• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive food fight at a Monroe County high school ended with students being arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search couldn't find anything posted about this.

FRENCHTOWN TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) - A Monroe high school food fight ended with several students being arrested and others suspended.

The students who were arrested walked into court Wednesday in handcuffs and grey and black striped jail uniforms after spending the night in jail. The four high school students from Jefferson High School in Frenchtown Township in Monroe County, are accused of starting a food fight during lunch hour.

“Food fight. Going to jail for a food fight? Are you serious?” said 16-year-old Corey Long.

Long is friends with the four juniors and seniors arrested Tuesday afternoon at school by the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department. The four teens are charged with a misdemeanor for inciting a disturbance in a public building.

“Food just started to fly. And I just hit the deck. I got annihilated by peaches and tomatoes,” said Long.

Long says the food fight was started in fun, but he does not know who started it.
“I just threw what was left of my food on the ground and that’s what I got suspended for,” said Long.

Long was slapped with a ten day suspension. He says at least 16 other students were also suspended as well.

“They’re blowing it way out, way out of proportion,” said Corey’s mother Tina Long.

Tina was in court Wednesday afternoon and tried to take responsibility for one of her son’s friends because the teen’s mother could not leave work.

But the judge did not allow it so he has to remain in jail a second night.

All the other teens were released on a $500 dollar recognizance bond and into their parent’s custody.

They were basically placed under house arrest from 9:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. until their next court date.

Both the teens who were arrested and the ones who were suspended are not allowed to participate in any school activities, even ones off of school grounds.

“Every one of us did something goofy in high school. And now they want to do this to the kids?” said Tina Long.

No one was seriously injured in the food fight. There are now talks about expelling the students who were arrested.

The Superintendent of Jefferson Schools issued this statement to 7 Action News:

“The incident in our high school cafeteria on March 27th remains under investigation by the Monroe County Sheriff Department and we are cooperating fully with the police. We also have disciplined several high school students who were involved in the situation because we will not tolerate this type of behavior. This situation may have started with a food fight but the damage done to school property, and the potential for injury to innocent students as a result of the situation, has caused us to treat this more seriously than just some cafeteria horseplay. The safety and well-being of all of our students at Jefferson Schools is our top priority and we will do all we can to ensure that a safe, supportive learning environment is maintained at all times for all students. This is a student and school issue, and in respect to the individuals and families involved, we are not at liberty to discuss this issue in further detail.”

--Craig A. Haugen, Superintendent of Schools

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region...ts-being-arrested-and-suspended#ixzz1qcIozCYu

Source: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region...several-students-being-arrested-and-suspended

Video: http://news.yahoo.com/video/detroitwxyz-20910802/teens-charged-in-food-fight-28762981.html

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Doesn't this happen everywhere frequently?

I remember we had a gigantic food fight that was rumored about all day...and then all of a sudden this one kid stands up a throws a banana at some random table and the next thing you know it's like the wild wild west. Tables getting flipped. Food getting tossed from everywhere. Screaming. Laughter. Teachers wildly trying to get control.

Cops showed up and the kid who started it got arrested.

...good times man. Kids just being kids, but I get the concern I guess.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Actions and consequences, how do they work?
Jail time seems excessive and a needless use of public money though.

Cipherr

Had some massive food fights in school growing up. Maybe 3 or 4 really large ones. Noone was ever ARRESTED though, goddamn. Some suspensions perhaps.

Buxaroo

Neo Member
Jim Belushi approves

food_fight(1).jpg

You don't get to be a hero without taking risks.

Cry more, kid.

EDIT: This is also how I feel about protestors who cry about being arrested. You don't deserve the lolz or the social justice if you are not willing to suffer for it.

Koomaster

When I was involved in a food fight in school they just made us all clean it up. A good time was had, stuff got cleaned back to normal before the next lunch period; all over and done with.

Arresting and expelling teens is far overboard. Suspension if you must; really now.

Sonicbug

Man, when I was in high school some idiots decided to photocopy some money and pass it off at the in school branch of a local bank. The secret service ended up walking around for a week, I'm sure the kids got a suspension, but even those kids didn't end up expelled or in jail.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Suspend them, make them clean it up, make them pay back damages, that would be fine...putting them in jail is WAY overboard.

this. Unless they were throwing silverware or bottles. Its innocent, if i were them i would have laughed in the judges face and been like "seriously? for a FOOD fight? I guess its a slow day here"

mattoz85

I've been in one food fight. I was in 11th grade, I think. It happened very suddenly, and lasted about a minute. The teachers took control of the situation pretty quickly. I don't think anyone was suspended. How do you even figure out who started it in that situation?

gdt

Happened once at my high school. I just got under the table, didn't want to get my fly gear dirty.

Cipherr

Wow. JAIL for a high school food fight. What. the. fuck.

Oh..... highschool. Lol, last time I remember being in a food fight was in the 6th grade, and we were all a bit old for it even then. By highschool, there was no way a hundred of us were going to start throwing food. Waaaaaay to self absorbed and worried about the expensive clothes and shoes we were wearing by that point.

Actions and consequences, how do they work?

Disproportionately, apparently.

This is so stupid. I'm glad I'm old enough not to have to deal with this kind of bs from schools. I'd probably try to organize another food fight and see if they arrest and expel everyone in the cafeteria.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
this. Unless they were throwing silverware or bottles. Its innocent, if i were them i would have laughed in the judges face and been like "seriously? for a FOOD fight? I guess its a slow day here"
Judges love it when young kids laugh in their faces, judges have great senses of humor and they would probably realize the ludicrous nature of their sentencing and just let you go scot free.

Muddimar

I had a massive food fight at my middle school once. The power went out and our cafeteria didn't have windows. Everything went black for about 5 minutes or so. Within that 5 minute period a havoc unleashed lol. When the lights came back on only 2-3 people were actually caught throwing food (suspended), everyone else got away with an awesome food fight. I distinctly remember the principal being covered in food as if everyone knew where he was before the lights actually went out haha. I threw my apple, milk carton, and my tray and ran for the little bit of light the exit of the cafeteria provided.

985boi

At my high school, if you get into a fight, they'll call the cops over and have you arrested, you'll also get in-school suspension. Basically you sit in a classroom and do punish work instead of sitting at home doing nothing.

The couple food fights that broke out at my high school often had injuries associated with them. Students would throw chairs and unopened cans of soda. I know one of our elderly teachers had her forehead bloodied by a chair, but don't remember if charges were filed (ugh it's been over 10 years).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Anytime a food fight happened I bailed right the fuck out, course I always came back to see the aftermath.

TheNatural

My Member!
Pardon my tangent, but so far, I've seen jail now these past couple weeks from comments on Twitter and now food fights. And at the same time the whole country is in fury about a guy who shot dead a kid in cold blood not spending a night in jail.

What. The. Fuck.

The thing is, wasting food is a huge pet peeve of mine. I can't stand it. If you've ever truly been hungry you would never do something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom