• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Talon

No one has any idea how then NCAA deals with anything. The only consistent thing is their inconsistency in rulings. Not saying they're going to destroy unc, but to think pj is going to just get 5 games seems delusional.
Seriously. The NCAA has only been consistently inconsistent.

iamblades

I think Hairston is proper fucked. At this point he's just committed too much dumb to risk keeping around. By his own admission he's a pothead, a liar, and probably a felon. The NCAA will likely do nothing to UNC itself though.

If this stays contained to just PJ, maybe the NCAA will continue their current practice of looking the other way, but several other players have been linked to fats including Henson, Marshall, and McDonald. Granted in two of those cases they were already pros at the time of the proven recorded interaction(IIRC its hard to keep track of all this stuff), but does anyone really believe that they came back to town after making it to the NBA to hang out with some small time hustler and party promoter? Or was that repayment for gifts during their college days?

It will be especially nasty if they can actually link the money Fats was spending to the UNC dental school as is the speculation. That would make this a similar violation to the one that almost got Kentucky the death penalty in the 80s.

If the NCAA was at all consistent in their rulings, this would be a strict liability case and they'd be looking at a lack of institutional control ruling, especially after already being on probation for failure to monitor. UNC was lucky they got away with the academic fraud, but the NCAA can't continue giving them free passes much longer if they want to remain at all relevant as a rules enforcement organization. Who knows though, maybe the NCAA is really intent on driving a multibillion dollar enterprise into the ground by continue the obvious favoritism.

Everyone has to admit that Carheels is such a great nickname though.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I need to give some love to my boy, Cameron Bairstow, for leading the Australian men's team into the gold medal game of the World University Games.

Ohio State had Escalades.

UNC has rental cars.

C'mon, Heels. Step yo game up

They were rental Escalades!

Ol Roy promises "serious consequences" for Hairston

"P.J. and I have had several discussions already and he knows he has made serious mistakes and there will be serious consequences as a result," Williams said.

He said there are "several options available" as punishment, including a possible suspension. Hairston faces an August court hearing and isn't enrolled in summer school. The team is in the offseason so Williams says he will wait "until the process is complete" to decide on the punishment.

Duke and UNC players will sit out the NC Pro-Am this year

Official Reasons: Scheduling (Duke), Player choice (UNC)

Unofficial Reasons: I wouldn't be suprised if the ADs from both schools told players to lie low especially during UNC's impermissible benefits investigation. These kinds of events are usually full of Fats Thomas types.

In completely surprising news that no one saw coming, it looks like Kyle Wiltjer is heading to Gonzaga.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...yle-wiltjer-transfer-gonzaga-bulldogs-sources

Shocked.

Fjordson

Sad to see Kyle go, but glad for him since he'll probably be happier there. His style just never fit Calipari's system.

But I wish kids could play immediately. Hate the year sit out rule.

Agree that kids shouldn't have to sit out a year when transferring, but Kyle was going to redshirt next year even if he decided to come back, so I think the year off is something he's been planning on.

Side note PSA: I'm relocating soon to the Bay Area. Any Kentucky folks here in that neck of the woods? I'll be living and working close to the UK bar (Zekes), so I expect I'll watch most games there.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Duke and UNC players will sit out the NC Pro-Am this year

Official Reasons: Scheduling (Duke), Player choice (UNC)

Unofficial Reasons: I wouldn't be suprised if the ADs from both schools told players to lie low especially during UNC's impermissible benefits investigation. These kinds of events are usually full of Fats Thomas types..

It's been a really shitty ProAm this year. Been to a few games and haven't even seen any pros. It's pretty much all HS and small-college players with some locals. I hope this isn't the start of a trend; it's been awesome in years past. I remember watching Kyrie before his freshman year. I walked in during the 3rd quarter and I swear I watched him score 15 or so by the time that quarter was over.

Fjordson

Agree that kids shouldn't have to sit out a year when transferring, but Kyle was going to redshirt next year even if he decided to come back, so I think the year off is something he's been planning on.

Side note PSA: I'm relocating soon to the Bay Area. Any Kentucky folks here in that neck of the woods? I'll be living and working close to the UK bar (Zekes), so I expect I'll watch most games there.
Me! Pacific Heights, San Fran! I usually watch games at home with the misses, but I'll have to make it there for some.

Me! Pacific Heights, San Fran! I usually watch games at home with the misses, but I'll have to make it there for some.

I thought you had mentioned it before, but wasn't sure. I start in mid-August, so UK / Western Kentucky will likely be my first trip to Zekes for a game. I doubt I'll go for every game as I'm a bit of a homebody but it's nice to know there's a spot close by where I can hear other people who talk funny. They say there has been a group for each game since the UK/LSU comeback game in 1994.

DominoKid

Alex Schwartz ‏@NorthstarBball 1h
NGC USA All-Tourn. team: Tyus Jones, Chris McCullough, Theo Pinson, Justin Jackson, Kelly Oubre. Co-MVPs: Stanley Johnson & D'Angelo Russell

Bowser

PoemLVv.png

PJ trollin' lololol

Bowser

Gif_adam_whatever.gif

Once the gun charge was dropped, I knew this was following. Roy will still give him a light discipline (harsh enough to punish him for being a dumbass, but light enough to not actually hurt the team in anyway) and it'll be back to business as usual on Tobacco Road.

I know some dudes on PackPride bout to commit soduku

You mean seppeku? lol.

They're talking about filing an anti-trust complaint with the DoJ. I'm fucking dying over here.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Gif_adam_whatever.gif

Once the gun charge was dropped, I knew this was following. Roy will still give him a light discipline (harsh enough to punish him for being a dumbass, but light enough to not actually hurt the team in anyway) and it'll be back to business as usual on Tobacco Road.

I know some dudes on PackPride bout to commit soduku
That's how State rolls, yo. Piss us off and we'll commit some sodoku on yo ass.

Matugi

You mean seppeku? lol.

They're talking about filing an anti-trust complaint with the DoJ. I'm fucking dying over here.

lmao

IC's thread on the charges being dismissed is 3 pages long. Pack Pride's is 28 pages plus multiple offshoot threads about various other ways UNC is cheating

Talon

Whatever they need to do to forget their epic disappointment of a season last year after all that hype from the end of 2011-2012.

mre

Whatever they need to do to forget their epic disappointment of a season last year after all that hype from the end of 2011-2012.
Last season wasn't a disappointment to anyone who knows Gottfried. It was par for the course.

mre

It was, but that still didn't stop a lot of folks in Raleigh from talking reckless in the preseason.

That's because they didn't know Gottfried. As someone "fortunate" enough to have gone to Alabama when Gottfried coached there, before transferring to NCSU to finish up my undergrad, I knew first hand what was coming. Unfortunately, too many people bought into his crap and got snookered.

He'd have made a hell of a used car salesman.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I really don't care if PJ gets off scott free or if they are able to muddle any possible connection to Fats and whoever else, that he's only suspended a few games. Fine, it serves nobody for him to fuck up his career over stupid shit. That can happen at any school, any athlete. It may or may not be at the program level

I think the academic fraud that UNC has had to deal with is beyond embarrassing given their otherwise good reputation. I don't say that as some paranoid tinfoil hat Duke fan that longs to see UNC burn. Given the supposed integrity that the NCAA demands, they didn't want to pursue it, the media here other than Dan Kane sure as hell didn't want to touch it and outside of some Duke fans and all of PP, most people just didn't care.

I'm a product of the greater UNC system and I was more embarrassed by it than most of the Chapel Hill grads I've spoken with. I don't get it I guess.

Talon

I really don't care if PJ gets off scott free or if they are able to muddle any possible connection to Fats and whoever else, that he's only suspended a few games. Fine, it serves nobody for him to fuck up his career over stupid shit. That can happen at any school, any athlete. It may or may not be at the program level

I think the academic fraud that UNC has had to deal with is beyond embarrassing given their otherwise good reputation. I don't say that as some paranoid tinfoil hat Duke fan that longs to see UNC burn. Given the supposed integrity that the NCAA demands, they didn't want to pursue it, the media here other than Dan Kane sure as hell didn't want to touch it and outside of some Duke fans and all of PP, most people just didn't care.

I'm a product of the greater UNC system and I was more embarrassed by it than most of the Chapel Hill grads I've spoken with. I don't get it I guess.
Yeah, the academic fraud is a tremendous embarrassment. Unbelievable that the NCAA effectively ignored it.

Fjordson

Calipari is going to get the other packaged deal (Emmanuel Mudiay and Myles Turner). Not as good as Tyus Jones and Okafor (especially Okafor) but I'll take it.

edit: did Tyus Jones mention Justise Winslow on there at all? There's been talk that he might play with Tyus and Okafor also.

If that's not true, I wonder what UK's chances are with Winslow. Calipari offered him earlier this month.

Someone petitioned the White House to look into UNC scandal

Calipari is going to get the other packaged deal (Emmanuel Mudiay and Myles Turner). Not as good as Tyus Jones and Okafor (especially Okafor) but I'll take it.

edit: did Tyus Jones mention Justise Winslow on there at all? There's been talk that he might play with Tyus and Okafor also.

If that's not true, I wonder what UK's chances are with Winslow. Calipari offered him earlier this month.

He was only asked about Okafor (it was a post-game interview with Andy Katz after the AAU Super Showcase).

DominoKid

Bomani Jones ‏@bomani_jones 28m
i’ll be curious to see what roy does with p.j. cuz, ummm…they kinda need him. and by “kinda,” i mean “badly.”

Bowser

Chapel Hill --- University of North Carolina men's basketball coach Roy Williams has suspended P.J. Hairston from the basketball team indefinitely. Hairston, a rising junior guard from Greensboro, N.C., received a traffic citation for reckless driving Sunday afternoon.

Hairston averaged 14.6 points in 34 games as a sophomore last season.

WELP.

Bowser

Back for the 2nd semester and conference play. Beat reporters already writing their first draft of March-ish human interest stories about how he's matured and cleaned up his act!

So it is written, so it shall be.

Honestly, I think this is the beginning of the end. I don't think we'll see PJ suit up in a Carolina uni ever again.

Top Bottom