones that have not stepped froward.

Tagg9

What a despicable monster. I really hope that he lives out the reminder of his life in complete and utter misery.

Esch

Banned
These are just the women that had the courage to come forward too. Imagine how many of them are out there :(

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Excellent Cover, really hits home the point and will read the article tomorrow.

Question though, what is the empty chair representing? Is it representing the women who are yet to reveal there names, is it saying that more will be added to the list if cosby is not brought down for his accusations, or saying that there could be many, many, more people who have not even revealed to this group that they have been, supposedly, raped by cosby? or all of the above?

Kinsella

Banned
If there are victims in their twenties, doesn't that mean the statute of limitations hasn't run out on some of these cases? Try this piece of shit in court.

ivysaur12

Banned
Excellent Cover, really hits home the point and will read the article tomorrow.

Question though, what is the empty chair representing? Is it representing the women who are yet to reveal there names, is it saying that more will be added to the list if cosby is not brought down for his accusations, or saying that there could be many, many, more people who have not even revealed to this group that they have been, supposedly, raped by cosby? or all of the above?

I think it's this:

Many of the women say they know of others still out there who’ve chosen to remain silent.

I haven't even read the article yet but like others have said, the cover is making me feel some kinda way. It's really unfortunate that it took this long for him to be caught and the sheer number of people coming out about it is heart breaking, to think there's probably many more out there to is just...

Mimosa97

Women in their early 20's ? What ? When did the last rape take place ?

What a vile vile vile man. It's really fucked up that he's still free and not rotting in jail already. People go to jail for not paying child alimony but have 45 women accuse you of rape and you can stay frree.

What a disgrace.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
please make him parade down the streets while people throw vegetables at him. They did the same to DSK and Tony Hayward, it would be unfair to not make him go the same way

giga

please make him parade down the streets while people throw vegetables at him. They did the same to DSK and Tony Hayward, it would be unfair to not make him go the same way
I would not be opposed to a penance walk.

SHAME

…

SHAME

…

SHAME

“I told my supervisor at the Playboy Club what he did to me, and you know what she said to me? She said: ‘You do know that that’s Hefner’s best friend, right?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ She says to me: ‘Nobody’s going to believe you. I suggest you shut your mouth.’ ” —PJ Masten

“In 1975, it wasn’t an issue that was even discussed. Rape was being beaten up in a park. I understood at the time that it was wrong, but I just internalized it and dealt with it and pushed it down, and it resided in a very private place. It affects your trust with other people.” —Marcella Tate

“Eighteen is very young. It took me a long, long time to come to terms with the fact that it was him, it wasn’t me. Life has not been easy for me. I had addiction problems as I got older.” —Linda Joy Traitz

YoungHav

Banned
Under the pictures is a link to "Read her story", when I click the stories don't show up. Is this happening to anyone else?

Eidan

I read the main article and watched the videos. I haven't read the individual stories yet. It's stomach turning. I just don't understand how a person can do this kind of thing. And to so many. And to think that Cosby had the audacity to act as a moral authority for decades. It's sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom