• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

near (Vita App) | Scanning local Vita chums for all dat Game Goods

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thanks for the investigation and updates DBT85.

Maybe the distances need to be bigger for me? My typical daily travel is quite compact, in a radius of a couple of km, so maybe if it registers one location (e.g. home), you have to travel outside a certain radius for it to register another? For my 'home' location, the radar map seems to extend out 3km, so maybe I need to go beyond that for it to pick up another location?

I was hoping it would pick up individual places (e.g. your local starbucks, different streets etc.) and locations rather than lump everything within a couple of kilometers under one place name - if that's what it's doing.

------

Another note, what's up with this discrepancy?

So here on my local chart, it says 15 people are using Flickr.

6785132094_ee62ba0a8d_z.jpg

I tap on that entry for more info and it says...

6931240683_8d2da68ac2_z.jpg

... one person is using flickr?

In fact, all games on that page say either 0/1 people 1/1 are using it.

So I'm kind of inclined to believe the counter on the first page more? But I dunno...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
212 people on my list.

Does this thing always run in the background if I carry it around, like the 3DS does?

Mixed reports.

I haven't yet got it to register a new location while it's been on standby, but as above, maybe I'm not travelling far enough from my 'home' location? Maybe a location in near is the place you're at PLUS a 2 or 3km radius around that location? I dunno. I would like it to be much finer grained than that so individual places aren't lumped into one big area...if it's doing that.

Barrett2

Yeah, its weird. I have the settings turned to always run, but yesterday when more than 1 mile from my apartment, I tried to refresh it but it kept telling me it couldn't connect to wifi.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, its weird. I have the settings turned to always run, but yesterday when more than 1 mile from my apartment, I tried to refresh it but it kept telling me it couldn't connect to wifi.

It will passively record new locations - but whether it does this while on standby or not is what was being debated. DBT85's seems to.

The refresh is just to upload that location data your Vita has recorded since the last refresh and see who is there - not to record the current location. That's why it asks for a net connection when you hit that.

I'm just wondering now, though, if I have to travel more than a couple of km for it to record a new location. I have a suspicion now that it's very coarse-grained. Dunno though. I would curious what kind of distances are between DBT8B's different locations.

SToRM

Mixed reports.

I haven't yet got it to register a new location while it's been on standby, but as above, maybe I'm not travelling far enough from my 'home' location? Maybe a location in near is the place you're at PLUS a 2 or 3km radius around that location? I dunno. I would like it to be much finer grained than that so individual places aren't lumped into one big area...if it's doing that.

Doesn't that depend on whether or not the Vita has GPS? I took the Vita with me a few days ago and it found 8 new people while being on standby.

patsu

Ok, I have a report to file.

My Vita was in user forced standby (pressed power button) on my entire drive home. It sat on my passenger seat all the way home and was definitely in standby.

Near recorded my locations at 18:39 (still at work), 19:09 (Just left work), and 19:50 when I turned it on when I walked in.

So my vita is DEFINITELY getting location data when in user enforced standby.

I've looked at the locations (click on the address near tells you and it will bring up a locator on Google Maps) and they are all accurate and more importantly, different.

I will note that near was running when I put it to standby. Tomorrow on the way to work I will make sure that I put it into standby and that Near is not running. On the way home I'll let it go into standby with Near not running.

Hope that's helpful.

Also, I have :) x 41 at my home and can see 12 IDs within 5km.

Is your 3G activated ?

patsu

I've brought to you three questions today:

- Whats the difference between "Players Met" in Out-and-About and the one in Discoveries? The former is always showing a number of player for every ping/entry, while the latter is still zero for me.

- In out-and-about, are the icons and titles of history entries always tied to my own activity or does sometimes reflect the activity of others? Because so it's only reflecting mine.

- Can someone explain what constitutes as "Buzz" and warrants "Rising popularity"? I feel like I'm doing causing either so far.

Players on radar are people who were playing Vita near you but not necessarily at the same time.
"Players encountered" is a subset of players met. I suspect they have to be close to you and their Vita are on when your Near sweeps the area. I have 60+ players on my radar but only 6 encountered players. Out of the 6, only one encountered multiple times.

The Activities should be derived from people in the area, not just yours. I have Japanese games on my history but I don't have any yet.

Rising popularity means more unique players played the game.
Buzz rating could be based on number of activities generated on multiple players' list.

patsu

Mixed reports.

I think it won't alert you of new location if someone else has already defined it to the Near servers. I only have 1 new location update.

In addition, it is possible that your Vita has already done a sweep before your manual attempt. Hence, your manual attempt complained about duplicated check.

I had the same problem yesterday. It was confusing because Near didn't seem to discover anything new -- until I found a new encountered player quietly hidden in Discoveries. When I clicked on that player profile, sure enough it says I encountered him in the current street. All my manual check failed yesterday but the new player popped up anyway, suggesting that an automated check may have preceded my attempt.

I also wonder if Near servers behave differently in different region.

patsu

Thanks for the investigation and updates DBT85.

Maybe the distances need to be bigger for me? My typical daily travel is quite compact, in a radius of a couple of km, so maybe if it registers one location (e.g. home), you have to travel outside a certain radius for it to register another? For my 'home' location, the radar map seems to extend out 3km, so maybe I need to go beyond that for it to pick up another location?

I was hoping it would pick up individual places (e.g. your local starbucks, different streets etc.) and locations rather than lump everything within a couple of kilometers under one place name - if that's what it's doing.

------

So I'm kind of inclined to believe the counter on the first page more? But I dunno...

Players' Voice may show number of unique players playing the game over a duration.

Local Popularity Chart may show the number of plays for the game over the same or a different duration. In the above example, you're the only one using Flickr. Did you start it 15 times thus far ?

DBT85

It will passively record new locations - but whether it does this while on standby or not is what was being debated. DBT85's seems to.

The refresh is just to upload that location data your Vita has recorded since the last refresh and see who is there - not to record the current location. That's why it asks for a net connection when you hit that.

I'm just wondering now, though, if I have to travel more than a couple of km for it to record a new location. I have a suspicion now that it's very coarse-grained. Dunno though. I would curious what kind of distances are between DBT8B's different locations.

I can provide that :)

The first day It happened was the 23rd when I posted my second copy of Rayman.

My locations for that time were

Friday
09:09 - Home
10:17 - Post office 2.3miles from home (by road) and about 2 miles as the crow flies
10:40 - Tesco 2.1miles from Post Office (by road) and about 1.6 miles as the crow flies

That last update did while in the car park, the one at home and the PO it did itself.

The full journeys this weekend have all been about 20 miles by car however the updates have happened much closer to either final position.

Saturday

20:45 on Friday - Home (turned off overnight)
06:26 - 19.5 miles from home (by car) about 30 minutes after I turned the Vita on. Maybe 16 miles as the crow flies (Why there isn't a tool on google maps for that I don't know)
06:41 - Work - about 1.5 miles from previous location. I took the vita out to play Motorstorm before I started work and forced a Near update which logged my location.

18:39 - Work
19:09 - exactly 30 minutes after the last update and shortly after I left work, about 2 miles from my last location
19:50 - Home, 20 miles form last location, 31 minutes since last update.

Sunday
19:50 on Saturday - Home (off overnight)
06:39 - about 30 minutes after I turned it on, 17 miles by road, probably 13 as the crow flies
07:09 - Work, 4 miles away from last location, exactly 30 minutes later.

So the only short range test I have is the one from Thursday, but that was only 2 and 1.6 miles respectively.

Hope that's of some use.

Is your 3G activated ?

Do you mean activated as in, I've got it topped up or activated as in, set to be on?

My 3G and WiFi stay on all the time. I can do a test tonight with both off to see what it does :) It'll be in my car and even my old TomTom struggles for a location so maybe it wont work because of that.

patsu

No I meant whether you have a 3G plan.

Would be interesting to confirm WiFi connectivity effect on 3G Vita's Near runs.

Perhaps if WiFi and 3G data are not available, Near analytics will take longer to generate since the servers may batch the processing. The reports might be simpler too. So even when we connect later, Near doesn't update us on every little details.

DBT85

No I meant whether you have a 3G plan.

Would be interesting to confirm WiFi connectivity effect on 3G Vita's Near runs.

Perhaps if WiFi and 3G data are not available, Near analytics will take longer to generate since the servers may batch the processing. The reports might be simpler too. So even when we connect later, Near doesn't update us on every little details.

I do have a 3G plan and it is on all day for reference.

I think near will update exactly the same as long as it's managed to get locations. From what I read in the manual if set to periodically check the location it will do that every 30 minutes and if the location has changed it will register it on the Vita. Then once a day automatically, or more if you force it, it will upload those locations to the Near server and download any correlating data and it will log each one as a seperate location at the times it found them.

Now, we know that a unit rarely gets a location over WiFi and I'm not connecting to any except for at home. So if 3G is off and as a result it cannot get a location through triangulation of the cell towers then it will have less data to transmit to the Near servers if it's not got any GPS signals.

I'll turn both off on my journey home tonight and we'll see what it does. As I said, if it can only get a location from GPS then it's likely to struggle in my car. My windscreen has a heating element in it which makes my traditional sat nav struggle.

A better test might be for anyone who has a bit of a walk somewhere doing the same. The GPS should be able to get a lock even in a bag.

patsu

Yeah I think your 3G plan would make Near work more predictably.

It is unclear if Near will work and update with the same quality, diligence without a data connection, WiFi or 3G, when it sweeps the area.

Also, GPS doesn't work reliably indoor, it will also use SkyHook to estimate where appropriate.

Zoibie

Has anyone with the Wifi model been able to get near working? I've registered with Skyhook but that seems to take a couple of weeks.

sakipon

Has anyone with the Wifi model been able to get near working? I've registered with Skyhook but that seems to take a couple of weeks.

Works fine with me. If you're anxious to test it out, how about taking your Vita to some place with free Wifi? near works at my home, but today I checked in at the mall using their connection. This is why I didn't bother with the 3G model.

DBT85

Yeah I think your 3G plan would make Near work more predictably.

It is unclear if Near will work and update with the same quality, diligence without a data connection, WiFi or 3G, when it sweeps the area.

Also, GPS doesn't work reliably indoor, it will also use SkyHook to estimate where appropriate.

Certainly 3G will make it more reliable as GPS is no use indoors like you said.

But i'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your second line.

Near doesn't update itself or the servers until it syncs up. In the intervening time it just stores locations in a file. It will only start downloading who was in the area and the games they were playing and stuff once you connect to the internet and it can upload and download.

I'm fairly confident that so long as the Vita can get a location from GPS the results when Near updates would be identical. I can't test that without going out walking with 3G and Wifi turned off and that isn't going to happen :p

Will a WiFi hotspot that you are not connected to still provide location data even if it is in the skyhook DB?

patsu

Reboot and try again. Does it make a difference ? You should not lose data if you try this.

Someone said their Near data file was corrupted. He had to restore the file system to get it working again. Copy your game saves out first. You will lose data if you restore the file system.

TheGrue

Just wanted to say that since I unchecked that "Obtain location automatically at regular intervals" in the Location Data part of Near settings, I've had no more issues (this setting is off by default). Could be coincidence, of course. Any of you guys running into that issue with "An error occurred" and did you have that checked when you did? Part of me wonders if it was just something weird with it being pre-launch, though you would think if it were server issues that factory defaulting the Vita wouldn't fix it. I'd like to turn it back on as it would be nice to have it take samples throughout the day, but I don't want to factory default this thing again.

TheGrue

Used to work but now i keep getting "an error has occurred"

I have fixed this in the past with a system restore. My question for you, though, is do you have it set to update the location periodically in Location Data? I unchecked that and haven't run into an issue since (I had it happen to me twice when I had it checked).

Zoibie

Yeah some people with WiFi Vita already confirmed their Vitas work in Near.

I was just wondering if there was anything more I could do to help it find my location.

Works fine with me. If you're anxious to test it out, how about taking your Vita to some place with free Wifi? near works at my home, but today I checked in at the mall using their connection. This is why I didn't bother with the 3G model.

Good idea, thanks!

ss_lemonade

For some reason, my Vita (WiFi) keeps giving me a "cannot find location" error with any app that requires it. Is it because I live in the Philippines (not supported country maybe?). Is there any way to fix this

It's weird. For the first few days, the program refused to work even out. Then, it suddenly started working at WiFi hotspots other than my house. I tried again yesterday and it finally worked with it being a few blocks away, but it's back to not working at my house.

So weird! Not that it matters, though. I only want the Gold Herald costumes but I can't find any. ):

Oni Jazar

I have fixed this in the past with a system restore. My question for you, though, is do you have it set to update the location periodically in Location Data? I unchecked that and haven't run into an issue since (I had it happen to me twice when I had it checked).

Yes I do have it checked.

Shadow780

How do I "refresh" the radius for the number of people playing near me?

I can only press a new game with "!" (UMvC3 in my case) and it shows 1 person playing it.

Zoibie

For some reason, my Vita (WiFi) keeps giving me a "cannot find location" error with any app that requires it. Is it because I live in the Philippines (not supported country maybe?). Is there any way to fix this

Add your router to Skyhook. I'm not sure what the reason is for why it can find some people's locations and not others, but this is should help once they add your details.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just wanted to say that since I unchecked that "Obtain location automatically at regular intervals" in the Location Data part of Near settings, I've had no more issues (this setting is off by default). Could be coincidence, of course. Any of you guys running into that issue with "An error occurred" and did you have that checked when you did? Part of me wonders if it was just something weird with it being pre-launch, though you would think if it were server issues that factory defaulting the Vita wouldn't fix it. I'd like to turn it back on as it would be nice to have it take samples throughout the day, but I don't want to factory default this thing again.

Mine was unchecked when I got the system error for Near and had to do the factory reset.

I don't know, don't like Near as much as I was hoping. Too many unknowns, trades and gift aren't reliable despite people playing the right games around me. Whole thing feels clunky/glitchy.

dochuge

I want to use this feature of the vita but its giving me data on people close to me in W Palm Beach, FL....the problem is I live in Washington state. That's not a near, that's a far. Why am I getting this?

KalBalboa

Banned
I brought my Vita from Boston to NYC this weekend and tried checking in every few hours. I found some regulars checking I'm around the Barcade and even managed ttyl make some new PSN friends.

At one point I saw 97 people checked in.

DBT85

I'll turn both off on my journey home tonight and we'll see what it does. As I said, if it can only get a location from GPS then it's likely to struggle in my car. My windscreen has a heating element in it which makes my traditional sat nav struggle..

Ok, Vita is in forced standby again, no apps open, WiFi and 3G turned off. will report back in 90 minutes or so.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Players on radar are people who were playing Vita near you but not necessarily at the same time.
"Players encountered" is a subset of players met. I suspect they have to be close to you and their Vita are on when your Near sweeps the area. I have 60+ players on my radar but only 6 encountered players. Out of the 6, only one encountered multiple times.

The Activities should be derived from people in the area, not just yours. I have Japanese games on my history but I don't have any yet.

Rising popularity means more unique players played the game.
Buzz rating could be based on number of activities generated on multiple players' list.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Going by Patsu and the Help section's definitions:

The green smiley in the first picture indicates the "Number of players playing" in that Ping (so non-real time/asynchronously), while the the green smiley in the Players' Voice indicate the "Number of people you've encountered" which I'm assuming is the real-time encounters reflected in the Discoveries section?

