• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Bowser

Frankly, he should be. What a fucking nitwit.

He's constantly been a pain in Roy's ass. There were rumors that Roy actually was close to kicking him off the team before last season. Can't imagine these last 2 months have made Roy feel like he made the right decision by keeping him on.

Fjordson

lol wut you guys are gonna buttfuck us. As will dook.

At least we'll still sweep the wolpies doe.
I dunno man. Maybe I'm still recovering from last year, but I need to see us for a few games before I gain too much confidence. Especially in an away game at somewhere like UNC.

Fjordson

So Josh Perkins (PG, #24 overall on ESPN) is down to his final five schools: Gonzaga, UCLA, UConn, Minnesota, and UK. His father says that he'll decide August 25th no matter and that if he doesn't get an offer from UK by then he's going elsewhere. Jerry Meyer says UK won't make an offer, but we'll see.

Will be really interested to see how Calipari plays this. A top 25 point guard 90 percent of the time is a no brainer. But with Mudiay still in play and the recent talk about him wanting to play with Myles Turner in college, I wonder if Cal is hesitant in committing to Perkins for fear of losing those two. Perkins is really good, but Mudiay and Turner are great.

If we don't offer then I just hope Calipari is confident in our chances with Mudiay :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hopefully the dominoes start falling now that the class of 2014 is done with AAU ball. I'm sick of waiting.

Yesterday Enfield got his first commit at USC in 4* Malik Price-Martin and 4* Sandy Cohen committed to Marquette

Bowser

Rashad Vaughn ‏@ShowtimeMr 21m
Cutting my list in the next couple of days

Fully expect him to cut UNC. Would be good, frees Roy up to go after some of these other shooters we've recently started scouting (Robert Johnson seems to be the one we'd zero in on if Vaughn cuts us).

Crisco

Banned
You gotta figure, maybe PJ thought or was told that the hammer was already coming down on him for his previous transgressions and just thought "fuck it, why not". No one can be that dumb, can they?

You gotta figure, maybe PJ thought or was told that the hammer was already coming down on him for his previous transgressions and just thought "fuck it, why not". No one can be that dumb, can they?

J7U0Ofk.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Fully expect him to cut UNC. Would be good, frees Roy up to go after some of these other shooters we've recently started scouting (Robert Johnson seems to be the one we'd zero in on if Vaughn cuts us).

Pinson and Vaughn, not to mention the other commits?...UNC fans will want to just skip this year. Next year could be very interesting.

Matugi

Why would he cut UNC when he was 99% of the way to committing in March? It makes no sense. Is UNC out of the running? Possibly. But to cut a team that was so hot after him and that has a gaping hole at the 2 would be asinine.

Bowser

Why would he cut UNC when he was 99% of the way to committing in March? It makes no sense. Is UNC out of the running? Possibly. But to cut a team that was so hot after him and that has a gaping hole at the 2 would be asinine.

Apparently he's got someone running his recruitment (an uncle) that isn't hot on Roy/UNC. Also, he has said that his parents have to visit wherever he commits, and he doesn't plan on visiting UNC again (and his parents didn't accompany him on his unofficial back in March).

At this point, Vaughn hasn’t set up any official visits, but two schools are on his mind for possible visits.

“None for sure, but probably Kansas, Kentucky and that’s it for sure,” Vaughn told Scout.com.

While Vaughn doesn’t have a decision date, it’s looking like a late decision.

“Probably late signing period,” he said.

North Carolina has already had Vaughn on campus for an unofficial visit and Roy Williams tracked him in July.

“I have a good relationship with them,” Vaughn said. “They come to every game and they are recruiting me hard. I have a good relationship with the whole coaching staff.”

Could UNC possibly get a return visit?

“I don’t know,” Vaughn said. “I’ve already been there so probably not.”

When's the last time we landed an out-of-state prospect who didn't take an OV?

Sounds like Randle redux (hot on UNC early, UNC viewed as favorite, then "something" happens and suddenly UNC doesn't even make his final 5 and it becomes a late signing UK/KU battle)

Bowser

And we don't even have to wait for Vaughn to cut us:

UNC just offered Robert Johnson a scholarship, according to his HS coach -- Ryan Marable.

Bowser

Roy ain't playin' - offered 2015 wings Brandon Ingram (4*, #8 SF) and P.J. Dozier (5*, #1 ranked PG [he's more of a combo G/WF though]) tonight

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think we offered him too and Tyler Dorsey. Those CA players though.......

Dorsey is gonna be a stud. Great shooter who also happens to have lightning quick handles. I know Michigan dropped in on him when they were visiting west coast kids back in December but there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest there. He doesn't mention us all the time like say Stephen Zimmerman does.

Fjordson

no more California players.
no more Dudley players.

thank you and good night.
Yeah, it seems like every California player doesn't want to go leave Cali. And if they do it's to Arizona :lol probably not the reality, but it seems like that.

I would love Stanley Johnson at UK, but many say he will end up at Arizona =[

Fjordson

Oh and Vaughn cut his list, but UNC is still in it

Baylor, Iowa State, UNC, UConn, Kansas, UNLV, Arizona, Georgetown, UK, UCLA & Minnesota.

Also, there's some talk on Rupp's Rafters and other places that the Harrison twins and James Young have not yet been deemed academically eligible by the NCAA.

GAF...if all three of them aren't able to suit up next year then we are well and truly fucked.

Baylor, Iowa State, UNC, UConn, Kansas, UNLV, Arizona, Georgetown, UK, UCLA & Minnesota.

Also, there's some talk on Rupp's Rafters and other places that the Harrison twins and James Young have not yet been deemed academically eligible by the NCAA.

GAF...if all three of them aren't able to suit up next year then we are well and truly fucked.

UK will be fine.

The NCAA just likes to do their due diligence when dealing with Cal players.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" type of thing

Fjordson

I hope so. Our backcourt will consist of Jarrod Polson and Dominique Hawkins if all three of them are ineligible. They'll make Ryan Harrow look like Isiah Thomas in comparison.

Matt Jones has made it clear numerous times (including one remote I went to) that the coaching staff has told him that there isn't anything to the rumors and all players will be eligible.

Bowser

lol right he "cut" his list...if anything there are names on there that I haven't even seen as being involved before (Arizona? Georgetown? Iowa State?).

Also, Roy still on dat offering spree. Offered 2016 wing Jayson Tatum tonight.

DominoKid

from ESPN Insider

Thursday, August 1, 2013
Toughest head coaches to recruit against
By Jeff Goodman

There's no coach in America that compares to John Calipari on the recruiting trail.
Yesterday we took a look at the 20 most feared high-major assistant coaches in recruiting circles. Today, after talking to coaches from throughout the country, we take a look at the 20 best high-major and mid-major head coaches on the recruiting trail.

1. John Calipari, Kentucky Wildcats
He’s at another level than everyone else. Seriously. It’s now an upset if he doesn’t get the top class in the country. Honestly, my 9-year-old daughter could work for Calipari as an assistant and still bring in elite talent. Calipari is that good in the recruiting game.

2. Bill Self, Kansas Jayhawks
He fell off for a couple of years, but seems to have his mojo back in recruiting circles. He just put together a stellar class led by the nation’s top-ranked player, Andrew Wiggins.

3. Sean Miller, Arizona Wildcats
He has practically owned the West Coast since he arrived in Tucson in 2009, landing three of the top big men in the Class of 2012 (Brandon Ashley, Kaleb Tarczewski and Grant Jerrett) and pulling in Aaron Gordon in 2013.

4. Rick Pitino, Louisville Cardinals
Many figured Pitino was on the downswing of his career and that he wouldn’t be able to get elite-level recruits, especially with Calipari down the road. Instead, Pitino has stepped it up on the recruiting trail and has plenty of juice following Louisville's national championship in April.

5. Billy Donovan, Florida Gators
Donovan still works like an assistant, and despite significant turnover on his staff since winning back-to-back titles in 2006 and 2007, the Gators continue to haul in top talent. This year he landed two of the nation's elite players -- point guard Kasey Hill and big man Chris Walker.

6. Tom Izzo, Michigan State Spartans
A workhorse on the recruiting trail, Izzo mixes highly ranked players with those who generally fit his system. Look at the 2012 class for evidence: Highly regarded Gary Harris is the headliner, with a pair of quality big men in Matt Costello and Kenny Kaminski, along with underrated forward Denzel Valentine.

7. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke Blue Devils
Coach K still gets it done, even though the Blue Devils do it differently. They identify a few guys instead of casting a wide net. Duke just brought in one of the nation’s top classes, led by Jabari Parker. Krzyzewski's role as coach of the U.S. Olympic team certainly helps his recruiting efforts.

8. Steve Lavin, St. John’s Red Storm
This one surprised me a bit, but then you understand why he’s feared after looking at his track record. Lavin gets players. Period. He has brought in guys such as Mo Harkless, Amir Garrett, JaKarr Sampson, Chris Obekpa and D’Angelo Harrison since 2010, when he took over at St. John’s.

9. Leonard Hamilton, Florida State Seminoles
Sure, he didn’t get Wiggins, but look at whom he was going up against: Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina. Just the fact that he had a legitimate shot says plenty about Hamilton, who has been at this a long, long time and works underground as well as just about anyone. Trust me: When this guy walks in the gym, other coaches take notice.

10. Scott Drew, Baylor Bears
Drew and his staff work as hard as just about anyone. It wasn’t all that long ago that the program was a laughingstock, but not after landing highly ranked guys such as Perry Jones III, Quincy Miller and Isaiah Austin. People take these guys seriously now.

11. Roy Williams, North Carolina Tar Heels
I was shocked he checked in this low, to be honest. Personally, I would have ranked him somewhere around fifth. Williams still gets after it on the recruiting trail, and the Carolina brand still goes a long way with kids.

12. Josh Pastner, Memphis Tigers
He’s beyond relentless and has done an incredible job maintaining the talent level in the program after Calipari left for Kentucky. In fact, you can make an argument that he’s got more talent now than Calipari had when he was with the Tigers.

13. Thad Matta, Ohio State Buckeyes
He’s pulled his share of elite guys (Greg Oden, Mike Conley Jr., Jared Sullinger, Deshaun Thomas) and also has done a nice job landing a ton of the next tier of recruits. There’s been no drop-off in Columbus, largely due to Matta’s consistency on the recruiting trail.

14. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse Orange
He still has plenty of pop with recruits and is as recognizable as just about any head coach in the country. Does he grind it like some of the others on this list? No, but he does enough to land elite recruits such as DaJuan Coleman, Fab Melo and Dion Waiters.

15. Shaka Smart, VCU Rams
Ever since his run to the Final Four a few seasons ago, Smart has become a darling in the college hoops world. Kids love him and want to play in his fast-paced system. Mid-major coaches are terrified of going against him, and high-majors also are concerned.

16. Buzz Williams, Marquette Golden Eagles
He’s a self-proclaimed grinder who has done a nice job developing players. But this past recruiting class showed he can battle the big boys, as he landed four top 100-caliber guys. The combination of the program’s recent success with his work ethic is feared by others.

17. Tom Crean, Indiana Hoosiers
He gets after it and has one of the elite programs in the nation to sell. When he got Cody Zeller to stay home, it changed everything. He helped assistant Kenny Johnson close the deal on Noah Vonleh, Troy Williams and Stanford Robinson -- three quality players in the Class of 2013.

18. Mark Gottfried, NC State Wolfpack
He brought in three highly rated players a year ago with T.J. Warren, Rodney Purvis (who has since transferred to UConn) and Tyler Lewis. His staff is strong and they have put together another solid group, led by point guard Anthony "Cat" Barber.

19. Jay Wright, Villanova Wildcats
Maybe it’s his looks that instill fear into opposing coaches. Actually, Wright has done a nice job recruiting the past decade at Nova. Are the Wildcats at the same level they were at a few seasons ago? No, but Wright can still get it done.

20. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State Shockers
Pastner, Smart and Marshall are the only ones outside of the power leagues who made the cut. Marshall has the work ethic, can evaluate and now has a Final Four appearance to sell. That’s enough to make fellow coaches nervous when he walks in the gym.

i don't like that Roy is so low...

DominoKid

Orlando's 5th

Top recruiting assistant coaches
By Jeff Goodman

Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend has earned a reputation as an elite recruiter.
Head coaches are obviously critical to a program’s success, but putting together a quality staff is one of the more underrated aspects of college basketball. Many great coaches have been fired because their staff isn’t up to par.

Part of what goes into being an elite assistant coach is the ability to teach and develop players, part is the ability to scout and prepare players for their next opponent. But ask just about anyone and they’ll tell you that the most important aspect for any assistant coach is his ability to land talented players.

We surveyed more than 200 college coaches and got their thoughts on who the most feared assistant coaches are on the recruiting trail. That doesn’t mean that these guys can’t coach, but it means that when they walk into the gym their colleagues take notice -- and don’t necessarily want to go against them to land a recruit. We’ve focused on the high-major assistants today. On Thursday, we'll look at the most feared head coaches in recruiting circles.

Here are 21 guys who have the respect/fear of their peers:

1. Kurtis Townsend, Kansas Jayhawks
The list for Townsend --- who also spent time at Michigan and USC -- is pretty darn impressive: Andrew Wiggins, Sherron Collins, Darrell Arthur, Julian Wright, Brandon Rush, Jeff Withey at KU and Jamal Crawford and Lavell Blanchard at Michigan. He also got some quality talent in his tenure at USC. Townsend gets after it, has strong connections throughout the country and has one of the best brands -- and head coaches -- to sell.

2. Mike Hopkins, Syracuse Orange
He’ll take over for Jim Boeheim when he calls it quits, and Hopkins should be able to make certain the talent level doesn’t drop. He’s recruited guys like Hakim Warrick, Gerry McNamara, Dion Waiters, Michael Carter-Williams and DaJuan Coleman over the years. He is high energy and especially well-connected on the East Coast.

3. Kevin Keatts, Louisville Cardinals
It hasn’t taken the former Hargrave Military Academy prep school coach long to make his mark in the college ranks. He had a fairly brief stint as an assistant at Marshall, but he’s already pulled Montrezl Harrell, Luke Hancock (transfer from George Mason), Chris Jones, Terry Rozier and Anton Gill in his three seasons under Rick Pitino. He also helped the Cards land a pledge from highly ranked guard Jaquan Lyle. Without Keatts getting Hancock and Harrell, Louisville doesn’t cut down the nets last season.

4. Butch Pierre, Oklahoma State Cowboys
Pierre was critical in putting together LSU’s team that went to the Final Four in 2006 and has brought high-end talent to Stillwater since joining Travis Ford’s staff. He was huge in making sure Tyrus Thomas and Glen “Big Baby” Davis remained in-state and was key in getting Le’Bryan Nash to OSU.

5. Orlando Antigua, Kentucky Wildcats
John Calipari has no peer when it comes to recruiting -- and the combo of Cal and Kentucky is nearly unbeatable. That’s part of what makes Antigua feared, but he’s also done more than his part to make certain UK continues to get elite players season after season.

6. Robert Kirby, Memphis Tigers
He’s bounced around a bit lately. He spent time with Rick Stansbury at Mississippi State, was at Georgetown for a cup of coffee and was at LSU last season before joining Memphis in the offseason. He’s considered one of the strongest recruiters in the country, especially in the south. He got Otto Porter to Georgetown and had commitments from both Jonathan Bender and Monta Ellis before both went to the NBA directly out of high school. He also signed Travis Outlaw to the Bulldogs program before he went straight to the NBA.

7. Jeff Capel, Duke Blue Devils
Most former head coaches don’t get after it on the recruiting trail, but Capel is different. He’s just 38 years old after spending nine seasons at two different stops (VCU and Oklahoma). Capel is feared because of his background and current employer. He got Blake Griffin to OU and Eric Maynor to VCU and has pulled in Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood and Matt Jones since he joined Mike Krzyzewski’s staff at Duke.

8. Justin Hutson, San Diego State Aztecs
Hutson returned to San Diego State after a brief stop at UNLV, where he helped bring a ton of high-level talent to Vegas. His efforts in helping to build the Aztecs to a national level are what make him one of the most talked-about West Coast recruiters around. He was key in San Diego State landing Kawhi Leonard and Jamaal Franklin.

9. Jerome Tang, Baylor Bears
He’s been a huge reason for the influx of talent to Waco in recent years. He helped get Tweety Carter, Perry Jones III, Quincy Miller and Isaiah Austin, among others. Without Tang, Baylor wouldn’t be nationally relevant season after season.

10. Jeff Boals, Ohio State Buckeyes
He recruited Zeke Marshall to Akron and has helped get Aaron Craft, Marc Loving, Keita Bates-Diop and D’Angelo Russell to Columbus. The Buckeyes have done a terrific job recruiting since Thad Matta arrived, and Boals is a worker who has made certain the program sustains its excellence on the recruiting trail.

11. Kenny Johnson, Indiana Hoosiers
Pat Skerry hired him at Towson out of the Team Takeover AAU program, and Tom Crean grabbed him after just one season. The big man has paid immediate dividends, helping to bring in Noah Vonleh, Stan Robinson and Troy Williams -- all part of a stellar freshman class that arrives in Bloomington this season. He has been on Crean’s staff since May 2012 and has already gotten plenty done.

