• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nebraska students can't stomach kangaroo chilli.

From https://thetakeout.com/nebraska-school-serves-kangaroo-chili-1829838460

Monday: Chicken nuggets. Tuesday: Pizza squares. Wednesday: Kangaroo chili? The exotic game meat is causing an uproar for the Potter-Dix Public School District in Potter, Nebraska, where superintendent Mike Williams this week issued an apology to parents after school cafeterias served students kangaroo-beef chili.
No, the meat wasn’t unsafe. No, it wasn’t expired or damaged. It was just… weird.
According to a statement posted to the school’s district’s website, head cook Kevin Frei, added the kangaroo meat to chili for October 10’s lunch because of its “nutritional value as a very lean meat.” According to Marx Foods, which sells kangaroo meat in the U.S., the meat has a slightly gamey flavor similar to venison. It boasts a 90/10 lean meat-to-fat ratio and, compared to lean beef, packs “more protein and significantly lower cholesterol.” School officials say they believe the ’roo meat met USDA standards.
So what’s the problem? Apparently, the kangaroo meat is just too exotic.
“If a family wants to eat exotic foods, they can do so on their own time–not at school,” superintendent Williams said in the statement. “If we were to have food or ingredients that are out of the ordinary, they should be listed on the menu… We will no way be serving be serving food of this nature again. Period.”
Personally, I’d rather eat chili made with lean game meat than roll the dice on a school cafeteria’s industrially supplied mystery meat, but I guess that’s a decision for each student to make individually.
“I apologize for the anxiety and any harm that this has caused any individual student or families,” Williams’ statement concluded. “We will make sure that something like this never occurs again.”

44229680_684933345220821_8135266862964408320_n.jpg

Lunch Playtimes over mother f***er!
1db51cd6.gif~c200

"Nothing wrong with it, but it's weird" was enough of an excuse? I could understand if someone -- somehow -- had a 'roo meat allergy or something. But don't we want healthier foods in schools?

God Enel

I mean I kinda can understand their point and that’s coming from a guy who ate dog-meat in cambodia (at leas that’s what they told me it is). It’s exotic yes and that’s why people don’t like it. I would try it for sure though, especially if it has good nutritional values.

Papa

Banned
lol what a bunch of pussies. Roo meat is super common in our supermarkets and is very lean and high in protein. Chef was doing them a favour.

Yeah I used to buy roo meat all the time. Add a couple of chicken wings. Fry with a dash of fish oil and Worcestershire sauce. My dog loved it.

Last edited:
"Nothing wrong with it, but it's weird" was enough of an excuse? I could understand if someone -- somehow -- had a 'roo meat allergy or something. But don't we want healthier foods in schools?

It's not really healthier. Most of the talk of benefits around it being lower in cholesterol and being leaner are pseudoscience.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Not even going to try to defend eating kangaroo meat.

They're almost bipedal. They box. They carry their young in a pouch in the front.

Don't eat them.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Kangaroo's delicious. I totally understand not wanting to eat dogs or cats since that's just not part of western culture, but 'roo meat is great. Same goes for crocodile, ostrich, buffalo, zebra, bison, boar etc. etc.

I especially recommend Ostrich burgers. Afro Café in Salzburg does an incredible Ostrich burger, or they did when I was there.

Not even going to try to defend eating kangaroo meat.

They're almost bipedal. They box. They carry their young in a pouch in the front.

Don't eat them.

Cows, goats, pigs etc. are all clever animals, and we eat them. I can't really see the justification for eating one of these animals over the other, but that's your prerogative.

Thurible

Just don't shoot the little baby in the pouch!
That gave me a very sad image :(

Reminds me of Bambi.

Anyway, I wonder what kind of flavor they have. If I ever go to australia I might give it a try. There are probably some places that import the meat into the states, but I would imagine it's not very fresh. A kangaroo burger or steak might be good, I can just imagine it barbequed with some steak sauce and some fries. :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:
Top Bottom