The Players' Voice always adds you towards the numbers in "Players Encountered" and "Friends" tabs, so if you have 0 player encounters so far in Discoveries:
- 1/1 in People encountered (second picture): A game/app you own.
- 0/1 in People encountered: A game/app you don't own yet.

That's my guess. Someone who has players encountered in Discoveries could verify this.

Jburton

Banned

Mines work fine, although I did register with skyhook just in case ..... on the day my Vita arrived.

I'm surprised there's no manual explaining all the intricacies of the app. Even though I never used it as I don't have a vita, the app seems very confusing to be honest.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm surprised there's no manual explaining all the intricacies of the app. Even though I never used it as I don't have a vita, the app seems very confusing to be honest.
It's very confusing and intimidating at first, I agree. There should either be an elaborate manual for the app (where game manuals are located) or a tour the first time you launch it.

teiresias

The near UI is horrid and the app is just confusing. This had better be from the Japanese side of the house because I can't believe something like this would come out of a western software team.

undecided

took my vita out today while running errands in north austin, drove about 25 miles in 3-4 hours.

near shows nothing new aside from what it has scanned by my house, and said i traveled 1km

Not impressed with this app at all

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is there a way to manually correct the location detection? When I'm at home, my WiFi Vita is constantly reporting that I'm approx 2km away from where I really am. Maps application suffers form the same problem as well. Other locations seem to work better, except for some that don't work at all.

The near UI is horrid and the app is just confusing.
It's kind of confusing at first, but once you get around it it's pretty great. It's one of my go-to things all the time now.

took my vita out today while running errands in north austin, drove about 25 miles in 3-4 hours.

near shows nothing new aside from what it has scanned by my house, and said i traveled 1km

You needed to turn on auto updates in settings, I don't think it's turned on by default.

test_account

XP-39C²

Try to do a location refresh in about one hour or so. Maybe the stats will be updated then.

EDIT: Come to think of it, do you have a Wifi model only? Dont the Vita need to be able to connect to a Wifi hotspot somewhere to be able to auto update? If so, maybe you didnt pass any Wifi hotspots at your route.

DBT85

Ok, Vita is in forced standby again, no apps open, WiFi and 3G turned off. will report back in 90 minutes or so.

Update time again.

My vita once again rode shotgun on the way home, again in forced standby and again with no apps running and this time also with no 3G or WiFi.

It picked up no locations on my way home or once I was home. The next location it found was when i turned the 3G on about an hours after I got home.

It's clear that 3G is being used a lot to get locations, with it being in my car it was always going to struggle to get a GPS lock so with no way of knowing where it was it didn't find anything.

The only remaining test will be if it can find a location via GPS when it can get a signal while 3G and WiFi are still off.

For general use I'll be leaving 3G and WiFi on, it's not using much data at all and battery life doesn't appear to be an issue.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Does the Vita marks people friend-requesting through Near any differently? If not it should. I'd like to know whether whom I'm adding is a random stranger, a person I met online, or someone with a couple of miles from me.

Raonak

Banned
Weeee gamegoods. I want moar!

anyways; what does players encoutnered mean???
It says i've encountered a certain person 8 times.

I know near is asynchornous, so i didn't pass by him.
Im guessing it means i did an update when I was relatively close to where he did an update.

Shiv47

I'd love this to completely work, but the Out and About function just gives me the "error has occurred" message, even after a reset, same as it did before the reset. Everything else seems to work, like the gifts.

JVIDICAN

Does the Vita marks people friend-requesting through Near any differently? If not it should. I'd like to know whether whom I'm adding is a random stranger, a person I met online, or someone with a couple of miles from me.

if they accept the request they'll have a orange circle around their avatar. Besides that I don't think so.

Top Bottom