12. Jerrance Howard, Kansas Jayhawks
He was on Bruce Weber’s staff at Illinois then spent last season with Larry Brown at SMU before joining his former college coach Bill Self at Kansas a few months ago. Howard is extremely well-liked and will be tough to beat with the Kansas name on his shirt. His notches thus far include Jereme Richmond, Meyers Leonard and Brandon Paul.

13. Dwayne Stephens, Michigan State Spartans
He is low-key, doesn’t self-promote and gets things done in East Lansing. It obviously doesn’t hurt to have Tom Izzo in charge. However, Stephens is considered one of the best in the country, and his track record includes landing Draymond Green, Gary Harris, Delvon Roe and Kalin Lucas.

14. Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga Bulldogs
The Gonzaga coach-in-waiting does his work quietly, and much of it overseas. People are nervous when they see him because he does a lot of his work under the radar. He’s gotten a ton of quality players from outside the country (e.g., Ronny Turiaf, Kevin Pangos, Elias Harris, Robert Sacre, Przemek Karnowski) and can also get work done in the U.S. Lloyd, for example, was key in Gonzaga adding Micah Downs and Jeremy Pargo.

15. Orlando Early, NC State Wolfpack
Here’s another former head coach on the list. He was the head man at Louisiana-Monroe for five seasons and was an assistant at Charlotte and Alabama before getting the head-coaching gig. He helped get Rodney White to Charlotte and was key in landing Kennedy Winston and Alonzo Gee at Alabama. He was the point man in getting T.J. Warren to NC State.

16. Chad Dollar, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
He’s been with Brian Gregory for the past couple of seasons but moved around before that a bit -- Wichita State, LSU, Arkansas State, Murray State and Georgia Southern. He recruited Carl Hall to Wichita and Elton Nesbitt to Georgia Southern and helped Pierre get Marcus Thornton and Anthony Randolph to LSU. Dollar also helped pull Robert Carter and Marcus Georges-Hunt to Tech.

17. Steve Wojciechowski, Duke Blue Devils
He’s both feared and respected. Wojo has been a key reason for the Blue Devils’ success on the recruiting trail and has helped land guys like Chris Duhon, J.J. Redick, Shavlik Randolph, Kyle Singler, Shelden Williams and Josh McRoberts.

18. Russell Springmann, Texas Longhorns
The Longhorns have fallen off a bit lately, but Springmann was still responsible for getting Kevin Durant, D.J. Augustin and Damion James to Austin. He’s extremely well-respected within the industry.

19. Brian Dutcher, San Diego State Aztecs
He’ll be the next coach of the Aztecs once Steve Fisher retires, but Dutcher is a feared recruiter dating back to his days when he helped land the Fab Five at Michigan. Justin Hutson, Brian Dutcher and Tony Bland (now at USC) recruited much of the current team, with Dutcher hauling in a pair of key transfers: Tulane forward Josh Davis and Arizona big man Angelo Chol.

T-20. Tony Stubblefield, Oregon Ducks
He developed a strong reputation as a recruiter while at Cincinnati for Mick Cronin and has continued it in the Pac-12 with Oregon where he's landed Damyean Dotson and Dominic Artis. He helped get Yancy Gates, Lance Stephenson and Sean Kilpatrick to the Bearcats in his time there.

T-20. Chris Jans, Wichita State Shockers
I’m putting Jans in the high-major category because of the school support and the fact the program went to the Final Four. The former junior college head coach has been huge in the Shockers’ success over the past few seasons -- including the Final Four berth last season. He brought in Garrett Stutz, Joe Ragland and Ron Baker.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Top 3 should be Cal, K and Roy, followed by Miller and Donovan. Lol at Izzo and Self being ahead of K and Roy. Wiggins was a big win, and he gets good players, but in terms of classes, he's not top 5 at all. Izzo has lost several big recruits to UNC and Duke, just like he loses games to them as well.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Kevon Looney has cut his list to Duke, Florida, Wisconsin, Mich. State, UCLA, and Tennessee.

That was a kick in the dick. I would have bet my life that Michigan would have at least gotten a visit. But I suppose it's better to be eliminated now so the coaches can move on while the other 5 teams on that list not named Duke will continue to waste their time.

Top Bottom